Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Thank you both! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Let's get 80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiDGyY55K_A

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Can anyone explain bassline resampling, specifically for Dubstep and Drum and Bass?

Whenever I read up on forums of people asking how Skrillex or Noisia or whoever get their basslines to sound so "fat", a bunch of people eventually agree that the way to do it is to "resample the bassline, add filter sweeps and chorus effects or whatever, gently caress around till it sounds good." However, that kind of general advice never really helped me, and I'm wondering if anyone could sort of break it down or at least post some general guidelines and tips. Hell, a video explanation on youtube would be amazing, but I haven't been able to find much of that matter on there but I'm sure there's someone out there who's explained it.

From what I understand, let's say I'm making a dubstep track in Ableton. I would make a nice sounding bassline in Massive, add some LFO and distortion, then freeze and flatten it, then take the new wave file and add some more effects to it, and keep the cycle of freeze->flatten->effects->repeat until it sounds awesome enough. However when I try this it comes out sounding incredibly muddy no matter what I try to do, and then it's impossible to make it fit right into the mix from there on out. How do I generally go about doing this?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

wayfinder posted:

Here's something new that I whipped up when I woke up at 2am and couldn't go to sleep again because I'm sick

The track is comingly along nicely though: http://snd.sc/fF7irT (Trance)

raving in my chair 2 this

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I'm planning on doing some autotune-the-news-esque songs. Are there any cheap/free VSTs for autotune? I need one specifically that can adjust pitch based on MIDI notes. I know Antares Autotune can do it, but it's 300 dollars :(.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

The Dark Wind posted:

Can anyone explain bassline resampling, specifically for Dubstep and Drum and Bass?

Whenever I read up on forums of people asking how Skrillex or Noisia or whoever get their basslines to sound so "fat", a bunch of people eventually agree that the way to do it is to "resample the bassline, add filter sweeps and chorus effects or whatever, gently caress around till it sounds good." However, that kind of general advice never really helped me, and I'm wondering if anyone could sort of break it down or at least post some general guidelines and tips. Hell, a video explanation on youtube would be amazing, but I haven't been able to find much of that matter on there but I'm sure there's someone out there who's explained it.

From what I understand, let's say I'm making a dubstep track in Ableton. I would make a nice sounding bassline in Massive, add some LFO and distortion, then freeze and flatten it, then take the new wave file and add some more effects to it, and keep the cycle of freeze->flatten->effects->repeat until it sounds awesome enough. However when I try this it comes out sounding incredibly muddy no matter what I try to do, and then it's impossible to make it fit right into the mix from there on out. How do I generally go about doing this?

I would like to know more about this aswell.

Also, here's one way to do it, by Noisia :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjO1c8TfhE

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Dark Wind posted:

The impression I get is that when people say 'resample', they tend to mean 'layer'. I'm loving amateur (and uncreative) but I generally find better results by layering different patches playing the same rhythm, and carving out their sweet spots with EQ, than by piling effect after effect onto one sound. As far as I can tell, resampling/freezing/flattening is more about keeping your CPU happy. So yeah, try duplicating your Massive track and changing the timbre around.

EDIT: I also got little help from searching through threads on dubstepforum with the tired "how do i sampled wub" "resample, /thread" theme. BUT, I just remembered one particular post that seemed enlightening - basically the guy was getting at resampling into a sampler like Kontakt (or... Sampler), as opposed to simply flattening the track. It follows that since samplers stretch files across keyranges by playing them at different rates, that this is a form of processing in itself. I'm embarrassingly unfamiliar with even Sampler, but it seems to me that if you were to sample one note into it, and play a lower note with it, the stretch artifacting could conceivably add 'fatness'. Does that make any sense?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2011

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Give this a shot

http://www.boyinaband.com/tutorials/dirty-dubstep-tutorial/

And just throwing effects on top of freezes and rinse/repeating is going to make a terrible, terrible noise. This is how digital hardcore was born.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

dookie posted:

I'm planning on doing some autotune-the-news-esque songs. Are there any cheap/free VSTs for autotune? I need one specifically that can adjust pitch based on MIDI notes. I know Antares Autotune can do it, but it's 300 dollars :(.

You might want to try GSnap. I haven't used it myself, but there aren't too many pitch-correctors out there.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
http://soundcloud.com/simon_nelson/heliopause-work-in-progress

Just started this Electro jam and won't be able to properly mix it until my new headphone cable gets here but I think it's coming along pretty well... Not gonna bother with reverb until I have reliable monitoring so its still pretty dry

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Not really sure where to put this, so I'll throw it here.

http://soundcloud.com/mayeah/tanklife-mix

50 minutes of original productions by ~myself~, mixed together like a DJ set. Just finished this a few days ago, I'd really appreciate if you'd take a listen and let me know what you think :) It's house/club/rave-inspired music, not one specific genre really. I'm proud of it but I'd like to get opinions from other producers.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

That Wicked Walrus posted:

50 minutes of original productions by ~myself~, mixed together like a DJ set. Just finished this a few days ago, I'd really appreciate if you'd take a listen and let me know what you think :) It's house/club/rave-inspired music, not one specific genre really. I'm proud of it but I'd like to get opinions from other producers.

left you some comments. just letting everyone know its NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK!

edit: its actually.. kinda.. good?

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 19, 2011

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I suck at making "music"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ez4Updgt8

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

left you some comments. just letting everyone know its NOT AS BAD AS YOU THINK!

edit: its actually.. kinda.. good?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
More new music: http://snd.sc/igYDvt (trance)

Something a little more 2011 than what I usually make :) Looking for any feedback I can get!

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Just a quick question: Ableton. I've heard it's really easy to use, but coming from FL Studio (Checked out the demo of Ableton) it's kind of confusing. I've gotten some of the basics of effects and clip additions and a little bit of the timeline stuff down, but can someone who's more familiar maybe give a few pointers on a bit of the slightly more complicated stuff? Like, even how to pull up stuff like effects menus without adding more stuff. I've checked around and most of the guides I've found are little confusing or don't go into enough detail. The in editor guide helps, but it's not perfect.

Also.

Das Butterbrot posted:

90s FPS music? I like it. Sounds like it could be out of Deus Ex or something :)

Really sorry man, didn't see this. Thank you very much, really appreciated.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's a pretty good ableton thread in here, somewhere. Normally it's on the frontpage, might be worth poking through.

Regarding the basics, ableton is pretty much a DAW + an instrument. You kind of have to jam with it some times. Pretty much everything is drag & drop, which is cool. You can just layer fx and clips as much as you want.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

dolphins are gay posted:

there's a pretty good ableton thread in here, somewhere. Normally it's on the frontpage, might be worth poking through.

Regarding the basics, ableton is pretty much a DAW + an instrument. You kind of have to jam with it some times. Pretty much everything is drag & drop, which is cool. You can just layer fx and clips as much as you want.

Thanks, forgot about the thread, gonna go check that out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gibberish posted:

Let's get 80s

Oh man, this is exactly the kind of music I wish I could make :( Any chance you could hit me up and teach me a few tricks? I have plat, so I take PM's and mails (mail 'at' kjempehemmelig 'dot' no) I'm pretty much a beginner (programmer, not really musician), so I don't really have anything to show off. (Really love 'Violence' as well, it's exactly the kind of sound I'm trying to get!)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So today I was on DJTechTools and started reading up about the whole Porter Robinson story, so it got me inspired to open up Ableton and try to make some electro house.

After a couple of hours of messing around I came up with this. This is probably my first official attempt at electro-house. It's still a work in progress, but I figured I'd post it here and open myself up to criticism. I really want to make this sound the best possible. I feel like the bass could be grittier, but I've tried all sorts of distortion and EQ and can't quite get that sound how I want it. If anyone has any tips to improve what I have of this track I'd love to hear it.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 22, 2011

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm deciding to upgrade my audio interface and so far the NI Traktor Audio 10 seems to be the one I'm most taken with at the moment. Has anyone had any experience with it?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

glitchkrieg posted:

I'm deciding to upgrade my audio interface and so far the NI Traktor Audio 10 seems to be the one I'm most taken with at the moment. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Any particular reason why you want this one? Looking at it, I don't see a single XLR input, and I'm not even sure if it has any 1/4 inputs as well. If you ever wanted to record a guitar or vocals for any reason (and I'm sure you will at some point, don't limit yourself!), you wouldn't be able to with this interface. The Audio 10 is made for DJing with 4 decks, so if you plan on doing that a lot, then go for it. Otherwise there are many other interfaces that would do the Audio 10's job and more. My school gave me a UX2 along with a laptop when I started here, and although it's made more for guitar users it's served my needs well. Although personally, I would look for an audio interface that has XLR outputs so you can hook up monitors using those instead of 1/4 or RCA cables.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

glitchkrieg posted:

That's a pretty specialized interface aimed at vinyl DJs / turntablists. It's likely a solid piece of gear, but unless you need built in phono preamps, there are bound to be other interfaces with better value for the money.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Thanks for the replies. I should probably detail why I was after that one in particular.

I've currently got the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. I'm mainly using this for DJing at the moment, and it does pretty much all I want but after buying a Kaoss Pad 3 last year it doesn't have enough input/output pairs.

Really I need:

• 2 output pairs to route to a DJ mixer OR if no mixer is available depending on the venue, one output to go to the sound system and one output for headphone monitoring from the interface
  • An input pair and output pair to use as send/return for the Kaoss Pad

Preferably these inputs/outputs need to be RCA as I play tiny venues and I've only ever encountered these.

I'd like an 1/4 input pair for my Electribe but that's really not a showstopper as I've got an old Yamaha mixing console I acquired from work, so at the moment I just route it through there if needs be (which is rare as I hardly use the Electribe). The console has XLR inputs too, so I'm not too fussed about getting an interface with them on, especially as if I need vocals I'll get a mate with way more equipment/experience to record them.

Phono pre-amps aren't necessary but might be useful as my housemate has decks that could be incorporated into parties/jams at home etc.

The NI Traktor 10 is the only interface I've found that has lots and lots of RCA pairs, all the rest seem to think 2 is enough and then use 1/4s.

Budget is up to £400. Any recommendations?

Edit: looking at cable sites I supposed I could go with something from the Focusrite Saffire series and then use 1/4 -> RCA cables?

hexa fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 23, 2011

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Random chatter: anyone have any interest in a prize-less for the hell of it contest? Bored while working and I'm going through my old tindeck uploads and came across both my entries from Songs for the Deaf, and from the one we did where everyone in a group wrote parts separately with a tempo and key signiture in mind without hearing the rest, then one person mixed and uploaded. Would totally be down for something like either of those if anyone else would be.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

Edit: Never mind, problem solved- playback in Edison was slaved to host.

Annoying problem. Using Fl Studio 9, I recorded a bell chord pattern I made with Sytrus into a sample that I'm now using in my song, now whenever I start the entire song from the beginning it plays once and whenever I play a pattern the sample just loops, it is mind-bendingly irritating. Am I missing something obvious here? I thoroughly scanned the playlist and it doesn't look like I pasted it somewhere and forgot, it also doesn't explain why the gently caress it plays every time I start a pattern.

Jazz Cigarettes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 24, 2011

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
I'm switching from a visual compressor/limiter to a higher quality SSL Compressor. How do you use a compressor without the visual aid helping you? Usually on the limiter, I would lower the threshold by checking the actual waveform to assess what needs to be "squashed", but without the visuals on a compressor Im finding its more of just listening and guesswork... is there something I'm missing here?

Jazz Cigarettes posted:

Annoying problem. Using Fl Studio 9, I recorded a bell chord pattern I made with Sytrus into a sample that I'm now using in my song, now whenever I start the entire song from the beginning it plays once and whenever I play a pattern the sample just loops, it is mind-bendingly irritating. Am I missing something obvious here? I thoroughly scanned the playlist and it doesn't look like I pasted it somewhere and forgot, it also doesn't explain why the gently caress it plays every time I start a pattern.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem, but if you exported a .zip of your track, I could take a look and try to assess the problem!

E1M5 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 24, 2011

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Warning: May annoy the poo poo out of you :siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8PWI028Jk4

From here.

edit: Also, it's the first thing I've ever done in Ableton Live. :dukedog:

Gibberish fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 24, 2011

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

E1M5 posted:

I'm switching from a visual compressor/limiter to a higher quality SSL Compressor. How do you use a compressor without the visual aid helping you? Usually on the limiter, I would lower the threshold by checking the actual waveform to assess what needs to be "squashed", but without the visuals on a compressor Im finding its more of just listening and guesswork... is there something I'm missing here?

I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem, but if you exported a .zip of your track, I could take a look and try to assess the problem!

General know-how and watching the gain meter, basically. Eventually you develop an ear for when the thing clamps down.

RoboTiio
Dec 29, 2007
ointernet!

Gibberish posted:

Let's get 80s

Digging this a lot, its got its own swagger and style. Definitely is going for something and knows what it is.

My only criticism is that the LFO or whatever you have on that synth line that is making it flutter... The fluttery-ness seems like it conflicts with the beat at some points. Just a hunch, but it seems to me like the rate of the LFO doesn't sync up evenly with the BPMs. ed: It's most evident at the beginning, from 0:20-0:50, when there isn't much going on besides that synth and the rhythm.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Okay, I'm trying my hand at dubstep. Unfortunately, I... uh... am not very good at it.

http://tindeck.com/listen/sugr

Can anyone give me some hints on what to work on? I don't listen to a ton of dubstep, so it's not immediately jumping out at me :shobon:

edit: gently caress me, never mind. I can see about a billion things wrong with this. Gonna be a while :(

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 27, 2011

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
:siren:GOON COLLAB:siren:

Myself and dear old Quincy Smallvoice just put out a promo track, located :woop:HERE:woop:. It's free and it's totally awesome, listen/download/tell your mother about it/tell your mother to tell her boyfriend about it/tell her boyfriend to stop asking you to call him dad.

Or you know, any one or two of those would be fine too.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Stupid newbie here, with a lame question. Are there any free programs [broke-rear end university student] that use VST instruments that don't record the song "live" during playback? I'm on a netbook and the program I'm using [Darkwave Studio] appears to only record "live", but the song skips during playback occaisionally, effectively ruining any chance of recording what I've made. This is just a little hobby of mine, plus I'm really really broke, so I don't want to invest in more powerful computers or fancy programs unless they're open-source/free-ware. Just something that uses VST instruments and saves a loop as a sound file rather than recording it live. Does such a thing exist?

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Figured I'd post this here as well... some chill electro for you guys to enjoy. Let me know what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/acrodamus/simply-complex

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
edit: Chill as gently caress, bro ^^^^

Gonna cross-post this here as well. French House, my first song made in Ableton. Share your thoughts with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zznr0JG3zQ

Gibberish fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 28, 2011

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mezzir posted:

:siren:GOON COLLAB:siren:

Myself and dear old Quincy Smallvoice just put out a promo track, located :woop:HERE:woop:. It's free and it's totally awesome, listen/download/tell your mother about it/tell your mother to tell her boyfriend about it/tell her boyfriend to stop asking you to call him dad.

Or you know, any one or two of those would be fine too.

The project folder for our collabs has over 10gb of audio so there is probably more to come from this. Dropbox and facebook - how very 21st century!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

WierdFishes posted:

Stupid newbie here, with a lame question. Are there any free programs [broke-rear end university student] that use VST instruments that don't record the song "live" during playback? I'm on a netbook and the program I'm using [Darkwave Studio] appears to only record "live", but the song skips during playback occaisionally, effectively ruining any chance of recording what I've made. This is just a little hobby of mine, plus I'm really really broke, so I don't want to invest in more powerful computers or fancy programs unless they're open-source/free-ware. Just something that uses VST instruments and saves a loop as a sound file rather than recording it live. Does such a thing exist?

You can export/render/mixdown your whole song to a WAV or similar which doesn't have to be done in real-time, so that version won't skip. That's how you usually make the final version of your track rather than "recording" it while you play, unless you're jamming a live version or something. Also you DAW may let you "freeze" a channel which means doing basically the same thing but just for that one channel, i.e. it will be converted to an audio track in your project rather than MIDI + VSTS. This makes life easier on your computer CPU/memory wise but means you can't make further changes to notation etc without repeating this process.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

That Wicked Walrus posted:

I really like it. A wide variety of stuff, but, it's made very well.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
My keyboard, an M-Audio Axiom 49 (1st gen), recently gave out and I've been looking around for a proper replacement. The Axiom Pro looks like a pretty strong contender, but I've had less than stellar experiences with M-Audio customer service and would love a second option. Anyone care to help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

moonduck posted:

My keyboard, an M-Audio Axiom 49 (1st gen), recently gave out and I've been looking around for a proper replacement. The Axiom Pro looks like a pretty strong contender, but I've had less than stellar experiences with M-Audio customer service and would love a second option. Anyone care to help me out?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NOV49SLMK2
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKAMPK49

Same price range, same features, better build quality.

• Locked thread