Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

A book purchased from Amazon will work on any device that has a Kindle store/app. For example, I routinely read the same book on my phone, Kindle, and laptop and the progress is synced automatically to all the devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

obi_ant posted:

If I buy a digital book on Amazon, lets say a comic book or something that has color. Can a rooted Nook read it?

Maybe? The kindle uses .mobi formatted files, and there's plenty of converters around. Whether or not they deal correctly with the formatting and images is a bit of a gamble, though.

VVV that's a good point! I don't use the android kindle client and sort of forgot about it.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 22, 2011

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

boo_radley posted:

Maybe? The kindle uses .mobi formatted files, and there's plenty of converters around. Whether or not they deal correctly with the formatting and images is a bit of a gamble, though.

Couldn't he use the Android Kindle app to read it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GigaPeon posted:

Couldn't he use the Android Kindle app to read it?

Not on a regular Nook.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Devi posted:

I just sent a sample of 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth to my NC and it looks good.

Hey, so that does exist for Kindle now. A few months back I clicked that "Tell the publisher I'd like to read this on Kindle" link, you'd think they'd then let you know if it did become available..

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
If anybody is interested in picking up a Nook, 1saleaday.com has 3G+wifi refurbs for $100 + $5 shipping. Might be worth it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Buy.com Wifi classic Nook for $90.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

On the B&N store (and also in retail stores), those ridiculously overpriced Kate Spade/Jack Spade leather Nook (e-ink) covers are on sale right now for around 75% off. This puts them down into a much more reasonable $20-30 range. I've looked at a few of them in store, and they are nicely made, I personally don't like most of the color schemes and designs though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It's funny cause I'm planning to use the Nook to buy Amazon books. I wonder how many people are doing this very thing.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

obi_ant posted:

It's funny cause I'm planning to use the Nook to buy Amazon books. I wonder how many people are doing this very thing.

If this is your plan is there any reason to buy a Nook rather than a Kindle?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Centipeed posted:

If this is your plan is there any reason to buy a Nook rather than a Kindle?
I think he means the Nook Color, and the reason would be that Amazon's own Kindle Android Tablet isn't out yet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cardboard Box A posted:

I think he means the Nook Color, and the reason would be that Amazon's own Kindle Android Tablet isn't out yet.

Amazon's Kindle Tablet is any tablet that runs the Kindle app, just like the Kindle Phone is any phone that runs the Kindle app.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
is it possible to root the original e-ink nook to install a better pdf reader?

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

SFrost007 posted:

Hey, so that does exist for Kindle now. A few months back I clicked that "Tell the publisher I'd like to read this on Kindle" link, you'd think they'd then let you know if it did become available..

That is dumb. I assumed you'd be alerted. Great. Guess I need to be adding those things to my wishlist, too, so I can check up on them.

Why get a Nook to read Amazon books? Because you can root the NookColor and have a nice little tablet for a great price.

I'm afraid to buy too many things as Kindle books just yet. I rooted my NC because there's no launch date for the Nook market and there are things I want to be able to do with my NC that I couldn't. But when the market comes out and Flash is added and all that, I may want to go back to the defaults. Or I may be forced to for a time. If B&N makes enough changes that the things I wanted to root for are part of the default OS, a Kindle app will still most likely not be there. I'd like the option of not needing to root the NC again. Right now it's a pain in the rear end to find new books on Amazon because that's what everyone links to and then looking them up on B&N to buy or for a sample. But I know I'll have access to the Nook reader no matter what.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zoracle Zed posted:

is it possible to root the original e-ink nook to install a better pdf reader?

Yes, although when I did it the process of installing the pdf reader was manual: connecting to a PC and installing the .apk via adb.

npd2004
Sep 12, 2007
And on that day, we fought for Rome.
Hey folks I just wanted to recommend this kindle cover I picked up.

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Classic-Generation-Protector-Invisible/dp/B004EHJQBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300919823&sr=8-1

I bought this for 18 dollars, and it works very well. The fake leather is holding up well, the kindle is nice and snug inside, and I can get to all the buttons easily. You can also fold the front cover back to hold it easily in one hand. It is secured shut by a little magnetic clasp. I recommend this case highly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
On the topic of cases, this one for the Nook Color is the poo poo:

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Multi-View-Leather-Adjustable-NOOKcolor/dp/B004GIKP1G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300944390&sr=8-2

Has a little mini stand built in so you can prop it up, looks snazzy, and it's pretty lightweight. Only downside is that it's a little expensive, but drat is it nice. I thought it was worth it.

Corvy Day
Jan 29, 2006
squark.

npd2004 posted:

Hey folks I just wanted to recommend this kindle cover I picked up.

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Classic-Generation-Protector-Invisible/dp/B004EHJQBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300919823&sr=8-1

I bought this for 18 dollars, and it works very well. The fake leather is holding up well, the kindle is nice and snug inside, and I can get to all the buttons easily. You can also fold the front cover back to hold it easily in one hand. It is secured shut by a little magnetic clasp. I recommend this case highly.

Seconding this. I was looking for a cheap folder-like case to hold my Kindle since the device looks too fragile to just toss straight into my bag. It's definitely worth the 18 bucks I spent.

The 'leather' has a chemical smell that goes away after week or so, and the case is generally quite handy. No major problems. A few small negatives would be the clasp. It's placed on the right side, so when the cover is open, the clasp tends to curl inwards, making it slightly distracting to read. The case also makes the Back and Shift button a little inconvenient to press, but it's not too big of a problem.

The official Amazon case is very tempting looks-wise, but I'm afraid of the weight the light will add. And the price. Oh god the price.

Edit: I didn't use the free screen protector. There were complains of glare and bubbles, and really? A screen protector on an e-ink screen? Pfft.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corvy Day posted:

The official Amazon case is very tempting looks-wise, but I'm afraid of the weight the light will add. And the price. Oh god the price.

It barely adds any weight. And it's extremely useful.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Now we're talkin.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of cases, this one for the Nook Color is the poo poo:

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Multi-View-Leather-Adjustable-NOOKcolor/dp/B004GIKP1G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300944390&sr=8-2

Has a little mini stand built in so you can prop it up, looks snazzy, and it's pretty lightweight. Only downside is that it's a little expensive, but drat is it nice. I thought it was worth it.

Do you find yourself using the stand that often? I bought one from BN, with a faux leather, with magnetic clasp. Really like it so far. I have found that having an eReader, I have done more reading than I have in the last several years. I used to burn through books but the last 2 or 3 years I really didn't read that much. Not so anymore, I love my NC.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

boo_radley posted:

Yes, although when I did it the process of installing the pdf reader was manual: connecting to a PC and installing the .apk via adb.
What reader did you install? Would you recommend it? I'm looking for something that can handle custom zoom-levels easily, as in two- or three-column PDFs.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Corvy Day posted:

I'm going to disagree with fishmech about the weight - the case effectively doubles the weight of your Kindle. (The wifi model is 8.5oz, and the lighted cover is just under 8oz I believe.)

That being said, in my mind it is absolutely worth it. Realistically, it still weighs about as much as an actual book. It looks classy, and the cover can be folded all the way around. I've been consistently surprised with how often I've used the light, which is good quality as far as book lights go. The price is huge, especially compared to how cheap the Kindle has become, but they really do go together like PB&J. At this point, I have a hard time imagining using one without the other.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

I'm going to disagree with fishmech about the weight - the case effectively doubles the weight of your Kindle. (The wifi model is 8.5oz, and the lighted cover is just under 8oz I believe.)

That being said, in my mind it is absolutely worth it. Realistically, it still weighs about as much as an actual book. It looks classy, and the cover can be folded all the way around. I've been consistently surprised with how often I've used the light, which is good quality as far as book lights go. The price is huge, especially compared to how cheap the Kindle has become, but they really do go together like PB&J. At this point, I have a hard time imagining using one without the other.

I think he was specifically replying to the concern that the LIGHT would add extra weight as opposed to a case with no light. But I agree with your sentiments about the case, the Kindle without the lighted case is half a Kindle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

calandryll posted:

Do you find yourself using the stand that often? I bought one from BN, with a faux leather, with magnetic clasp. Really like it so far. I have found that having an eReader, I have done more reading than I have in the last several years. I used to burn through books but the last 2 or 3 years I really didn't read that much. Not so anymore, I love my NC.

You know, I really only use the stand in landscape mode when I'm reading comics, honestly... I don't really watch much video on it, though I was surprised at how crisp and smooth the playback was on a regular XviD encode. I'm also a huge dork and use it to store all my RPG PDFs, so when I'm using those for reference or whatever in landscape mode, it helps to just have it on the stand next to the computer as I type out my posts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Did you guys hear that a new Nook Color is coming out with the Andriod app store in there already? Should I wait for this new mysterious Nook Color? Or should I just buy one now?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

obi_ant posted:

Did you guys hear that a new Nook Color is coming out with the Andriod app store in there already? Should I wait for this new mysterious Nook Color? Or should I just buy one now?

You could have a Nook Color that may or may not have an app store and lasts 9 hours on battery for $250 or a Wifi Kindle 3 for $140 that lasts a month.

Do you want to read or do you want a bargain bin tablet?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

You could have a Nook Color that may or may not have an app store and lasts 9 hours on battery for $250 or a Wifi Kindle 3 for $140 that lasts a month.

Do you want to read or do you want a bargain bin tablet?

Yeah I never read on my Nook Color. :rolleyes:

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Trig Discipline posted:

Surely you do more than just read considering the extra Benjamin you laid on tho, right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My Nook Color is probably the best purchase I've made in the last 2 years. And that includes all the albino hookers.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

Surely you do more than just read considering the extra Benjamin you laid on tho, right?

I do. Oddly enough, though, adding the extra functionality doesn't take away from the reading experience. The only people I have ever heard complaining about the NC's screen, battery life, etc. are people who don't actually own one. Everyone I know who owns one is crazy about it.

In fact, I bought two - one for me and one for my wife. We're both absolutely crazy about them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Trig Discipline posted:

Let's be honest, most of the people in this thread aren't talking about what an awesome ereader the Nook Color is but how they can root it and turn it into a decent/cheap tablet that they can read comic books/surf the internet/watch videos/etc.

It is a valid thing to ask yourself when you are looking at which one you want to get. Do you want a device designed solely for reading that will mimic the experience of reading on paper or do you want a jack of all trades device you can also read on?

If it is the first, go with the Kindle/Nook/Sony. If it is the second, get the Nook Color or iPad.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Trig Discipline posted:

I do. Oddly enough, though, adding the extra functionality doesn't take away from the reading experience. The only people I have ever heard complaining about the NC's screen, battery life, etc. are people who don't actually own one. Everyone I know who owns one is crazy about it.

In fact, I bought two - one for me and one for my wife. We're both absolutely crazy about them.

Would you not agree that if you're only interested in a device for reading, spending an extra $100+ would be a waste? That is my point, no sense in laying out the extra cash if you won't be using the extra features.

Plus obviously people who don't like things about it wouldn't buy it and people who do buy it are likely to like it...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What madprocess said was "Do you want to read or do you want a bargain bin tablet?"

That's a false dichotomy - it implies that you can't have both. The NC does a great job of both.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If what you meant was "do you only want to read or..." then I guess I just misunderstood you.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Trig Discipline posted:

If what you meant was "do you only want to read or..." then I guess I just misunderstood you.

Well yeah that's exactly what I meant. I mean, Nook Color is close to double the price of a Kindle 3 Wifi - if you want to just read, there's not much of a reason in getting the Nook Color instead.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right, so just a misunderstanding. Unwadding my panties now.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

obi_ant posted:

I haven't heard this. There will be an update to the NC that will include the app store. I've been told (yeah, yeah, I know) that B&N is going to update the software and keep the hardware since Android allows for so many improvements without needing to change the hardware.

As for the NC as a reader, I love it. I don't like e-ink. I love that I can control the brightness, color schemes, font, and font size. I love that it has a built in dictionary that I can jump on to Wikipedia from and it looks just like Wikipedia on my computer. I love that I can use it to go online. I love that it displays images in books so nicely. It's pretty awesome that it can also function as a tablet but for my reading preferences it was the best choice. Some people don't like reading on an LCD display. The NC isn't for them. Just like the Kindle isn't for me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Devi posted:

I don't like e-ink. I love that I can control the brightness, color schemes, font, and font size. I love that it has a built in dictionary that I can jump on to Wikipedia from and it looks just like Wikipedia on my computer.

Minus the color schemes/brightness, Kindle also has all of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Devi posted:

I haven't heard this. There will be an update to the NC that will include the app store. I've been told (yeah, yeah, I know) that B&N is going to update the software and keep the hardware since Android allows for so many improvements without needing to change the hardware.

As for the NC as a reader, I love it. I don't like e-ink. I love that I can control the brightness, color schemes, font, and font size. I love that it has a built in dictionary that I can jump on to Wikipedia from and it looks just like Wikipedia on my computer. I love that I can use it to go online. I love that it displays images in books so nicely. It's pretty awesome that it can also function as a tablet but for my reading preferences it was the best choice. Some people don't like reading on an LCD display. The NC isn't for them. Just like the Kindle isn't for me.

Same here. I'm a Pediatrics resident and I use my NC for e-copies of all my textbooks, so I don't have to lug 15 pounds of books around in a bag. I can also reference them while I'm on the floors. What it has over a Kindle, other than those texts not being really viewable on Kindle (PDFs) is that I get all my pictures and diagrams in full color, so I can see the specific anatomy of that baby's heart defect with color-coding, or see the red ring around the blisters for that other baby's neonatal herpes. Kindle can't do any of that poo poo. The fact that I can use it to get on UpToDate and also watch movies and poo poo is just bonus.