Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

You have to drop the patcher file into the BIN directory in wherever you have the game installed.

Awesome. Game looks much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

For some reason this game is giving me motion sickness. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Hahahaha. I was just playing the game, talking to Jeanette when all the sudden, my dog came in and started barking at the monitor. She's never done this. Anybody else's dog barked at the monitor when playing Vampire: Bloodlines?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Lant posted:

Wasn't until this thread that I picked it up, and I learned a lot of things from this game.

That a perfectly lit street is actually compleatly loving dark.

That all humans are nearsighted.

It's the world of darkness :colbert:

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Just this once, everybody lives!

SourceElement posted:

Also, a question of my own - I did Fat Larry's mission the stealthy way and got an e-mail from someone with the subject "Atonement." It mentioned that it would be in my best interests to kill an accountant named Carl in a building next to the parking garage, but I can't find anyone fitting that description. Am I just not far enough along in the plot?

Took me awhile to figure this drat thing out... Carl's actually IN the parking garage, around level 2 or 3 I think. Just sneak in, kill him, and sneak back out again.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Boo This Man posted:

Hahahaha. I was just playing the game, talking to Jeanette when all the sudden, my dog came in and started barking at the monitor. She's never done this. Anybody else's dog barked at the monitor when playing Vampire: Bloodlines?

Actually my room mates cat really loving hates Jeanette. Like, jumps up on the back of my chair, starts yowling kind of hates her.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Maybe it's an audio thing. Perhaps Jeanette's voice files contain some ultrasonic shriek that irritates dogs and cats.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but there was some discussion a few pages back about the game never going on sale on steam. I recall getting the game for about $5 on Halloween years ago. Granted the the steam store purchase history only seems to go back to Mar 31, 2008, so I assume I bought it in 2007. But still, it was on sale at least one other time. Also this thread is going to make me play through the game again.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Okay, I have a wooden pull toy shaped like a duck in my inventory, amongst other things I assume are quest objects. Is this poo poo ever going to be used?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Forums Medic posted:

Okay, I have a wooden pull toy shaped like a duck in my inventory, amongst other things I assume are quest objects. Is this poo poo ever going to be used?

Yeah. If you weren't aware, you receive a handful of side-quests through your email, most of which revolve around locating and retrieving certain objects for the Nosferatu Primogen or the prince. The pull-toy is for the primogen's email quests, which mostly revolve around him trading you cheesecake shots of the game's female NPCs for lost mementos.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

DemonNick posted:

Yeah. If you weren't aware, you receive a handful of side-quests through your email, most of which revolve around locating and retrieving certain objects for the Nosferatu Primogen or the prince. The pull-toy is for the primogen's email quests, which mostly revolve around him trading you cheesecake shots of the game's female NPCs for lost mementos.

When will I get these emails? I'm about to start the Giovanni mission and if I recall correctly, the Giovanni mission is pretty close to the end.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

However, I've now got a different issue I've started to run into: I've gone melee, and lately I find myslef clipping into the enemies while I try to fight them if I miss. This makes for annoying fights. Eventually I can jump out of the people, but it shouldn't happen in the first place :( Thoughts?

Also, I sucked the blood from the jail bond guy (Arthur or whatever), and now he is in a perma trance mode. Can I get him back somehow or am I screwed with those quests?

Anyone know an answer to either of these? Melee has gotten awful since this clipping poo poo happened, may just cheat myself equivalent firearms levels to compensate.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

DemonNick posted:

Those posters look really stupid in the Tremere haven :11tea:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Are there any tricks to getting the Clan Quest mod to work on steam? I aimed it at the correct directory per the Known Issues post, but it doesn't seem to be taking.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Karnegal posted:

Are there any tricks to getting the Clan Quest mod to work on steam? I aimed it at the correct directory per the Known Issues post, but it doesn't seem to be taking.

You didn't put it in the wrong Program Files, did you? I don't know if you have a 64-bit system, but I accidentally installed mine to "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)" the first time. That's all I could think of.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

drcru posted:

For some reason this game is giving me motion sickness. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Could be the FOV. I'm not sure exactly what to change, probably through the console, but I had to do a FOV fix to play Half Life 2.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Forums Medic posted:

When will I get these emails? I'm about to start the Giovanni mission and if I recall correctly, the Giovanni mission is pretty close to the end.

You get the first email quest after the Prince sends you to the Elizabeth Dane, and Gary's start shortly after you meet him. The Clan Quest mod apparently cuts Gary's quests though, so if you're using that they won't show up.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Maybe it's an audio thing. Perhaps Jeanette's voice files contain some ultrasonic shriek that irritates dogs and cats.

We really need someone to make a mod like this so that whenever a vampire shows up your pets start freaking out. Just for a little extra immersion.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Baron Bifford posted:

Her voice definitely has some kind of audio filter over it, like pitch-bending or something. They probably just used some frequency when they were filtering or compressing it that's annoying to animals.

That actually has me wondering, since Jeanette's voice was altered, if it could be the same voice actor as Therese since, you know. That'd be a nice touch.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

doctor iono posted:

You didn't put it in the wrong Program Files, did you? I don't know if you have a 64-bit system, but I accidentally installed mine to "Program Files" instead of "Program Files (x86)" the first time. That's all I could think of.

Nope, still living in the 32 bit era. I uninstalled and am re installing via steam right now, so fingers crossed.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Speaking of the voices... I really love the voiceacting but does anyone else get annoyed at the strange audio-quality of the dialogue in this game? I remember I thought it was something wrong with my computer when the game was first released but nope... It just sounds weird.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Its pretty obviously gone through a lot of post production but i never had any problem with it, everyone has a unique cool voice and never really repeats unlike a lot of modern games.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The left and right channels are a little out of sync I think. I just turn one speaker down when I play and everything sounds clear.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
This game is super good, so glad I dropped the twenty bones to pick it up. I just killed the Chinaman and am now on to the Therese/Jeanette missions, and I'll be damned if they aren't the same character... don't know it for sure, don't spoil it for me, but I will eat my hat if they're not...

Also, I wish I had rolled Nosferatu if only because my character runs like a girl and wears satin shirts. Androgynous male power!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tewratomeh posted:

That actually has me wondering, since Jeanette's voice was altered, if it could be the same voice actor as Therese since, you know. That'd be a nice touch.

They're both voiced by Grey DeLisle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Chinaman7000 posted:

The left and right channels are a little out of sync I think. I just turn one speaker down when I play and everything sounds clear.

Turn off Environmental Effects in your sound options. This is a known bug with that build of Source, and it happens to everyone. Turning off the EAX makes the audio sound fine so there's no echo.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

jonjonaug posted:

They're both voiced by Grey DeLisle.

Weird that her name is Grey.. :tinfoil:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

OSheaman posted:

Those posters look really stupid in the Tremere haven :11tea:

Good thing I don't play some pussy-rear end wanna-be wizard vampires (gangrel 4 lyf)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
This weird clipping poo poo is making me stop the game in Hollywood. Half the time when I collide with a random NPC I get repelled back like two magnets at the same pole, the other half I clip right inside the person. I don't get why this started happening :( Oh well maybe I'll dust it off again in a year.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

This weird clipping poo poo is making me stop the game in Hollywood. Half the time when I collide with a random NPC I get repelled back like two magnets at the same pole, the other half I clip right inside the person. I don't get why this started happening :( Oh well maybe I'll dust it off again in a year.

Don't run into other people in the street you jerk

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What kind of Masquerade respecting vampire just runs into people randomly, sheesh.

I put this game on hiatus to play Dragon Age 2 and I am glad I have a competently written game to go back to once I'm done with this other trainwreck. I'm definitely looking forward to the Malk playthrough after this thread, and I'm glad I read this thread first since the little personality quiz at the beginning of the game told me to roll Malk for my first play.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Turn off Environmental Effects in your sound options. This is a known bug with that build of Source, and it happens to everyone. Turning off the EAX makes the audio sound fine so there's no echo.

All this time I've suffered from that bug and the answer is so simple?
   /
:negative:

I have some questions:
1) Does the warehouse bomb count special vampire time or what's up?

2) Why is there a picture of a clown, titled "DAD", on several walls at Mr. Gimble's Prosthetics?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Deleuzionist posted:

I have some questions:
1) Does the warehouse bomb count special vampire time or what's up?

How do you mean? The count is drat slow, yeah, but whatever... it's for effect! Also are you using Celerity? Because that makes the timer tick down slower.

Deleuzionist posted:

2) Why is there a picture of a clown, titled "DAD", on several walls at Mr. Gimble's Prosthetics?

Why does he chop people's body parts off, including his own arm? BECAUSE HE IS CRAZY.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Deleuzionist posted:

Actually, those same posters show up a lot later on in the game, when you're in Hollywood, doing favors for Isaac.

Specifically when you're going through the snuff film studios in search of the second half of the tape.

Those posters seem to show up when the wall art in the area requires you to recognize a seriously hosed up individual resides there. There's more than just "DAD CLOWN" posters - pictures of cadavers, notes to call Larry, anatomy shots of various parts of the human body, and god only knows what else.

I think I saw the same posters/pictures at least one other time in the game, though I can't remember where else.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Fuzz posted:

How do you mean? The count is drat slow, yeah, but whatever... it's for effect! Also are you using Celerity? Because that makes the timer tick down slower.
Celerity might explain it although I wasn't using it. I was dead you see. Well to be precise I was already dead before, but anyway, I died a final death while escaping and noticed 2 things: the last two digits go from 99 to 0 and the time unit after that certainly wasn't counting seconds. If the death scene contains a time slowing effect that might explain it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Finally wrestled the game into working condition and am enjoying it. Just finished the first beach house mission. I was told this game has all this deep dialogue, but my 1-intelligence brawler Brujah seems to just hit people in the head with a pipe. It's a living. But I have 2 points in intimidate, when am I going to start seeing dividends on those? Are there any missions to look foward to being a hulking, intimidating bruiser for in terms of megafun?

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

projecthalaxy posted:

Finally wrestled the game into working condition and am enjoying it. Just finished the first beach house mission. I was told this game has all this deep dialogue, but my 1-intelligence brawler Brujah seems to just hit people in the head with a pipe. It's a living. But I have 2 points in intimidate, when am I going to start seeing dividends on those? Are there any missions to look foward to being a hulking, intimidating bruiser for in terms of megafun?

You're going to want to put more points into that. Even at the beginning, 2 is a bit low to see much of anything. Remember, it's better to specialize early on than try to be a jack of all trades, especially on your first playthrough when you might not be maximizing your XP.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

doctor iono posted:

You're going to want to put more points into that. Even at the beginning, 2 is a bit low to see much of anything. Remember, it's better to specialize early on than try to be a jack of all trades, especially on your first playthrough when you might not be maximizing your XP.

I see. I thought it would be like Mass Effect, where like every other conversation had at least one of the variant dialogues. In that case, I will focus on my true calling, the wanton clubbing of dudes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I see. I thought it would be like Mass Effect, where like every other conversation had at least one of the variant dialogues. In that case, I will focus on my true calling, the wanton clubbing of dudes.

Congratulations on hamstringing yourself on your first playthough and missing like 80% of the beauty and nuance of this game. Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I do want to play this someday but man im cheap. If it ever goes on sale via Steam for like $10 someone send me a PM please

• Locked thread