Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thermopyle posted:

Do you want this because their RSS feeds never include the link to the source? That irritates the poo poo outta me.

Partly that, partly the sometimes annoying redesign (although I could never get mad enough about a free website to "quit" or "feel betrayed" whatever), but mostly because anytime the story originates off-site (i.e. not original reporting or materials) I always ignore the Gizmodo/Lifehacker/Kotaku post and click through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

I'd like to request userscript or Chrome extension that would automatically load the story source of Gawker posts. In other words, I click on a Kotaku post in my reader with a blurb that ends with "From Maximum PC" or "Via Valve's Development Blog", with both of those being links to the source, and the extension automatically loads the source.

It seems possible (search for string "Via" or "from" followed by an hyperlink, load hyperlink).

Ideally I'd be able to add urls to whatever list and toggle it on/off.
I've got this working with Engadget and Kotaku, but on the others I'm having trouble finding posts with source or via links (I rarely read Gawker sites). Can you link an example on each site you'd like it to work on?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Seven Round Things posted:

I've got this working with Engadget and Kotaku, but on the others I'm having trouble finding posts with source or via links (I rarely read Gawker sites). Can you link an example on each site you'd like it to work on?

Noticed that if a link is before "via" it is normally the original source.

Example 1:

http://gizmodo.com/!5783391/turn-a-pair-of-30-headphones-into-a-300-pair

"DIY HiFi Orthodynamic Portable Headphones (aka Ribbon Driver Headphones) Does it Pew? via Hack a Day"

Example 2:
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/03/18/7-foot-wide-house-for-sale/

Similar to above.

I'm not sure how difficult complicated IF THEN statements get for extensions/userscripts; my only limited programming experience is using visual basic for various Access reports, forms and functions.

Thanks for taking a look at this in any case.

EDIT: and other times they just put the source in brackets ( http://lifehacker.com/!5783440/att-starts-blindly-sending-emails-to-unofficial-tetherers ).

Balls. Don't they have a style guide?

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have a bunch of MP3s that have art, but the art doesn't seem to be in the right format for most mp3 players to read. I'd like to change them, but I was hoping to request something that would pull the art, convert it to whatever the most common format is, then "re-assemble" the mp3? (Or at least point me towards a good program that can do it easily?)

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

Noticed that if a link is before "via" it is normally the original source.

Example 1:

http://gizmodo.com/!5783391/turn-a-pair-of-30-headphones-into-a-300-pair

"DIY HiFi Orthodynamic Portable Headphones (aka Ribbon Driver Headphones) Does it Pew? via Hack a Day"

Example 2:
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/03/18/7-foot-wide-house-for-sale/

Similar to above.

I'm not sure how difficult complicated IF THEN statements get for extensions/userscripts; my only limited programming experience is using visual basic for various Access reports, forms and functions.

Thanks for taking a look at this in any case.

EDIT: and other times they just put the source in brackets ( http://lifehacker.com/!5783440/att-starts-blindly-sending-emails-to-unofficial-tetherers ).

Balls. Don't they have a style guide?
Okay, this mostly works for Engadget, Joystiq, and Gizomodo, but it's often breaking; their inconsistency is exceedingly irritating. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/99277 e: it also waits 3 seconds so as to work with the annoying ajax loading system.

Lanulus
Mar 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have a bunch of MP3s that have art, but the art doesn't seem to be in the right format for most mp3 players to read. I'd like to change them, but I was hoping to request something that would pull the art, convert it to whatever the most common format is, then "re-assemble" the mp3? (Or at least point me towards a good program that can do it easily?)

I always use MediaMonkey to mess with ID3 tags and cover art. If you don't have the art for an album it can even search amazon for it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Okay, this mostly works for Engadget, Joystiq, and Gizomodo, but it's often breaking; their inconsistency is exceedingly irritating. http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/99277 e: it also waits 3 seconds so as to work with the annoying ajax loading system.

Thanks! I'll put it through it's paces.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have a bunch of MP3s that have art, but the art doesn't seem to be in the right format for most mp3 players to read.
It depends entirely on your MP3 player. iPods want the album art to be stored in the audio file's metadata, which is what a lot of programs, e.g. MediaMonkey, let you do. Other players might want a JPG file assigned in some bizarre way.
(My iPod Touch also can't handle progressive-scan JPGs because Apple is poo poo)

So in other words post what MP3 player you have.

e: it also waits 3 seconds so as to work with the annoying ajax loading system.
To bypass that, you should be able to request the escaped URL.

As in, rewrite
http://gizmodo.com/#!5782982/ipad-2-review
to
http://gizmodo.com/?_escaped_fragment_=5782982/ipad-2-review

That won't work if you click on it and have JS enabled for their site (they'll redirect you), but since you're a script it should work fine.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 19, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

It depends entirely on your MP3 player. iPods want the album art to be stored in the audio file's metadata, which is what a lot of programs, e.g. MediaMonkey, let you do. Other players might want a JPG file assigned in some bizarre way.
(My iPod Touch also can't handle progressive-scan JPGs because Apple is poo poo)

So in other words post what MP3 player you have.

Oh, sorry, that would help, wouldn't it? I'm using WinAmp for Android. The album art does show on my PC, but not on my Android.

e: if it matters, I got the tracks from bandcamp.com, and they already had the art embedded.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 19, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm on a Mac, is there any tool that I can feed a text file to and have it wrap each word in order with html? Basically, if I gave it a file saying "here is a sentence" it would return the text file with:
code:
<a href="javascript:Q('here')">here</a> <a href="javascript:Q('is')">is</a> <a href="javascript:Q('a')">a</a> <a href="javascript:Q('sentence')">sentence</a
Thanks!

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Manky posted:

I'm on a Mac, is there any tool that I can feed a text file to and have it wrap each word in order with html? Basically, if I gave it a file saying "here is a sentence" it would return the text file with:
code:
<a href="javascript:Q('here')">here</a> <a href="javascript:Q('is')">is</a> <a href="javascript:Q('a')">a</a> <a href="javascript:Q('sentence')">sentence</a
Thanks!

If you don't mind using terminal:

code:
#!/bin/bash

for word in $(cat $1);
do echo -ne "< href=\"javascript:Q('$word')\">$word</a> "
done
can be called from the command line like:

code:
script.sh textFile.txt > output.html

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 22, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Modern Pragmatist posted:

If you don't mind using terminal:

code:
#!/bin/bash

for word in $(cat $1);
do echo -ne "< href=\"javascript:Q('$word')\">$word</a> "
done
can be called from the command line like:

code:
script.sh textFile.txt > output.html

Aw sweet. Works perfectly! Thanks a bunch.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
A forum I visit recently added NSFW and SFW tags to each thread's title, which is making it quite difficult to browse. I was hoping a user javascript would be able to strip them away without too many problems but I'm having no end of trouble doing it.

I'm using Opera so I'd like to avoid Greasemonkey specific scripts if possible.

Here's the code that they use to display SFW and NSFW, which are contained in the link text only, not the actually destination URL:
code:
<span class="gen"><span style="color:#009900; font-weight:bold;">[SFW]</span>

<span class="gen"><span style="color:#990000; font-weight:bold;">[NSFW]</span>
Ideally I'd be able to replace the [SFW] and [NSFW] text with no text at all which would return the forum to the way it looked before. The problem only exists on the one php forum so if the script could be dormant except for that site it would be awesome but if it's too much work. If a user.css is the right answer, that'd be fine as well.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ape Agitator posted:

Current versions of Opera should be able to support Userscripts. There are a handful of Firefox-specific commands in Greasemonkey, but most of the basic stuff (which is what you're looking for) should work fine in Opera.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

m2pt5 posted:

Current versions of Opera should be able to support Userscripts. There are a handful of Firefox-specific commands in Greasemonkey, but most of the basic stuff (which is what you're looking for) should work fine in Opera.

I was mainly trying to remove potential failure points.

For whatever reason, this nut is not cracking. Using various js solutions, I can replace words. I can replace words in hyperlinks. I can even get at most of what I want. But I can't seem to remove the brackets.

I can currently hide NSFW and SFW, leaving me with a visible []. But I can't seem to hide [NSFW] and [SFW]. For that matter I can't hide [ or ] individually it seems. I tried using what I think is html for the left bracket ( [ ) but that didn't seem to have an effect.

Thanks thus far, I'm getting closer and am about 90% there.

Flamadiddle
May 9, 2004

Your problem is possibly that the [] characters are special in the case of regular expressions... When you replace them, try using \[ and \] instead of the plain character. Alternatively, could you hook into the DOM and style all spans with a class of "gen" or their child span elements to display: none? I'd have a go at this, but I've got no experience with Opera scripts.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

A forum I visit recently added NSFW and SFW tags to each thread's title, which is making it quite difficult to browse. I was hoping a user javascript would be able to strip them away without too many problems but I'm having no end of trouble doing it.

Here's the code that they use to display SFW and NSFW, which are contained in the link text only, not the actually destination URL:
code:
<span class="gen"><span style="color:#009900; font-weight:bold;">[SFW]</span>

<span class="gen"><span style="color:#990000; font-weight:bold;">[NSFW]</span>
Ideally I'd be able to replace the [SFW] and [NSFW] text with no text at all which would return the forum to the way it looked before. The problem only exists on the one php forum so if the script could be dormant except for that site it would be awesome but if it's too much work. If a user.css is the right answer, that'd be fine as well.
Can you point me to the forum in question?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Flamadiddle posted:

Your problem is possibly that the [] characters are special in the case of regular expressions... When you replace them, try using \[ and \] instead of the plain character. Alternatively, could you hook into the DOM and style all spans with a class of "gen" or their child span elements to display: none? I'd have a go at this, but I've got no experience with Opera scripts.

That seems very logical but either the particular js text replacement I've got doesn't utilize it or I didn't make it work correctly. I'll tinker around with my previous (failed) attempts to see if they might implement the \[ and \] successfully.

Also, I don't think this would be an "Opera" script per se so much as it would be a basic javascript without greasemonkey hooks. Although the previous suggestion of a greasemonkey script did work in Opera so it might not even be a concern at all.

On the subject of tinkering, is there a method of limiting a particular js from executing on all but one site? I saw something that suggested a code like this would execute it only on one site but I'm not seeing that result.
code:
// @include [url]http://www.google.com/*[/url]
Do I need to marry this with an
code:
@exclude [url]http://*/*[/url]
before or after the include to force the js to only operate on one site? Or is there some other method to keep this one site-specific fix from leaking all over my entire internet?

Can you point me to the forum in question?

Sure, this is the subforum that really got hit by the new tagging. As by the nature of my original post, this is not safe for work. :)

http://www.cndb.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 24, 2011

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

Okay, add this CSS for cndb.com:
code:
.gen {
  position: absolute;
  visibility: hidden;
}
Anyone with Stylish (not available for Opera AFAIK) who wants to achieve the same thing, here's a userstyle: http://userstyles.org/styles/45605/cndb-remove-worksafe-classifications

vvv - Excellent! Glad I could help.

Seven Round Things fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 24, 2011

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Okay, add this CSS for cndb.com:
code:
.gen {
  position: absolute;
  visibility: hidden;
}
Anyone with Stylish (not available for Opera AFAIK) who wants to achieve the same thing, here's a userstyle: http://userstyles.org/styles/45605/cndb-remove-worksafe-classifications

Perfection! Works exactly and is site specific, couldn't be better.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
This is the closest thread I could find for my question. Is there an application that can make backing up easier? Point it to whichever folders, then to a hard drive, and it goes? Or should I just get an enclosure that does that with a button press (as long as I can set up individual folders for it to copy)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You could give Microsoft Synctoy a shot. Set "left folder" as your source, "right folder" as the destination, and a sync type of Echo, and you've got a perfect one-way backup. Then you can schedule a task to run it periodically.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fooley posted:

This is the closest thread I could find for my question. Is there an application that can make backing up easier? Point it to whichever folders, then to a hard drive, and it goes? Or should I just get an enclosure that does that with a button press (as long as I can set up individual folders for it to copy)?

I just use Cobian Backup. Works exactly like you want it to and is free.

Comedy option: Symantec Backup Exec. It works great! (except when it fails and the only fix is to buy the new version)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a PC version of M_nus's (Richie Hawtin's label) Twitter DJ. What it does is act like a very basic version of a Shoutcast server, but rather than actually streaming the audio to anyone, it takes the track names that Traktor sends and posts them to a linked Twitter account.

The Mac version (along with the documentation and even an example video of what the Mac version looks like) can be found here: http://www.m-nus.com/Twitter_DJ/

If possible, I'd like to have a working version before May 13th, as I have a gig at a new LAN party concept, and I'd like to have people be able to check what track is playing from their machine as I'm playing it.

If it's too difficult (I'm no programmer, so it very well could be), I totally understand, but the app doesn't *look* that complicated so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you so much!

Delirium
Jun 19, 2004
Jemig de pemig! Mozes kriebel!
So basically you want a program that automatically puts posts on twitter about the music you are currently playing?

From what i've read from the site you linked, this twitter dj application does not contain a shoutcast server, but instead listens to an existing shoutcast (/ icecast) server, reads all track info from this shoutcast steam and dumps it to twitter.

Are you planning to run a shoutcast server on this lan party, where this program should listen to? Or do you just want a winamp plugin (for example...) that sends all track info to twitter? In case you want the last option, there seems to be an existing plugin for this: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/twitter-plugin/221831

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Delirium posted:

So basically you want a program that automatically puts posts on twitter about the music you are currently playing?

From what i've read from the site you linked, this twitter dj application does not contain a shoutcast server, but instead listens to an existing shoutcast (/ icecast) server, reads all track info from this shoutcast steam and dumps it to twitter.

Are you planning to run a shoutcast server on this lan party, where this program should listen to? Or do you just want a winamp plugin (for example...) that sends all track info to twitter? In case you want the last option, there seems to be an existing plugin for this: http://www.winamp.com/plugin/twitter-plugin/221831
Sorry, reading over my last post, I guess I didn't exactly explain it right.

It should be a completely separate app, that just listens for an incoming Shoutcast/Icecast stream but discards the actual audio and just uses the track data to update Twitter.

There won't even be an existing Shoutcast server that it needs to re-pipe the audio to, as there will be a massive soundsystem there for those people who want to actually listen to the music - this is just for people who might not be gaming at the moment and want to see what track is currently playing.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Apparently my Google skills could use a bit of work.

I found "Traktor Scrobbler" which does exactly what I'm looking for.

URL: http://www.ali.dj/traktor-scrobbler/

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Hoborg posted:

mmhmmm.

Here y'go.

Out of curiosity what control did you use for the destinations? Some kind of listview that spawns panels?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

whiskas posted:

Out of curiosity what control did you use for the destinations? Some kind of listview that spawns panels?

Each Destination is a UserControl with the textbox/button/checkbox widgets on, they then exist within a FlowLayoutPanel set to flow vertically.

apati
Nov 25, 2004
I wish I was an anal probe
I need an app that makes a dot/period when i tap spacebar twice,
just like an iphone.
there is apps for mac/osx but i can't find one for windows.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In any input field with focus? Isn't that bordering on keylogger?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

epswing posted:

No.

There's a bajillion utility apps out there that replace text you type with other text that you specify.

Like you can type {address} and have it configured to replace that with your postal address, or whatever.

I've not used any of them, but I think I recall Lifehacker talking about one called TextExpander or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hoborg posted:

Each Destination is a UserControl with the textbox/button/checkbox widgets on, they then exist within a FlowLayoutPanel set to flow vertically.

Ahh drat, this is actually what I need to do. Instead, I'm clumsily cloning a template group box with all its children controls.

epswing posted:

I don't see how, wouldn't a keylogger require that the keys are being, you know, logged somewhere? This app would just listen for the events and substitute the two spaces for a dot. I'll give it a shot but can't promise anything as I'm in a phase where I try to do everything in pure C which I'm not too comfortable in yet.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't see how

Thermopyle posted:

No.

Um ok...it's an app that listens to keystrokes no matter what you have in focus. Just because it doesn't write the keystrokes to a file, you're saying "it's not a keylogger." Ok, agree. But it's almost a keylogger. Which is what I said, "bordering on keylogger."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

epswing posted:

Um ok...it's an app that listens to keystrokes no matter what you have in focus. Just because it doesn't write the keystrokes to a file, you're saying "it's not a keylogger." Ok, agree. But it's almost a keylogger. Which is what I said, "bordering on keylogger."

Yeah basically if you're listening on the keyboard interrupt it's the same functionality. Could get freaky-deaky; no insult intended to anyone here but that's usually not the kind of software you want total strangers on the internet writing for you.

Couldn't you wack together something in AutoIT?

apati
Nov 25, 2004
I wish I was an anal probe

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't see how, wouldn't a keylogger require that the keys are being, you know, logged somewhere? This app would just listen for the events and substitute the two spaces for a dot. I'll give it a shot but can't promise anything as I'm in a phase where I try to do everything in pure C which I'm not too comfortable in yet.

thank you.
if possible, can you make it with some on/off-feature.
sometime you do need to use doublespace ;)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

no insult intended to anyone here but that's usually not the kind of software you want total strangers on the internet writing for you.
:confused: Any of the applications posted in this thread may very well be secretly logging key strokes and doing other malicious things. "The kind of software" is irrelevant.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

epswing posted:

Ok. By that definition a key in your pocket is "bordering on a concealed weapon" ... "concealed weapon" and "keylogger" both have specific connotations. I guess it just depends on how you want to look at it.

Look, any piece of software wrote in this thread or anywhere on the internet, whether it was wrote for replacing a double space with a period or showing a stripper on your taskbar could be doing the exact same thing. Every piece of software in existence is "bordering" on a keylogger.

Anyway, this is a dumb think to be typing about.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

apati posted:

thank you.
if possible, can you make it with some on/off-feature.
sometime you do need to use doublespace ;)

Sorry this took so long, but try this. You'll need to keep the dll in the same directory as the exe file for it to work. Let me know if it does/doesn't do what you want, though you can also change the included sources yourself (see, no keylogging!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GosuProbe
Apr 14, 2008
I'm hoping something like this already exists and someone knows about it - I would imagine that it would be a pain in the rear end to just "make", and I wouldn't dare ask anyone.

Is there a program, online service, or anything else that I can point to my music folder and it will give me:
a) albums by artists that I don't have and
b) similar music (like Pandora/last.fm does)

I routinely get lots of music at once, but lapse several years in between, and can't be assed to follow new releases.

I guess it's a very lazyman's approach, but I was just thinking something would make it a little easier.

• Locked thread