Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelly posted:

So he is cutting out two shows - the extra 4 hours a week and an entire day.

I just read on MSNBC that this latest contract was for $400 million. Could that be true?

20% of the show is gone, so far, therefore 20% pay cut. Makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
It doesn't make sense to me as a fan. Truthfully, I don't care what he gets paid - I would just like to see five days of original Howard-centric programming.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelly posted:

It doesn't make sense to me as a fan. Truthfully, I don't care what he gets paid - I would just like to see five days of original Howard-centric programming.

I agree with that. Now with Bubba gone, my afternoons are just blah. When he goes to 3 day weeks, I'm pulling the plug for real. No more bullshit. Not taking a deal.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I agree with that. Now with Bubba gone, my afternoons are just blah. When he goes to 3 day weeks, I'm pulling the plug for real. No more bullshit. Not taking a deal.

I cancelled after Artie left for good. If Artie had never left I would probably still be a subscriber even with this 3 day a week bullshit.

To me, the quality of the show is more important than the quantity.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FogHelmut posted:

A couple pages ago someone said Bubba's new RadioIO gimmick is just a long infomercial. Anyone actually subscribe to it and care to elaborate?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Joe Don Baker posted:

A couple pages ago someone said Bubba's new RadioIO gimmick is just a long infomercial. Anyone actually subscribe to it and care to elaborate?

I dont subscribe, but I listen to the uncensored show. I wouldnt go as far as to call it an infomercial, but its heavy with the Chicken Dip, Scene night club, and radioIO subscriber talk.
Recently he has been talking a lot more about local Florida stuff like all the cops being killed and the black militant community supporting the cop killers.

Dont get me wrong, its an entertaining show but honestly, I dont think I would pay per month to hear it. The only upside is that if you are really a huge Bubba fan and listened to him for years then you can access tons of old bits and songs and download them.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I dont subscribe, but I listen to the uncensored show.

Same, the Bubba one free station is on a rotation now of the morning show over and over with the the RadioIO ads. As you mentioned its a lot of self promotion but the freaking ads kill me.

It's the same cuts for the past 3 months with two gold coin ads per set. Rotate them or throw in some fake ads for Spankies or such.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Kelly posted:

I think all fans would like that but from what Howard has said since he signed his new contract - it was either reduce his hours or quit altogether. I'd rather have 3 days of original shows rather than none.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Has anyone read that Rolling Stone interview? Is it worth picking up? Can anyone summarize the main points or possibly link to it online somewhere if that's allowed?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

To me, the quality of the show is more important than the quantity.

Same here. The fact that Artie's chair is still empty (put ANYONE in there!) and all the ads (the breaks are over twice as long with the prank calls & song bumpers) really make it difficult for me to enjoy the show.

It's become mostly just been background noise for me at work for the past year and a half. If I didn't already have a lifetime membership, I would have either already canceled or be planning to soon.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Moniker posted:

Has anyone read that Rolling Stone interview? Is it worth picking up? Can anyone summarize the main points or possibly link to it online somewhere if that's allowed?

Honestly the only reason I was interested in it was for the small discussion about Artie and that is online to read. The rest of it seems to just be rehashed information that the average listener already knows.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

Even if it's a way to piss off Sirius, how does this really help Howard? I can't imagine the show is bringing in new listeners nowadays since it's mostly commercials. He'll always have a steadfast group of fans, but how many new fans is he going to get by airing this poo poo?

That said, I remember when Howard announced his re-signing that he turned down two to three offers from terrestrial radio. I'm not sure if terrestrial radio would take him back with the show we have now. I can't see anybody spending that much money for a radio show that really isn't a show anymore.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Even if it's a way to piss off Sirius, how does this really help Howard? I can't imagine the show is bringing in new listeners nowadays since it's mostly commercials. He'll always have a steadfast group of fans, but how many new fans is he going to get by airing this poo poo?

That said, I remember when Howard announced his re-signing that he turned down two to three offers from terrestrial radio. I'm not sure if terrestrial radio would take him back with the show we have now. I can't see anybody spending that much money for a radio show that really isn't a show anymore.

There have never been more commercials than the last few years of terrestrial radio. It was a solid 40% commercials.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FogHelmut posted:

There have never been more commercials than the last few years of terrestrial radio. It was a solid 40% commercials.

I have a feeling that's a Sirius thing and really, it follows the model of modern talk radio. All they are missing is a news read at the top of the hour.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I might cancel the best of Sirius and the Internet. I still like having XM in the car with the navtraffic but I definitely don't need Howard if he's barely going to be on.

I liked how he said his move to 3 days a week was way down the road like.....a couple months from now. How is that a long period of time when you're working a 5 year contract rear end in a top hat?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
What the gently caress is with Victoria Jackson? Is there really a new disease that you can get from Oral? Or is this just somethnig she's making up to try and discourage "dem dam kweers from beeing kweer"?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Who the gently caress knew Victoria Jackson was even still alive?

Does anyone know if there's any 2000-2005 compilation packs? I don't know how many people recorded the show prior to Sirius, but the recordings I made since he started there have been extremely great to listen to and they'll definitely come in handy when he quits doing full time work. The show is/has been similar enough every day that you never really feel like you're listening to repeats, but then a classic bit comes up in the course of business and you can relive it again.

If anyone has managed to save the pre-sirius shows, I think you could feasibly listen to every single show of the Artie era (or post-divorce, maybe) and that would keep you pretty entertained for the next decade, even without Live Howard.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Bababooey Alexa is something else.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Does anyone know if there's any 2000-2005 compilation packs? I don't know how many people recorded the show prior to Sirius, but the recordings I made since he started there have been extremely great to listen to and they'll definitely come in handy when he quits doing full time work. The show is/has been similar enough every day that you never really feel like you're listening to repeats, but then a classic bit comes up in the course of business and you can relive it again.

If anyone has managed to save the pre-sirius shows, I think you could feasibly listen to every single show of the Artie era (or post-divorce, maybe) and that would keep you pretty entertained for the next decade, even without Live Howard.

Every single show from 1994 on is very easily found online. Before 94 is pretty spotty at best. If you want the best quality era of shows hit up 94-95. Everyone is on fire, you have Billy West through most of it and there isn't really many bad shows in the entire run.

John Fütbol
May 18, 2003

FUCKING GOOOOOOOAL IN PHRAGMATICS FYAD CONTEST

Ether Frenzy posted:

I started listening in 2005, so I'd love to hear more Artie shows. I just finished re-listening to the first year of Sirius, and Artie was always the best part of everything.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Every single show from 1994 on is very easily found online. Before 94 is pretty spotty at best. If you want the best quality era of shows hit up 94-95. Everyone is on fire, you have Billy West through most of it and there isn't really many bad shows in the entire run.

Hm, I guess I hadn't looked. I started listening in either '93 or '94 so I would agree with you that those shows are great, but they don't feel like the modern product (which really hit its stride when Artie joined.)

Listening to the 2006 shows in order and it could easily be live, aside from Robin's news stories being about the GOP preventing gay marriage or wall street wrecking the economy or republicans having gay sex with methheads in public toilets... oh, never mind. Basically it's as good as live.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

I might cancel the best of Sirius and the Internet. I still like having XM in the car with the navtraffic but I definitely don't need Howard if he's barely going to be on.

I liked how he said his move to 3 days a week was way down the road like.....a couple months from now. How is that a long period of time when you're working a 5 year contract rear end in a top hat?

So it's going to start during the summer?

scapulataf posted:

What the gently caress is with Victoria Jackson? Is there really a new disease that you can get from Oral? Or is this just somethnig she's making up to try and discourage "dem dam kweers from beeing kweer"?

Yup.

She's a recurring article on Fark nowadays: ever since the Dubya days, Victoria has been making an rear end out of herself by trying to push the regressive agenda by making up some wacky poo poo. On top of that, she's done it so poorly that most of her writing is pretty much a joke. Imagine a retarded person reading only Glenn Beck and getting upset then add in some grammar/spelling errors. That's Victoria Jackson, 2011.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
I just realized that with the new schedule he's probably going to work a total of 48 hours in the months of July and August

oofah

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

WikiPedia posted:

In 2010 Jackson wrote in an article that she did not learn how to vote until the 2000 United States Presidential Election.

She currently maintains a personal website containing numerous postings highlighting her conservative political views.

She criticized Democrats during the 2008 general election campaign, particularly presidential nominee Senator Barack Obama and Minnesota U.S. senatorial candidate (and fellow SNL alumnus) Al Franken.

In October 2008, she appeared with other celebrities in a National Republican Senatorial Committee advertisement poking fun at Franken, then followed up with an interview on The O'Reilly Factor, where she called Obama a "communist." She has repeated the communism claim on multiple occasions.

When Obama won the election, she wrote on her blog: "Voters in our last election did not base their decision on facts or knowledge, but on hype, emotion, peer pressure, and racial fervor. It didn't help that the liberally biased media blocked Americans access to the truth" and she said Fox News is "the only one we should watch."

In 2011, Jackson wrote that she thought she was being spied on because of her conservative views.

Also

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bonzo posted:

Also

WAKE UP AMERICA

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

It probably doesn't help him at all. If he is no longer being compensated based on the subs that he brings in, then he has no incentive to work at it. And now with the lawsuit...it's even clearer he does not like it there. Since as we know: according to Howard a lawsuit is always personal.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

It probably doesn't help him at all. If he is no longer being compensated based on the subs that he brings in, then he has no incentive to work at it. And now with the lawsuit...it's even clearer he does not like it there. Since as we know: according to Howard a lawsuit is always personal.

Edit: poo poo, you answered my question. Never mind.

Why didn't the wig-wearing bastard retire then? That wouldn't have stopped a lawsuit.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Edit: poo poo, you answered my question. Never mind.

Why didn't the wig-wearing bastard retire then? That wouldn't have stopped a lawsuit.

That is a good question, actually.

In listening to Opie and Anthony, they told an interesting story. Awhile back, Opie tweeted a picture of the letter SiriusXM put up notices at the office about the place being sprayed for bed bugs. Opie's photo of the sign got picked up and it started being reported in the news.

I guess Opie got screamed at for making the company look bad. Now, anyone who listens to O&A knows that Opie is very sensitive and his stores about things around things like this need to be taken with a grain of salt. But, the point remains is that they spoke to him about that.

Can you imagine how they feel about Howard suing? Yikes.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The ads on the Stern show are nothing compared to regular radio talk shows. I listen to Finebaum in the afternoon on 122 sometimes and it is like *2 calls* 5 minute ad break *15 minutes of talk* 5 minute ad break. Segments never EVER exceed 20 minutes without a 5+ minute ad block breaking them up.

I really wish 101 had original stuff in the afternoon. Man I miss Bubba from a couple of years ago but if his show now is anything like his twitter feed (and it sounds like it is) I'd rather listen to silence. His twitter is like *20 retweets about some chicken dip* *Tizzy racing* *10 radioIO tweets*. It is worthless

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 24, 2011

daveslash
Jan 8, 2002

enemy light post spotted

Kelly posted:

In listening to Opie and Anthony, they told an interesting story. Awhile back, Opie tweeted a picture of the letter SiriusXM put up notices at the office about the place being sprayed for bed bugs. Opie's photo of the sign got picked up and it started being reported in the news.

I guess Opie got screamed at for making the company look bad. Now, anyone who listens to O&A knows that Opie is very sensitive and his stores about things around things like this need to be taken with a grain of salt. But, the point remains is that they spoke to him about that.
How does that even make SiriusXM look bad? There was (is?) an epidemic of bed bugs in NYC. A building in NYC was getting sprayed for bed bugs. It seems pretty much like a factual non-event I can't imagine why SiriusXM would say two words to Opie about it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

daveslash posted:

How does that even make SiriusXM look bad? There was (is?) an epidemic of bed bugs in NYC. A building in NYC was getting sprayed for bed bugs. It seems pretty much like a factual non-event I can't imagine why SiriusXM would say two words to Opie about it.

Exactly...and if they made a big deal about THAT I can't imagine how the lawsuit is going over.

Here is a copy of the lawsuit as filed:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/51320553/Stern-v-SiriusComplaint

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kelly posted:

Exactly...and if they made a big deal about THAT I can't imagine how the lawsuit is going over.

Point 62 on page 18 is pretty interesting. I think the fact that they didn't bring up the issue of lack of payments might become pretty damning in the courts. But I don't really know all that much about legal stuff in New York or in general really.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

daveslash posted:

Opie really should have told Sirius to go gently caress themselves. Too bad he's a thin skinned pussy.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

haha, Gary on the WUS:

"I've never slept with an intern!"

*someone points out that he has*

"She wasn't my intern!"

"I've never slept with a guest!"

*someone points out he's slept with lots of guests*

"Oh, I'm thinking of celebrity guests."

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
^^^^
that was hilarious.

I'm surprised they didn't totally start ripping into him over the fact that he has to be given something like 3x more Novocaine when he goes to the dentist.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Can you imagine working for the show? Anything you do - from how you walk to how you eat to the shirt you have on is open for criticism on the radio. I would sit at my desk and never get up for any reason.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr Hands Colon posted:

^^^^
that was hilarious.

I'm surprised they didn't totally start ripping into him over the fact that he has to be given something like 3x more Novocaine when he goes to the dentist.

He is 90% teeth so it kinda makes sense.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

That is a good question, actually.

Can you imagine how they feel about Howard suing? Yikes.

I imagine they already sent out instructions to the talent and other people telling everybody to keep a lid on it. They seem the type to batten down the hatches when it comes to saving face.

Kelly posted:

What's up with Page 8 at the bottom: Stern's company agreed only to do four days a week and air a best of show at the very beginning of the contract? That's very interesting.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
A good friend of mine, who's also a fan of Stern, is a lawyer in the same building and he said there were notices up all over about the spraying.

I don't blame Sirius from getting pissed, it's something that would scare guests off from appearing on shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Howard is saying to this Stussy guy everything he wants to say to his daughters.