Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The only figure I could find for EE's budget was £300mil from '09, which puts it at 20-25% of BBC1's budget for the same period. We really should consider taking it behind the barn and putting it out of it's misery, before it gets any older, madder and even more capable of convincing typecast panto-grade hams that they're never going to have to update their CV until they die. Nothing says we can't commission a couple of replcements, though.

On an unrelated note, I'm mildly annoyed about iplayer. All the one-off documentaries and stuff from the beeb's radio sites disappeared when it was all folded into it. Tried to look up something from '02 Surprising what you don't notice is missing, till you look for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/vfm/continuing_drama.pdf

Eastenders 2010-11 budget is £29.8m, about 30% of their "continuing drama" budget.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So thats why they never finished Hornblower.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

So thats why they never finished Hornblower.

Hornblower was ITV.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flatscan posted:

Hornblower was ITV.

Knowing this makes me even deader inside.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

goatface posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/vfm/continuing_drama.pdf

Eastenders 2010-11 budget is £29.8m, about 30% of their "continuing drama" budget.

That's three times as much as Doctor Who gets a year.

I guess it makes sense given the sheer loving quantity of Eastenders, but £143,000 an episode still seems a bit steep.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, not really. I think Charlie Brooker did a thing on Screenwipe about how a single episode of that, which is mostly a guy sitting on a sofa, cost about £50k.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

goatface posted:

Nah, not really. I think Charlie Brooker did a thing on Screenwipe about how a single episode of that, which is mostly a guy sitting on a sofa, cost about £50k.

Did a lot of that not come down to paying royalties for showing certain clips though?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Daedo posted:

Did a lot of that not come down to paying royalties for showing certain clips though?

Nope, he actually adressed that in the episode- It was on the BBC, so they could use everything for free

Edit: vvv Fair enough, I didn't know the deal the BBC had didn't extend to TV clips, too.

meme fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 24, 2011

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

meme posted:

Nope, he actually adressed that in the episode- It was on the BBC, so they could use everything for free
Music is free thanks to some sort of neat arrangement the BBC has with the music industry, but the clips are mainly free because they fall under Fair Use. Nothing particularly special about the BBC in that regard.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Metrication posted:

Has anybody watched White Van Man?
i saw few minutes and immediately tirned it off. It did not give a good impression.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goatface posted:

Just imagine if they axed eastenders and with that budget made some weekly HBO style quality dramas. One can dream.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Imagine if they'd scrapped Eastenders and used the money to continue Rome for its full intended span of four seasons or however many it was. That would have been ace.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

NaDy posted:

Just imagine if they axed eastenders and with that budget made some weekly HBO style quality dramas. One can dream.

For 30 million quid you'd get maybe ten episodes at HBO budgeting. Six episodes if you go nuts Rome style. And you run the risk of people not liking it (or making another Outcasts). For the same amount of cash they can crank out 200 episodes of Eastenders, throw in some social issues to cover the requirement to educate and enjoy the BARB numbers every week.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

J33uk posted:

For 30 million quid you'd get maybe ten episodes at HBO budgeting. Six episodes if you go nuts Rome style. And you run the risk of people not liking it (or making another Outcasts). For the same amount of cash they can crank out 200 episodes of Eastenders, throw in some social issues to cover the requirement to educate and enjoy the BARB numbers every week.

I totally agree, and I know that the 'majority' of people would rather watch Eastenders because it's familiar and comfortable and incredibly shallow. There's hardly any underlying subtext or message or reflection and thats what people like. I just wish more people would realise what other amazing shows have been made, mainly in the US.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Daedo posted:

In that episode he shows a clip of an old cartoon from the 60's which he informs us he could have gotten for free if he reviewed it, but he wasn't going to so they'd just wasted X amount of money on it & he showed a copyrighted photograph of Michael Fish (I think) which they had to pay £500 for. ...but I don't think he included those prices on what it costs to make an average TV show, he was walking down a hallway & began telling us all the prices of the cameramen, soundmen, background crew, producers, researchers, runners, etc & was near £20,000 just for that episode if I remember correctly.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I really just want some company to bring back "Bullseye" in all its rubbish glory, i want to see more darts on tv, more people from Walsall winning speedboats, more Tony green. I got reminded about this glorious show whilst listening to my favourite hip-hop track :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxP4XYEiFc

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 24, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

NaDy posted:

I totally agree, and I know that the 'majority' of people would rather watch Eastenders because it's familiar and comfortable and incredibly shallow. There's hardly any underlying subtext or message or reflection and thats what people like. I just wish more people would realise what other amazing shows have been made, mainly in the US.

It doesn't reflect the high populations of ethnic minorities in the east end, seem to remember someone calling it a 'white enclave'.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Metrication posted:

It doesn't reflect the high populations of ethnic minorities in the east end, seem to remember someone calling it a 'white enclave'.

It is. When I lived in Bethnal Green the only other white people we saw on a regular basis were the junkies going to get their methadone fix at the rehab-centre across the road.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

BisonDollah posted:

In that episode he shows a clip of an old cartoon from the 60's which he informs us he could have gotten for free if he reviewed it, but he wasn't going to so they'd just wasted X amount of money on it & he showed a copyrighted photograph of Michael Fish (I think) which they had to pay £500 for. ...but I don't think he included those prices on what it costs to make an average TV show, he was walking down a hallway & began telling us all the prices of the cameramen, soundmen, background crew, producers, researchers, runners, etc & was near £20,000 just for that episode if I remember correctly.

Ah right, cool. It's been so long since I've seen it, thats probably what I was getting mixed up with.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LE0N posted:

I really just want some company to bring back "Bullseye" in all its rubbish glory, i want to see more darts on tv, more people from Walsall winning speedboats, more Tony green. I got reminded about this glorious show whilst listening to my favourite hip-hop track :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxP4XYEiFc

Challenge made new episodes a few years ago. Hosted by Dave Spikey, but Tony Green was still there.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but it's relevant to the early Screenwipe talk.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zthemusic

It has all the 'wipes,

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Muppetjedi posted:

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but it's relevant to the early Screenwipe talk.

It has all the 'wipes,

That is awesometastic!

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I think it's kinda funny that all these big world events have all been happening the day after 10 O'Clock live airs. The Egyptian president standing down, the Japanese earthquake and Obama getting all riled up at Gaddafi have all happened on fridays.

I wonder if they've noticed.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Muppetjedi posted:

It has all the 'wipes,

That YouTube channel is actually IN an episode of screenwipe too, in perhaps the most meta thing ever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is everyone listening to So Wrong It's Right? I know there's a lot of Brooker love here but maybe you aren't looking for it since it's radio. Not done with the episode yet but it's worth it for David Schneider's rant about the Orange ads in cinemas.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Haha, once again the anti-interversion spokesperson is a loving idiot.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Kin posted:

I agree. What was her name? For posterity.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is everyone listening to So Wrong It's Right? I know there's a lot of Brooker love here but maybe you aren't looking for it since it's radio. Not done with the episode yet but it's worth it for David Schneider's rant about the Orange ads in cinemas.

Glad you pointed that out, the last series was good, so it'll be worth a listen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not quite sure what satirical purpose showing a Youtube fight clip serves. In fact, it's the sort of thing I'd expect Brooker to rant against...

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Wouldn't you get good economies of scale making a soap though? It's not like the production values are very high, and scenes don't seem to last longer than two seconds. Once they'd got the couple of camcorders into the cardboard set and the tenth-rate actors made-up and in place, they could probably film a year's worth of material in an afternoon.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

pisshead posted:

Wouldn't you get good economies of scale making a soap though? It's not like the production values are very high, and scenes don't seem to last longer than two seconds. Once they'd got the couple of camcorders into the cardboard set and the tenth-rate actors made-up and in place, they could probably film a year's worth of material in an afternoon.

Less profit overall though as they can't flog them on DVD afterwards.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
God drat am I disappointed in 10 O'Clock Live right now. It's basically a fact by now that Jimmy Carr is the weak link in the equation but I really thought that either Mitchell, Brooker or Laverne would handle the segment on the budget and maybe focus on the fact that Osborne is trying to sneak by a cut on the pensioner's fuel allowance that David Cameron previously pledged to keep intact. Instead, we get a predictably dreary, hopelessly pun-filled groan-fest from a reliably unfunny man. Deeply, deeply disappointed.

Also, to echo someone earlier: A youtube video is not news!!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

MY FAMILY HAS BEEN CANCELLED

You can all leave your bunkers now. A new world awaits us.

Also, very early on Sunday morning there's a show on C4 called Crunchtime about a competition held in Dundee between groups of students to design a computer game in 10 weeks. I know there are a lot of Dundee goons around so you'll probbaly recognise a lot of faces and places.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 25, 2011

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

reality_groove posted:

[siren] MY FAMILY HAS BEEN CANCELLED [siren]

You can all leave your bunkers now. A new world awaits us.
Kris Marshall can finally have that part of his soul back. We are entering a golden age of BT advertisements ladies and gentlemen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

reality_groove posted:

MY FAMILY HAS BEEN CANCELLED

My Family was still going? :aaa:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

LE0N posted:

No. My neighbours already hate me, having me scream "AIM FOR 19 YOU THICK oval office" at the non dart player every Sunday night may result in my eviction.

Although, with the economy being in the shitter, there's enough desperately poor people to accurately recreate that feeling of hopeless desperation...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I just watched the GovSquad sketch on 10 O'Clock Live.

loving hell that was bad.

Then it' followed up by a piece whose entire point is "LOL AMERICAN NEWS IS BAD" and then "Look at this footage that we found on the internet and youtube that anyone with a computer connection in an office will have already seen."

Then it's followed up by a Jimmy Carr bit where it's news from the future.

"The Emperor of Japan who was awoken in 2011, Godzilla, will be visiting the UK..."

Not only is it achingly unfunny it's also in achingly poor taste. This is exactly the sort of poo poo Brooker would have annihilated as crass, ill-conceived, piss-poor and needing to be closed down as soon as is humanly possible.

Sion fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 25, 2011

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Kin posted:

ah, another week, another anti-war campaigner kin calls an idiot. Did you cheer as they announced we were going to Libya during last weeks show, like the audience? It just seems the idea that people don't like war offends you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

le chat posted:

ah, another week, another anti-war campaigner kin calls an idiot. Did you cheer as they announced we were going to Libya during last weeks show, like the audience? It just seems the idea that people don't like war offends you

Congratulations on spectacularly missing the point.