Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"We sharecroppers, you see, we're honest"

Could you imagine a promo like that being shown today? The shitstorm would be incredible.

In fairness, Bad News would use the term 'sharecropper' on the fans in his promos, so it's not like Roddy pulled that from the ether. But the body paint thing was just horribly misjudged. I sort of see the idea, but it treads a very dangerous line and probably crossed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm surprised those promos we shown even back then.

I guess they got away with alot of things in the past that would be considered incredibly bad taste nowadays, though.

I'm not saying there are no racist celebrities, I'm saying that an industry as image obsessed as Hollywood would not bring in a first time actor who is already known as a racist to work on a project that has a lot of money invested in it.

edit:Why did your post change from when I hit quote it to what it is now?

savinhill fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 23, 2011

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

savinhill posted:

I'm not saying there are no racist celebrities, I'm saying that an industry as image obsessed as Hollywood would not bring in a first time actor who is already known as a racist to work on a project that has a lot of money invested in it.

Mel Gibson has a word for you...sugartits.

In another note, I think it was just a heel promo. And they were magical. In his DVD they had a part when he and Hogan argued about who drew more people to the garden at Wrestlemania I. Hogan says it was Vince and me who drew. Piper says it was the fact that people wanted to see Hogan kick the poo poo out of him. I'd have to agree with that. From what it seems in the DVD, Piper had some major loving heat. For you fans who were watching back in the day, what was his heat like?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

savinhill posted:

Because it was a complete derail and not something I want to get into a debate about, really.

Probably best to keep it about wrestling angles and not Hollywood.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What about his classic promo against Snuka where he hit him with a coconut?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Piper has been called a racist by numerous people and the half-black thing was apparently him trying to piss off Bad News for real so

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Ah, you young 'uns who forget that being a Racist wasn't a "thing" until political correctness took hold in the mid-90s. Before then racists were typically only thought of as card-carrying members of the KKK, not dudes who made jokes about other people's cultural heritages.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Every old person is a racist. This is a fact.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Mel Gibson has a word for you...sugartits.

Yeah, but Mel Gibson's career has been dead since all his dirt came out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Those were heel promos?

For some reason I've always thought it was Roddy Piper as a politically incorrect babyface.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Piper has been called a racist by numerous people and the half-black thing was apparently him trying to piss off Bad News for real so

Why on earth would anyone want to piss off Bad News? I get that Piper takes his rep as a badass pretty seriously but Bad News would have destroyed him in any kind of real fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was Bad News Brown ever a face? It's even crazier to think that he was playing heel during that angle.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CombineThresher posted:

Why on earth would anyone want to piss off Bad News? I get that Piper takes his rep as a badass pretty seriously but Bad News would have destroyed him in any kind of real fight.

Vince was probably the biggest troll of Bad News, from the rat he gave him to the whole Sapphire thing

Also Vince promised him the world title as a way to get him to sign and then conveniently forgot he ever said such a thing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Vince was probably the biggest troll of Bad News, from the rat he gave him to the whole Sapphire thing

Also Vince promised him the world title as a way to get him to sign and then conveniently forgot he ever said such a thing

Wait he gave another guy the rat gimmick bullshit?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad News & Sapphire?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wait he gave another guy the rat gimmick bullshit?

Since everyone had to have an animal back then, in his feud against Steamboat he was given a loving STREET RAT as his mascot.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Bad News & Sapphire?

When Vince brought in Sapphire (which was an attempt to bury Dusty some more since he let the polka dots slide off his back in some great BURIAL SYNERGY), Bad News was pissed because "Sapphire" is an old racial slur referring to a "Mammy" type character, something Vince would have very clearly known. Bad News went up to him and demanded he change it, with Vince acting like he had no idea it was a slur! He said he'd change the name IMMEDIATELY.

And from that day forward, Sapphire was known as...SWEET Sapphire! :ughh:

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

CombineThresher posted:

Why on earth would anyone want to piss off Bad News?

The guy who challenged Andre the Giant to a fight after he made some racial slur, and had Andre back down without fighting him? Yeah, can't see a problem in pissing that guy off...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Saul Goode posted:

The guy who challenged Andre the Giant to a fight after he made some racial slur, and had Andre back down without fighting him? Yeah, can't see a problem in pissing that guy off...

I'd still put my money on Roddy. Not to win, but just to not lose. Roddy can survive loving anything.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I'd still put my money on Roddy. Not to win, but just to not lose. Roddy can survive loving anything.

I imagine their fight would be like the one from They Live.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bad News won a Bronze medal in judo at the Olympics so Roddy would be easily creamed

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad News won a Bronze medal in judo at the Olympics so Roddy would be easily creamed

Totally. I'm just saying, put Bad News, Steve Blackman and Paul Orndorff in an alley with Roddy Piper and they are not gonna kill him. They'll hurt him. They'll gently caress him up. They won't kill him.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
When was the last time a wrestler had a really definitive heel/face turn in the WWE? I mean, not just teasing a turn and pulling back at the last second, a full on heel-to-face or face-to-heel turn. I feel like it hasn't happened in a long-rear end time.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

When was the last time a wrestler had a really definitive heel/face turn in the WWE? I mean, not just teasing a turn and pulling back at the last second, a full on heel-to-face or face-to-heel turn. I feel like it hasn't happened in a long-rear end time.

CM Punk? Big Show turns constantly.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

KungFu Grip posted:

CM Punk? Big Show turns constantly.

He doesn't so much turn as he tags with different alignments at will. The only difference between Heel Show and Face Show is that Face Show stops smiling when poo poo gets real whereas Heel Show smiles when poo poo gets real.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Red posted:

I think it's probably more likely that Piper and the writers/bookers had no common sense to let them consider the possibility that those things might be offensive.
I was going to say, just because someone does something like this doesn't mean they are necessarily a racist, they could just be someone who's both insensitive and very aware of what hot buttons to press (a'la Trey Parker and Matt Stone and other shock comics), but it looks like he's a racist.

That makes me sad since I was under the impression Piper was a really great guy, hopefully he's just extremely insensitive, I guess.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Everyone who Piper ever feuded with was "racist" so I don't know what the big deal is. If insensitive assholes are going to call his symbol of Scottish pride a "skirt" then why shouldn't he hit a Fijian over the head with a coconut?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Saul Goode posted:

Everyone who Piper ever feuded with was "racist" so I don't know what the big deal is. If insensitive assholes are going to call his symbol of Scottish pride a "skirt" then why shouldn't he hit a Fijian over the head with a coconut?

Because there's a difference between "That item of clothing looks funny" and "You and everyone like you lives in tree and are monkeys. You are less than human"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Because there's a difference between "That item of clothing looks funny" and "You and everyone like you lives in tree and are monkeys. You are less than human"

Look I know the Scots are subhuman swine but let's not go that far!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Isn't Piper gay or at least bi-sexual?

You'd think a homosexual or bi-sexual in the earlier days of the wrestling industry would be able to empathise with cultural adversity a bit more.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Roddy Piper has done a lot of cocaine.

RODDY PIPER. HAS DONE A LOT. OF COCAINE.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

MassRayPer posted:

No, people who pretend to be Scots are subhuman swine.

Don't be fooled. Only accept the real MacCoys. And Stewarts. Campbells, MacNeills...

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

CM Funk posted:

He doesn't so much turn as he tags with different alignments at will. The only difference between Heel Show and Face Show is that Face Show stops smiling when poo poo gets real whereas Heel Show smiles when poo poo gets real.

That's what I mean. Pretty much everyone I can think of has just stayed basically the same character and just decided to attack different people. They haven't 180'd a character in a while.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wait for Alberto Del Rio, Wrestling Philanthropist.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5RFVIEOUlA

Piper was the face in the Bad News feud. Pop when he comes out, little pop when he takes of the kilt, pretty loving big pop when he takes off his shirt to reveal he's totally half black and starts to dance.

The best thing to come out of it was the fact that Andre hosed with the solution to remove the paint. Piper was stuck like that for like two weeks IIRC.

Fakeedit: Also, the promo Piper cut at WM VI was loving hysterical. No racial poo poo, just basically calling Bad News an ugly motherfucker in the funniest way possible. I think they knew the match was going to suck a dick and wanted to do something memorable.

Critical fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 23, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SnafuAl posted:

No, people who pretend to be Scots are subhuman swine.

Don't be fooled. Only accept the real MacCoys. And Stewarts. Campbells, MacNeills...
Only upon reading this did I think of the name 'Piper' as 'piper' in reference to his gimmick nationality.

It only took me twelve years!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Saul Goode posted:

Ah, you young 'uns who forget that being a Racist wasn't a "thing" until political correctness took hold in the mid-90s. Before then racists were typically only thought of as card-carrying members of the KKK, not dudes who made jokes about other people's cultural heritages.

Saul Goode posted:

I get it, white pride.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

Look, didnae get me wrong, I’m a big fan of the Scotch people. I love Lulu, and if Taggart's on, I’ll tape it. I was very tired that night, and I was pissed off I was in Glasgow. Colleagues of mine have since visited it during the day, and they say they've had a cracking time.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So how big is Chikara?

The only video I've seen is of that match where the younger luchadore keeps on beating the elderly luchadore in several different match types with the elderly luchadore repeatedly asking for re-matches to make it a best two out of three falls, three out of five falls, four out of seven falls etc, with the last being a match with no time limit. They brawl outside the building and the referee follows them out forcing the show to just continue without the match ending, at the next evenings show the two brawl back into the ring side area in the middle of the show and finally finish the match from the previous night.

From the video it looked like there were less then twenty people in attendance at what looked like a high school gym. Knowing this confused me later on because I've heard of really experienced wrestlers who have had careers in promotions with a national TV product (WCW, WWE, TNA, ECW etc) being associated with or working Chakira shows.

Anyway, the small audience I saw and the direction of that match and many others I've heard about just doesn't seem to fit in with some of the people I've heard associated with the promotion, so I'm hoping someone can explain to me if what I saw was a typical audience, venue and performance for Chakira ( and if not, what is?) if so how they manage to get such (formerly) big names to work their shows?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 23, 2011

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Sue Denim posted:

So how big is Chikara?

The only video I've seen is of that match where the younger luchadore keeps on beating the elderly luchadore in several different match types with the elderly luchadore repeatedly asking for re-matches to make it a best two out of three falls, three out of five falls, four out of seven falls etc, with the last being a match with no time limit. They brawl outside the building and the referee follows them out forcing the show to just continue without the match ending, at the next evenings show the two brawl back into the ring side area in the middle of the show and finally finish the match from the previous night.

From the video it looked like there were less then twenty people in attendance at what looked like a high school gym. Knowing this confused me later on because I've heard of really experienced wrestlers who have had careers in promotions with a national TV product (WCW, WWE, TNA, ECW etc) being associated with or working Chakira shows.

Anyway, the small audience I saw and the direction of that match and many others I've heard about just doesn't seem to fit in with some of the people I've heard associated with the promotion, so I'm hoping someone can explain to me if what I saw was a typical audience, venue and performance for Chakira ( and if not, what is?) if so how they manage to get such (formerly) big names to work their shows?

That was a very old show when they did get very small crowds, but things are a bit bigger now. Actually, this is a very good week to ask as they have just released the full version of one my favourite matches of theirs with a reasonably decent crowd (apparently about 550)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XesuznnHaA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

So how big is Chikara?

Chikara has expanded fairly rapidly over the past few years with their biggest show drawing over 700 people at the ECW arena in Philly which is great for an indy show not named ROH, elsewhere they usually get several hundreds of fans showing up, most notably selling out the Warsaw on their first show in New York. A few years ago they were a lot smaller and stuck to small community centres and other venues where they used to get double digit attendances.

As for the big names associated with it who broke onto TV (CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Colt Cabana, Colin Delaney, Ricardo Rodriguez etc.) everyone has to start somewhere in the wrestling world and quite a lot of the more talented ones started out on the indies, working wherever they could to get paid, get attention or help their friends out, charging about as much as a lower card TNA Knockout.