Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Baldur's Gate combat was loving awesome. Need more 6 person party RPGs. 4 is not enough and any more makes it too rts-like to manage all the skills and stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Node posted:

I think the best wrpg combat ever was in The Temple of Elemental Evil. At least it was the best translation of d&d combat onto a computer.
Apart from the bugs, yeah, that game's combat was pretty much the best you'll ever find. Why did they stop putting turn based combat in rpg's? Aren't there still loads of games that are turn-based that are being played?

Talking about turnbased, I have a copy of incumbation lying at home that won't run on Windows 7 and I never played. I always loved how it looked and I was drooling over its screenshots in PC Gamer back when I was young. But is the game itself any good though? Is it worth grabbing it from GoG?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I thought Witcher had good combat, it's just that the game design was flawed by throwing tons of nearly harmless but annoyingly respawning enemies (barghests, drowners etc) at you while you went by your business. When it worked, as in fighting Salamandra or stronger enemies, it was fun.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

LiftAuff posted:

I just don't understand why people embrace the backwards trend in the monitor industry. Instead of growing the display size people embrace a shrinking of the viewable area. My current 4:3 CRT has better colors, viewing angle, response time, refresh rate, and larger resolution than my LCD.

Actually the widescreen monitors have a much larger viewable area when viewing movies and similar widescreen content - which is what most people use their monitors for, anyhow.

Widescreen is also very good for coding due to less line wrapping, and also Photoshop, CAD or similar application work, as toolbars will obstruct less of the actual workspace.

Colors, viewing angles, contrast and response time depend on the models of monitors and technology, while it's absolutely certain that any LCD will have better sharpness and be easier on the eyes than even the best CRTs.

There's really zero reason for anyone to get a 4:3 CRT any more than to get a new VHS VCR.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

pigdog posted:

There's really zero reason for anyone to get a 4:3 CRT any more than to get a new VHS VCR.

VHS is just a fad, Betamax forever.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Kill Whitey posted:

let's find examples!

The Witcher - boring, limited timing based combat with an excessive encounter rate in some areas

Mass Effect - clunky, knee high wall TPS gameplay

plus all the awesome RPG's with lovely real time combat like Morrowind and Risen

It's a greater challenge to find modern WRPG's that don't have lovely combat.

Alpha Protocol. I would argue it does a better job at letting you actually role-play than any other game. And it has pretty bad combat.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
It was actually the "sexy time" scenes that made me shelve The Witcher. I just can't take a game seriously when seemingly every attractive girl wants to bang your pale, scarred, personality-bereft protagonist. And don't even get me started on the "collectible" cards... :doh:

And yeah, the combat left a lot to be desired. But I really enjoyed the Mass Effect games, not to mention anything with Baldur's Gate-style party-based combat.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
If Demon's Souls is considered a WRPG it easily takes that title even though it wasn't released for PC. That game has fantastic combat.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Node posted:

I think the best wrpg combat ever was in The Temple of Elemental Evil. At least it was the best translation of d&d combat onto a computer.

It really was and I wish we could get a new DnD RPG that used it. I dislike the pseudo real time combat of NWN2 etc.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It was actually the "sexy time" scenes that made me shelve The Witcher. I just can't take a game seriously when seemingly every attractive girl wants to bang your pale, scarred, personality-bereft protagonist. And don't even get me started on the "collectible" cards... :doh:

It's sophomoric but I think they felt compelled to do it because the books are like that. It's skippable either way with no real loss of content.

Industrial posted:

If Demon's Souls is considered a WRPG it easily takes that title even though it wasn't released for PC. That game has fantastic combat.

It's also not Western.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Every one of you will probably cuss me out of the thread for this, but WoW's combat is a loving blast. I love the combat system in that game and from what I have seen, just about every other single player "swords and magic" style game would improve if it used it.

I'm not talking about the grinding or the timesink-ness or the balance issues, I'm talking about how combat works and how it feels to fight things in that game. Every fight is like a tiny little chess game. You have your offensive and defensive moves, and so does your enemy. While you work to combine your best offensive abilities so that they work together and do the most damage (like placing a damage-over-time ability or two on your enemy, then starting on the direct damage abilities while the DoTs tick away), you also have to watch what your enemy does so you can counter that or defend against it the best you can.

I don't care what you say, to me, even though I stopped playing the game over a year ago, World of Warcraft has one of the best combat systems I've ever seen in any western RPG.

edit: Industrial is right, Demon's Souls combat takes the cake for having the most engaging and visceral RPG combat though. But WoW's combat is more strategic fun than edge-of-your-seat-action fun like Demon's Souls, and is just as entertaining to me, if in a different way.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 23, 2011

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

No I agree, instances are fun (Never did raids). Lot of the bosses requires strategy and remaining aware of your surroundings. It's just gathering a competent group that's hard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dragon Age/Baldur's gate comes as close to wow style party combat done in singleplayer form as it gets.

Dawn of War 2 has the cool "evade, dodge, gimmick" stuff like WoW bosses have.

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Speaking of Dragon Age, did they ever release a playable demo for the PC? (Yeah, I'm way behind on my PC RPGs.) I haven't found anything online beyond mentions of demos done at various conventions. My PC's a few years old and it would be nice to see how well it would run before I spend any money.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Khurath posted:

Speaking of Dragon Age, did they ever release a playable demo for the PC? (Yeah, I'm way behind on my PC RPGs.) I haven't found anything online beyond mentions of demos done at various conventions. My PC's a few years old and it would be nice to see how well it would run before I spend any money.

It'll run fine- I had an old rear end setup on my old pc, single core processor, oooold graphics card (I can't remember what it was. It was good 5 years ago when I got it.) and 512mb ram. It seems very scalable. Give it a shot!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I've never actually played it, but that was explained either here or on another forum as "Everyone else has horrible diseases and blight except you! Who wouldn't want to bang you?"

It was exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've never actually played it, but that was explained either here or on another forum as "Everyone else has horrible diseases and blight except you! Who wouldn't want to bang you?"

It's because Witchers are sterile and immune to disease.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

bbcisdabomb posted:

It was more like Witchers are sterile and disease free as a part of imbibing mutagens, so they are uh, perfect for whoring around with and whatnot. I'm sure it goes into better details in the book, but the way the game handled it was a bit more... contrived. I'm pretty sure that'll be a lot better in the sequel tho, not that it was much of an issue in the original to begin with as it was all 100% optional.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bats posted:

It was more like Witchers are sterile and disease free as a part of imbibing mutagens, so they are uh, perfect for whoring around with and whatnot. I'm sure it goes into better details in the book, but the way the game handled it was a bit more... contrived. I'm pretty sure that'll be a lot better in the sequel tho, not that it was much of an issue in the original to begin with as it was all 100% optional.

Naw that's about the extent that the books handle it, Geralt is a bit of a man whore. Though the books plays up the drama that they can never have families a lot more, to a point it can get melodramatic.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw that's about the extent that the books handle it, Geralt is a bit of a man whore. Though the books plays up the drama that they can never have families a lot more, to a point it can get melodramatic.

Man, after watching a poo poo ton of Highlander and playing the Witcher, I'm also of the perspective presented there. If I had the same immunity/sterility I'd be whoring about too, most guys in that position would, and if you wouldn't, you are either a liar or somehow somewhere along the way your genetic structure somehow, miraculously and beyond comprehension happens to be completely different from every other human male in the history of the world, because we're all designed to be goddamn manwhores (societal constraints aside).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I try to take it more as "you can play Geralt as an rear end in a top hat womanizer if you want" than an endorsement of it. It's kind of a stretch, but every once in a while it does come back to bite him and the game certainly gives you the option of making him an rear end in a top hat in every other sense of the word.

The collectible card thing really is inexcusable, though, hopefully they'll cut that completely for the sequel.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

quote:

This scene set up the game's overhauled romance gameplay, which will be completely different from that of the previous game. In fact, the previous game's romance system, which rewarded you with collectible girlie cards for every woman you came to know intimately, has been scrapped. Instead, throughout The Witcher 2, Geralt can pursue relationships with various female characters through dialogue options and the occasional gift to unlock an ongoing cinematic sequence. In this case, with the two adventurers trapped in a buried elven ruin, Triss started a conversation by asking what should be done next--whether the pair should try to escape or wait to be found by their companions. Naturally, Geralt chose the option to wait.

Yeaaaaah... The thing about The Witcher series is that whoring around is kinda a part of it. So expect a bit of that in all the games.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004
Geralt is also sterile, so for the women in the game he's an ideal one-night stand - he's handsome and athletic, can't get you pregnant, and because of his immunity he won't give you any diseases either.

I can see why in that fantasy world women would go for a Witcher, and why it makes sense in the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Every one of you will probably cuss me out of the thread for this, but WoW's combat is a loving blast.

I'll have to disagree here. For me, WoW's combat ended up being really quite boring because at the end of the day you are just endlessly repeating a certain sequence of abilities. Only occasionally you are actively using a certain ability to counter an enemy's attack. In group combat it's similar, only now you have to stare at lifebars like a hawk to be ready to punch a certain combination immediately. Perhaps they have improved it by now, but it felt like that back when I played as a Rogue and Priest (stopped quite some time before the first expansion hit).
Really, it felt like my character was just sort of standing around there while I punched in combinations. I probably could have written a non-interactive script that inputs the commands for the abilities and would not have fared much worse during combat, at least for the rogue. It never really felt like my character was fighting with an enemy but rather that all combatants are just fighting "past" each other and the damage is abstractly transferred between them, if that makes sense.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The collectible card thing really is inexcusable, though, hopefully they'll cut that completely for the sequel.

The sex cards themselves are cut, but you're still gonna have the option to be a huge whore.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I'll have to disagree here. For me, WoW's combat ended up being really quite boring because at the end of the day you are just endlessly repeating a certain sequence of abilities. Only occasionally you are actively using a certain ability to counter an enemy's attack. In group combat it's similar, only now you have to stare at lifebars like a hawk to be ready to punch a certain combination immediately. Perhaps they have improved it by now, but it felt like that back when I played as a Rogue and Priest (stopped quite some time before the first expansion hit).
Really, it felt like my character was just sort of standing around there while I punched in combinations. I probably could have written a non-interactive script that inputs the commands for the abilities and would not have fared much worse during combat, at least for the rogue. It never really felt like my character was fighting with an enemy but rather that all combatants are just fighting "past" each other and the damage is abstractly transferred between them, if that makes sense.

I agree with everything you said here.

GreatGreen: If you want to see/try an MMO with combat that actually is "a blast" and is engaging and requires you to be active - not just using the same sequence of buttons on every enemy then you should take a gander at Vanguard.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

GreatGreen posted:

Every one of you will probably cuss me out of the thread for this, but WoW's combat is a loving blast. I love the combat system in that game and from what I have seen, just about every other single player "swords and magic" style game would improve if it used it.

I completely agree and I've been saying this to my friends for ages. They always give me a big :stare:

The combat in WoW is easily the best I've ever experienced in an MMO and definitely top 5 if we're taking all RPG genres into account. Everything about the combat just feels so in-sync. There's nothing more fun than having a special ability that you put talent points into proc in combat allowing you to do cool poo poo.

Seriously, I wish every RPG just copied WoW combat.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

For me, thus far I feel like Rift has refined the combat in WoW and tweaked it up to another level. I did have fun with the combat in WoW, but I'm having a blast with the one in Rift, it works better I think.

The biggest problem I have with either of these games is that you are intangible to other players, if a mob wants to get to you, there's nothing stopping him.

See I started playing MMOs with Asheron's Call, where everyone was actually solid, so you literally could have a melee wall to protect your archers and mages. This added a TON to the combat, because then you could literally create a choke point in a narrow corridor and use it to your advantage and if a mob wanted to get to you, he had to kill the guy in front of you to even reach you (for melee combat). I detest that other MMOs blatantly ignore stuff like that, because then you are stuck in a position of having to 'hold aggro', and 'manage threat' etc.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
edit: never mind. I really don't care

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Did anyone play Everquest2? The combat was pretty similar to WoW except you had like 40 buttons to mash and skills automatically queued if there was a spell casting. It was pretty cool.

With that said, it started getting ridiculous after SOE decided to not even try to balance around PVP. Remember when Blizzard redid all the crit% calculations before TBC? Yeah, EQ2 didn't do that, so you had assassins (like Rogues) with enormous amounts of crit% and A Thing called Double-Attacks. Then you had ridiculous weapons like this http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Fang_of_Ichor_%28Mythical%29

Imagine instead of getting stunlocked by a rogue while he backstabs you; they unstealth and cast 30 instantcast spells on you, while autoattacking you with crits and doubleattacks. (Oh and if you run they have a bow attack called Head Shot that does a shitload of damage from behind).

Especially the class I played had like 2-3 second cast times so you're dead before you can even cast your shield.

Some of the coolest/weirdest things about that game are the items. As you can see the proc system is really detailed, a lot of weapons tooltips had scrollbars because the skills and attributes attached to it were so long they didn't fit on the screen.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 23, 2011

Tufty
May 21, 2006

What's with the sudden influx of people saying The Things like "A Thing", "A Bad Thing", "Thing to Do"? I've seen it a few times in this thread and even more elsewhere on the forums. It looks dumb and makes you look dumb, why do people do That Thing?

Edit: VVVV Darkhand, I seriously want to know. Do you know where it's from?

Tufty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 23, 2011

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I have no idea what you are talking about.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Tufty posted:

What's with the sudden influx of people saying The Things like "A Thing", "A Bad Thing", "Thing to Do"? I've seen it a few times in this thread and even more elsewhere on the forums. It looks dumb and makes you look dumb, why do people do That Thing?
Goodluck with your aspergers.

But really, I use it because it is a thing, but it's a thing that is important. A Big Thing. I didn't think it was from anything except other people on these forums.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2011

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Does anyone have experience hooking their PS3 controller to a Win7 machine play games on the PC? I traded in Batman a while ago, but with the Steam sale, I'd like to repurchase it. I can't imagine playing it on a keyboard. I googled ps3 controller on pc, but it gave me a bunch of random software. I'd hate to install shady software ti play it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

There's a few softwares out there, but yeah they are shady and they do a lot of hacky stuff to work around driver signing. I tried a few and couldn't get either USB or bluetooth to recognize it, so I have a 360 controller now.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Siroc posted:

Does anyone have experience hooking their PS3 controller to a Win7 machine play games on the PC? I traded in Batman a while ago, but with the Steam sale, I'd like to repurchase it. I can't imagine playing it on a keyboard. I googled ps3 controller on pc, but it gave me a bunch of random software. I'd hate to install shady software ti play it.

You could see if xpadder works with the ps3 controller. Works perfectly with the 360 controller and has a bunch of different controller images you can use in lieu of a 360 controller.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

I played Batman with keyboard and mouse and had no issues with it. Your mileage may vary.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

darkhand posted:

There's a few softwares out there, but yeah they are shady and they do a lot of hacky stuff to work around driver signing. I tried a few and couldn't get either USB or bluetooth to recognize it, so I have a 360 controller now.

According to my first google search: http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-playstation-3-controller-64-bit-windows-7-vista/

quote:

Update! November 2, 2010: The latest version of the PS3 USB driver is digitally signed! That means you no longer have to disable signature enforcement, or anything like that.

So it sounds like relatively recently it has gotten better? I don't know, havent tried it, but I might because I like the dual shock better than the 360 controller (small hands).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Tufty posted:

I seriously want to know. Do you know where it's from?
Usenet? It's really old.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's also not Western.

If I saw a gameplay video of Demon's Souls before I knew anything about it I would have assumed its a PC game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Node posted:

If I saw a gameplay video of Demon's Souls before I knew anything about it I would have assumed its a PC game.

My dream is that with Steam and Sony coming closer together some PS3 games might get ported to the PC. Specifically Demon's Souls. Its not going to happen but drat I wish it would.

• Locked thread