Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

radintorov posted:

I'm torn between the "Howling Dogs", because those 'mechs are pretty great, and the "Knight Lights", because it would be just hilarious.
I'll have to think about it. :shobon:

Not so fake edit: one thing I can say about the Genesis Mechwarrior is that, once you get used to the controls, it's at least enjoyable, and it's not the SNES version. :rolleyes:
They later released that one for the SNES too. It was still dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

This looks identical to the SNES Mechwarrior game! I don't see any differences, though. Think you'd let me make a video of me completing the first stage on that and submit it for the contest? (And see if I could beat you in a 5v5 trial if I actually followed Clan RoE :p)

Yeah, Mechwarrior 3050 for the SNES is nearly identical; but I'd have to see it in action to judge. The controls on the Sega version are atrocious (if you start shooting while moving, you'll continue moving in that direction PERIOD).

You do get bonus points if you use the SNES version's expanded cheat library to run the first mission in a WASP.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

That video has completely destroyed my faith in humanity. As for the newest new vote. SA The Jagermech is so iconic.

It HAS been in more "massive failures of BattleMech engineering" documentaries than any other machine, so I guess that's true.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

SA) Power Rangers
STK-3F Stalker
JM6-S Jagermech

:black101::respek::madmax:

Oh hell yeah.

Sair
May 11, 2007

radintorov posted:

I'm torn between the "Howling Dogs", because those 'mechs are pretty great, and the "Knight Lights", because it would be just hilarious.

Those are both some of my favorite mechs, I can't choose! :ohdear:

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
A and the Knight Lights option, suddenly it's like there's content every 50 posts, this is all very exciting.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Contest!
I'd be tempted to participate, since that loadout isn't particularly bad, but my total lack of recording knowledge means that by the time I'll make it at least five other goons will be halfway through a Mechwarrior 3050 LP. :mmmhmm:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Could someone explain why the Jagermech is awesome for those whose eyes glaze over reading the wiki?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

whowhatwhere posted:

Could someone explain why the Jagermech is awesome for those whose eyes glaze over reading the wiki?

Laughably thin armor and a mostly terrible weapons loadout. It's a pretty bad heavy, and they want to make me drive one against goddamned frontline clan omnimechs. :shepicide:

edit: Come on then, make it even harder! Pile on more, more, more! Send us against a full cluster, you sadistic bastards! I'll show you- I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 23, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Second.

Donegal.

Guards.
. :black101:

Also, I loved that Battletech game for the Genesis. Even if I could never get past the second level.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

whowhatwhere posted:

Fielding a JagerMech is like picking Dan.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

whowhatwhere posted:

The Jagermech (65 tons) has less armor than the Wolfhound (35 tons).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

It weighs 65 tons.

Of those, 33 tons are devoted to weapons and ammo.

Of those, 31 tons are devoted to weapons and ammo that are terrible.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

Laughably thin armor and a mostly terrible weapons loadout. It's a pretty bad heavy, and they want to make me drive one against goddamned frontline clan omnimechs. :shepicide:

Die with honor and be remembered forever until the next mission.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

edit: Come on then, make it even harder! Pile on more, more, more! Send us against a full cluster, you sadistic bastards! I'll show you- I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!

Even better is its main weapons have minimum ranges so if you ever need to fight, say, jump infantry you're pretty screwed. All things considered it's the perfect mech choice for the coming mission.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Longinus00 posted:

Even better is its main weapons have minimum ranges so if you ever need to fight, say, jump infantry you're pretty screwed. All things considered it's the perfect mech choice for the coming mission.

pre:
This Commonwealth never did, nor never shall,
Lie at the proud foot of a conqueror,
But when it first did help to wound itself.
Now these her princes are come home again,
Come the three corners of the galaxy in arms,
And we shall shock them. Nought shall make us rue,
If Lyra to itself do rest but true.
:black101: BRING IT.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Voting SB: Howling Dogs because I'm only a sadist when it involves high-level actors.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
First: gently caress you guys! I loved the Battletech cartoon as a kid. :colbert:

Second: Voting 1st Lyran Guard Show those AT&T bastards that there's no problem you can't solve by dropping 50 Atlases on top of it.

Third: Voting Knight Lights because the Black Knight is actually pretty sweet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looks like B is going to safely win, so I feel comfortable voting for mech with the best name.
SC) Knight Lights and the Black Knight

Also voting B - 1st Lyran Because nobody kicks rear end like Natasha :black101:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
So I did the entire mission only to find out that fraps cut off after 30 seconds.

I did so well, too :smith:

Anyone have a good alternative? I so badly want to pilot that Rommel.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 23, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
SB) Howling Dogs

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Defiance Industries posted:

The 6th Lyran are a lot like the 1st Davion Guard or the Falcon Guard: they are their faction's Worf. They spend a lot of time talking about how proficient they are but they get run in to the ground again and again to show the seriousness of a war.

I thought that was the 10th?

Where other than their brief stint inside Victor's plot armor they're basically known for being wiped out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, the 10th is Junior Archon Playground. Like a Royal Guards lite. That and when they do get an rear end-kicking it's at the end of a conflict, like in the FCCW. The 1st Davion, 6th Lyran and Falcon Guard tend to get wiped out at "go."

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
SB - Howling Dogs

That Black Knight looked pretty spiffy, but a Banshee is a Banshee.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Voting A and SA

gently caress yeah, Jagermech.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Ok finally completed the mission with a video that actually works. It was my worst effort yet, but I will take it once it finally uploads.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Donegaaaaaaaaal.

Let's go with Power Rangers. Oh god the sarna page references "penetration" like 3 times.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Skinwalker and the Zhukov win MVP. Congrats, Bobbin!

Hurrah! I'd say it came down to me being a lucky SOB who took damage in all the right places, but then being a lucky SOB tends to be a running theme for me.

Also, since I come into this game with no preconceived notions on how anyone should be acting, I think I'd rather go with the Com Guard.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Here's a link to the raw B-tech video I just made. Wasn't too hard, Compression and youtube coming soon.

Link.

Edit: Youtube link here.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Also, that game was much, much more fun when I was eight.

And we were playing two-player.

In that mode one player controls the legs and one controls the torso, quickly leading to fights about dodging and shooting. Aiming went out the windows as that bastard couldn't stand still for three seconds for you to lob a gauss rifle and he missed every single ammo puickup god damnit stop it's my game I decide what we do!

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Voting A

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clanners take their fursuits very seriously.

Although, to be fair, I'd totally wear a hat like this.

I, uh... why does he have a skateboard?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Notgothic posted:

Voting A

I, uh... why does he have a skateboard?

Jumpships are big! Gotta get around somehow :v:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
surely we should save the Comguard for when they decide "gently caress ruling the inner sphere, we're throwing it all away in a blaze of :black101: ", break out all the tech they'd hidden away, and throw EVERYONE at the clans (like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkrPWQCmIU&feature=player_detailpage#t=144s )?

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 23, 2011

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Also, that game was much, much more fun when I was eight.

And we were playing two-player.

In that mode one player controls the legs and one controls the torso, quickly leading to fights about dodging and shooting. Aiming went out the windows as that bastard couldn't stand still for three seconds for you to lob a gauss rifle and he missed every single ammo puickup god damnit stop it's my game I decide what we do!

Yeah I remember that (I think I still have the cartridge lying around in fact), basically it turned the game into the last part of Twilight of the Clans IV only you're not piloting a LAM. Also I disagree with your video's assessment that we're not missing much from the audio. Now we won't get to hear "Gauze Rifle" :v:

Anyway voting Howling Dogs because gently caress yeah Wolfhound

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

This was awful

I know someone linked a raw already, but I am still posting this, cause it took forever for youtube to upload. My first run went a lot better, but that video didn't take.

edit:

As an extra, I got bored while waiting for it to upload, so I made the mek in MegaMek. Needless to say, it performed terribly.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 23, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You sadistic bastards. Let's at least see a decent fight between the goons and the clan. Voting SC, since it seems like SB isn't going to win.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bonus Update: Let's Play Battletech!

Hey, remember when I mentioned bonus content?

Let's Play Battletech for the Sega Genesis!

While I have no clue about the Battletech milieu, I always appreciate some vintage 16-bit terrible.

Was this one of the first console games made for the franchise, or do they go back further?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

Here's a link to the raw B-tech video I just made. Wasn't too hard, Compression and youtube coming soon.

Link.

Edit: Youtube link here.

Nicely done. Just wait until we get to the Mission 5 video and I ask you to take the PPC and immediately blow your own arm off.

Which reward did you want: votes, a game, or the brand new tank?

KnoxZone posted:

This was awful

Nicely done. I know I didn't mention a second place, but this was close. The next time you vote for something, it counts triple. Alternatively, I could triple your vote for Power Rangers since that's a vote that's close enough that the extra votes will actually matter.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 23, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Glazius posted:

While I have no clue about the Battletech milieu, I always appreciate some vintage 16-bit terrible.

Was this one of the first console games made for the franchise, or do they go back further?

Battletech for the Genesis was released in 1994.

Mechwarrior 1 was released in 1989. Crescent Hawk's Inception was 1988.

So sadly, no. And the other two were much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

KnoxZone posted:

This was awful

I know someone linked a raw already, but I am still posting this, cause it took forever for youtube to upload. My first run went a lot better, but that video didn't take.

drat. So how do you even know your health level before your 'mech torso pops off?

• Locked thread