Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Flushed the coolant.
Adjusted & lubed throttle cables.
Installed a USB charger:
http://i.imgur.com/FaJ8z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5hqUu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m4JTc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iVmoP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/53pu2.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'll look into the torx bolts for sure, since that's probably even more secure than a chain & padlock, as a junkie is much more likely to have bolt cutters than a torx set.

Even better, look for security Torx (they have a pin in the center of the head that prevents a regular torx from working) or Spanner head/Snake eye (two small dots in an otherwise flat head) for maximum anti-crackhead.

McMaster-Carr is a great place to get oddball fasteners like these, though depending on the bolt size you may end up with a pack of 25 even if you only need 2. Plus they'll sell you the individual bit or driver you need for whatever screw size you get.

[/overkill]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

McMaster-Carr is a great place to get oddball fasteners like these, though depending on the bolt size you may end up with a pack of 25 even if you only need 2. Plus they'll sell you the individual bit or driver you need for whatever screw size you get.

[/overkill]

McMaster-Carr is intense. It's what I imagine the Sears catalogue was like back in the homesteader days, only with less prefab houses and more welding gear. Plus you could kill a dude with the book.

So on Sunday I changed the oil, checked the battery (completely charged), checked bolts, checked lube points, aired the tires and rode around the neighborhood for ten minutes. First of the year, baby!

It's been snowing since Sunday night.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
After getting the carbs back together and back in the CB 550, finally had a chance to test it out over the last few days. First run, good idle, but it wouldn't rev well at all. Figured out the floats weren't set correctly, so after that was sorted out she's running pretty drat good now, even with an outside air temp of approximately 4C!

Revs like hell, much better idle and much easier starting it up. Still will need a synch but already it runs better than last year. And yes, i let it warm up for a long time before i took it out.

It's nothing really major I suppose, but it's been my first time loving with carbs and i'm quite happy that nothing completely failed or exploded.

Also, i was thinking of getting this book for some good toilet reading material:
http://www.amazon.ca/Race-Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Bible/dp/0760331405/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1300939884&sr=8-13

Any thoughts on it?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Pope Mobile posted:

Flushed the coolant.
Adjusted & lubed throttle cables.
Installed a USB charger:
http://i.imgur.com/FaJ8z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5hqUu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m4JTc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iVmoP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/53pu2.jpg

Neat! Where did you get the USB charger/port? I'd like to replace my gimmicky setup because it requires I use a tank bag.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Crayvex posted:

Neat! Where did you get the USB charger/port? I'd like to replace my gimmicky setup because it requires I use a tank bag.

There's a member of svrider selling them, but they're also available from BurnsMoto and 3BR.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Tried bump starting the Bonneville today, and it worked! I wasn't sure, since I've heard many people say you can't at all, but others say that you probably can if the battery is just a little low and not totally flat. It was a little scary since I had to do it in rush hour traffic on a fairly major road, but I was running late for work so I didn't have time to swap out the battery.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

I took off the exhaust for ceramic coating and removed the rear taillights/brake light assembly for an all in one LED unit last night.

I really need to get rid of all the zip ties that hold the wiring to the frame on the Monsters and reroute everything but :effort:.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

What did I do today?

I took my Shadow out for the first ride of the season. I ended up heading two towns north to find a hardware store that had some ultra fine bronze wool. It was just a beautiful day along the Front Range and a great way to get back into the swing of things again.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Finally got around to swapping the springs in my SV650. Changed them out for some .90 springs from sonic springs. The install was reasonably painless except getting the front axle off was a massive pain in the rear end. Ended up drilling a hole in the end of a 2x4 and using it as a breaker bar.

I haven't taken it for a real ride yet, but just on the shakedown spin around the block it felt a lot better. My street has really lovely pavement with tons of cracks and potholes which usually bottom out the weak forks on the SV but now that is solved.

dark0duck
May 18, 2005
I AM A FURRY EMO FAG, EXCUSE ME WHILE I CUT MY WRISTS AFTER JACKING OFF TO TIGERS FUCKING OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!
Tweaked my mirrors to look right, polished it, and replaced the spark plugs. Still doesn't feel like it's firing all cylinders though. :bang:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Changed the oil! I'm finally learning to do all kind of poo poo myself, just like a man!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Replaced the forks on my Hawk with another set; stock externals, nice progressive springs and goldtech emulators. Mmm. Also adjusted my chain, previous owner had it way too tight, and stiffened up the shock a tad. Soooo much nicer.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Got off my rear end and fixed the damaged handlebar counterweight on the GS500. Everyone I spoke to thought I would have to drill the remaining screw on the end, but it turned out that hammering the screw stub with a filed down flathead bit allowed it to be extracted without drilling. All 5mm of it. Replaced the screw and decided to try to fire it up.

Of course the battery has lost its charge over the winter. :downs:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Changed the oil/filter and flushed the coolant. Also cleaned and lubed the air filter and am part way through cleaning years of crud off the bike. This is my face after removing the sprocket cover

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

It-sa me, clean moto!

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I got my DT175 running. After cleaning the carb and putting fresh gas in, it fired on the 3rd kick. It doesn't run very well though. I set the mixture screw to 1-3/4 turns per the manual and tried adjusting it in or out from there. It doesn't rev up all that well but it will sit and idle fine. It's seeming like it's building up so it won't rev smoothly. I'm not sure if that's a carb issue or if the autolube is injecting too much oil. I need to figure that out since I'd rather not have to premix my fuel.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Michigan Riding Season 2011: I remember that...day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put on one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

I spent this Saturday installing a new Mustang seat on my Shadow. The stock one was already pretty cracked because the PO(s) stored the poor thing outside in the elements for most of its life. The seat was already in bad shape when I bought the bike in September, and by March when I picked it up from winter storage it looked like something had mauled the hell out of it.

Before (imagine this but with the front of the main seat more or less entirely exposed):

After:

Now I'm not handy in the least, so I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get this thing on. The hardest part was realizing how shamefully bad my toolkit was. I'd gotten by for some time now with nothing more than a sad little zip pouch that contained a hammer, some pliers, and a couple screwdrivers. The whole thing was a high school grad gift from ages ago, so finally getting out and purchasing some real tools (even just a couple of socket wrenches) to get the job done felt something like a growth moment.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
With the help of my big brother, I got my new tires installed on the R6. Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Meh, I'm not a racer.

It was easier than I thought it would be! (I let a shop doing the mounting and balancing)

Nobody breathe! I don't need it falling over!

Cycle shop had mounted and balanced within 30 minutes.

It's all back together again.

Next I need to install that red windshield and silver cobra symbol. (and kidnap a mad scientist or two)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
When your bike's idle is running away like crazy and you can't find the vacuum leak, it might be the carb slide itself...

My DRZ finally runs perfectly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

When your bike's idle is running away like crazy and you can't find the vacuum leak, it might be the carb slide itself...

My DRZ finally runs perfectly.

That is...impressive. I've heard of slides cracking before, but never seen one. Did you find the other piece?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
prepped it for the track. so excited. Texas World Speedway tomorrow. If anyone from here is going I'll be the guy with a black jeep grand cherokee and uhaul trailer and red sv650s with blue tape. Come say hi or something.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

prepped it for the track. so excited. Texas World Speedway tomorrow. If anyone from here is going I'll be the guy with a black jeep grand cherokee and uhaul trailer and red sv650s with blue tape. Come say hi or something.

sounds like someones first time

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

schreibs posted:

sounds like someones first time

actually.. 3rd. Can't help it... But this time I'm going by myself and since I know there is other Houston riders here somewhere figured why not.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

That is...impressive. I've heard of slides cracking before, but never seen one. Did you find the other piece?

Nope! And yes, the thought of how well it made it through the engine scares the crap out of me.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Frame sliders, steering dampener, new chain and sprockets.

Soon some new wave rotors and bars, maybe new rear shock/cartridges for the front. Then done.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Did a little test riding on my DT175 after messing with the carb a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnqcBSWCek

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Changed out my ancient (in both design and manufacture) rear tire for a new one. Traded an AVON SM MKII for a KENDA K671.

http://geirskogul.imgur.com/enfield_tire_change_2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I rounded off a hex bolt while trying to remove old frame sliders. God almighty. :ughh:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could definitely be worse, at least you have the option of hacking off the slider and getting vicegrips on it.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Could definitely be worse, at least you have the option of hacking off the slider and getting vicegrips on it.

Going to bring it to a mechanic tomorrow and have them use their real tools to get it out. Hopefully riding it home with a loose engine bolt wont screw anything up. This whole thing started because I tried to use a 5/16 hex extension to remove a stuck 8mm bolt. Those .0525mm did me in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vice Grips are key if you run an older bike or am as hamfisted as I am. Better to get the bolt out and have to buy a new one than never get it out or round it off and give up. Kudos.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had the local Suzuki place drill the bolt out and install the new sliders. $120 (charged me for an hour and a half of labor :/). Painful, but what're you going to do. My bike and I are in a love-hate relationship right now.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

kylej posted:

Painful, but what're you going to do.

Do it yourself? You could have gone out and bought the right tool for $10 before you buggered it up.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mutt2jeff posted:

Do it yourself? You could have gone out and bought the right tool for $10 before you buggered it up.

Thanks for the suggestion. Next time something goes wrong I will reverse time and fix the problem before it happens.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Next time you will use the right tool and not have a problem at all hopefully.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Since I had the day off from work, I decided to do all the maintenance for my bike. All the simple stuff I wasn't worried about, the big task was checking/adjusting my valves. I have the service manual and a nice blog that had step by step instructions up until the adjustment as well as a whole forum dedicated to the bike, so I felt pretty confident in doing it myself.

Maybe it's because it's my first time, maybe I just suck at it, but my god is that the most tedious and painful thing I've done in a long time. Spent 6 hours making sure I didn't gently caress it up. Of course wondering the whole time if I was TDC on the compression or the exhaust stroke because I couldn't really tell. On one TDC it was tougher to turn the crank but there was no pressure on my finger covering the spark plug hole, the other I felt pressure but was pretty easy to turn. I'm still unsure if I did it in the right stroke even after I had my father check for pressure as well, since he works on all his own cars, I hoped he knew more than I did. If I didn't screw it up, I'm glad I did them, both the exhaust were extremely tight and the intakes were off as well. The adjustments were a huge pain because I didn't have the special tool, never making that mistake again.

I put it back together and it ran! It seemed to run better at idle and when I took it out for a spin, it ran pretty good, until it warmed fulled and seemed to make a new sound I noticed. It sounded like a weed whacker from a long distance away in addition to the standard valve noise. I'm still unsure if I did the adjustments right, but I'm assuming if I didn't, the bike would be running like poo poo. Maybe $200 is worth the peace of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
stripped the shrouds, seat, gas tank and pulled out the carby in anticipation of a jet kit which will hopefully arrive soon..