Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Sion posted:

Ditch BBC Parliament,
That'd save you £10m a year, but quite frankly, it's value in a democratic society is beyond a simple financial figure. It's the last thing that should be cut.

By the way, they spent £20m per year on EastEnders, Casualty, Holby City, Doctors, River City and Pobol y Cwm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I was listening to the latest episode of Brooker's So Wrong It's Right.

How did I not know about this sooner?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pablo Bluth posted:

That'd save you £10m a year, but quite frankly, it's value in a democratic society is beyond a simple financial figure. It's the last thing that should be cut.

By the way, they spent £20m per year on EastEnders, Casualty, Holby City, Doctors, River City and Pobol y Cwm.

Holby city and Casualty are good in that it's not as over the top as Eastenders. It's still soapy but because each week it's different people with different real problems it comes off as less ridiculous.

Eastenders, on the other hand, needs to loving die. Sadly, i think the show will still be on the air when we're all dead and burried.

As for the BBC late night stuff. I thought that they more or less just repeated daytime TV shows for the hearing impared to record and watch? Surely it can't be that expensive to show repeats?

The 24 hour news can definitely be cut because if you've ever had the misfortune of working in a place that only lets you put the news or sport on the TVs, you'll notice that it simply repeats the exact same information every 15 minutes. There are never any in depth reports and it's usually just the same crap churned out all day.

The solution is to record a news broadcast (maybe 30 minutes to an hour) then stick it on iplayer or the red button so that people can access it at any point in the day. If a new development occurs, a new recording goes up.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Mark Lawson's interview with David Mitchell on BBC Four has been a good watch. It's nearly finished now, but worth a trip to iplayer if you've got a spare hour.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dear god I'm almost sorry I watched that. I can understand Charlie's reaction a bit better now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pablo Bluth posted:

Ouch, that looked brutal.

What did Brooker have to say about it?

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended State of Play.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Sion posted:

Ditch BBC Parliament.

BBC Parliament should relay be spun out as it's own network publicly funded broadcasting what is going on in parliament, committees, Westminster hall, and the lords. With a limited running cometary in captions and voice-over covering who is speaking and on what topic. And do the same for the Welsh assembly and Scottish parliament. no editorial slant just a window on parliament. similar to attending the public galleries or reading hansard.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Kin posted:

Eastenders, on the other hand, needs to loving die. Sadly, i think the show will still be on the air when we're all dead and burried.

Why? It's hugely popular and has been a BBC flagship for over 25 years. One of my pet peeves is when people complain about "my license fee being spent on x" just because they don't like it. I'm not British myself (pay a licence fee in Ireland though), but if I were and licence fees were spent just on things I like, the BBC wouldn't be around for very long.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mickolution posted:

Why? It's hugely popular and has been a BBC flagship for over 25 years. One of my pet peeves is when people complain about "my license fee being spent on x" just because they don't like it. I'm not British myself (pay a licence fee in Ireland though), but if I were and licence fees were spent just on things I like, the BBC wouldn't be around for very long.

Because Kin lives in a world of rain, hyperbole and poorly thought out sentences, that's why.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mickolution posted:

I have to agree with this, BBC Three is a good example of this (I know there's a lot of good hate for the channel).

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

You also have to remember that one of the conditions of the BBC getting all of our lovely licence fee money is that they have to cover areas and audiences which aren't commercially attractive or popular. Which is why you get BBC Alba and BBC Four and BBC Parliament and the shipping forecast and Radio 3 Folk Music awards. If the BBC didn't do that stuff, no-one would.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Metrication posted:

I have to agree with this, BBC Three is a good example of this (I know there's a lot of good hate for the channel).

Yeah. BBC3 is awful in my opinion, but it's not really aimed at me. I'm sure a lot of BBC3 viewers would say the same about BBC4, which I watch all the time. Personally, I'd like to see BBC3 a lot less dumbed down, but I don't know the viewing figures so I can't say if it's successful or not.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Yeah. BBC3 is awful in my opinion, but it's not really aimed at me. I'm sure a lot of BBC3 viewers would say the same about BBC4, which I watch all the time. Personally, I'd like to see BBC3 a lot less dumbed down, but I don't know the viewing figures so I can't say if it's successful or not.

The difference being though, if BBC3 ceased to exist you could find similar programs on ITV2 etc. If BBC4 ceased to exist that type of channel can't really be found anywhere commercially (except maybe Sky Arts). Therefore BBC3 should be axed long before BBC4 has to be.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

nationalista posted:

The difference being though, if BBC3 ceased to exist you could find similar programs on ITV2 etc. If BBC4 ceased to exist that type of channel can't really be found anywhere commercially (except maybe Sky Arts). Therefore BBC3 should be axed long before BBC4 has to be.

You've got a point, but doesn't the BBC have a duty to cover as many areas as possible? As I said, I don't know the viewing figures for BBC3, but if it's getting good ratings, then I don't see a problem. The fact that similar stuff is on another channel doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

nationalista posted:

I wouldn't mind if both of them them were merged together.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't mind if both of them them were merged together.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, I reckon. Would probably result in a medium between the two which would please neither sets of viewers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

nationalista posted:

The difference being though, if BBC3 ceased to exist you could find similar programs on ITV2 etc.

You will never be able to find minor celebrities investigating aliens or competitions to find Britain's best young butcher on ITV2 :colbert:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Mickolution posted:

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, I reckon. Would probably result in a medium between the two which would please neither sets of viewers.

Oh I dunno, I'd like to see Georgian Snog Marry Avoid.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I saw Azerbaijani X-Factor once, it was like a skit from Borat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sion posted:

Marriage, Servitude or Syphilis.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sion posted:

Young, Dumb and living off Elgar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Idealth The Clove.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Two steins of mead and a leg of mutton.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I enjoy Ideal and I'd seriously watch it and a majority of BBC3 Progamming if they were done in the 18th and 19th century styles.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

There was some decent stuff on it when it started, but I haven't seen anything new there in years that I'd have any interest in. That "Coming of Age" show might be the worst thing I've ever seen. If anything, the parody of it in How TV Ruined My Life (the Kevin Eldon sketch) was toned down because the real thing is beyond poo poo and a parody needs to be somewhat believable to work.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mickolution posted:

That "Coming of Age" show might be the worst thing I've ever seen.

Having seen the trailers for that show, I'm convinced someone found some old scripts for Two Pints of Lager, changed the characters' names and is trying to pass it off as new.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Rarity posted:

Having seen the trailers for that show, I'm convinced someone found some old scripts for Two Pints of Lager, changed the characters' names and is trying to pass it off as new.

Well it was written by on one the Two Pints of Lager writers so it wouldn't surprise me.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mickolution posted:

There was some decent stuff on it when it started, but I haven't seen anything new there in years that I'd have any interest in.
Being Human was excellent and that just finished last week. And currently, that Junior Doctors thing is reasonably interesting.

Plus, it shows repeats of Doctor Who, which is jolly good if you've only got Freeview and you need something on the telly to keep the small fry entertained while you're cooking dinner.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

It makes Two Pints look like Shakespeare.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I sort of like the characters in Two Pints.

But Coming of Age which I've only seen once made me hate everyone. In the last weeks episode preview 30 seconds into the program.

Also, been a long time since I saw a TV program with a joke along of the lines of 'Heh this character is GAY so things aren't the same for them as straight people!'

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
That thing where they shipped little wankers off to live with other people was pretty good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

You will never <trim> find Britain's best young butcher on ITV2 :colbert:
What's wrong with the Beeb celebrating genuine talent in an important but unglamorous field? joking aside, you wouldn't find it on ITV2. Not unless it became 'Britain Best Celeb Butcher', in which bit-part soap actor takes on singer from failed girl group.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mickolution posted:

Because it's the same trite storylines repeated over and over and over again. You're literally watching a live broadcast from hell that has been running non stop for 25 years.

There doesn't need to be 4 loving episodes of it a week.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Kin posted:

You're literally watching a live broadcast from hell that has been running non stop for 25 years.

I know it's all opinion and whatever but I can honestly not understand how anyone, anyone, can spend a day in work then come home and sit in front of Eastenders to relax. Every day (nearly). I can't get my head around how after about 2 or 3 weeks you wouldn't just kill yourself.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I sort of like the characters in Two Pints.

I enjoyed Johnny's portrayal of a simple biscuit-loving person who was quite nice. But he's dead and everyone else is poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Crackerman posted:

I know it's all opinion and whatever but I can honestly not understand how anyone, anyone, can spend a day in work then come home and sit in front of Eastenders to relax. Every day (nearly). I can't get my head around how after about 2 or 3 weeks you wouldn't just kill yourself.

Life in the UK is depressing enough without the fiction we're turning to get away from it reminding us turned up to eleven.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SeanBeansShako posted:

Life in the UK is depressing enough without the fiction we're turning to get away from it reminding us turned up to eleven.

No no, the whole point is that we can feel glad that at least our dad isn't a coke-addicted ex-gangster with rage issues and our mum isn't sleeping with the landlord to pay the rent. It's the most feel good show ever!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

No no, the whole point is that we can feel glad that at least our dad isn't a coke-addicted ex-gangster with rage issues and our mum isn't sleeping with the landlord to pay the rent. It's the most feel good show ever!

That's what Jeremy Kyle is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Has anybody watched White Van Man?