Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

eating only apples posted:

No, they can't. Twitter is dumb like that.

How is this dumb? You think any person with more than a few thousand followers wants to see the @'s from people they dont follow clogging up their feeds?

If you want to see the @'s then just search them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Golbez posted:

I have my first salaried job, and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to account for every hour I'm not at work? I know we get a certain amount of PTO, but does that really apply to salarymen or is it just saying, "if you need to go over this ask us"? Because if I DO have to care about recording how much time I take off, and I can't get overtime, then what's the point?

I ask since I took off a few hours early to go to the doctor, and I was wondering if I was going to be shorted on my pay check this week because of it, and haven't gone back in to ask.

The way it worked at my last job, any day that you worked more than 4 hours was a full day. So if I worked from 9-2 and then left for a doctor's appointment, that was a full day's work. If I worked from 9-12 and left for the day, then I had to take half a day of paid time off to cover the extra time. Half day increments were the smallest increment we could do time off in. We did not get paid for any overtime.

It might be different at your job, though. I would ask your manager or HR.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eating only apples posted:

No, they can't. Twitter is dumb like that.

That's not dumb, why should protected tweets become visible like that?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Drevoak posted:

I'm trying to remember where I heard this but I think it was in a movie. A guy asks his friends if a female alien would visit the earth, would they have sex with her because it would end up be the best ever or something like that. After they all say yes, someone said no because everytime after that it wouldn't be as good as that one time. I thought it was City Slickers but subzin.com says no.

If you've got a quote from that scene (or any scene in the movie) you can remember (or an actor's name even), try Googling the quote or check IMDB.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I got a traffic ticket in February, and I keep trying to register for online traffic school, but it keeps saying "Citation not found." My court date is coming up in early April so I'm wondering what my other options are (trying to avoid going to court as much as possible, obviously). Why the heck is the site not finding my citation? This is in Los Angeles if that matters.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I remember an article a long time ago, I'm pretty sure on the onion site, it was supposed to be something like the iraqi information minister talking about defending a hotel room with stuff in a tone like "yankee infidels will meet their bloody end when they round the hot tub"

any clue? I'm like Ray Charles with google tonight. I can't see poo poo. Does the onion remove old stuff?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I need help with Microsoft Excel!

I have to make 3 line graphs, which I did. It's temperature over time stuff. However, I'm supposed to compare these 3 graphs and the time spent recording the temperature for the 3 trials are different. Is there a way to extend the horizontal axes of the shorter graphs to match that of the longest graph? As it is now each graph's horizontal axis stops where the data stops, but I need it to keep going to achieve a visual representation!
Much obliged folks.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Fire In The Disco posted:

The way it worked at my last job, any day that you worked more than 4 hours was a full day. So if I worked from 9-2 and then left for a doctor's appointment, that was a full day's work. If I worked from 9-12 and left for the day, then I had to take half a day of paid time off to cover the extra time. Half day increments were the smallest increment we could do time off in. We did not get paid for any overtime.

It might be different at your job, though. I would ask your manager or HR.

It's probably different everywhere. For instance at my job nobody has ever said anything about me coming in late/early or leaving early... but sometimes I have to work late so it all balances out. Depends on how anal they are though. Often also the official policy is not enforced to the letter so it depends on how lenient your manager is. In many cases it's better to see which way the wind blows rather than ask your manager outright. If you ask your manager they'll just state company policy unless they're really relaxed.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I remember an article a long time ago, I'm pretty sure on the onion site, it was supposed to be something like the iraqi information minister talking about defending a hotel room with stuff in a tone like "yankee infidels will meet their bloody end when they round the hot tub"

any clue? I'm like Ray Charles with google tonight. I can't see poo poo. Does the onion remove old stuff?

AFAIK it's all there. You have to click on Archive and then browse the year you want. The "Iraqi Information Minister" is a meme dating from April 2003,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2003/04/58452

so you should probably start there.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Fun Times! posted:

I need help with Microsoft Excel!

I have to make 3 line graphs, which I did. It's temperature over time stuff. However, I'm supposed to compare these 3 graphs and the time spent recording the temperature for the 3 trials are different. Is there a way to extend the horizontal axes of the shorter graphs to match that of the longest graph? As it is now each graph's horizontal axis stops where the data stops, but I need it to keep going to achieve a visual representation!
Much obliged folks.

I'm not entirely sure if I understand your problem, but right click the x axis and change the values in Axis Options: Minimum and Maximum:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm able to do that for the y axis, but the options for the x axis look like this.

I tried fooling with the option "Axis Type: Automatically select based on data" and changing it to the other options but to no avail.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I think your problem is using line graphs, which are useless. Use the scatter plot instead, and change the points to lines to mimic the line graphs. Scatter plots allow you to change both axes.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Ah, you're right! There's a chart type called "Scatter with smooth lines" which is just a more customizable line graph. Which makes me wonder why the hell the regular line graph exists. :crossarms:
Thanks for the help!

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Binowru posted:

I got a traffic ticket in February, and I keep trying to register for online traffic school, but it keeps saying "Citation not found." My court date is coming up in early April so I'm wondering what my other options are (trying to avoid going to court as much as possible, obviously). Why the heck is the site not finding my citation? This is in Los Angeles if that matters.

Call the loving court. Find the number on the ticket or online and call the clerk and ask them what to do.

Opposite
Mar 31, 2009

Wait...what?
I found on WhatPulse.com a group named SomethingawfulGoons but its password protected. Is there a team that represents SA on WhatPulse? Searching for it only brings me to this thread.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Anyone know what the going rate for Iphone 4 screen replacement is at the Apple Store in Canada?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

vxskud posted:

Anyone know what the going rate for Iphone 4 screen replacement is at the Apple Store in Canada?

$229 flat fee for any out of warranty repairs, says http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Canada&product=iphone

I guess they just give you a refurb

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I just got my graduate school diploma and want to get it professionally framed.

How much is that going to run me?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Angora posted:

Anywhere from ~$20 (aluminum, no matting, cheap backing) to thousands of dollars of hand carved ivory frame.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Angora posted:

Unless it's an engineering degree, you can't afford it.
:goonsay:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Eyeball posted:

Unless it's an engineering degree, you can't afford it.
:goonsay:

:( So true. Anyway, they make a lot of frames that are diploma sized, so you can probably get it something fairly nice looking (and matted) for relatively cheap. If you want a custom frame, like to choose the particular wood & decorative details, it'll be more. If you choose a premade frame and use the glass/plastic that comes with it, it'll be relatively cheap, but if you get a custom frame or prefer to get glare-free glass, it'll be more. Count on over $100, probably over $200 if you go custom.

You can definitely take it around to different frame shops and get estimates. Michaels often has framing sales, too.

(disclaimer: I am not a framer. I got a thing framed recently and at half off it was still $250 or so, but it was a weird size & I double matted it and got nice glass, so YMMV.)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Angora posted:

Any Walmart/Target/KMart/CVS/Rite-Aid will have a $20 frame meant for standard sized diplomas. Any good sized art supply store will also have a wider selection of pre-made frames than the others I listed so you can find the right size and have some options with the molding. But don't get a premade frame if it's something special to you, they're cheap and kind of crap.

Look in your yellow pages for a local framing store, call for a quick estimate and then go stop by. A good professional frame job on what I assume is about a 10x12 piece of paper will probably run you $50 for a basic job at a nice mom and pop framing store to $150 if you splurg for some really nice molding, matting and glass. I'd say you shouldn't spend more than $100, though. A lot of art supply stores may have framing departments, but in my experience they tend to be more expensive then a dedicated framing company.

edit: Oh, and check around for coupons, like maybe in a regional newspaper. I see coupons for framing stores all the time in those little monthly coupon packets for local businesses that come in the mail (don't know if you get those).

I'm also going to acknowledge that the custom framing stores I've worked with were run by kindly old timers, and a couple of factors might have caused me to get slightly better rates then are typical, but I dunno. My experience is with just 4 framing stores working on about 20 pieces and having bought a couple of premade frames here and there.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 23, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Angora posted:

I got this done for $59 at a local Art and Frame shop:

Michaels (the art supply store) wanted $125 for an even shittier frame and a one inch mat, and that is after using a 50% off coupon. Moral of story: Check some local spots.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Michaels (the art supply store) wanted $125 for an even shittier frame and a one inch mat, and that is after using a 50% off coupon. Moral of story: Check some local spots.

Yeah, Michael's is the source of all my comments about art stores doing framing. I got JACKED there on a frame for an old movie poster for my parents.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Would this bike be good for a 14-year-old boy?
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Solut...00904031&sr=1-4

Is it "cool" enough?

I asked his mother to get his inseam and torso measurements, because that's what someone else told me to do, but I'm not positive what to do with them. I think he's about 5'2".
How do I know which: 16",18", or 20" frame?
Is one of those options better for him a year or two from now?

The price seems really good; is it just really stupid in general to buy a bike from the internet?

I am loving his mother.

a fellow creative
Sep 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How can I tell my mom I'm Wiccan?

I have been pondering this question over and over in my mind and I am still unsure of what to do. She told me I can't be Wiccan, but to be quite honest I shall not listen, this is what I believe in. If I don't tell her and she finds out then I will be in even more trouble. I need to tell her in a straightforward way that won't sound offensive or rude. I really don't want to upset her, but she needs to know the truth. How can I tell her I'm Wiccan?

Oh and by the way, she is very strongly a Christian and believes in Jesus Christ very strongly as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Very Strange Things posted:

Would this bike be good for a 14-year-old boy?
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Solut...00904031&sr=1-4

Is it "cool" enough?

Couldn't tell you about the frame sizing, but for that kind of money, I would check out a local bike shop to see if they have a good used bike. An older/used bike that used to cost more will have better component parts that won't wear out as fast.

Cool depends on what the kid is like. If he'd be happy to have a bike to ride around in, the Schwinn is fine. If he likes new things, it might be better, too. On the other hand, if he's into bikes, he'd probably prefer a used but higher quality bikes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a fellow creative posted:

I have been pondering this question over and over in my mind and I am still unsure of what to do. She told me I can't be Wiccan, but to be quite honest I shall not listen, this is what I believe in. If I don't tell her and she finds out then I will be in even more trouble. I need to tell her in a straightforward way that won't sound offensive or rude. I really don't want to upset her, but she needs to know the truth. How can I tell her I'm Wiccan?

Oh and by the way, she is very strongly a Christian and believes in Jesus Christ very strongly as well.

Your fake questions really aren't funny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BorderPatrol posted:

Your fake questions really aren't funny.

It's a shame cuz I really like that avatar. A fellow creative, you should pursue an E/N thread, as your questions here have been fairly related to a central issue.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Couldn't tell you about the frame sizing, but for that kind of money, I would check out a local bike shop to see if they have a good used bike. An older/used bike that used to cost more will have better component parts that won't wear out as fast.

Cool depends on what the kid is like. If he'd be happy to have a bike to ride around in, the Schwinn is fine. If he likes new things, it might be better, too. On the other hand, if he's into bikes, he'd probably prefer a used but higher quality bikes.
The local bike shop isn't open until Sunday, and his birthday isn't long after that. Your suggestion is quite sound though; if the timing works out I would prefer to shop local, conserve some resources by keeping an older bike going, and possibly end up with a better bike.

a fellow creative posted:

I would just continuing to pretend you believe in her brand of Fairy Tales instead of yours. She's your mom.

Alkuan
Sep 8, 2006

Please hide me from those Berzerker's, they wont stop staring.
I'm planning to move across the country, from Alaska to Massachusetts. I'm going to drive my car, which will easily hold most of my personal belongings. However there are a few things that wont fit, like my winter tires, bike, & skis that i don't want to sell or leave behind. Whats the best way to ship this kind of crap? I feel like using a postal service would savage me on these, any suggestions?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For some of those items I think its going to be less expensive, or at least as expensive, to just sell it now and re-buy equivalents when you get there.

If you must bring these specific items with you, see if Amtrak is an option. I know shipping with them via rail is pretty affordable. You could also get a container (like the PODS company) and have that shipped, but its not cheap. When I looked into that type of service for my move from Wisconsin to Philadelphia the cheapest I could find was $800 for a half container.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

nesbit37 posted:

For some of those items I think its going to be less expensive, or at least as expensive, to just sell it now and re-buy equivalents when you get there.

If you must bring these specific items with you, see if Amtrak is an option. I know shipping with them via rail is pretty affordable. You could also get a container (like the PODS company) and have that shipped, but its not cheap. When I looked into that type of service for my move from Wisconsin to Philadelphia the cheapest I could find was $800 for a half container.

There is definitely no way to get from Alaska to Massachusettes by any kind of rail including Amtrak. Trying to move from Alaska is really going to put a halt to a lot of options you'd ordinarily have in the lower 48.

Alkuan, can't you mount your skis on the roof of the car, and possibly do the same with the bike, maybe partially disassembled? That should work, and save you for having to pay freight rates through UPS/FedEx/USPS.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Alkuan posted:

Whats the best way to ship this kind of crap? I feel like using a postal service would savage me on these, any suggestions?

If you're not 100% concerned about losing it, you can try finding a Greyhound station. They'll put your stuff on a pallet and haul it along. I can't get their site to show any AK origin locations, though:
http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

There's also this:
http://www.uship.com/
It's the Craigslist of private transports. You get what you pay for, so be careful going too cheap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alkuan posted:

I'm planning to move across the country, from Alaska to Massachusetts. I'm going to drive my car, which will easily hold most of my personal belongings. However there are a few things that wont fit, like my winter tires, bike, & skis that i don't want to sell or leave behind. Whats the best way to ship this kind of crap? I feel like using a postal service would savage me on these, any suggestions?

What kind of car are you driving? U-Haul has trailers starting at about $400 for that distance.

Alkuan
Sep 8, 2006

Please hide me from those Berzerker's, they wont stop staring.
Thanks for the response guys.

Selling and rebuying isn't really an option, as they are all relatively new and expensive items.

My car is quite small, 4 door Volkswagen GTI, i'm not sure how uhaul trailers work, but i don't think i would be able to attach one. At least i've never noticed anything like a trailer attachment.

U-ship looks promising, especially for the tires. I might be able to get the bike/skis to fit inside/outside my car with some creative disassembly and packing. I guess that depends on what kind of price point i get for the shipping...

Alkuan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 23, 2011

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
What happens if a guy refuses to take a paternity test?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

PlasticPaddy posted:

What happens if a guy refuses to take a paternity test?

The court can compel him to do so. If he refuses, he can be held in contempt, which can carry a fine or what is effectively an unending jail sentence (he won't be released until he agrees to submit to the test).

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Man,that seems unduly harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PlasticPaddy posted:

Man,that seems unduly harsh

Obeying the directives of the justice system is one of the fundamental pillars of our society. You can't just say "no" to a court order, the check on this power is that a lawyer has to convince a judge to grant one.

If you mean it's unduly harsh for trying to welsh on child support, keep it in your pants.