Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Penguissimo posted:

You might be better off waiting a few days/hours/minutes and just flashing a rooted FRG83G image, which I'm sure will be up on XDA before long.

Will do... in the meantime, is there any way to stop the constant pop up annoying me to update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I Autonooted mine so it's just running 2.1 over the B&N Home because I wanted to have the flexibility to revert for warranty poo poo, and it's fine for me... haven't had many issues other then on some Live wallpapers it will chug in ADW, but then again, I mostly use a static wallpaper anyway since Live wallpapers are just a waste of battery power.

I've had mine rooted for a while now, I want more. Mostly real flash support and actually having all the loving OS options available and that ugly grey on white B&N interface needs to go.

and now I can't get my sd card erased and unpartitioned again to try a different ROM, so I guess I've done a Bad Thing until I get to work tomorrow and have a linux machine to mess around with.

I hate trying to mess with roms and partitions and sd cards in Windows. It's just so loving tedious compared to an OSX or Linux machine. :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Alright. I`ve (finally) rooted my Optimus One. Next question- how do I get into Custom Recovery Mode so I can partition my SD card and start using some custom ROMs? I`ve flashed the file to the root of the SD card, but when I do the 3-button combo it just starts up my phone as usual. No recovery mode.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

melon cat posted:

Alright. I`ve (finally) rooted my Optimus One. Next question- how do I get into Custom Recovery Mode so I can partition my SD card and start using some custom ROMs? I`ve flashed the file to the root of the SD card, but when I do the 3-button combo it just starts up my phone as usual. No recovery mode.

I forget what the button push combo is, but if you get ROM Manager it should have an option to boot into recovery mode.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chomper posted:

Will do... in the meantime, is there any way to stop the constant pop up annoying me to update?

Actually, good news...it looks like the rooted image is already available!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/104030-rooted-stock-odexed-deodexed-frg83d.html

I didn't realise that FRG83D was the OTA from December, though. Didn't the OG Droid just get another OTA in the past week or two? I'd double-check to make sure that FRG83D is the one you're being prompted for, since if it's not the newest one, you'll just get pestered to update again as soon as you install this one anyway.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fuzz posted:

I Autonooted mine so it's just running 2.1 over the B&N Home because I wanted to have the flexibility to revert for warranty poo poo, and it's fine for me... haven't had many issues other then on some Live wallpapers it will chug in ADW, but then again, I mostly use a static wallpaper anyway since Live wallpapers are just a waste of battery power.

The NC can always boot off of SD, and there are SD cards that can restore you to a 100% stock state.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

the posted:

I forget what the button push combo is, but if you get ROM Manager it should have an option to boot into recovery mode.
I downloaded the app (which looks and sounds awesome, by the way), but the same thing's happening! It restarts my phone, then goes into the first-time user set-up, but no recovery mode. :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Did you tell ROM Manager to flash recovery first?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I just tried out the latest MIUI and was impressed with where it's headed but will have to stick with CM7 until the next release. The bugs such as white lettering on the gray backgrounds and overall sluggish performance (might be due to using themes designed before MIUI GB) and other small things didn't make it a great daily driver for me. Can't wait for the next release though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

chomper posted:

So apparently I need to update my OG Motorola Droid to the new FRG83G...

Is this still rootable? Will my usual rooting method still work?

I would hate to upgrade and be stuck with stock.

I was able to reroot my OG Droid on FRG83G using the superoneclick method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

After I stopped and started the debug mode a few times during the root like he mentions you do, it states that the device is busy a few times. But just let it run and it finished out rooted again.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Here's a dumb question that my Google-fu is failing me on. In CM6, there were settings to disable certain orientations from flipping portrait/landscape. I really don't like the 270 degree turn, since I never hold my phone upside down and the sensors in the G2 are incredibly sensitive so it ends up that way anyway. These settings seem to be gone in CM7; are they tucked away somehwere? Or is there another solution to limiting orientation to 0 and 90 degrees?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I don't think that option is there in CM7. Looked high and low for it when it first came out in settings. These days, I just resort to having an orientation on/off toggle when I'm in bed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't think that option is there in CM7. Looked high and low for it when it first came out in settings. These days, I just resort to having an orientation on/off toggle when I'm in bed.

The 180 degree option is still under CyanogenMod settings > Display but I can't see 270 anywhere

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

dissss posted:

The 180 degree option is still under CyanogenMod settings > Display but I can't see 270 anywhere

Yeah that one I saw, to "opt-in" on vertical inverse orientation, but nothing for horizontal inverse. :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah that one I saw, to "opt-in" on vertical inverse orientation, but nothing for horizontal inverse. :(

That functionality was added officially in (I want to say) Froyo, so for CM7 they moved to the official implementation for it which means no off switch, I believel

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've tried rooting my Droid X and I cannot get it to work. Can anyone whose done it recently give any tips? The first time I tried it stopped at "Waiting for phone". After that I couldn't even get the program to find the phone on the computer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

I've tried rooting my Droid X and I cannot get it to work. Can anyone whose done it recently give any tips? The first time I tried it stopped at "Waiting for phone". After that I couldn't even get the program to find the phone on the computer.

Just put z4root on your phone and run it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

travisray2004 posted:

So I just tried out the latest MIUI and was impressed with where it's headed but will have to stick with CM7 until the next release. The bugs such as white lettering on the gray backgrounds and overall sluggish performance (might be due to using themes designed before MIUI GB) and other small things didn't make it a great daily driver for me. Can't wait for the next release though.

Don't know about the performance but if you put whatever app into Compatible mode it'll get rid of the white text.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

MindlessHavok posted:

Don't know about the performance but if you put whatever app into Compatible mode it'll get rid of the white text.

Thank you, didn't know that. Regarding the performance; turns out the refurb Incredible I got is a piece. I tried other roms and they were dog slow, reverted to absolute stock and it barely chugs on so I called Verizon back and had them send another.

Actually on a similar note: what's everone's opinion of AMOLED vs. SLCD?
I've read the Engadget comparison and came out not having an opinion of either side. I've heard that AMOLED is the clear best, but that's basically because of contrast and brightness. Could anyone that knows more about the two chime in?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've used both, and amoled is better. That being said it's not worth having to put up with the rest of Samsung's crap to get it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I thank Jesus Christ himself I managed to get a Nexus One with the AMOLED instead of the SLCD.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CM7 on Evo question - I live in AZ where we laugh at silly practices such as Daylight Savings Time. Yet for some reason, my Exchange calendar has been all hosed up on my phone since the switch. My phone is properly getting my timezone as MST, but it looks like recurring Exchange events that were set up before the daylight savings switchover are now showing up on my phone's Exchange calendar an hour earlier than they should.

The same exact events show up on my actual Exchange calendar (ie via Outlook and/or Outlook Web Access) at the correct time, as well as on my boss' phone (Evo running Sprint Lovers). Thoughts?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I thank Jesus Christ himself I managed to get a Nexus One with the AMOLED instead of the SLCD.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Here's to hoping that the refurb I get isn't one of the newer Incredibles with SLCD then, I suppose.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, considering some of the AMOLED phone screens in use don't have a proper complement of subpixels or whatever:

I'd rather have LCDs with the proper number and order of Red Green and Blue than the pentile AMOLEDs. The AMOLED screen on my Zune HD is gorgeous and does the RGB in the same ratio unlike that panel closeup of a Nexus One pentile AMOLED.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
See, stuff like that is what leaves me baffled. What am I even supposed to be looking for?

E: the pixels cut off on the side?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 23, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

fishmech posted:

Eh, considering some of the AMOLED phone screens in use don't have a proper complement of subpixels or whatever:

I'd rather have LCDs with the proper number and order of Red Green and Blue than the pentile AMOLEDs. The AMOLED screen on my Zune HD is gorgeous and does the RGB in the same ratio unlike that panel closeup of a Nexus One pentile AMOLED.

To be fair that never bothered me with my Galaxy S. The best thing you can do is determine if the screen is pentile or not then go and view one in store to see if it bothers you. There's only a subset of the population that can even see it. I couldn't even when putting the phone painfully close to my eyes.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
geez you guys scared me, I just got another warranty replacement and had to check to see if I still had an amoled display on my N1.

edit: Yeah, pentile's really no difference to me. Some people can just see the subpixels better. It mostly affects text borders.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

travisray2004 posted:

See, stuff like that is what leaves me baffled. What am I even supposed to be looking for?

E: the pixels cut off on the side?

Where you see a group of Green line/ Blue rectangle or Green line / Red rectangle, a normal display would have red green and blue lines in the same space. It can make various things look weird since you have fewer red and blue subpixels than an average display.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

fishmech posted:

Where you see a group of Green line/ Blue rectangle or Green line / Red rectangle, a normal display would have red green and blue lines in the same space. It can make various things look weird since you have fewer red and blue subpixels than an average display.

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I don't know how I feel about pentile AMOLED screens (which the Incredibles have). Whenever I go into cellphone dealers, I feel that the phones on display have screens that are way more vibrant but I haven't looked into what kind they are, not to mention that I hardly ever run my phone at full brightness (which they probably are).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I can't seem to update clockword mod through rom manager anymore. It says its flashed to the latest version but when I reboot to recovery its still the old version. I've tried doing it manually through ADB and I just get a huge string of I/O errors from my SD card. (Which is otherwise working perfectly well in normal use) Any ideas on what might be up?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I can't seem to update clockword mod through rom manager anymore. It says its flashed to the latest version but when I reboot to recovery its still the old version. I've tried doing it manually through ADB and I just get a huge string of I/O errors from my SD card. (Which is otherwise working perfectly well in normal use) Any ideas on what might be up?

I had this problem once and simply updating to another version or changing versions then updating to the absolute latest usually worked for me.

or if it comes down to it, try locating a CW update image for your phone and then update it via HBOOT

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 23, 2011

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Just put z4root on your phone and run it.

It's still not working. It says to enable USB debugging(which it is) and then takes me to the settings page to turn it on(which it already is).

:smith:

edit: As with all technology, turning it off and on again fixed it :woop:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 23, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

It's still not working.

Weird. What other method were you trying before? Maybe it did something strange. Would a factory reset be out of the question?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

travisray2004 posted:

What am I even supposed to be looking for?

Nothing. Normal people don't sperg out and stare into their cell phone screens looking for that kind of thing. AMOLED tends to have far better blacks and color saturation and in person it looked far better than the comparable LCD. It really is a personal preference but not a very important one. As for the pentile stuff, /shrug. The only time I ever saw the grid is when I held my phone up directly next to a desk lamp and looked at it sideways.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Does anyone have the problem where their phone screen will just not come on? I know the phone wakes up because the buttons light up like they normally do, but no screen.
It happens to me every couple weeks it seems. The only fix is to pull the battery.

CM7 on AMOLED Nexus One.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nothing. Normal people don't sperg out and stare into their cell phone screens looking for that kind of thing. AMOLED tends to have far better blacks and color saturation and in person it looked far better than the comparable LCD. It really is a personal preference but not a very important one. As for the pentile stuff, /shrug. The only time I ever saw the grid is when I held my phone up directly next to a desk lamp and looked at it sideways.

Both pentile and non-pentile AMOLED screens are out and in use, and the pentile ones can have weird color artifacts or similar issues in certain situations that non-pentile AMOLED or LCD won't have.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Since this might be a CM7-related issue, posting it here. I can't update more than 2 apps at a time for some odd reason. I get a "Not enough memory" error, when I've got 800 MB of internal storage left for apps. Anyone else have this?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

All the time on my G2. Randomly I'll get "insufficient storage." The number of apps being updated doesn't matter, I've had 4 updates go at once and no problems, and other times it struggles to install a single application.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

All the time on my G2. Randomly I'll get "insufficient storage." The number of apps being updated doesn't matter, I've had 4 updates go at once and no problems, and other times it struggles to install a single application.

I get this all the time since being on CM7 (g2). Looking at the manage applications.. I have 0.99gb free. It's annoying, but if I tell it to reinstall it usually takes care of it. Not a big enough issue, but still stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Godzilla07 posted:

Since this might be a CM7-related issue, posting it here. I can't update more than 2 apps at a time for some odd reason. I get a "Not enough memory" error, when I've got 800 MB of internal storage left for apps. Anyone else have this?

Not having this issue, but it seems like it might be that your cache mount maybe full, and it is having difficulty figuring out what to move out of the way. Next time this happens, try flushing your browser's cache and see if that clears it up. If so, report it as a bug to CM.