Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Criminal Minded posted:

Just got back from an AMC showing as well. It was amazing.

Did they fix the saturation of the blood at the end? I figured it wouldn't need to be muted now since R rated films get away with a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I haven't bought a Blu-Ray since Braveheart, so I felt compelled to grab a few and have a mini viewing spree the other day. Lawrence of Arabia, Chinatown, The Big Sleep, Richard III, and Jackie Brown are all still unreleased. What the gently caress.

I really thought Chinatown would be available by now :smith:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Butthole Prince posted:

Did they fix the saturation of the blood at the end? I figured it wouldn't need to be muted now since R rated films get away with a lot more.

No, and I'm glad they didn't since A) it would probably end up looking weird as hell 30+ years after the fact and B) Scorsese liked how it looked.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Butthole Prince posted:

The end sequence is as it was first shown theatrically - still muted. The Digital Bits has an interview with Grover Crisp from Sony and this issue is discussed in-depth. The reason for it still being muted is two-fold. One is that they are respecting the original theatrical exhibition - even though it was not Scorsese's original plan for the scene, it is how everyone saw it and everyone involved in this restoration agreed that that was worth respecting. Movies being a product of their time and place, etc. etc.

The second issue is that they can't just "undo" the muting - the original negative was shipped off for modifications and presumably destroyed, the studio only received the muted version back. And starting from that muted version, you can't just digitally add the red back to the scene without making everything get a red tint. It's just not possible to reverse the process and get what the original negative really looked like, any digital trickery would be a hack and would be significantly different from the original negative anyway.

Both valid reasons, though you are correct that it would no longer be an issue with regards to the MPAA rating.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The end sequence is as it was first shown theatrically - still muted. The Digital Bits has an interview with Grover Crisp from Sony and this issue is discussed in-depth. The reason for it still being muted is two-fold. One is that they are respecting the original theatrical exhibition - even though it was not Scorsese's original plan for the scene, it is how everyone saw it and everyone involved in this restoration agreed that that was worth respecting. Movies being a product of their time and place, etc. etc.

The second issue is that they can't just "undo" the muting - the original negative was shipped off for modifications and presumably destroyed, the studio only received the muted version back. And starting from that muted version, you can't just digitally add the red back to the scene without making everything get a red tint. It's just not possible to reverse the process and get what the original negative really looked like, any digital trickery would be a hack and would be significantly different from the original negative anyway.

Both valid reasons, though you are correct that it would no longer be an issue with regards to the MPAA rating.

That seems fair. Very excited for when this hits region B but it seems we might not as good a deal on the price as you Yankee Doodles.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope you guys are happy. Just put in my preorder a few minutes ago.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

John Dough posted:

I haven't actually seen Taxi Driver yet but it's not available until June 6th in region B :(

Raffles posted:

That seems fair. Very excited for when this hits region B but it seems we might not as good a deal on the price as you Yankee Doodles.

Import that poo poo. The back cover scan indicates that it will be region free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Safe Driver posted:

Nuts, they showed Taxi Driver at the AMC near me, but it was only playing once at 8:00 tonight and I was working. Pre-ordered that bluray.

I heard Taxi Driver was playing at AMC a while ago, but figured it wasn't go to be at the one near my house. I then decided to check last night at 11pm, to notice that not only was it playing near my house, but that I had missed both screenings.

:(

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
For those that saw in the theaters, how big were your audiences?

I was severely dissapointed that at my SATURDAY NIGHT showing there was a grand total of SIX people in the theater.

Part of my dissapointment is that I'd like to see more old flicks in the theater, but with that kind of turn out, there's no way it can be profitable to continue doing so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Taxi Driver isn't exactly a good date movie.

First review for King of Kings:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/King-of-Kings-Blu-ray/18904/#Screenshots

:aaa:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Patton is getting a re-release in May. Has anybody heard of any news of Fox doing a new transfer or if it will be the same disc in different packaging?

- edit And hey, looks like MPI knocked it out of the park with their Sherlock Holmes boxset.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sherlock-Holmes-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/19232/#Review

Preorder price on Amazon dropped down to $80.99 ($5.78 per movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GSVXDA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GSVXDA

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 23, 2011

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Cheesus posted:

For those that saw in the theaters, how big were your audiences?
It was packed in mine, and on a Tuesday night! Seeing it with an audience definitely made the experience, and a very respectful one as well, you could tell everyone were fans of the film. For the last 20 minutes or so there was a hushed silence over everyone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Looking to pick up a few Criterion releases just for fun.

Thinking of getting Days of Heaven and For All Mankind. Are those good choices?

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Days of Heaven will knock your socks off, it's terrific.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Tron looks like a pretty good transfer

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Absolutely. The latter isn't a film you'd think would benefit from 1080p, but the grainier 16mm sources benefit from the format. Brian Eno's score is phenominal in 5.1.

hitze posted:

Tron looks like a pretty good transfer

Wow, it's perfect. No messing with film grain and it's clearly 65mm sourced from the regular live-action caps.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Speaking of TRON, here's the blu-ray review for Legacy:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/TRON-Legacy-Blu-ray/18434/#Review

Looks pretty god drat fantastic. Glad I loved the movie, because I would hate not to have such a nice-looking transfer as part of my collection.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're all stupid dumb heads if you didn't jump on that Mel Brooks Collection sale.

This set is amazing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes, but above all else I'd recommend you buy 8 1/2 if you haven't already.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sportsgenius86 posted:

Get House/Hausu. I almost want to buy it for you because everyone should own a copy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Criterion are such cock teases for us PS3 owning Europeans :smith:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

- edit And hey, looks like MPI knocked it out of the park with their Sherlock Holmes boxset.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sherlock-Holmes-The-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/19232/#Review

Preorder price on Amazon dropped down to $80.99 ($5.78 per movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GSVXDA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004GSVXDA

I'm so tempted. I like most of the movies, but I don't like any of them. Still, less than $6 each, and a nice compact package.

Eh, gently caress it. Now that I've got car payments to worry about I need to curb my impulse Blu-Ray spending.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably grab Days of Heaven, For All Mankind, 8 1/2 and House in the next month or so.

Love getting per diem money then having work pay for everything any way.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably grab Days of Heaven, For All Mankind, 8 1/2 and House in the next month or so.

Love getting per diem money then having work pay for everything any way.

If you have a Netflix account try out Paris, Texas. I thought it was amazing but it isn't for everybody.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Scarface September 6th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6070

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ultraviolence123 posted:

Scarface September 6th

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6070

gently caress. Yes.

This, Red Dawn, True Lies, Conan, and Once Upon a Time in the West have been my most-anticipated movies.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So Firefly is only $31 on amazon right now. In case you're like me and haven't bought it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301007676&sr=8-1

Ah! I had a random $15 credit they used so I got it for $17. What a great day.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 25, 2011

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Ugh I just came out of my study-cave for the term and I'm dropping coin everywhere on all these glorious blu rays. I just picked up Nausicaa, its beautiful. I also just preordered the gently caress out of Taxi Driver.

Am I being ridiculous for thinking that this is the ugliest loving cover I have ever seen?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Imagine how long they had to dismiss earlier versions of the cover art for that to look good to them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Silber posted:

Am I being ridiculous for thinking that this is the ugliest loving cover I have ever seen?

Did you see the Great Dictator cover?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Silber posted:

Ugh I just came out of my study-cave for the term and I'm dropping coin everywhere on all these glorious blu rays. I just picked up Nausicaa, its beautiful. I also just preordered the gently caress out of Taxi Driver.

I kind of like it. :shobon: Is this any good? I've never heard of this film but reading up on it, its based on a Tanizaki novel and now I'm intrigued.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like the eyeball/mountain cover, and it'll probably make more sense in print anyways. The Dictator one is unbelievably awful, and being in print won't save it simply because it doesn't make sense. One way it's Chaplin with a goiter/kerchief, the other way it's Hitler puking into a hat.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the eyeball/mountain cover, and it'll probably make more sense in print anyways. The Dictator one is unbelievably awful, and being in print won't save it simply because it doesn't make sense. One way it's Chaplin with a goiter/kerchief, the other way it's Hitler puking into a hat.

I see it more as Hitler with a tiny body. Just picture tiny-bodied Hitler waddling around and the cover becomes much better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Like a penguin Hitler.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Did you see the Great Dictator cover?

This is in no way even close to as bad as the Makioka Sisters' cover. At least this included even the slightest amount of creativity.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wow, what a bargain! The limited to 1000, Scarface limited edition humidor is only $699.99 on Amazon, that's 40% off!!!

It really is the worst special edition release I have heard of so far. What is the appeal of, what is basically, a $675.50 Scarface themed humidor?

quote:

Additionally, for the ultimate collector and cigar enthusiast, a hand-crafted Scarface-themed humidor will be made available in an exclusive, never-before-available, limited gift set edition. Created by the renowned Daniel Marshall, the humidor's exterior is hand painted and polished with the Marshall's trademark "1000 coat brilliant finish." The interior – made with untreated Spanish cedar – will properly condition and age approximately 100 cigars at optimal humidity levels. Limited to 1,000 worldwide and priced at $999.99, each individually numbered humidor comes embellished with custom medallions inspired by the iconic film and includes a certificate of authenticity.

I wish they would have transfer the original Scarface to HD instead of just including it on DVD.

quote:

Special features
U-Control:
- Scarface Scoreboard—Watch Scarface like never before. Keep track of the number of times the "F" word is used and monitor the bullets fired!
- Picture in Picture—Access interview footage of Brian De Palma, Al Pacino, Screenwriter Oliver Stone, and others without interruption to the movie experience. Also featured is a scene comparison between the 1983 version of Scarface and Howard Hawks' original film.

- The Scarface Phenomenon— This all-new documentary presents Scarface as a unique phenomenon in cinema history. It explores how a film plagued by controversy leading up to its release has become a Hollywood classic, influencing a whole new generation of filmmakers and leaving a lasting imprint on popular culture.
- Deleted Scenes
- The World of Tony Montana —Experience the world of the ultimate gangster and hear from experts on the real world violence, fear and paranoia that surrounds a drug lord.
- The Rebirth —Director Brian De Palma, producer Martin Bregman, actor Al Pacino, and screenwriter Oliver Stone revisit the history of Scarface, from the inspiration of the original Howard Hawks classic to the evolution of the script.
- The Acting — Join the filmmakers, Al Pacino and Steven Bauer to discover how each of the roles was cast and how Brian De Palma worked with his actors to get unforgettable performances.
- The Creating — A fascinating, controversial and definitive journey through the making of the film, which began with the production being forced to leave its initial location in Florida. Discover how the chainsaw scene was filmed, learn about the production design, the photography, and the struggle to get the film an "R" rating.
- Scarface: The TV Version—A revealing and hilarious montage of film clips comparing the theatrical version to the network television version of Scarface.
- The Making of Scarface: The Video Game: Immerse yourself in the world of Scarface in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the video game.

BD-Live
- Pocket Blu
- Advanced Remote Control
- Video Timeline
- Mobile-To-Go
- Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device's easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

------------

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is in no way even close to as bad as the Makioka Sisters' cover. At least this included even the slightest amount of creativity.

I don't know. Minus the middle part, it looks like something I would have made in MS Paint when I was a kid.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 25, 2011

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I guess there's no accounting for taste because I enjoy both, the Chaplin one far more. It's no "giant-heads-floating-over-a-backdrop" but they've got appeal.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sporadic posted:

I don't know. Minus the middle part, it looks like something I would have made in MS Paint when I was a kid.

That's very true. The other one is literally four triangles put together though.

Drawing that stupid Hitler hair on the Great Dictator takes more time and effort than the entire Makioka Sisters cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I prefer the existent Modern Times cover

and the typography on both of them is just wrong somehow

• Locked thread