Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Tarquinn posted:

Hey, fellow Com Guard buddies! :hfive:

We'll play Comguard. Hell, if it's an option, I'll be voting for the Comguard for the next battle. I just think it's a better idea to show everyone a straight up Tech-1 vs. Clan Omnimech bloodbath before we start letting ourselves have the cool toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm not sure we should really do 2nd Donegal for two reasons;

1. We'll be fighting Steel Vipers. Like PTN has described them they might just choose to ignore zellbrigen.

2. We might make Ceasar Steiner look bad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

70_year_old_Natasha_Kerensky_dressed_like_hooker.jpg

Battletech art is trash, most of the time. :v:

Indeed. There was a reason I left that out when I wrote that article. (Come to think of it, I need to update that for info about 3039...)

Character art that isn't absolutely awful is pretty new. I would say it has only started appearing in the past few years.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

an oddly awful oud posted:

called the Dire Wolf a JumpShip instead of a WarShip, unless that's somehow intentional and they're all sitting on the command deck of a Star Lord.

A WarShip is still a JumpShip, and I'm using the language of the Blood of Kerensky trilogy. It was always referred to as a JumpShip. So yes, this is intentional. The Djerassi / Derjassi thing was just a typo on my part; I didn't notice and then went on automatic every time I typed his name.

Vote 2 is really conclusive, the special vote is not--it could still go any way, so I'm going to leave it open for a bit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2011

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So...I just watched the first ep of the battletech cartoon on youtube.

:wtc:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Affi posted:

So i've got another Clan question, so in this alternate universe there are only two warder clans right? Blood Spirits and Goliath Scorpion. And the only dead clans are Wolf and Wolverine right? So what happens when the Inner Sphere stops these four clans? Will the remaining 13 invade? That'd be hilariously bad at a 2025 techlevel.

Not really, because in 2025 we'll have cruise missiles and vehicles armed with weapons with an effective range of 25-500x that of clan battlemechs, so I think they'll do alright. 3025 tech levels would get squashed, on the other hand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Not really, because in 2025 we'll have cruise missiles and vehicles armed with weapons with an effective range of 25-500x that of clan battlemechs, so I think they'll do alright. 3025 tech levels would get squashed, on the other hand.

Well, TPTB have come out and said "modern non-nuclear weapons do negligible damage against 31st century armor," due to the fact that spergy fucks sperge over "Could an M1 Abrams beat a BattleMech?" and then it comes down to determining damage taken from falling and converting that in to joules and then figuring out how many joules one point of armor absorbs and... gently caress.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, TPTB have come out and said "modern non-nuclear weapons do negligible damage against 31st century armor," due to the fact that spergy fucks sperge over "Could an M1 Abrams beat a BattleMech?" and then it comes down to determining damage taken from falling and converting that in to joules and then figuring out how many joules one point of armor absorbs and... gently caress.

I've always wondered why people like that are playing Battletech instead of Microarmor; a game that let's the grognards play math games with muzzle velocities and shell penetration vs. mm of frontal, sloped armor.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The armour comes off like an onion even to machinegun fire so I think they have a point :allears:

*It also makes battletech more orky, which is a good thing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Let's not start this derail again.

I am also very sad that you guys have thrown away the chance at piloting an awesome Jagermech. I hope you enjoy watching a 35t Wolfhound get obliterated when it draws the ire of a Nova :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Oh jesus christ please lets not bring this up again. Your tiny miniatures are covered in super special paint armor that needs super special paint weapons to damage.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

After seeing the amazing things Lil' Sure Shot got up to, SA: Power Rangers is the only option. Nothing compares to the AC2's capacity to reach out and touch someone (lightly on the shoulder).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Let's not start this derail again.

I am also very sad that you guys have thrown away the chance at piloting an awesome Jagermech. I hope you enjoy watching a 35t Wolfhound get obliterated when it draws the ire of a Nova :colbert:

A JagerMech is actually easier to destroy than a Wolfhound. By a lot.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, Mechwarrior 3050 for the SNES is nearly identical; but I'd have to see it in action to judge. The controls on the Sega version are atrocious (if you start shooting while moving, you'll continue moving in that direction PERIOD).

You do get bonus points if you use the SNES version's expanded cheat library to run the first mission in a WASP.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm unable to resist the basic concept of these "bonus points".

Snes Mechwarrior 3050 Level 1 in a Wasp It has sound, too. Perhaps sadly, I also decided to give it some of my sound, however I did manage to preserve some of the weapon selection voice samples! Arrow 6! I dunno, maybe this was a mistake.

As soon as you talked about the way 2 player worked in the game, I knew what I had to try. After giving it a whirl, I think that this game is, in fact, fantastic. It's just a little bit beyond the ability of the original controllers. Perhaps the experience is a little less authentic, but you might have a better time playing the game setting up some controls so you can play 2 player on your own. Either way, can't wait to see the rest of the game.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Voting for SB since the Banshee takes Justice Foot to a new level.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Actually, my Clan forces are already set up and will remain unchanged no matter what gets picked.

Also, for reference, this is a
Rommel Tank:
<SNIP>
Armament:
Autocannon/20 – Turret (Ammo: 20, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 5 – Turret (Ammo: 24, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Small Laser – Front (Range: (L:3 M:2 S:1), Status: OK!)
It has a Flamer too :colbert:

Lilac posted:

That black knight thing just pisses me off every time i look at it.
Are you looking at the Mechwarrior 4 Black Knight or the real Black Knight?

Funnily enough, the only stated energy value for a weapon is the nukes. They don't do that much damage to mechs....

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

A JagerMech is actually easier to destroy than a Wolfhound. By a lot.

Not if the JagerMech cowardly strategically places itself far away from the main battle where it's pathetic mighty AC/2's can fire away with impunity. Not even the clans can stand against such a barrage forever.

Who needs armor when you have such firepower at your disposal?

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 23, 2011

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KnoxZone posted:

Not if the JagerMech cowardly strategically places itself far away from the main battle where it's pathetic mighty AC/2's can fire away with impunity. Not even the clans can stand against such a barrage forever.

All the JagerMech pilot needs to do is situate himself slightly behind the dildostalker. AC/2s out-range LRMs/L-lasers and the dildostalker is much more dangerous at close range. It's like we've been gifted the perfect fire support combo!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Armor, higher TMMs, and no ammo. All irrelevant.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mastigophoran posted:

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm unable to resist the basic concept of these "bonus points".

Well done! I wasn't expecting anyone to attempt that. You get 3 votes as well, either for our current vote or a future one! Alternatively, in the upcoming mission, you can choose to improve the piloting and gunnery of one 'Mech (friendly or enemy) by one, due to them having a better control scheme.

higher TMMs

Clan Large Pulse Lasers :colbert:

Arquinsiel posted:

It has a Flamer too :colbert:

No it does not. The Patton does, and since they're the same tank (same chassis, same armor, different armament) it's easy to confuse them.

VVVV Why would you expect the Clans to loose?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 23, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So i've got another Clan question, so in this alternate universe there are only two warder clans right? Blood Spirits and Goliath Scorpion. And the only dead clans are Wolf and Wolverine right? So what happens when the Inner Sphere stops these four clans? Will the remaining 13 invade? That'd be hilariously bad at a 3025 techlevel.

Reposting my loving post because you people didn't realize I meant 3025. (3032?)

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

SB to give our mech goonwarriors a fighting chance to fall before the man made thunder that is the Clan PPC and the unholy terror of a REDACTED

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Clan Large Pulse Lasers :colbert:

True, but it reduces a 6 to a 4 as easily as a 10 to an 8.

quote:

So i've got another Clan question, so in this alternate universe there are only two warder clans right? Blood Spirits and Goliath Scorpion. And the only dead clans are Wolf and Wolverine right? So what happens when the Inner Sphere stops these four clans? Will the remaining 13 invade? That'd be hilariously bad at a 3025 techlevel.

I think that depends on how successful the existing Invaders are and if the backup Clans get territories of their own. The Clan Homeworlds are mostly shitholes and your average IS world is a goddamn paradise compared to it. In the regular timeline, the other Clans didn't invade because the Invading Clans each ended up with an OZ that had about as many or more worlds than the entire Kerensky Cluster, and so they actively oppose including new Clans in to an invasion, because they want to keep the massive advantage in resources to themselves.

Also keep in mind that the Clan system of voting doesn't actually set policy, it just sets the ratio of forces that the people fighting over it have to face. In an 8:10 decision in favor of expanding the invasion, that just means Natasha Kerensky has to kill a Star with only four mechs.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

that just means Natasha Kerensky has to kill a Star with only four mechs.

AKA "A light stroll before breakfast"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVVV Why would you expect the Clans to loose?

Well, goons will probably mostly play to oppose the clans and we always win :smug:

Other then that;

1. Warm bodies
2. Justin
3. Hanse
4. Phelan Kell
5. Yorinaga

And lots of ComStar mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

4. Phelan Kell

No Dragoons? No Phelan.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

AKA "A light stroll before breakfast"

With a Mint Julep in one hand and a pistol in the other.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

PoptartsNinja posted:

No Dragoons? No Phelan.

Isn't he a Kell Hound?

edit; nope.'

edit2; Ok anyway Morgan and Patrick then, phantom mechs and all.

Affi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

Isn't he a Kell Hound?

Either Morgan's firing blanks, or Salome is barren. He was an invetro fertilization created by the Wolf's Dragoons since they were the only ones with the technology to do so.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

No Dragoons? No Phelan.

That's cool. All of the Marty Sues in this universe would start bumping into each other too often if you kept them all around, and I always thought that Jamie Wolf's grand training conference ended up with everyone being way more friendly than they ought to have been anyway.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Affi posted:

Isn't he a Kell Hound?

edit; nope.

More to the point, even were he alive he'd be 1 year old. :shepface:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

I keep forgetting that it's 3025, not 3050.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I keep forgetting that it's 3025, not 3050.

...I hate to be this guy, but it's 3032. :shobon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Either Morgan's firing blanks, or Salome is barren. He was an invetro fertilization created by the Wolf's Dragoons since they were the only ones with the technology to do so.

Well, we know Morgan doesn't shoot blanks; that's proven by his first child, Megan. Either way, doesn't matter, since Phelan is just a shittier version of his dad, who is still in his prime right now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mukaikubo posted:

A tiny, PowerWheels-esque Mad Cat would kick so much rear end.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

A tiny, PowerWheels-esque Mad Cat would kick so much rear end.

That it would.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alternatively, in the upcoming mission, you can choose to improve the piloting and gunnery of one 'Mech (friendly or enemy) by one, due to them having a better control scheme.
Oooh oooh, I want this one! :3:

Not wanting to give you any fiendish ideas, but do I actually get to pick which 'Mech gets a "dual control stick" upgrade, or is it going to be random. If the former, I figure I'm to wait for round 1 to begin and pick which lucky 'Mech I wish to trick out? Either way, I don't really know anything about BattleTech lore outside of the MW games (other than it is delicious), alternative history or not, so, the voting isn't really my shtick. However, this boon sounds awesome.

I'm not sure a pair of 1s off the rolls will make all that much of a difference, all things considered, but you never know. Oh, the weight of responsibility...

Audience participation is awesome. I can't wait.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You get to pick, although if you want to pick a clanner it'll be a little more difficult since they're all unknowns.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Mastigophoran posted:

Oooh oooh, I want this one! :3:

Not wanting to give you any fiendish ideas, but do I actually get to pick which 'Mech gets a "dual control stick" upgrade, or is it going to be random. If the former, I figure I'm to wait for round 1 to begin and pick which lucky 'Mech I wish to trick out? Either way, I don't really know anything about BattleTech lore outside of the MW games (other than it is delicious), alternative history or not, so, the voting isn't really my shtick. However, this boon sounds awesome.

I'm not sure a pair of 1s off the rolls will make all that much of a difference, all things considered, but you never know. Oh, the weight of responsibility...

Audience participation is awesome. I can't wait.

Give it to the least Mary-Sue pilot on the table. We need our own heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are you kidding me?!

In Vitro fertilization is goddamned LosTech?!

:argh:

• Locked thread