Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

DanTheFryingPan posted:

15 Thoughts on Composition by Alan Briot over at Luminous Landscape:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/composition_top_15.shtml

LL is often good, but I expect more of their contributors. I wouldn't argue with any of these but I wish they were expanded on.

poopinmymouth posted:

He consistently hates on anything that has even a modicum of mainstream appeal.

I take exception to that assertion, mainstream appeal does not have to equate to blandness. This particular photographer isn't doing anything interesting beyond demonstrating the field isolation of the lens ad nauseum (often in ways which negatively affect the photo, why have so much background space if it is irrelevant?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

HPL posted:

I guess if you really, really wanted that look and were willing to put in some extra work, you could get a medium format camera like a Mamiya 645 and a 150mm f/2.8 for a fraction of the price.

I think you would need a 300mm to keep the focal lengths equivalent in order to get the same compression, but yeah, MF would probably be an easier solution.

spf3million posted:

What's so good about those? It looks like about 50% are just pics of his hot gf standing around in different places.

I guess I should have specified. Most of those pictures are lame and unimpressive but two or three stand out as being quite nice. The purpose of linking to them was to show what kind of shots you could get with that particular lens considering it's very rare and you don't see many photos taken with it, not because he's some great photographer (although I do think he's taken some good shots over the years).

Reichstag posted:

Nothing.

You're so dramatic.

brad industry posted:

Clearly you have to be bitter to not appreciate the subtle genius of Flickr user mister bokeh.

The one thing you have to keep in mind about this guy is that, as embarrassingly stupid as it is to have a name that incorporates the word 'bokeh', he started using it waaaay before it became what it is today. And now it's just sort of attached to him so he uses it. But if you forget about all that and actually look at his pictures, he does occasionally do good work.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

I think you would need a 300mm to keep the focal lengths equivalent in order to get the same compression, but yeah, MF would probably be an easier solution.

I thought the whole 200mm f/1.8 business was about background separation as opposed to compression? You'd have to stand closer with medium format for the same shot which would give you better background separation, wouldn't it? I mean if it was about compression, any old 200mm f/2.8 or f/4 would do for 35mm/APS-C.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, compression and shallow depth are not necessarily opposites. You could compress a scene thing with a long focal length but still get plenty of background separation with shallow depth of field.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

This is a pretty cool use of HDR:

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/03/19/red-hdrx-gets-the-impossible-shot/

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Rated PG-34 posted:

We are using epic on the movie I am working on and it is the most amazing piece of electronics I have ever seen hands down. It takes better stills than any camera I know as well.

Film is dead as soon as these bad boys are widely available.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Rated PG-34 posted:

That can't be HDR.. there's no blooming, no grungy details, and no clownpuke colors. Where's my clownpuke, dammit?! :colbert:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mannequin posted:

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, compression and shallow depth are not necessarily opposites. You could compress a scene thing with a long focal length but still get plenty of background separation with shallow depth of field.

And I could be wrong too (and I most likely am) but the closer you can get to the subject, the more separation you get in that DOF shrinks and the background blurs more and more, right? So if you can use a longer focal length while maintaining or shortening distance to the subject, you should get even more background blur? Aw crap, now I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone going to Photoshop World in Orlando next week? I don't have the funds to attend the full thing this year, but I will be there for the free expo pass. Especially considering it's 5 minutes from my house.

If you haven't heard of the conference, despite the name it's actually mostly geared towards photography and photographers though there are a few classes that dabble in other arts. As you would expect, most of the classes are on the post processing side of things but there is a healthy number technique and business classes too. It's also a great place to network.

As for the free expo pass, it was pretty cool and totally worth going if you're in the area. It's fun to check out the vendors and play with all the gear you've only read about online. I remember the Wescott booth being really neat and someone had a booth with a ton of different tripods for sale. Bring some money if you can because you'll probably find something you'll want to buy. However, I'd have to say the best part of the expo pass is that they put on free bonus classes all day. Last year I went to David Ziser's class and ended up learning a lot in the hour he spoke.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I believe compression is the phenomenon where things in the background look bigger relative to the foreground when a longer lens is used. I do not think the aperture affects this aside from the obvious impact on DOF. A great example of compression are people who specialize in taking pictures of the moon. They use compression to make the moon seem bigger than it actually is. They'll use a 200mm+ focal length and shoot the moon behind something and this makes it look huge. They typically try to have their "foreground" subject be on the horizon so that they can keep both the moon and the "foreground" subject in focus while using a wide aperture. They could use a smaller aperture and this won't affect the relative size of the foreground/moon but it's night time and the moon is moving so they can't use a long exposure (forced to use a small aperture and hence have the subject far away for DOF purposes). There's no reason why you couldn't use a closer subject for the foreground and a stationary object for the background which you want to appear bigger. You would only need a smaller aperture to keep them both in focus.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Reichstag posted:

LL is often good, but I expect more of their contributors. I wouldn't argue with any of these but I wish they were expanded on.

I take exception to that assertion, mainstream appeal does not have to equate to blandness. This particular photographer isn't doing anything interesting beyond demonstrating the field isolation of the lens ad nauseum (often in ways which negatively affect the photo, why have so much background space if it is irrelevant?).

I found the LL article too shallow as well.

Several of his photos are interesting, pleasing, and have good composition, unless you are asserting that you can universally declare a body of work worthless? What makes your tastes so great?

Letting a background blur does not make it empty, and even if it were empty, negative space has been used for framing since the beginning of time. His photos where it is most successful might be largely accidental, and I've already said he probably uses the lens as a crutch, but going bokeh overboard isn't always detrimental to the image.

Plus the link specifically led to only his images shot with the 200mm 1.8, not his entire body of work.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

http://vimeo.com/5186819

1984 T70 ad with Larry Bird, and 1981 AE1 Program ad with John Newcombe

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for an SLR before, maybe it's just been too long.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHyHfuc53s
Shoot like a pro with guide mode! :suicide:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 22, 2011

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Choose a lower f number to blur the background!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Did they borrow their music from Death To Smoochy?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

BobTheCow posted:

Choose a lower f number to blur the background!

At least they kept it accurate and it only went down to f/4.5. I used a 50D and it has a "blurry" setting and doesn't even mention f stops. It just has a slider that goes from "more blurry" to "less blurry".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a TV ad for an SLR before, maybe it's just been too long.

- Wonder why none of your photos came out because you took a nightclub photo at 1/4000 f/5.6

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

At least they kept it accurate and it only went down to f/4.5. I used a 50D and it has a "blurry" setting and doesn't even mention f stops. It just has a slider that goes from "more blurry" to "less blurry".

gently caress.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Fuji guys tweeted that the X100 has landed in Canada. Should see them in stores next week. :hellyeah:

When I was browsing the dpreview forums for info, I noticed people were seriously concerned about radioactive cameras :downsgun:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Guy I know who manages a camera store in town here posted this on facebook (This is in Canada)

quote:

Sorry fellas "The Fuji Guys" didn't say you could buy an X100 today, that is not what "shipping to retailers soon" means.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I never bothered exploring what "creative auto" was on my camera until recently, but I can confirm this. "Make background more blurry". OH GOOD.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

William T. Hornaday posted:

Did they borrow their music from Death To Smoochy?

After I read this I was listening to the commercial and was thinking "is this guy crazy?" and then it started up.. hilarious!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Considering the type of person who would be using a "guide mode" on a loving dslr the canon method of "less\more blurry" makes more sense than displaying f stop numbers.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

I never bothered exploring what "creative auto" was on my camera until recently, but I can confirm this. "Make background more blurry". OH GOOD.

More cameras are adding automatic HDR. Next thing you know, its automatic sparkly awards printed right into the EXIF, which uploaded to Flickr, creates a comment.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

psylent posted:

I know a professional photographer who exclusively uses creative auto.

:(

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

I know a professional photographer who exclusively uses creative auto.

:(

Are they exclusively a studio photographer? and if not did you slap them?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

keyframe posted:

Considering the type of person who would be using a "guide mode" on a loving dslr the canon method of "less\more blurry" makes more sense than displaying f stop numbers.

Just remember it like this: Canon/Nikon want to market to the people that weren't already going to buy a camera. You are the type of user that knows settings, knows what various cameras can do, and will know what you want to upgrade to when the time comes. These ads are trying to get people that DON'T know those things to buy a camera.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Are they exclusively a studio photographer? and if not did you slap them?

I wanted to so bad. Sadly they'll probably be more successful than I ever will.

Beer Coaster
Jul 30, 2002

The original ad was taken down earlier.

Bonus points for having a $700 lens but not knowing how to post an image to Craigslist.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

I remember the Andre Agassi Canon commercials growing up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwoxBRAYwsI

That one is the best, it has loving AWESOME song.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Celebrity endorsements are fun.

As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I've been helping the owner of a defunct photo store with inventory and liquidation. While she was out, one of her kids was rooting around in the basement and found an old, dusty, life-sized stand-up cardboard Bill Cosby torso from back when he did Kodak ads. They set it up behind the counter.

Later that night, the owner comes into the dark store, sees Bill Cosby's silhouette lurking in the dark by the registers and proceeds to flip the gently caress out, almost called 911 thinking that he was a burglar. So much cursing ensued.

I'm gonna see if I can keep the cutout and use it to torment anyone who visits my apartment.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 23, 2011

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Celebrity endorsements are fun.

As I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I've been helping the owner of a defunct photo store with inventory and liquidation. While she was out, one of her kids was rooting around in the basement and found an old, dusty, life-sized stand-up cardboard Bill Cosby torso from back when he did Kodak ads. They set it up behind the counter.

Later that night, the owner comes into the dark store, sees Bill Cosby's silhouette lurking in the dark by the registers and proceeds to flip the gently caress out, almost called 911 thinking that he was a burglar. So much cursing ensued.

I'm gonna see if I can keep the cutout and use it to torment anyone who visits my apartment.

If Cosby was white, this mistake wouldn't have happened :v:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Rated PG-34 posted:

If Cosby was white, this mistake wouldn't have happened :v:

Well, it is the Colorwatch system...

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

keyframe posted:

They're trying to familiarize newbies to what all these numbers mean.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
My little brother wants to borrow my XT for a day so he can be "one of those Asians with huge cameras hanging from their necks" while he's hanging out with his friends. I'm going to cry when he comes back and his Auto pictures are better than anything I could ever make :negative:

e: Oh God I just played with his Lumix DMC-ZS7 P&S and the LCD is so much nicer than my XT :qq:

Casull fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 23, 2011

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
i like having my P mode turned off in custom functions on my camera because it makes me feel superior

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I removed my mode dial after setting it to M :colbert:.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

ease posted:

I removed my mode dial after setting it to M :colbert:.

I set mine to P and take good pictures anyway, just to add a challenge to overcome. :smug:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

I set mine to P and take good pictures anyway, just to add a challenge to overcome. :smug:

You guys are still setting dials? I don't even put batteries in anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the hell is P? Full auto?