Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Another question.

How do I go about keeping my tripod/camera steady in wind? I'm looking at a bunch of my photos from iceland and the wind has made a lot of the photos slightly blurry like they are slightly out of focus.

Now this is 80km/h winds so I dont know if theres a solution to that but i'm pretty sure they were vibrating the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

Sample 100% crop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Fists Up posted:

Another question.

How do I go about keeping my tripod/camera steady in wind? I'm looking at a bunch of my photos from iceland and the wind has made a lot of the photos slightly blurry like they are slightly out of focus.

Now this is 80km/h winds so I dont know if theres a solution to that but i'm pretty sure they were vibrating the camera.

Those are some serious winds. Hang rocks/weights from your tripod. Construct massive, ridiculous windblock around tripod. Or just try standing upwind.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Yeh it was pretty intense.

Like blowing people over on the ice.

Ive got a video of myself walking into the wind at a glacier when it was blowing like 30metres/second.

I had to lean forward pretty far.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
That is superb.

The lighting in this image is such that the composition appears to look 3D-rendered. I really dig that. I try to photograph my landscapes in the same way; that the light in my images resemble lighting in paintings rather than photographs.

I also like the simple elegance in the design of that building. With the top level somewhat resembling the ground floor. The whole thing looks like a cylinder, side-on. What building is it? Where is it?

Also, may I ask what body/lens you used for this? There was no EXIF info.

H

asteroceras posted:

Sample 100% crop:

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn

octane2 posted:

What building is it? Where is it?

Also, may I ask what body/lens you used for this? There was no EXIF info.

H

Thanks for your comments. I don't know what the building's called, it's just a small tower on the Isle of Dogs in London.

The only lens I ever use now is the Canon TS-E 17mm on my 550D. I can't bear to take out my Sigma 10-20 because I fear the distortion, chromatic abberation and low sharpness, and I don't often have need of my 70-200 f4.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I could use some advice for post-processing on these types of shots.

This is my original file:

This is my latest edit of it:

Westin Hotel, Warsaw by InternetJunky.ca, on Flickr

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
Firstly, you should take the original photo better by planning to make corrections in advance. For example, with your original shot, you cannot correct the converging verticals without cropping out one of the street lamps on the left (which have a nice starburst effect on them). Also, it looks like you did not fix the white balance in the RAW file, so shoot in RAW and either do a custom WB on site or when you convert the RAW file at home.

You can imagine how moving your aim point will give you more margin to correct the verticals, will show more of the street instead of blank sky, and some points of interest will move toward the rule-of-thirds lines and points.

This is a 1-minute (literally) set of adjustments that improve the image significantly:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

InternetJunky posted:

How are you people getting such "clean" night time shots?

My first HDR :ohdear:

[edit] ^ 3 shots at 50 seconds each.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 10, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

asteroceras posted:

This is a 1-minute (literally) set of adjustments that improve the image significantly:

What did you use to negate the bow effect?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SaNChEzZ posted:

What did you use to negate the bow effect?

Lightroom and Photoshop both can correct for lens distortion.

asteroceras
Mar 18, 2007

by T. Finn
I think SaNChEzZ means the converging verticals(?) I just used Transform->Perspective in Photoshop

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
Its not a night time long exposure, but can it pretend so it'll fit in?

I really dont know how to make it very interesting. Its IR, and the scene was mostly shades of blue, so I tried a black and white conversion.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

asteroceras posted:

I think SaNChEzZ means the converging verticals(?) I just used Transform->Perspective in Photoshop

Yes I did mean converging verticals.. that's amazing, never really thought about it. Shows how much I know about PP :)

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
An exercise in making my own life difficult, also I hate galaxy season, they are all so annoyingly tiny.

NGC4244 The Silver Needle Galaxy

An edge-on loose Spiral galaxyin the constellation Canes Venatici.
27 x 5 minutes
Modified Canon 1000D with Astronomik CLS CCD clip filter
250mm F4.7 Reflector
Celestron CGEM Mount
Piggy back guided with modified webcam
Calibrated, stacked and processed with Pixinsight

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Rhyolite Mercantile by xxyzz road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Rhyolite General Store by xxyzz road, on Flickr

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
TheAngryDrunk,

Did you setup any an artificial lights for your Rhyolite shots, or did you just use what was there? Being a ghost town I wouldn't think there's many lights around.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

jm3000 posted:

TheAngryDrunk,

Did you setup any an artificial lights for your Rhyolite shots, or did you just use what was there? Being a ghost town I wouldn't think there's many lights around.

A mix of both. There's still active mining going on, so there actually are some lights nearby.

The red hue on the mercantile building is from my car brake lights.

The lights in the general store shot (in the background) are from two huge street lights a couple hundred feet away. The long exposure makes sure any available light really gets picked up.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Zero post processing, shot in RAW with no WB setup, I will have to correct that later.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Orion over Griffith Observatory by johnm3000, on Flickr

jm3000 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2011

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
What's the easiest way to get a nice starry night sky photo in a more urban environment with a lot of light pollution? I'd love to get a sky full of dotted stars, but somehow I think star trails will be all I would be able to get.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Stacking lots of exposures I guess. But your best bet is probably heading out of town for the evening.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

[edit] Whoa that last one is on the piss, correcting... (also cleaned up iso noise)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 16, 2011

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I've had some opportunity over the past few weeks to get out to remote areas and attempt shots of the night sky, but I only really end up with a few stars. I'm hoping there is something I'm doing wrong beyond just having an entry level DSLR.

Here's what I'm shooting:
Rebel XS w/Tamrom 17-50/2.8

I usually stop down to F8 or so, set a 30 second exposure and put the ISO at 1600. Can I use a larger aperture and still get a good infinity focus? That's the last thing I can think of trying.

At the moment, I end up with the star I used to focus and then maybe a few fainter stars around it, but none of the deep, rich starfields I've seen others shoot. Do I need to just get a gimbal, a camera with a higher ISO and a remote trigger for longer exposures?

I plan to try larger apertures tonight and see what comes of it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Elite Taco posted:

I usually stop down to F8 or so

There's the problem. Shoot wide open.

A remote trigger won't really matter on such a long exposure.

Can you post an example of what you got?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

There's the problem. Shoot wide open.

Can you post an example of what you got?

Thanks for the tips! Last night's pictures were much better. I will post my results when I get home tomorrow.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

pictures

crap photo, but I had to. Photosoc?

Better photo:
8 second exposure, lit with a LED torch (I was going for lo-fi)

m4mbo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 19, 2011

bandaid
Jan 13, 2008

Any tips to get rid of this blue streak?

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
My first picture of the moon!

Full Moon by J-YG, on Flickr

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
Holy crap, I checked my deviantart (yeah, I know...) profile today, and I had 1200+ feedback messages. Normally I'll get 10 a week or so.

It turns out that one of my photos was made a Daily Deviation, which I guess is the reason for the massive amount of favourites. I feel all warm and fuzzy. =0)

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Night at Old Rag by johnm3000, on Flickr

Night on Skyline Drive by johnm3000, on Flickr

jm3000 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 20, 2011

vladTO
Mar 22, 2011

A look at the young ones by vlad TO, on Flickr
13sec, 18mm f/10

Also, my moon pic this saturday:

Night... Now with 15% more moon by vlad TO, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

m4mbo posted:

Better photo:
8 second exposure, lit with a LED torch (I was going for lo-fi)

This is pretty cool, would like to see a series of these, did you "paint" the person with a flashlight waving it around or was the beam just pointed at his face? Is this a self portrait?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It won't be too bad at that focal length, but mirror lockup and a remote are still a good idea. Otherwise, set exposure length to an extra second or two and hold a black card in front of the lens for that time so it's perfectly steady. Also keep in mind that at 50mm you have about 10 seconds before you start going from points to trails, someone mentioned in here a few weeks ago that the rule of thumb is t=500/focal length.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is pretty cool, would like to see a series of these, did you "paint" the person with a flashlight waving it around or was the beam just pointed at his face? Is this a self portrait?

Thanks! I've begun exploring long exposure portraits since this shoot, they are very hit and miss! Sometimes the blur doesn't look good at all, I'm trying to work out what makes it work and what doesn't.

I was light painting, mainly keeping the beam on the model but changing where it was coming from (all camera left)
It's not a self portrait, though I may be in the picture, that black blob/blur on the left side I think is me twatting about with the light.

Shooting this sort of thing with film makes it a lot easier because it is quite hard to meter for, had I shot this digitally it wouldn't have come out at all!

m4mbo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 25, 2011

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

InternetJunky posted:

I know this is really old, but I want to ask the same question Ak Gara asked. What tweaks are you doing to this shot to get such a clean look? You went from a kind of muddy looking shot to a crisp sharp photo.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

Falco posted:

I know this is really old, but I want to ask the same question Ak Gara asked. What tweaks are you doing to this shot to get such a clean look? You went from a kind of muddy looking shot to a crisp sharp photo.

Looks like sharpening and a combination of pulling up blacks/pulling down whites to me

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The Mother Road and the Milky Way Part Deux by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The Mother Road and the Milky Way Part Deux by xxyzz road, on Flickr

How did you avoid star trails with a 30 second exposure?

What annoys me is, if my camera takes a 10 second exposure, it then goes into "processing mode" for 10 seconds. A 20 second exposure makes me wait 20 seconds, 30 for 30, 60 for 60, etc. It's really annoying because I like to take multiple exposures for error correction but the pause time makes a gap in recording.

Do all cameras do this or is it just mine?