Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
The Macbeth curse is the most irritating example of confirmation bias that will ever exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I am a rational man who understands the historical tradition behind The Curse and why it's bullshit; I also take it very seriously, so much so I don't even like saying the name when I'm nowhere near a theatre. A large part of it is a respect for a theatre tradition and part of it is that, although I understand the distinction between causality and coincidence, I've seen some weird stuff happen and honestly, it can't hurt to stay on the safe side.

All that said, I'm reminded of a common refrain from the second series of Slings and Arrows (a show that everyone in this thread should see); Macbeth is "very difficult to stage effectively." It's an amazing play and the pay-off can be so great but boy, it's got to be a motherfucker to wrangle even when everything goes well.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

I never say it out loud, because I reason that those who believe it will then use their confirmation bias to blame any sort of weird poo poo on The Curse and then blame The Curse on me. Also, I don't want people's minds stuck on The Curse and not on the show.

However, I once told some of my fellow cast members after a strike that I had been going to a private place in the theater and yelling "Macbeth!" at least once every single day during rehearsals and the run. It blew their loving minds that I had done so much to attract The Curse and nothing happened.

The kicker? I never did go off by myself to yell Macbeth. It's all in their minds now. :rolleyes:

...Come to think of it, I probably did nothing to help dispel the superstition because of my antics. But, it was all for my own amusement anyways, so whatever.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

The appeal of The Curse to me really is a matter of tradition. I first learned of it when I was 11 or 12 and it was a great moment of entering the contiuum of theatre history for me; I'd been doing theatre at the professional level since I was eight, and that moment felt like I was really part of the club. I'm not a superstitous person (inasmuch as any Cubs fan theatre person can be said to be absent such), I know it's bullshit; I know the likely origin on The Curse, its mundane roots. I even have a theory about each step in the Curse-reversal act (at least the version I learned). It's tradition and that's what I like about it, it puts us as a part of something greater and older; it's sort of our secret handshake I guess.

I'm not superstitious, I'm sentimental.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
From my (admittedly limited) experience, everything goes wrong that possibly can with every production anyway. I don't remember the last time someone discussed Macbeth during one of the shows I've been involved with, but I also don't remember the last time something went smoothly.

I'll second the "not superstitious, but sentimental" idea, though. I'm also an rear end in a top hat who says "good luck" sometimes, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I just forbid my actors from being married. If they want to get married and work for me, they can do it the old fashioned way; give me a show with a marriage contract signing scene, and do it during dress.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
Here is a shot from my university production of Macbeth that I did the lighting design for. We didn't have to worry about the curse because the set was dangerous enough on its own.

The cauldron is in the center in this picture and the set was made of individual platforms with cracks in between to represent the cracked earth.

It looked really cool and we had tracks in between the upstage cracks to recycle water back into the cauldron, but the open downstage cracks were perfect for accident prone actors.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
rantmo I'm going to your next show now and watching the Ian McKellan/Judi Dench Macbeth on my iPod with portable speakers, just to spite you.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Back off monkey, I got all sorts of connections at your current theatre and I will rain vengeance upon you. Or, like, I'll have Josh make fun of you or something. Also, that Macbeth sounds amazing, it's available on film you say?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
It's what put him and Judi Dench and to some extent Trevor Nunn on the map.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well that's going on my list and would make a nice companion to McKellan's Richard III. Ian McKellan is Shakespeare's Utter Bastards.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I saw him do King Lear at Stratford

It was incredible, best Shakespeare I've ever seen in my life

also he has an enormous penis

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I finished the first draft of my latest play, Who By Drowning, Who By Stoning: A Comedy .

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ADNNLAA0

I can't say I'm happy with it yet; it starts off pretty funny, but I wanted to make it something else. Now I have two halves and I wonder if they're less than one whole. Still, it's very well researched; I put a lot more time into this per-line than any of my previous works at this stage.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One thing I've been kind of wondering about that perhaps some of you could shed some light on is based on my situation here.

I'm an acting minor. Honestly, I don't have any interest in making acting a full-time job. I think theater is neat and like to go do whatever at the community theater. I've done lead roles, support roles, ensemble, tech, set building, pit...whatever, really. I enjoy it, but as for doing it for a living? No thanks. I'd take a role in a professional show every now and again to get away from a day job if they were offered, but I'd be the type to take long breaks and be unwilling to jump in that show 3,000 miles away for $200. I have no dreams of becoming an A-list actor because I'd like to be able to disappear into a crowd still.

What I was wondering is if the theater world has folks that only act professionally occasionally or do it as a kind of part-time thing. I'll run through my acting classes and do whatever in amateur theater wherever I go to be sure, I was just wondering about anything that might happen somewhere between amateur and pro. Is that common? Does it happen at all? Is there anything one can actually DO with an acting minor?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I was wondering is if the theater world has folks that only act professionally occasionally or do it as a kind of part-time thing. I'll run through my acting classes and do whatever in amateur theater wherever I go to be sure, I was just wondering about anything that might happen somewhere between amateur and pro. Is that common? Does it happen at all? Is there anything one can actually DO with an acting minor?

What you're referring to is a phenomenon known as a "Chicago actor." Most of us at the storefront level (which is not to say 'amateur') work day jobs and the storefront scene is geared around that fact. I would draw the distinction not between amateur and professional but rather full and part time. A lot of the actors I work with are content to work at this level, they only audition for the shows they really want to do because it's a labor of love and passion for theatre. A lot want the Equity card and to make their living only through acting and there's the middle ground of people who make their living doing children's theatre, working Standardized Patient programs at med schools and however else they can manage it.

As for education goes, I'm not sure it really matters one way or the other frankly. I know great actors who have no education in theatre, I know MFAs who are so bad I'd rather have my nuts stepped on than watch them perform.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Not just Chicago; I think that's true of pretty much any city except maybe New York.

FleshColoredBeard
May 8, 2008
Our disk from photo call was ready and these two pictures were my favorite from the bunch. This was an original production called The Ballad of Chet: On the Eve of His Bliss written and directed by one of the theater teachers, Chuck Erven. It wasn't considered a musical, but rather a play with music with a very talented band and original scores.

This was the the lead, Chet, after his climatic death scene with one of the showgirls in the background.

I love the expressions on everyone's face here. The guys wearing the black suits are hitmen and the woman is Chet's ex-wife. In the background, it may be a little hard to see but the lounge singer is definitely :smug: with the showgirl.

The car they sit in was such a problem though since we had art students decorate it and they were more concerned of how it looked rather than how to properly apply stuff on it. That bumper must have fallen off twice in the course of the show while some of that wiring would stab you or bend and then fall off.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I kinda wish I'd seen the show twice, just for both Cheryls (the understudy was hilarious), but on the other hand I really didn't want to have to sit through it more than once.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Saw the NewFest [new play festival] winner. It was a very funny faux-Victorian drama which slipped over itself when it tried to establish terroir; God was Ged, the orient was the Eerient, and all the names were absurd consonent chewers.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Pious Pete posted:

This thread needs more pictures. I'd like to see some of what people are putting on. Sets, costumes, etc.

drat, you've got it. I'll probably post a set design later this week, with a progression of the set as it gets built.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Few weeks ago I had SETC. Hadn't hadn't done a cattle call in about three years, focusing mainly on film.

Got up on stage with a brand new monologue under my arm. Got about halfway through the monologue and realized "I'm not moving my arms at all." I was stiff as a goddamn board.

Walked off trying not to laugh. Last time I did SETC, when I was still in college, I received 47 callback. This time I received not a god drat one. I have completely forgotten how to do theater auditions like that.

Oh the Stella Adler Acting Academy pre-accepted for their summer acting intensive (3,000 dollars yay) and Tecumseh outside Columbus was crazy for me but I'd rather join the military than do outdoors drama.

Anyway I just auditioned for Arthur in Judas Kiss if I get it Atlanta goons can come see my dick.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
SETC is such a loving nightmare anyway; I'm surprised you managed to stay sane through that whole process. I haven't done huge cattle call auditions in a couple of years but the last one I did was UPTAs, which were much more well organized and overall higher quality (except for the whole "being in Memphis" thing).

How has the film stuff been going, anyway? Any good stuff auditioning out of Atlanta?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

tons.

missed out on a huge role because im three inches too short!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wow, the set for the new Broadway revival of How To Succeed... is kind of monolithic and scary:

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's definitely an attempt to sort of modernize what is in all honesty a pretty dated musical. Most of the reviews I've read have been middling; Ben Brantley is downright patronizing, which is kind of funny.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
While the show is a bit dated, everything I heard about Daniel Radcliffe has been saying what an amazing job he's doing. It'd be pretty great to see that character will a Tony for all 3 actors that have played it.

I love the set too, as well. It seems like a pretty good modern-take on that 60's mod-style that the original production and movie were chock-full of.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Looks like the show to beat for this year's Tonys is going to be The Book of Mormon. I haven't seen universal acclaim for a show like that in quite a while. EVERYBODY loves it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGEuPSxhes&feature=player_embedded#at=36

I played Ed in a high school production of Evil Dead: The Musical. This video is of my absolute worst night (Arms are awkward, voice was dead and difficulty reaching for a blood pack) But I'm still happy with how it came out. For a first production, Evil Dead is pretty fun to do.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Eox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGEuPSxhes&feature=player_embedded#at=36

I played Ed in a high school production of Evil Dead: The Musical. This video is of my absolute worst night (Arms are awkward, voice was dead and difficulty reaching for a blood pack) But I'm still happy with how it came out. For a first production, Evil Dead is pretty fun to do.

How the hell did a high school get away with doing Evil Dead: The Musical? I'm assuming there must have been massive cuts. For fucks sake, when we did Little Shop at my high school they were forced to remove the line "tough titty."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Wish I could've seen it.

Everyone liked the theater review I did. The main critique was that it was rather 'neutral', without a strong sense of my voice, but that was kind of intentional. I don't have the pull or the resume to be a snob, so I have to stick to the observable.

Critique tip: When in doubt, a performer is always 'underutilized'.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

How the hell did a high school get away with doing Evil Dead: The Musical? I'm assuming there must have been massive cuts. For fucks sake, when we did Little Shop at my high school they were forced to remove the line "tough titty."

Only a few lines, and get this: it's a catholic high school

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
For example, all instances of the word "zombie" were replaced with "muslim"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Only for the Metro edition. (Legit, they summarized a study about US Islamophobia with the headline "Muslims Hate Us" last Weds).

Shea, can you take a look at my lastest play? I really liked your comments on Apocrypha. I haven't editted the version since I posted it this page.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Yep! I'll read it this weekend :)

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

So I just got rejected from another theatre job, and am wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to why.

Here are the qualifications stated on the theatre website for the job I applied for

And here is my resume with info of myself and others edited out

Then the letter I got from the theatre said "Upon review of your resume it appears your skills and qualifications do not meet the requirements of this position"

Can anyone give me insight as to why since it seems that my resume and their requirements match up fairly well? Wouldn't my resume at least get me an interview?

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Several thoughts:

1. Except for tech directors (which sweet Jesus the regional theatre world is short on right now) any theatre job posting will get enough applications to bury the production office.

2. What were you applying for?

3. Is the scale of your previous work in line with the size of the theatre you applied to?

4. What's the reputation of your school? Not all programs are created equal.

5. This is a topic of debate, so take the following with a grain of salt: Don't list your sound credits or stage management experience on the resume for a lighting job. Every tech theatre grad is convinced that they are a sound/set/lighting designer and a stage manager. I can think of VERY few people that work professionally in more than one field.

6. Theatre is an incestuous, nepotistic business. There's a good chance that any job posting is just a formality, there is already an intern, previous employee, or friend of an employee that will be given the job.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

The position I applied for is master electrician, for a house that has a 15 production season. My undergrad only did 4 shows a season so I haven't worked on that scale.

My undergrad is known for engineering,science,medical programs. Theatre dept. puts on great productions but not a lot of people know about it. So reputation for the school in theatre, the professors are well known, the school not so much.

My professional work has been local theatre companies that are established (Local Rep Theatre), and fairly new companies. Both are small as well and not on the scale of the master electrician job I applied for

Thanks for the advice though, I am just frustrated with not being able to find anything.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Yeah my guess is you just didn't know anyone there. For a theatre that big, ME is high up enough on the ladder that they probably go with either a person they have worked with before and know or someone with a LOT of experience. You look like you're on the right track though so definitely keep doing what you're doing.

EDIT: after reading the comment below, I might alter my opinion to agree with NCWDC. Your resume is long on design experience but seems to bury the more practical, hanging-lights-coiling-cables-patching-etc. stuff that is more of interest to someone looking for an ME. Maybe try highlighting your basic electrician experience over your design credentials?

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 7, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Also, I don't know how it is in the theater world, but "comprehensive knowledge of electricity" and "can do basic wiring" in trades are two completely different things (the first you want helping you with heavy can-kill-you work and the second you want rewiring lights). It kind of just jumps out at you- what's basic to you and what's comprehensive to them? You should contact them and ask what they meant by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Hey any of Chicagoland area-types; we're doing an impromptu Goon meet tomorrow at The Red Lion on Rockwell in Lincoln Square. We're going to be meeting up at 2:30. OSheaman and Hewlett and I are definitely in and anyone else who wants to join us is welcome!

• Locked thread