Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had a post all typed up, but instead will say to listen to Foxhound at all costs. Edit: which is to say, look at his post, now that it is on the last page:

Foxhound posted:

It's fun, but it's buggy as all hell. Check this site out, they have done some pretty major changes to the game with fanpatches and such. I just got it myself so I can't comment on much else though.

http://www.co8.org/forum/

Temple of Elemental Evil was probably the first PC role-playing game I ever just quit playing out of profound disinterest about half-way through (I even forced myself to beat Lionheart just so I could say I did). The fan patches are often said to restore/breathe in all new life to the game, providing the impetus necessary to convince you that there is any reason to keep going once you are jumped by another random assortment of random enemies after spending hours trying in vain to find anyone anywhere in the game to give-* you a compelling plot hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarrik
Oct 22, 2005

The devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
the devil inside

Quarex posted:

I had a post all typed up, but instead will say to listen to Foxhound at all costs. Edit: which is to say, look at his post, now that it is on the last page:

Temple of Elemental Evil was probably the first PC role-playing game I ever just quit playing out of profound disinterest about half-way through (I even forced myself to beat Lionheart just so I could say I did). The fan patches are often said to restore/breathe in all new life to the game, providing the impetus necessary to convince you that there is any reason to keep going once you are jumped by another random assortment of random enemies after spending hours trying in vain to find anyone anywhere in the game to give-* you a compelling plot hook.

Thanks, I grabbed this and from the looks of the release notes I'm glad that I did.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Gray Stormy posted:

I snagged Nier last night on the way home from work. Im a couple of hours in and Im enjoying it so for. Anything I should focus on doing/not doing?

Staying out of the LP thread has been priority one. :v:

Turn it to hard when you unlock spears because that's the only way to give anything else a chance.

You can hit the bullet hell orbs that bosses shoot at you to refill your magic bar, which can be helpful since you'll be doing the meat of damage against bosses with it.

No, it doesn't get any happier. No matter how much depressing poo poo happens, rest assured that Cavia will top it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Anything I should know before starting Deathspank?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Monicro posted:

Turn it to hard when you unlock spears because that's the only way to give anything else a chance.

You can hit the bullet hell orbs that bosses shoot at you to refill your magic bar, which can be helpful since you'll be doing the meat of damage against bosses with it.

No, it doesn't get any happier. No matter how much depressing poo poo happens, rest assured that Cavia will top it.

I just passed the halfway point and I went back to using the Beastbain 1h sword from the first half because it hits in an arc in front of the character instead of just directly in front like the spear does. What am I missing here?

It's actually a polearm, are you talking about a different weapon? Also, is Dark Wall useful? I don't see what it does exactly.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I got Operation Flashpoint years ago but the fiddliness of the controls put me off, is there a way to set it to have the usual fixed mouselook instead of that floaty thing it does? What else should I know about it? It came with both the expansions too.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Dramatika posted:

Anything I should know before starting Deathspank?

Blocking is very useful.

Don't be afraid of using up your consumable potions & weapons, you pick up plenty.

Try to use your weapons in rotation (i.e. try not to attack twice in a row with the same weapon) to build up a multiplier. This does more damage and fills up your justice meter for the justice weapon you have equipped (purple ones that do special attacks).

You generally don't have to worry too much about cash and it didn't seem that useful to me.

There are two quest givers (one is a talking tree near a lumber camp, the other is a zombie or something next to an orque camp near the castle at the end). From memory, all the items they ask for are very close by and easy to find, either in the lumber camp for the tree, or the orque camp for the zombie. Don't waste your fortune cookies on these quests (I used up a few :()

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
About to play Extermination for PS2. Anything I should know?

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Jolo posted:

I just passed the halfway point and I went back to using the Beastbain 1h sword from the first half because it hits in an arc in front of the character instead of just directly in front like the spear does. What am I missing here?

It's actually a polearm, are you talking about a different weapon? Also, is Dark Wall useful? I don't see what it does exactly.

Spears are entire class of weapons (the other two being 1H and 2H "swords"). You can tell what class a weapon is by looking through your inventory. The initial spear isn't obviously unbalanced, but later ones are much faster than 2H swords and only slightly less damaging.

What you're missing is that spears become insanely unfair when you stop pressing X and start pressing Y (special attack). Instead of the normal thrust you instantly do a fast forward lunge that breaks through guard in one or two hits, knocks off tons of armor, and knocks enemies off their feet. It also hits a much wider and deeper cone in front of you than the standard thrust, so you can reliably hit a huge number of guys at once with it. You can do it from the air if you want, and it will move you in the process so ranged enemies will almost always miss. You can do this as often as you want with no restrictions. Basic enemies become trivial no matter how many dozens of them the game throws at you, and even most bosses will just melt in front of you.

The spear lunge also keeps you moving forward, unlike the swords, so you can keep killing enemies and move toward your goal at the same time. Even if you're not in a fight you can rotate between lunging and rolling to cut down on travel time.

Everything about spears is entirely unfair once you understand how to use them.

Khurath fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 18, 2011

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Jolo posted:

Khurath's explanation for spears is great, so I won't bother with that, but I will say that Dark Wall is right there with Dark Gluttony as by far the two worst abilities in the game. I just roll with Dark Lance and Dark Phantasm most of the time.

Edit: VVV Yeah, gently caress that room. I lost all enthusiasm for that dungeon the 50th time I got halfway through only to nudge the analogue stick a millimeter too far and watched Nier break into a mad dash.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 18, 2011

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Awesome. Thanks for the info, guys. Nier is a pretty excellent game so far. The only bit I've gotten annoyed with is the room where you couldn't run.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

blackguy32 posted:

About to play Extermination for PS2. Anything I should know?
I don't remember much about that game except that I really enjoyed it, and now you make me want to try it again.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I'm forcing myself to sit down and beat dragon age origins with a new character. Is there a general consensus on who the best companions are and what classes are fun?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Carnival Rider posted:

I'm forcing myself to sit down and beat dragon age origins with a new character. Is there a general consensus on who the best companions are and what classes are fun?

Are you a mage? It doesn't matter who you pick but I guess Alistair for tanking, Sten for raw damage, and Leliana/Wynn for support.

Are you anything but a mage? Respec Wynn or Morigan and keep them in your party. Perhaps both.

Jarrik
Oct 22, 2005

The devil inside
The devil inside
Every single one of us
the devil inside

Carnival Rider posted:

If you're playing on a console, mage can be somewhat frustrating due to the camera system. As for companions, Leliana seemed worthless to me but others may have found her useful. I think you can pretty much fill the gaps you need with the different characters and be fine, it's not that hard. If you want good banter, Alistair and Morrigan are pretty good. Sten and Dog are also very funny.

Sushipants
Sep 8, 2010

Carnival Rider posted:

My conclusions after a couple playthroughs:
- Sten is better than Oghren. At everything.
- Leliana is going to be picking pretty much every lock you see. (Unless you're the rogue in the group)
- Wynne = heals
- Morrigan is a hateful bitch.
- You don't need any other companions that aren't Shale or Dog.
- ...but Alistair does have some funny comments now and again.
- Magic is a bit overpowered in this game, but a three mage party at higher levels is LOADS of fun.
- Archery is a disappointment. Stab people instead.
- Probably had the most fun with a dual-wielding rogue. Once you get to around lvl 20 or so, you're virtually untouchable and you murder the piss out of everything, very quickly. Mages are fun too. Warriors are boring.
- My favorite backgrounds were Dwarf commoner and human noble (Noble background ties you better to the main story and gives you some special options for the epilogue).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This isn't for the first time but I have Knights of the Old Republic on PC and I'm wondering if anyone has good mod ideas to make it fresh again.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sushipants posted:

- Probably had the most fun with a dual-wielding rogue. Once you get to around lvl 20 or so, you're virtually untouchable and you murder the piss out of everything, very quickly. Mages are fun too. Warriors are boring.

To build on this, if you have Leliana's Song DLC, complete it with the leather armor bits so you get the special carryover item from it. Once you have 20 strength, you can use it and it's insanely powerful.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the singleplayer? Mostly looking for what I need to know storywise from AC2. I got about 3/4 through before dropping it, last thing I did was the flying machine mission. So what happens to Ezio and Desmond at the end?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, the singleplayer? Mostly looking for what I need to know storywise from AC2. I got about 3/4 through before dropping it, last thing I did was the flying machine mission. So what happens to Ezio and Desmond at the end?

Oh man, the end is the best part of the game, you missed out. If you still have that save, I honestly recommend picking up where you left off, it's awesome (you can easily skip the DLC, though).

If not, then here are :siren:MAJOR AC2 ENDING SPOILERS:siren:

So, you work to replace the doge of Venice with someone more friendly to you, and other than Rodrigo Borgia, you finish off the rest of the conspirators with the help of Bartolomeo d'Alviano, a badass mercenary leader. Then you find out about the Apple, a piece of eden (if you've played AC1, you know they're magical artifacts that can control the wills of people and do other stuff). You steal the apple from Borgia, but he gets away when you try to kill him. Almost everyone who have helped you out along the way reveal themselves to be Assassins, along with Machiavelli out of nowhere. Ezio is revealed to be a prophet the codec pages talk about, and only he can access "the vault". The codec pages assembled show a map of the world with the Vault's location highlighted, in Rome. The DLC happens, which is for the most part nothing important (Forli was attacked, and you repelled them, and you stopped some book burning in Florence). Rodrigo Borgia becomes the Pope, and you go to the Vatican to assassinate him. After sneaking in, an epic battle commences between you and the Pope, who fights using his magical papal staff, which is also a piece of eden, and you fight by using the apple to create mirror images of yourself (a callback to AC1's end fight). He narrowly defeats you, takes the apple, and combines it with his staff and tries to open the Vault. Ezio stops him, but spares his life, and enters the vault himself, where he's greeted by a hologram of Minerva, the goddess. She, along with her brethren, once inhabited Earth alongside man, and created an advanced civilization. Eventually, war broke out between the two sides and a great catastrophe wiped out civilization and Minerva's race. She then starts talking directly to Desmond through the Animus, much to Ezio's confusion, and tells Desmond that another catastrophe is about to happen, something to do with the sun frying everything, and that only he can stop it by finding all the secret temples the old gods left behind. Desmond says "what the gently caress?" and at that instance, Abstergo breaks into their cell and they have to fight their way out and run away. The game ends there.

That's all from memory, but I think it covers everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 19, 2011

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Make sure you get your poo poo together before sequence 7. After that is the point of no return.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

OilSlick posted:

Make sure you get your poo poo together before sequence 7. After that is the point of no return.

Not really, since you can run around in Free Run mode after you beat the game. But yeah, if you want to do everything the "canon" way (ACB literally picks up immediately where AC2 left off) then you should tie up all of your loose ends before then.

Edit: VVV Looks like I'm the dumb one. I just kinda skimmed his post, and I thought that he was asking for tips for both 2 and Brotherhood :downs:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2011

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Monicro posted:

Not really, since you can run around in Free Run mode after you beat the game. But yeah, if you want to do everything the "canon" way (ACB literally picks up immediately where AC2 left off) then you should tie up all of your loose ends before then.

I mean in Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Sorry, should have specified I guess.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Correction, the point of no-return for ACB is the first story memory of Sequence 8, "kill Cesare and Rodrigo... again". At the start of Sequence 8 you're still in free-roam mode when Vaticano District is unlocked, allowing you to grab any/all of the flags, the final assassination contracts, the treasure chests, and the final Lair of Romulus -- making this your only chance to acquire the Armor of Brutus and the Dagger of Brutus before the point of no return.

Note though that all of the non-Animus stuff, taking place in 2012, is "point of no return." Replaying any of it will require a new save file.

As for what you had to know about AC1's conclusion... very little, except that Desmond's case of the Bleeding Effect first appeared after the final memory of AC1, with him manifesting Eagle Vision -- and the "symbols" at the beginning of AC2 are the previous Animus user's blood viewed in Eagle Vision. ACB opens with a great TL;DR take on AC1 and AC2, and Ezio recaps the conclusion of his portion of AC2 after returning from Vatican.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

blakout posted:

This isn't for the first time but I have Knights of the Old Republic on PC and I'm wondering if anyone has good mod ideas to make it fresh again.

Try

Brotherhood of Shadow

and

Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge

Aratoeldar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 20, 2011

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

On the site it looks like Solomon's Revenge is the updated version of the first one. Doesn't look like you need both.

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense

Dr Snofeld posted:

I got Operation Flashpoint years ago but the fiddliness of the controls put me off, is there a way to set it to have the usual fixed mouselook instead of that floaty thing it does? What else should I know about it? It came with both the expansions too.

Enjoy it. In terms of immersion, this game is a gem. I don't know about the mouse thingy, but the "floaty thing" is part of the game.

- Cover
- Scout for enemies
- Be careful
- Use you binoculars (The only game where I've used binoculars, except Crysis.)
- Protect your teammates

This is a game that rewards immersion. Never played the expansions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dr Snofeld posted:

I usually set my Optics to Mouse 2 which makes you aim down the iron sights, it gets rid of that floatiness at least while you are aiming.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just got Vanquish on the cheap, and while I'm really having a blast so far, it really seems like there's a lot I'm missing, especially regarding weapon upgrades.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

I just got Vanquish on the cheap, and while I'm really having a blast so far, it really seems like there's a lot I'm missing, especially regarding weapon upgrades.

Weapons upgrade by either collecting a full weapon upgrade item which is a rarer drop and immediately boosts the weapon a full level or by, when at maximum ammo, picking a duplicate of the carried weapon which partially moves you towards a level up.

Dropping weapons and switching them does not cause the level to drop, any weapon you pick up will be of the last level that weapon had achieved.

Boost. Boost always. Boost forever. If you aren't boosting something is probably going wrong. You can play the game like a cover shooter and there are times where it is useful to do so, but keep in mind the game is designed around boosting and murder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If one of your squadmates goes down, revive them and they'll give you a weapon drop. Look for the green + sign over their heads.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've added those tips on Vanquish to the wiki. If there are more, keep them coming and they'll be added.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anything I should know for Final Fantasy 3 (the One originally for NES)? I just bought the rerelease for iPhone, and my only experience was trying a fan translation years ago.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FF III

Not long after obtaining the Scholar job there is a dungeon where they really want you to use a Scholar for the boss (since it keeps changing it's elemental weakness). However, don't make the mistake of turning your Black Mage into a Scholar. Have either both of them represented or just the Black Mage.

And that's pretty much the only thing I remember from that game... besides Dark Knights being awesome.
Edit: The Thief "Steal" command gives you common items 99% of the time. The exception is Odin, from which you can steal the Gungnir. You need a high level Thief to actually succeed in stealing it from him and I don't know why you'd want to level someone as a Thief that much.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 24, 2011

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Does Borderlands on the PS Store come with all the DLC or would I have to buy that seperately?

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Unless it says it's the GOTY edition, it comes separately. I bought the game through the PS3 store and had to buy each DLC individually.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Astfgl posted:

Unless it says it's the GOTY edition, it comes separately. I bought the game through the PS3 store and had to buy each DLC individually.
Lame

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Orvin posted:

Anything I should know for Final Fantasy 3 (the One originally for NES)? I just bought the rerelease for iPhone, and my only experience was trying a fan translation years ago.

Dammit I thought you meant Final Fantasy VI, with Kefka, Terra, the Espers, etc. I did pick up Final Fantasy I based on seeing this though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

You can kinda game the upgrade system a bit in Vanquish. Hopefully I can explain this where it makes sense:

You get a weapon upgrade if you pick up the same weapon while you have full ammo.

If you're running around with an assault rifle w/ around half ammo and you find an assault rifle pickup you can either pick it up which refills the ammo OR you can find another weapon pickup to swap out your non full ammo assault rifle, pick up the assault rifle pickup which will give you an assault rifle with full ammo THEN go pick up your original assault rifle which will upgrade it by one level because your equipped gun has full ammo.

Basically instead of picking up a gun and refilling your ammo, you swap the gun out, pick up the full ammo gun, then pick up your old gun to get a free upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

omnibobb posted:

Lame

Yep. I was with a friend at Walmart about a week ago and he picked up the GOTY edition for $30. That was what the base game cost me on the PS3 store.

So buy the actual game if possible.