Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Glazius posted:

While I have no clue about the Battletech milieu, I always appreciate some vintage 16-bit terrible.

Was this one of the first console games made for the franchise, or do they go back further?

The original Mechwarrior on the SNES probably predated it. It was pretty poo poo too. :( But that was mostly to the controls being terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Voting 2nd Donegal and Knight Lights. I love the thunderbolt.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nicely done. I know I didn't mention a second place, but this was close. The next time you vote for something, it counts triple. Alternatively, I could triple your vote for Power Rangers since that's a vote that's close enough that the extra votes will actually matter.

Tripling the Power Rangers vote is fine. Some poor sod Mukaikubo! will end up with a Jagermech and will hate me for it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I had not, until now, fathomed that Fred Steiner was enough of a dickbag to sent Caesar's Legion a shitbox JagerMech instead of a murder machine Banshee. He's gonna find out all his liquor is gone and his daughters have all been knocked up.

That's how we get revenge in the Unwearied Second.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

KnoxZone posted:

Tripling the Power Rangers vote is fine. Some poor sod Mukaikubo! will end up with a Jagermech and will hate me for it.

Whhhhyyyyyyyyy?! I wanted a good fiiiigggght. :(

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nicely done. Just wait until we get to the Mission 5 video and I ask you to take the PPC and immediately blow your own arm off.

Which reward did you want: votes, a game, or the brand new tank?

Nicely done. I know I didn't mention a second place, but this was close. The next time you vote for something, it counts triple. Alternatively, I could triple your vote for Power Rangers since that's a vote that's close enough that the extra votes will actually matter.

I think I'll take the sweet set of wheels. And pray I'm up against the Jagermech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ And adding a Rommel to the player side will actually be a big help. It's not a little tank.

Artificer posted:

Whhhhyyyyyyyyy?! I wanted a good fiiiigggght. :(

It was tied with another choice, even with a few extra votes it could still go either way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rommels kick rear end. Awesome tank that has bite even in L2 play.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Voting:

Lyrian Guards and

SB - better mechs lets PT use better mechs, making it more hilarious!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Voting SC and 2nd Donegal because if any Clan besides Widowmaker is going to troll the other clans with a Inner Sphere bondsmen rising through their ranks, it will be the Steel Vipers.

Or whichever option gets us closer to more Ghost Bears!

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

SB - better mechs lets PT use better mechs, making it more hilarious!

Actually, my Clan forces are already set up and will remain unchanged no matter what gets picked.

Also, for reference, this is a
Rommel Tank:
Weight: 65 tons (Heavy)
Front A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Left A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Right A(S): 39/39 (7/7)
Turret A(S): 40/40 (7/7)
Rear A(S): 26/26 (7/7)
Movement: 4/6 Tracked
Crew: Driving 5, Gunnery 4
Player: Raverrn
Motive System Damage: None!
Critical Damage: None!
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
Notes:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Voting B - Second Donegal and SB, if only to see the goons despair further as their improved fighting force is still assreamed by the Clans.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

SB because I love them both and they have fun weapon loads that will mean nothing to the Clans.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

drat. So how do you even know your health level before your 'mech torso pops off?

There's a 'health' meter at the upper-left corner. The game measures health by heat. Hence coolant is your healing item. The red part is permanent damage that you need coolant to reduce. The yellow will go down on its own over time.

Also, the game isn't too bad. It's sort of a standard arcade shooter for the game, hampered by the fact that you move more slowly than you want to. And later levels you get loving pounded by enemy mechs. Although this didn't do a great job of showing it off because PTN picked a...sub-optimal weapon loadout. Inferno is good for killing buildings and enemy mechs, but doing the mission without LRMs or Arrow VI (Yeah, I know in Battletech they're Arrow IVs, but the game calls them 'Arrow six') Gauss Rifle suuuuuuuucks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's got an AC/20? And armor? Are you suggesting the Battletech opening cutscene lied to me?

Come to think of it, they were in Mechcommander, too, with nowhere near that loadout.

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Phew, been busy the last couple days, missed quite a few votes but good to see that voting is still open for our next assignment. Depending on the mission size I may be piloting so I've gotta vote conservatively A and SB.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

edit:

As an extra, I got bored while waiting for it to upload, so I made the mek in MegaMek. Needless to say, it performed terribly.

It's actually not that bad, although to be optimal it should trade out a ton of SRM-6 ammo for an extra ton of gauss ammo.

The UAC-5 isn't a great weapon but it has long range and a reasonable supply of ammunition and no heat so you can throw out bursts at max cyclic without a care. A Gauss Rifle is a solid long-range backup, and 2 SRM-6s can deal amazing damage in close to a mech which is already looking tatty.

Not a great mech, but not terrible. The terrible Clan designs tend more towards the Hellbringer or the other 3050 speed + guns + paper-thin armor designs.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Took me ages to find the thread because I was looking for number of updates rather than thread title and it turns out y'all have been busy. :doh:

Voting for A: 2nd Donegal Guard and SB: Howling Dogs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tempest_56 posted:

Battletech for the Genesis was released in 1994.

Mechwarrior 1 was released in 1989. Crescent Hawk's Inception was 1988.

So sadly, no. And the other two were much better.

Apropos of very little, Crescent Hawk's Inception was in many ways a lousy game, but dammit I had fun with it.

Crescent Hawk's Revenge, on the other hand, I never got more than a few missions in on, on account of being a novice to Battletech and butting my head up against the more-faithful-to-tabletop rules. Plus, they put my dudes in Urbanmechs. That's just mean.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Just what I wanted to write, spares me the effort. :D

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pinguliten posted:

Just what I wanted to write, spares me the effort. :D

I copy pasted from thatbastardken :smug:

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

Voting 2nd Donegal and Knight Lights. I love the thunderbolt.

The what now?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Affi posted:

I copy pasted from thatbastardken :smug:

Look mama, I'm helping! :downs:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Voting for C, the Com Guard, because they get no love otherwise. :smith:

And also SC) Knight Lights.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 23, 2011

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Not changing my vote for 2nd Donegal, but I don't hate Mukaikubo enough to vote for a Jagermech, so SB it is!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I was torn between SB and SC, but given that I'm not that mean spirited and there are a lot of votes for SA, I've decided to vote SB.
Given that PTN already chose his forces, we might as well try to give our poor mechwarriors all the help they can get. They'll need it. Badly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So i've got another Clan question, so in this alternate universe there are only two warder clans right? Blood Spirits and Goliath Scorpion. And the only dead clans are Wolf and Wolverine right? So what happens when the Inner Sphere stops these four clans? Will the remaining 13 invade? That'd be hilariously bad at a 2025 techlevel.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Not to nitpick, PTN, but in your Clan council update you spelled "Djerassi" wrong about 75% of the time and called the Dire Wolf a JumpShip instead of a WarShip, unless that's somehow intentional and they're all sitting on the command deck of a Star Lord.

Serril
Dec 31, 2007

Mort Fun Time
Voting A and SB

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl
What's the deal with half of the batttletech mechs looking like legitimate weapons platforms and half looking like animu bullshit with noses?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So basically this battle will be considered a moral victory if the IS guys manage to destroy one clan mech?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lilac posted:

What's the deal with half of the batttletech mechs looking like legitimate weapons platforms and half looking like animu bullshit with noses?

Half the mechs are taken from anime and manga mech designs. Really.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

SynthOrange posted:

Half the mechs are taken from anime and manga mech designs. Really.

Oh. Is there a huge divide in the fanbase between people who want to ignore the dumber designs and people who like all of it?

That black knight thing just pisses me off every time i look at it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
COM GUAR- ah gently caress no one is going to pick com guards :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Volmarias posted:

COM GUAR- ah gently caress no one is going to pick com guards :(

At least two of us have already voted for the ComGuard. :colbert:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Everybody posted:

Caesar Steiner rules all the schools, he is a true bro.

I don't know much about fluff, but I just had to see what the fuss about this Caesar guy was all about. I poke around sarna.net and what do I see at the top of his wiki article?

I see this:

What's going on here? Is he hiding behind that slack-jawed chubby dude with the perm?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mary Annette posted:

What's going on here? Is he hiding behind that slack-jawed chubby dude with the perm?

Goiters are a sign of virility and wealth in 3025

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Mary Annette posted:

I don't know much about fluff, but I just had to see what the fuss about this Caesar guy was all about. I poke around sarna.net and what do I see at the top of his wiki article?

I see this:

70_year_old_Natasha_Kerensky_dressed_like_hooker.jpg

Battletech art is trash, most of the time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zaodai posted:

At least two of us have already voted for the ComGuard. :colbert:

Hey, fellow Com Guard buddies! :hfive:

• Locked thread