Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DogDodger posted:

While we're at it, the alternator on my TT failed coincidentally with an autocross weekend. My plans weren't spoiled.

Dude's Porsche 944 Turbo's engine goes splodey.

What does he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Haha, look at the rear tire.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

si posted:

Wow, was this an SCCA event? I've always known them to be pretty strict on following the distance rules of obstacles/barriers/etc to the course. I don't think the course designers or safety stewards at any of the events I've run (St. Louis & Chicago regions) would ever let something like that go.

Anyone get pictures or video of it? Would love to see how (s)he pulled that off.

It was an SCCA event, and he had to do some really stupid driving to hit it. Somehow he lost the rear a bit making the last turn into the finish which was designed to make you bleed off speed, over corrected so he was facing perpendicular to the course toward the curb, then finally found traction and just floored it until he hit the curb. He might have applied brakes the second he hit it, but it didn't look like he did despite it being an obvious curb, given the shrubs and poo poo growing on the dirt beyond it.

I don't yet know if anyone got video or pictures of it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I got 4th in ST1 with my Impreza yesterday, missed 3rd by a couple tenths on my index time. I was surprised on how I did considering how worn out everything (200k miles) is and how crappy my tires are.

My friend got video of my last and fastest run. The exhaust whistles which is pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-NMPre374

My friend John got 2nd in SS with his Elise running slicks. My friend Dan is dual driving with him this season and didn't do that well in the AM session. During the PM session however he would have gotten the fastest time of the day if he hadn't hit a cone.

Also speaking of weird cars that autocross, there was a Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442. That thing had a lot of work into it. It won ST2 with a DSP index.

There was also a CRZ that was pretty drat quick. He was 4 seconds behind the fastest time and 4 seconds ahead of me. He said the biggest problem is the battery for the electric motor. If he had a passenger it would cut out at the half way point but if he didn't he could get 3/4 of the way through with out it dying. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. They also look much better in person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NinjaTech posted:

There was also a CRZ that was pretty drat quick. He was 4 seconds behind the fastest time and 4 seconds ahead of me. He said the biggest problem is the battery for the electric motor. If he had a passenger it would cut out at the half way point but if he didn't he could get 3/4 of the way through with out it dying. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. They also look much better in person.
Is that the adjusted time or raw?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

NinjaTech posted:

You can nuke a CRZ battery in 50 seconds?? I guess it really doesn't get to much time to recharge.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
It was raw time. The fastest of the day was a 44.8xx with a Cayman S. The CRZ got 48.8xx. I got a 53.6xx.

I don't think the battery for the CRZ is that big since it seemed to charge pretty fast between runs. I know the battery in the old Insight is pretty small.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

It was raw time. The fastest of the day was a 44.8xx with a Cayman S. The CRZ got 48.8xx. I got a 53.6xx.

drat, must be a tricky course. Every autocross I've been to, the course is straight enough that power is the biggest factor.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

kimbo305 posted:

drat, must be a tricky course. Every autocross I've been to, the course is straight enough that power is the biggest factor.

Yeah it was fairly tricky. There are always the two turn arounds since we run on an old runway. There was a slalom with an offset cone, a C box, then a long optional slalom. There were a couple "fast" sections thrown in there too. It was a really good course to prepare for the new season, since the slush runs are basically a couple practice events with scoring..

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The fast track Solo II notes are hilariously bad. They're going to evacuate the current CSP class and move it to DSP so that CSP can become a class where "popular 2 and 4 seat sports cars" reside.

They should have just renamed CSP the MX5 class instead for gently caress's sake.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Dude's Porsche 944 Turbo's engine goes splodey.

What does he do?

Granted, my Ranger probably has double the miles that one has, but oh god the body roll I'm imagining (plus the habit of the rear jumping any time it hits any bump) makes me want to vomit.

Back when my dad was into autocross in a big way, there was a guy who kept coming out running a GMC Caballero. Apparently it was fast as hell, too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

Four seconds on a small track is huge gap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Four seconds on a small track is huge gap.

It is huge, but I would imagine a Cayman S would have the power (not to mention handling) to brutalize a CRZ.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

It is huge, but I would imagine a Cayman S would have the power (not to mention handling) to brutalize a CRZ.

Well I consider four seconds brutalized so there you go :v:

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
What do ya'll think would be better? Smaller, lightweight wheels with a higher sidewall, or larger wheels with a small sidewall? I'd really like to get some dedicated wheels/tires as my next upgrade.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

deratomicdog posted:

What do ya'll think would be better? Smaller, lightweight wheels with a higher sidewall, or larger wheels with a small sidewall? I'd really like to get some dedicated wheels/tires as my next upgrade.

It depends if you're going to be running in stock or not. Stock forces you to keep the same wheel dimensions your car came with. Unfortunately my car only came with 15's and a somewhat odd tire size so every tire that doesn't suck is too short.

I think I'm going to get a set of these in the 225/50r15 size and squeeze them onto my wheels. They'll be .3" shorter than stock, better than over an inch shorter.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport

soup_ignorant
Jul 9, 2008
I'm looking to get started in various motorsports and I want to get a camera system in place. What kind of cameras would be ideal for running permanently on the exterior concealed in the front and rear bumpers? 720p max, fairly rugged, $100-$250 range and smaller the better.

Also, any ideas on a small 4 channel DVR system and power source I can trigger on remotely from the cabin?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It isn't permanent, but the GoPro HD is a phenomenal deal for what you get.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

soup_ignorant posted:

I'm looking to get started in various motorsports and I want to get a camera system in place. What kind of cameras would be ideal for running permanently on the exterior concealed in the front and rear bumpers? 720p max, fairly rugged, $100-$250 range and smaller the better.

Also, any ideas on a small 4 channel DVR system and power source I can trigger on remotely from the cabin?

Get a Go Pro and get creative. Bumper cameras are kinda boring.

Go crazy with angles man!

If you want a camera for accident insurance this is probably a good start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icWJiIuLXw

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If you're just getting started you are going to want a camera that watches what your hands are doing. Knowing what you did to cause something that happened is more valuable than just seeing the road in front of you.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

FatCow posted:

If you're just getting started you are going to want a camera that watches what your hands are doing. Knowing what you did to cause something that happened is more valuable than just seeing the road in front of you.

This.

Interior cam shots are the most interesting. Second only to close up wheel shots.

BAD HANDS EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sra1aheo774

If you have a FWD and can lift the rear wheel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9st8-Z3jQ8

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

deratomicdog posted:

You need to look more at what tires are available for the car.
Trying to run a 245 on my WRX, i'd love to get some superlight 16"s or even 15"s, but no one makes a 245 for a 15" wheel.. at least nothing decent.

Unless the car came with something big in the first place (17"+), i generally say go with 1" bigger wheel to take some sidewall out of it as long as the tires are there.

Sidewall isn't exactly a bad thing... i've seen 18"s with a 35 profile tire practically peeling off the rim under heavy load. more sidewall will let you play with pressures more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7N7_YJtYiw

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

kimbo305 posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:

This is painful to watch.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:

Loud tire noises means i'm doing it right, right?
Clearly that V6 accord is a canyon carver compared to my STI...

soup_ignorant
Jul 9, 2008

Ziploc posted:

Get a Go Pro and get creative. Bumper cameras are kinda boring.

Go crazy with angles man!

Those arnt the only cameras i want, just the ones I dont know to go with since they will be subjected to lots of exposure. Id like those two along with one or two in cabin on me.

kimbo305 posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:

Looks like Sand Canyon, north of Willow Springs. I cant believe that guy continues to try to keep up despite his obvious lack of skill.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
What other seattle area goons autocross here? What clubs are you with? I used to run with BSCC a lot but now I've been running with WWSCC mostly because they run in shelton which is closer than bremerton.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Eeesh, reminds me of:

The mis-shift at 4:10 is what really rounds the whole thing out for me. Apparently the Subaru WRX has an accelerator On/Off switch.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The yanking of the steering wheel is what clinches it for me, i can see the speed draining away with every sideways shudder the car makes...

I just feel like screaming "You're supposed to work WITH that force, not against it".

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Ziploc posted:

No surprise it's a RHD car. My club has banned countless numbers of those retards trying to recreate tokyo doriftu on our autocross courses.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I took 3rd in ST1 today after the girl that was in 2nd got DSQed for spinning out after the timing lights and getting fairly close to the timing van. No idea how she did that. It moved my up from 4th though so that was pretty nice.

It was pouring rain and there was a ton of standing water so it was tough going. I was just understeering everywhere but I was getting the hang of it. This was the first really wet autocross I've done in the Impreza and I only spun out once.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Anyone know if stainless braided brake lines are legal in stock? I couldn't find anything online or anything clear in the rulebook.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

NinjaTech posted:

Anyone know if stainless braided brake lines are legal in stock? I couldn't find anything online or anything clear in the rulebook.

Page 77 of the rule book, under stock, under brakes:

"Substitution of clutch and brake hydraulic lines with solid metal or
braided metal is allowed on all cars manufactured before model year
1992."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Oh look, an autocross thread!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem is that as far as I know, the course was set up such that people were able to stand on the track-side of the timing booth with no concern (ie they didn't cone it off or anything).

The incident, like most, happened due to a number of factors that came together. Partially course design, partially driver, partially conditions (downhill slope), etc.

The finish had plenty of run-off, well over 200', but a driver came through it sideways doing tank-slappers, and instead of just going both-feet-in and stopping, he continued on the gas trying to save it, even well after the timing lights. Eventually he ran out of room.

This was the first serious incident in over 30 years of autocrossing in the AZ region, and we spend a lot of time and effort on safety now, as we never want to see something like that again in the next 30 years.

quote:

Also, I'm not a huge fan of AZ SCCA anyway. The course layouts I've run the few times I've been have been absurdly short, like even the slowest of the slow drivers and cars were putting up 50 second times. The really fast guys were doing low, low 30s. It feels like almost as much as a ripoff as Friday night drags for $ to track time.

We do the best we can with the lot we have to use. If you know of a better venue in the area that will rent to us, we'd love to hear about it, as we are constantly in the search for a better site. The Bondurant pad is not an option, except for maybe 1 time a year at best, and even then they've decided occasionally to boot us at the last minute, when we had the lot rented for a year in advance.

Our current crew of course designers has been doing an amazing job of giving us fun and challenging courses on the Firebird lot, and we have been normally getting more runs as well - we try to give everyone the best time possible for the buck, but we have to be able to pay the continually rising bills (lot rental, sanction fees, insurance, etc., they all keep going up) or we won't be able to play at all.

The next event is actually on the west road course at Firebird, I'm looking forward to it, as those courses are always a good time.

Obligatory in-car view of a typical Firebird course: http://www.vimeo.com/10167272

Obligatory autocross picture:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

We do the best we can with the lot we have to use. If you know of a better venue in the area that will rent to us, we'd love to hear about it, as we are constantly in the search for a better site. The Bondurant pad is not an option, except for maybe 1 time a year at best, and even then they've decided occasionally to boot us at the last minute, when we had the lot rented for a year in advance.

The next event is actually on the west road course at Firebird, I'm looking forward to it, as those courses are always a good time.

Sorry, I realize I worded that poorly - I wasn't necessarily trying to rip on the guys running the events here :) If you're going back 30 years, I would wager my dad's flaming 911 sometime around '86 might rank up there for on-track incidents.

That sucks about the Bondurant pad, I think the first few events I ever ran years ago (in my dad's old Z28) were all at that location.

I admit, I'm thoroughly intrigued at the idea of running the West course. Are you guys just running around the track or are you adding some chicanes / slaloms to it here and there? Trying to figure out if it's enough time to get my dad to come out in his Corvette, and whether I want to bring my MS3 or my old Miata.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Sunday was the day for an autocross school for the local PCA chapter. Had a great time and will definitely be doing some more events this year. I got a 62.7 on all-season tires on a course where the best instructor time was a 59.x so I was pretty stoked. Most students were in the 67-69 range.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I admit, I'm thoroughly intrigued at the idea of running the West course. Are you guys just running around the track or are you adding some chicanes / slaloms to it here and there? Trying to figure out if it's enough time to get my dad to come out in his Corvette, and whether I want to bring my MS3 or my old Miata.

We have to turn the track into an 'autocross', because it has to pass safety and be approved by the divisional solo safety steward. All SCCA autocrosses run on a road course have to be approved at the divisional level, rather than just by the local safety stewards, in order to keep the event within the solo rules. So there will be chicanes, slaloms, offsets, etc.

Having said that, the courses we've had on the west track in the past have been an absolute blast, with much higher speeds than we can get on the little skid pad, and much more of a 'national' level feel to them. Fairly sure that the last course on the west track was 60-80 seconds depending on the driver/car.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at the times for Phoenix events is that the talent pool here is pretty deep. We have multiple national champions running in numerous classes, so the 'fast' times that you see are typically set by guys who own one or more spiffy red jackets. Some of those folks are also in very fast classes to start with (DM, XP, ASP, DSP), so our 'fast times' tend to be pretty hard to touch for your average Joe autocrosser in the family car.

On the other hand, that sort of competition and knowledge is great for learning how to go faster!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I went autocrossing this weekend. Here are all of my 6 runs from different angles. The lot was super small, and we had to move lots across town in the morning, but overall it went rather smoothly. 1st place in ST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJ2xJD49Jc

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dixie Region SCCA member checking in. If you were at the National Tour in March and you tech'd on Friday, I'll bet :20bux: that I put the SCCA 2011 sticker on your helmet or poked your battery or something.

I started AutoX'ing back in August of '09 and somehow got led into being a board member for 2011. I love AutoX, but I have to say that the biggest thing for me is the social aspect and the friendly yet cutthroat competition. AutoX is the only kind of performance driving event that fits in my schedule, what with class/work/other life getting in the way. It's perfect for me, but it's not for everyone. Some people see it as a gateway to higher level performance driving.

Unfortunately I can't seem to keep a car in one piece, and I'm currently on my third car, whose first event (with me driving) will be this weekend. Hopefully I can keep this one for more than a year.

Obligatory AutoX videos featuring my first car in both of them. It got named "The Lean Machine", picking it out should be easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCbF15FI4 WALB came out and did a short segment on us at our site in Moultrie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZi6ukjOMU8 This is at the same site in Moultrie, but was a spectator-filmed video.

That car was so goddamn fun to drive at AutoX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YCbF15FI4 WALB came out and did a short segment on us at our site in Moultrie
Man, that BMW around the 40 second mark is one hell of a hero. I'd have been two feet in way earlier into that slide.

The local Cantonese news did some coverage of a rallycross event I went to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFRJMuHzL1g

• Locked thread