Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

schmuckfeatures posted:

Did a quick test render of my Zero. Still haven't had a chance to give it proper bump/specularity maps, and I'm gonna hafta cheat it a bit for the closeups since I don't wanna remodel the whole thing (it's just an old library model after all). Still, progress is progress!
Looking nice. Just a quick critique, I feel like your specular and bump maps are a little strong. The paint comes off looking really glossy and wet, when most of the planes of that era have a more subdued finish. Take a look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/y0_dudes_digipix_unlimited/2564875704/

The paint definitely has some specularity to it, but the overall intensity is lower, and the glossiness is more subdued. Same goes for the bump grain that's present. I think if you decrease the grain, it'll help bring your plane closer to its real life counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

schmuckfeatures posted:

Did a quick test render of my Zero. Still haven't had a chance to give it proper bump/specularity maps, and I'm gonna hafta cheat it a bit for the closeups since I don't wanna remodel the whole thing (it's just an old library model after all). Still, progress is progress!

you should check this out;
http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78005

I'm working on my first feature in little under a month!
Pretty exciting stuff, I'm not sure what to expect.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's cool Kirby

Are you still in Australia?
What kind of stuff are you doing?

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

EoinCannon posted:

That's cool Kirby

Are you still in Australia?
What kind of stuff are you doing?

Yeah, I'm moving to Sydney for 6 months to work at Dr D Studios.
Gunna be doing a whole loada shot lighting, should be fun

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Hazed_blue posted:

Looking nice. Just a quick critique, I feel like your specular and bump maps are a little strong. The paint comes off looking really glossy and wet, when most of the planes of that era have a more subdued finish. Take a look here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/y0_dudes_digipix_unlimited/2564875704/

The paint definitely has some specularity to it, but the overall intensity is lower, and the glossiness is more subdued. Same goes for the bump grain that's present. I think if you decrease the grain, it'll help bring your plane closer to its real life counterpart.

Good call -- that's the next step. Hopefully I'll do that tomorrow, but these things always seem to take longer than planned :(

Those reference photos are awesome, thanks. I thought I'd dredged up just about every Zero photo on the net for this project :pwn:.

Kirby posted:

you should check this out;
http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78005

Holy crap, that's some amazing work. Well done on the Dr D thing too -- I know a lot of folks who work there and they're a good crowd. Friendly, hard-working and they treat you with respect.

schmuckfeatures fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 24, 2011

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
I'm currently drowning in vertices:

So much work done, but I have so much farther to go. Running this in Max 2012 would be a great help right now.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
that looks loving rad!!!
is it for DW?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Saw your WIP thread on PC mang, looking pretty badass :D

Edit: Crosspost from ZBrush thread:

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 26, 2011

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Kirby posted:

that looks loving rad!!!
is it for DW?
Nah, it's just for fun. I'd love to participate in DW someday though.

Ceebee, your stuff has improved by leaps and bounds since we first talked. Really nice job.

Mazdrol
Nov 11, 2008

Hazed_blue posted:

I'm currently drowning in vertices:

So much work done, but I have so much farther to go. Running this in Max 2012 would be a great help right now.

Is that a Bloodcrusher from Warhammer?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's a Juggernaut of Khorne, which Bloodcrushers ride but it isn't exclusive to them.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Hello,
I'm still lurking in the thread and have emerged to post my model that I've been working on.
Here's the plan:

And what I've got so far:

I deviated from the plan when it became obvious that the profile drawn looks like a weird fish man wedge shape when combined with the frontal view. Also, his nose was insanely huge.

If anybody has a clue I'd like to ask: if this model is meant to be used in Unity3D how do I do props. I'd like to have the option to add and remove items and for the character to be able to draw and reholster a pistol as well as change magazines. I've been searching for documentation but haven't come up with anything.
Aside from that, the guy is 3,600 polygons so far. Is that too many for a game asset? Does it double if I'm counting it as tris?

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.
Alright, I was redirected here--not sure if this is still wildly inappropriate, but I've got a rendering job that I'd like to do. I don't know much about rendering, though; I've got a post in the Work for Hire thread as well as in SA-Mart, and I'm getting the everloving poo poo flamed out of me over in SH/SC because my idea is bad and I should feel bad for thinking it.

Anyways, I want to put together what is essentially a press package for myself, and as a part of that I want to include a Warhammer 40K-style figurine. The whole package would be military themed (playing off a bunch of advertising terms that are lifted from military terms), and the figure is essentially the icing on the cake.

Of course, I'm just getting started, so I don't have much money. I'm hoping to keep the budget on the rendering at fifty bucks, and it's been made clear that my initial idea would take way too long, even if you could use a mesh lifted from another source. There's still a way to get around it, though: I can just buy a 40k (or a knock-off) and replace the head with one that looks like my own. (As much as a 4mm-tall head can).

So finally, to the question: How much work would go into a 4mm-tall rendered head with a moderate amount of detail?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pantothenate posted:

So finally, to the question: How much work would go into a 4mm-tall rendered head with a moderate amount of detail?

First off, you're looking for modeling, not rendering. Rendering is the 'drawing' of an image if you will, modeling is the creation of the models that get rendered. In your case, your 3d printer will be 'rendering'

The amount of detail you can fit on a 4mm tall head varies wildly based upon which 3d printer you're using. Have you researched any of that?

Getting a good likeness is way more than $50 worth of work, on the other hand getting a rough likeness that will match what your printer can produce will be a lot less work and would probably be pretty doable.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Hellbeard posted:

Hello,
I'm still lurking in the thread and have emerged to post my model that I've been working on.

I deviated from the plan when it became obvious that the profile drawn looks like a weird fish man wedge shape when combined with the frontal view. Also, his nose was insanely huge.

If anybody has a clue I'd like to ask: if this model is meant to be used in Unity3D how do I do props. I'd like to have the option to add and remove items and for the character to be able to draw and reholster a pistol as well as change magazines. I've been searching for documentation but haven't come up with anything.
Aside from that, the guy is 3,600 polygons so far. Is that too many for a game asset? Does it double if I'm counting it as tris?

That's fine for a basemesh, are you bringing this into zbrush or just straight into unity? I would recommend bringing it into zbrush and creating a hi poly mesh that you can bake onto a retoppologized low poly mesh, but that's up to you. The zbrush route will look a whole lot better. Whatever you do, the mesh could probably be bumped up to 10k-15k tris as that seems to be the norm for player characters - this all depends on what your intentions for the model are. Obviously if this is for lower end hardware then a lower poly count is better. Check out the unity forums if you need any help with the animation stuff, here's a thread that should solve your problem:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/17837-Attaching-a-weapon-shield-model-to-player-model

A lot of the details you got going on in your model can be achieved using normal maps, so you can save a lot of polys for the face and regions that are going to have joints. The pockets on his shirt would be much easier to do with a normal map, same with the tie and the epaulets.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2011

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Karl Barks posted:

That's fine for a basemesh, are you bringing this into zbrush or just straight into unity? I would recommend bringing it into zbrush and creating a hi poly mesh that you can bake onto a retoppologized low poly mesh, but that's up to you. The zbrush route will look a whole lot better. Whatever you do, the mesh could probably be bumped up to 10k-15k tris as that seems to be the norm for player characters. Check out the unity forums if you need any help with the animation stuff, here's a thread that should solve your problem:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/17837-Attaching-a-weapon-shield-model-to-player-model

A lot of the details you got going on in your model can be achieved using normal maps, so you can save a lot of polys for the face and regions that are going to have joints. The pockets on his shirt would be much easier to do with a normal map, probably the same with the tie.

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, I will bake a normal map out of a z-brush hi poly. I also intend to overlay an ambient occlusion render over my diffuse texture and make a specular map as well. I'll have a read through this thread you linked. I intend to have up to, say 10 characters of the same polygon count on screen at the same time, is that sensible? I suppose I can, after making the hi poly, edit the mesh and eliminate some polygons that account for finer details (such as nostrils) if I have to.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: However I would rather keep the "low poly" as detailed as possible so the high poly refractions don't look wonky from certain angles.
Double edit: I neglected to praise the radical model posted by Poopinmymouth. Poop is my hero. Also your tutorials helped quite a bit.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 29, 2011

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Sigma-X posted:

First off, you're looking for modeling, not rendering. Rendering is the 'drawing' of an image if you will, modeling is the creation of the models that get rendered. In your case, your 3d printer will be 'rendering'

The amount of detail you can fit on a 4mm tall head varies wildly based upon which 3d printer you're using. Have you researched any of that?

Getting a good likeness is way more than $50 worth of work, on the other hand getting a rough likeness that will match what your printer can produce will be a lot less work and would probably be pretty doable.

Thanks. I was thinking of using Shapeways--they can get a reasonable amount of detail into sufficiently small areas, and they seem to be decently priced. They also seem to deal almost exclusively in silly little customized projects rather than fully-functional to-scale industrial machines. I'm not looking for the ultra-detailed count-the-hairs precision; similar facial features (eyes, nose, facial shape), glasses, and rough approximation of my dreadfully generic hairstyle ought to be enough to let them realize that, yes, it's supposed to be me. Basically, as long as it doesn't look too out-of-place when it's stuck on the body. The level of detail in Hellbeard's model would likely be sufficient (only possibly with pupils and a little wavy hair texture that his model, again, would get from the skin)

I tried looking into online meshes (mainly user-generated mods for games like Fallout), and realized that they might not work on account of a chunk of the texture coming from the skin, so I'm going to have to line the head up with a pre-made body.

Would any of you be interested in taking up the project once I find the exact dimensions for the surrogate?

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
I'm not one to turn down work but have you thought this through properly? You'd need to print quite a few of these right? Do you think people will actually want them? I'm sure it will get you noticed but there is really such a thing as bad publicity especially when looking for a job. Some kind of 3d thing could be great, but you as a warhammer figurine with lots of aggressive war-strategy words around? I'd be a bit spooked personally.

Edit: I really like that posters paper craft idea though its inventive, cheap and could work really well with non nerds.

Hellbeard I'm liking it so far, good job. Please don't render with A black background like ever though it's so hard to see the model properly! Can we see some on a lighter grey?

enginedriver fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 29, 2011

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

enginedriver posted:

I'm not one to turn down work but have you thought this through properly? You'd need to print quite a few of these right? Do you think people will actually want them? I'm sure it will get you noticed but there is really such a thing as bad publicity especially when looking for a job. Some kind of 3d thing could be great, but you as a warhammer figurine with lots of aggressive war-strategy words around? I'd be a bit spooked personally.

Edit: I really like that posters paper craft idea though its inventive, cheap and could work really well with non nerds.

Hellbeard I'm liking it so far, good job. Please don't render with A black background like ever though it's so hard to see the model properly! Can we see some on a lighter grey?

Thanks! I've been learning quite a bit from each model I make. Though it's quite a daunting task every time with so many things to do. Here's your light gray renders:

I'd like to add my vote to the papercraft idea. A lot more sensible and probably more budget appropriate.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pantothenate posted:

Would any of you be interested in taking up the project once I find the exact dimensions for the surrogate?

I wouldnt hire someone who did that to be honest. Unconventional marketing is one thing, but you're giving someone something they'll want to throw away instantly. Lets face it, for a $50 model and the cheapest 3d printing you go for, you're not going to end up with a product which can be kept anywhere. It's going to look really cheap.
It doesn't bring anything to the table or tell any story, it's just something you thought would be cool.

Oh, and $50 is a joke.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 30, 2011

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Haven't posted anything in a while, so here's something I put together yesterday. Nothing fancy, but I'm kinda proud of the concrete and the glass texture on the lighting fixture.

Click for big:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Handiklap posted:

Haven't posted anything in a while, so here's something I put together yesterday. Nothing fancy, but I'm kinda proud of the concrete and the glass texture on the lighting fixture.

Click for big:

I'm so average :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm so average :(

So is he. So am I. Who cares? Do your work!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mutata posted:

So is he. So am I. Who cares? Do your work!

?

enginedriver
Jul 16, 2010
What is best in life?

To push your polys, see them risen before you, and to endear the iterations of their women in skimpy clothing that always seem to win dominance war.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

?

You heard me. We all suck. Go make some cool poo poo instead of mopin' about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mutata posted:

You heard me. We all suck. Go make some cool poo poo instead of mopin' about it.

I was talking about my height being average. 5'10". Like in that render. :haw:

VVV Now I'm average height AND misunderstood! Surely this is a Pop song somewhere.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 30, 2011

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Handiklap posted:

Click for big:

That's cool, I would love to see it with a rougher sculpted broken concrete displacement along that broken edge. I know that's probably not the look you are going for but I reckon it would look cool.

Also Mutata is right, the internet is constantly showing you how many people are better than you. Use it as motivation to get better instead of getting depressed about it.

*edit* oh, ok then. Well my point still stands in a general sense ^^^^^^^^

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 30, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I was talking about my height being average. 5'10". Like in that render. :haw:

VVV Now I'm average height AND misunderstood! Surely this is a Pop song somewhere.

Aaaaaaahahahahahaha wow I'm retarded and I get it now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mutata posted:

Aaaaaaahahahahahaha wow I'm retarded and I get it now.

Actually I wasn't clear at all so...heh. My bad.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Handiklap posted:

Click for big:

That looks really good, but you don't really need rebar in a sidewalk slab. You definitely don't need THAT much and the upper grid is too close to the top of the slab anyway. Some places use welded wire fabric and some use no reinforcement at all for sidewalks that aren't going to have vehicles driving over them.

[edit] - You could also show the ends of the concrete as clean cuts since there are likely going to be control joints in the slab every 4 feet or so (I know control joints don't go the full depth of the slab, but still).

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2011

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

EoinCannon posted:

That's cool, I would love to see it with a rougher sculpted broken concrete displacement along that broken edge. I know that's probably not the look you are going for but I reckon it would look cool.

Yeah I'm thinking about working on showing some of the agregate in there. Right now there's just way too much cement.

Ash1138 posted:

That looks really good, but you don't really need rebar in a sidewalk slab. You definitely don't need THAT much and the upper grid is too close to the top of the slab anyway. Some places use welded wire fabric and some use no reinforcement at all for sidewalks that aren't going to have vehicles driving over them.

[edit] - You could also show the ends of the concrete as clean cuts since there are likely going to be control joints in the slab every 4 feet or so (I know control joints don't go the full depth of the slab, but still).

I usually put a lot more attention on the slab and control joint layout. Odd, a previous render I used that section on had two joints in it, and now they're gone. Thanks for the tips on the rebar, ultimately it was just some garnish for the client to ooh and ahh at, but I was thinking about adding a layer of dirt underneath which would serve the same purpose.

(nevermind my awful brick facades)

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 31, 2011

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Handiklap posted:

I usually put a lot more attention on the slab and control joint layout. Odd, a previous render I used that section on had two joints in it, and now they're gone. Thanks for the tips on the rebar, ultimately it was just some garnish for the client to ooh and ahh at, but I was thinking about adding a layer of dirt underneath which would serve the same purpose.
I think the client will ooh and ahh at your bus shelter! If you want to keep things clean, you can shrink the slab from 6" thick to 4" and put 2" of no. 57 stone beneath the slab.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's where I am now. Unwrapping. It's really useful for finding those n-gons, missing edges and broken/double vertices. On the other hand there's a lot of work doing it. I think I'm in a good place with the shirt front which is what I've worked on so far.
Any useful tips will be deemed useful.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You've got some weird stretching going on, and it looks like your shells for the pants are diagonal. This will be a pain in the rear end when you texture it unless you're doing projection painting.

What are you using to unwrap?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

ceebee posted:

You've got some weird stretching going on, and it looks like your shells for the pants are diagonal. This will be a pain in the rear end when you texture it unless you're doing projection painting.

What are you using to unwrap?

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to the pants, just finished the shirt which you can see a progress shot of in the image. I'll post the rest of it when I'm done.
Unwrap UVW modifier. The shirt, shoes, pants and face are pelted and now I'm pushing the vertices to their place and the sleeves are cylindrical and palms planar.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm not too familiar with the Unwrap UVW modifier (I'm a Maya user) but I'd recommend checking out headus uvlayout or roadkill, something that uses an ABF or LCSM mode of unwrapping. Personally I use 3DCoat these days, it does both and it's really quick to pick seams.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Can anybody shed some light on SSS shaders for skin in either Mental Ray or Vray? I've googled it really extensively and watched a ton of videos, but for some reason my outcome is never the same. I THINK I've narrowed it down to being either the UVs or the texture map that are messing up. The character was made in Zbrush and I'm importing it into Maya to render. I've double checked the normals to make sure they're facing the right way and everything, so not sure what the deal is.

Here is a quick character to test it, the texture is made from polypainting (excuse the lovely Zbrush render):

Then I tried creating the texture map two different ways, each with a different UV projection:

GroupUVs:

UV master:

But then this is what I get with my quick Mental Ray shader test:

Anybody got any ideas on where I'm messing up here? I'm using mental ray's Fast_Simple SSS

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Whats the problem exactly? Take into account the actual scale of your model also affects the amount of SSS you have. Also maybe up the samples in your lightmap settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Mostly what threw me off the most right away was the black blob stemming from his face, I'm not sure why it's there as it's not in the texture map or anything. It seems like there is something wrong with my texture maps that are causing them to not be accurately portrayed when I plug them in the shader. When I see MR or Vray SSS examples, they always have really beautiful skin renders with amazing color variation and definition, that's why I felt the need to learn it and that this character could benefit from it. It's my first time using SSS though, so I'm not sure how to trouble shoot it just yet. I did keep scale in mind though and tried to accurately keep it in real world scale.