Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

Obeying the directives of the justice system is one of the fundamental pillars of our society. You can't just say "no" to a court order, the check on this power is that a lawyer has to convince a judge to grant one

I was referring specifically to the "unending jail sentence" part. It just seems needlessly cruel and an unnecessary burden on tax payers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Can smoke alarms be triggered by steam?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Torka posted:

Yes. In the house where I grew up, there was a smoke alarm in the hallway right outside the bathroom and it was frequently set off by steamy showers.

Newer smoke alarms might be different, though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I live just outside DSL/Cable internet range.

What are the best options for internet access in rural areas.
I'd like decent speed, but don't want to pay out of my goon hole. Is there a sweet spot?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

PlasticPaddy posted:

I was referring specifically to the "unending jail sentence" part. It just seems needlessly cruel and an unnecessary burden on tax payers.

That's okay, I'm sure that in the case of a paternity test, they don't need to keep you in jail indefinitely - they can probably just compel you to provide it. There's lots of ways to get your DNA that don't exactly need your input.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 24, 2011

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kharmakazy posted:

I live just outside DSL/Cable internet range.

What are the best options for internet access in rural areas.
I'd like decent speed, but don't want to pay out of my goon hole. Is there a sweet spot?

Your best option is residential ISDN, call your phone company and see what they charge, should be between $50 and $70 a month. It's only 128k/128k but it's very reliable, and unlike satellite you'd be able to play online games on it thanks to low latency, and you can download as much as you want, unlike satellite which limits you to 200 megabytes per day usually.

Edit: I suppose I should point out that I have experience using it. My parents still live in a pretty lovely part of Kentucky, on dialup they could only manage 28.8k even. However, they've had ISDN for the past 10 years now and it's a solid always on, low latency 128k/128k connection. Their neighbors (who happen to be one of my best friend's parents) have satellite and while satellite is faster technically, when you're just browsing the web and especially iff you want to game online ISDN is much less laggy. And again, satellite is expensive and you can barely download anything per day before they cap your speeds to dialup speeds until the next 24 hour period, it super sucks. I don't live there anymore, but when I come back to visit I find ISDN works fine enough.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 24, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

Your best option is residential ISDN, call your phone company and see what they charge, should be between $50 and $70 a month. It's only 128k/128k but it's very reliable, and unlike satellite you'd be able to play online games on it thanks to low latency, and you can download as much as you want, unlike satellite which limits you to 200 megabytes per day usually.

Would that use up my phone line, or would I need a second line installed for it... or what?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kharmakazy posted:

Would that use up my phone line, or would I need a second line installed for it... or what?

There's many ways it can be done, but it doesn't use your phone line in the way that dial up or DSL does, so you won't have to worry about "hanging it up" to get a call or having to have DSL filters.

Most likely, you won't be paying for a separate line though.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

There's many ways it can be done, but it doesn't use your phone line in the way that dial up or DSL does, so you won't have to worry about "hanging it up" to get a call or having to have DSL filters.

Most likely, you won't be paying for a separate line though.

Looks like 200 install, and about 70 a month if its even available. Seems kind of steep for something about twice as fast as dial-up... I wonder if I can get some kind of discount since we have a shitload of other unnecessary phone services already...

So just satellite and this? any other options spring to mind. cellular is right out.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Kharmakazy posted:

Looks like 200 install, and about 70 a month if its even available. Seems kind of steep for something about twice as fast as dial-up... I wonder if I can get some kind of discount since we have a shitload of other unnecessary phone services already...

So just satellite and this? any other options spring to mind. cellular is right out.

Pretty much. Basically what you got is:

A: Dialup
- lol dialup

B: Satellite
- Starts at $60 a month for
* 1.0 Mbps down /200 Kbps up peak speeds, not guarenteed at all times
* Only 200 megabytes of data per day before your speeds are cut to half ISDN, so you'd be stuck with 64 kbps up and down until the daily reset.
* Minimum latency of 500 milliseconds thanks to the distance the signal travels. Gaming will be impossible beyond turn based games.
* You have to go up to $110 a month for top end service which is 3 mbps down / 300 kbps up peak performance and a 400 megabyte a day limit before rate limiting to 64 kilobits per second both ways. Same latency issue applies
* At the low package, you could only use full speed for 26 minutes and 40 seconds before you get cut down. At the high package it would be full speed for 17 minutes and 50 seconds.

C: ISDN
- Apparently $70 a month
* 128 kilobits down / 128 kilobits up at all times
* Unlimited usage, theoretically if you went full bore at all times you could do 1.3 gigabytes per day. Compare to satellite where you could do do only 200 megabytes + 662.5 megabytes per day (full speed plus spending the rest of the day at 64 k) or 400 megabytes + 666.6 megabytes for total of 1.04 gigabytes per day with the top package
* You will have extremely low latency, so it's great for online gaming actually.
* Obviously, no worries abut the service going out because it was too stormy and blocked the satellite.

Beyond this, your only other option would be paying a few thousand to a dozens of thousands of dollars to have cable internet or fiber internet run out to you.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

Pretty much. Basically what you got is:

A: Dialup
- lol dialup

B: Satellite
- Starts at $60 a month for
* 1.0 Mbps down /200 Kbps up peak speeds, not guarenteed at all times
* Only 200 megabytes of data per day before your speeds are cut to half ISDN, so you'd be stuck with 64 kbps up and down until the daily reset.
* Minimum latency of 500 milliseconds thanks to the distance the signal travels. Gaming will be impossible beyond turn based games.
* You have to go up to $110 a month for top end service which is 3 mbps down / 300 kbps up peak performance and a 400 megabyte a day limit before rate limiting to 64 kilobits per second both ways. Same latency issue applies
* At the low package, you could only use full speed for 26 minutes and 40 seconds before you get cut down. At the high package it would be full speed for 17 minutes and 50 seconds.

C: ISDN
- Apparently $70 a month
* 128 kilobits down / 128 kilobits up at all times
* Unlimited usage, theoretically if you went full bore at all times you could do 1.3 gigabytes per day. Compare to satellite where you could do do only 200 megabytes + 662.5 megabytes per day (full speed plus spending the rest of the day at 64 k) or 400 megabytes + 666.6 megabytes for total of 1.04 gigabytes per day with the top package
* You will have extremely low latency, so it's great for online gaming actually.
* Obviously, no worries abut the service going out because it was too stormy and blocked the satellite.

Beyond this, your only other option would be paying a few thousand to a dozens of thousands of dollars to have cable internet or fiber internet run out to you.

Thanks. That kind of sucks. People a mile up the road have cable and DSL.... maybe they will run lines out my way in the next few years.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

Thanks. That kind of sucks. People a mile up the road have cable and DSL.... maybe they will run lines out my way in the next few years.

Can you actually, directly, see their house?
Are they friends of yours?
With a direct line of sight and some simple modifications to cheap wireless equipment you can get a decent internet signal well over a mile.
A parabolic dish on the receiving end (an old primestar dish and a wireless bridge at your house) and a "shotgun" setup on the broadcast end (dipole antennae inside a tennis ball or pringles cylinder at their house, pointing at your house).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Torka posted:

As we learned my freshman year of college, they can also be triggered by a powdered sugar donut fight. Apparently the smoke detectors thought it was smoke. :science: I guess?

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Just recently I had to give up my job I had since early high school and realized I have never applied for a job before (the people I worked for actually hired me because they knew me personally). Are entry-level employers likely going to discriminate against me for looking young? I'm far above the legal age to work, but I know I look extremely young. I even have to go through dumb things such as giving proof-of-age when I buy an M-rated video game (17+). I just think that I have a much smaller chance of landing one of these jobs against someone who looks older than me-- I assume people don't like being served coffee and whatnot by someone who looks inexperienced and juvenile. :ohdear:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Fire In The Disco posted:

As we learned my freshman year of college, they can also be triggered by a powdered sugar donut fight. Apparently the smoke detectors thought it was smoke. :science: I guess?

Most smoke detectors use a focused beam of light projected onto a sensor. When anything particular crosses the path of the beam (such as smoke, steam or donut powder), it disrupts the beam and sets off the detector.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

the party god posted:

Just recently I had to give up my job I had since early high school and realized I have never applied for a job before (the people I worked for actually hired me because they knew me personally). Are entry-level employers likely going to discriminate against me for looking young? I'm far above the legal age to work, but I know I look extremely young. I even have to go through dumb things such as giving proof-of-age when I buy an M-rated video game (17+). I just think that I have a much smaller chance of landing one of these jobs against someone who looks older than me-- I assume people don't like being served coffee and whatnot by someone who looks inexperienced and juvenile. :ohdear:

If you're that paranoid just put your d.o.b on your resume even though you really shouldnt.

Here its illegal for someone to hire based on age and although it does happen if you've got a few years experience from your previous job then they'd have to be pretty dumb to think you're so young.

Its pretty easy to deduce from when you finished high school/college how old you are.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011

Fists Up posted:

If you're that paranoid just put your d.o.b on your resume even though you really shouldnt.

Here its illegal for someone to hire based on age and although it does happen if you've got a few years experience from your previous job then they'd have to be pretty dumb to think you're so young.

Its pretty easy to deduce from when you finished high school/college how old you are.

It's not that, really. I should clarify, it's not that I think they'll discriminate against me because they mistake my age, but rather they would discriminate against me for looking young enough as to make the customers feel weird about being served coffee/having a waitress that looks very young. I've been out with people who have mentioned offside that their waitress etc. looks too young to be there. I dunno, it's probably an irrational fear but I just wonder if employers would think about that.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

Wanna join that fight :allears:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Firefox 4, is there a single keystroke that'll take me to the address bar? In 3, I could use F6, which was handy. Yeah, I could use CTRL+L, but I'd rather just use one key.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

In Firefox 4, is there a single keystroke that'll take me to the address bar? In 3, I could use F6, which was handy. Yeah, I could use CTRL+L, but I'd rather just use one key.

A minor consolation is ALT+D

edit: F6 still works :confused:

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 24, 2011

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
What's the name of a psychological phenomenon where the mind "compartmentalizes" itself in response to trauma and such? It's often described by soldiers and rape victims and so forth, where they are able to remove themselves from the situation, and start considering it on moral or emotional levels only much later.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Dissociation.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I recently started using Reddit so I'm still kind of new to it. I've been upvoting threads(instead of saving them) I like so I could just go to them later in my "liked" menu.

I recall "liking" a lot of things but a lot of them seem to be gone in my liked menu. I'm especially looking for a thread where people would post interesting & useful links. I just went into my "liked" menu and it's no longer there. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find that thread again but it's gone. What the gently caress? Does Reddit delete certain threads for some reason? The specific thread I was looking for had at least 600 upvotes.

:confused:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

the party god posted:

It's not that, really. I should clarify, it's not that I think they'll discriminate against me because they mistake my age, but rather they would discriminate against me for looking young enough as to make the customers feel weird about being served coffee/having a waitress that looks very young. I've been out with people who have mentioned offside that their waitress etc. looks too young to be there. I dunno, it's probably an irrational fear but I just wonder if employers would think about that.

I look young too, so I can sympathize. Things that help me are wearing makeup and earrings, dressing professionally (like, button down shirt and very serious skirt or pants), and oddly getting a shorter haircut. I used to have super long hair, and having it bobbed to chin/shoulder length made me look much less like a 14 year old. I don't know if that applies to you, but it might help. Also, even if you have a "polite" voice that is a little higher than your normal voice, try to speak in your normal tone. That can go a long way.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Eyeball posted:

Dissociation.

That's it, thanks!

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
What's the name of a psychological phenomenon where after hearing something we hear it more often in common use.
Say I explained The Nothern Lights are also called Aurora Borialis, and in the next week or so you hear Aurora Borialis a couple of time.

I've actually been sitting on this question because I could not think of how to ask it and Micronium's use of "psychological phenomenon" works great.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ridonkulous posted:

What's the name of a psychological phenomenon where after hearing something we hear it more often in common use.
Say I explained The Nothern Lights are also called Aurora Borialis, and in the next week or so you hear Aurora Borialis a couple of time.

I've actually been sitting on this question because I could not think of how to ask it and Micronium's use of "psychological phenomenon" works great.

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is bandied about in this thread every ten pages or so, but Synchronicity and Recency Effect also apply.

My question: Is there a way in iTunes to make a smart playlist based on the number of songs by the artist (or other windows-compatible media player with exportable playlists)?

I have quite a few songs that are the only songs in my library by that artist, either due to them being from movie soundtracks, misspellings or random grabs from free offers via iTunes, amazon, the artist website, whatever. Being able to search "[Artist Match Count] [is less than] [3]" would be a boon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ridonkulous posted:

This is also considered to be a case of observer bias. It's not that you're hearing the word more, but noticing the word more now that you know what it means or it's fresh in memory.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
There isn't a song ID thread is there?

This is a bit of a long shot, so I'd be pretty amazed if someone could get this, but I'm looking for a song that came on my Jurassic 5 radio on Pandora yesterday.

Its old school rap song that is in similar style to Biz Markie and specifically the song Just a Friend (in fact, that song came on immediately after the one in question). It starts out with flutes/some sort of brass pipe backed by a beat and lasts throughout the song. The rapper actually mentions the flutes in the very beginning (Something along the lines of "what the hell these flutes about?").

and no, its not Jurassic 5 - "If You Only Knew". Its more old school than that.

Sorry for the vague description, it was a pretty awesome song and I for some reason didn't have the sense to look at who it was by. I figure anyone who listens to Jurassic 5 radio pretty regularly might know it as Pandora tends to repeat songs pretty often.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jeffrey Colon posted:

There isn't a song ID thread is there?

Right here

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Oh awesome, skipped right over that. I'll ask there as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SlightButSteady posted:

A minor consolation is ALT+D

edit: F6 still works :confused:

F6 only works for me when I don't have multiple tabs open. Otherwise, it just selects the current tab (or unselects it).

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

Can you actually, directly, see their house?
Are they friends of yours?
With a direct line of sight and some simple modifications to cheap wireless equipment you can get a decent internet signal well over a mile.
A parabolic dish on the receiving end (an old primestar dish and a wireless bridge at your house) and a "shotgun" setup on the broadcast end (dipole antennae inside a tennis ball or pringles cylinder at their house, pointing at your house).

Real rural, lots of tall trees inter spaced with farm land around my house. I don't know any of my neighbors personally anyhow. Interesting idea tho. thanks

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

hooah posted:

F6 only works for me when I don't have multiple tabs open. Otherwise, it just selects the current tab (or unselects it).

I have multiple tabs open and F6 still works for me.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

The Aphasian posted:

Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is bandied about in this thread every ten pages or so, but Synchronicity and Recency Effect also apply.

My question: Is there a way in iTunes to make a smart playlist based on the number of songs by the artist (or other windows-compatible media player with exportable playlists)?

ask here they know a lot about smartplay lists

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knightmare posted:

I have multiple tabs open and F6 still works for me.

Any idea what could be causing mine to not work properly, then? Or where a better place to find out might be?

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

What's a good mid range wireless router? The one I have sucks.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Ridonkulous posted:

ask here they know a lot about smartplay lists

Thanks. Kept searching myself and found Magic Nodes for mediamonkey. It's basically the best "smart playlist" thing I've ever seen. "Artist with 5 or fewer songs" was one of the demo nodes. Exported an m3u and imported back into itunes.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

hooah posted:

In Firefox 4, is there a single keystroke that'll take me to the address bar? In 3, I could use F6, which was handy.
This is something I didn't know, but now that I do... it doesn't work for me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
I came across a Leader LBO-515 oscilloscope on craigslist for $50. I know oscilloscopes can be super expensive, and I'm wondering if I can grab this one and resell it for some good money. I can't find much info about this particular model or how much it goes for in retail, so I'm wondering if I'd be paying $50 for an oscilloscope I could only sell for $40. What do you guys think, should I go for it?