Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I saw that but I can't imagine why Square-Enix could English localize a game made by a company that no longer exists and only release it in Japan entirely for their budget line-up. I think it's just going to be an English manual or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

They just took the English audio track from Gestalt and played it over the dialog in Replicant.

Nier's weird now.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Crappy Jack posted:

Nier's even weirder now.

fixed

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's because of playing ICO, but I saw the ending of Nier from a mile away and stopped playing it around 80% through. After reading the endings I'm glad I did.

It's a pretty decent game with an amazing soundtrack, but it didn't shock me, I hated Kaine and Grimoire Weiss is the only character I actually cared for. Maybe I suck =(

I don't care for cursing or outlandish clothing on characters in games it just seems like "trying to be adult, but really being childish" I would be embarassed to play Nier in front of another adult. I would think it were cool if I was 14 again maybe.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I saw that but I can't imagine why Square-Enix could English localize a game made by a company that no longer exists and only release it in Japan entirely for their budget line-up. I think it's just going to be an English manual or something.

Yeah, I'm dubious, but word on the GameFAQs board (truly a source of absolute wisdom) was that Play Asia confirmed it would have English text in-game and not just the manual. And it's not entirely unbelievable; I've seen other games offer English subs when they get the Asia release, so holding out hope.

Mostly I just want to believe. The language barrier is the only thing keeping me from importing RepliCant right this second. I may have a problem.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NonsenseWords posted:

Yeah, I'm dubious, but word on the GameFAQs board (truly a source of absolute wisdom) was that Play Asia confirmed it would have English text in-game and not just the manual. And it's not entirely unbelievable; I've seen other games offer English subs when they get the Asia release, so holding out hope.

Mostly I just want to believe. The language barrier is the only thing keeping me from importing RepliCant right this second. I may have a problem.

A lot of the games that have English translations for their Asian releases are games published originally by SCEJ but didn't receive an English Blu-ray release, which is what SCE Hong Kong does. Ape Escape On The Move!, Aquanaut's Holiday, Demon's Souls, SIREN: New Translation, and Toro! Let's Party are examples of this. I think Railfan: Taiwan High Speed Rail might have been SCEJ too.

I'm just not putting a lot of faith in it, especially because I don't want to buy Replicant a second god drat time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

A lot of the games that have English translations for their Asian releases are games published originally by SCEJ but didn't receive an English Blu-ray release, which is what SCE Hong Kong does. Ape Escape On The Move!, Aquanaut's Holiday, Demon's Souls, SIREN: New Translation, and Toro! Let's Party are examples of this. I think Railfan: Taiwan High Speed Rail might have been SCEJ too.

I'm just not putting a lot of faith in it, especially because I don't want to buy Replicant a second god drat time.

You're going to do it. Don't lie to yourself.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Triple Platinum, Triple Platinum, Triple Platinum!

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Technique posted:

Triple Platinum, Triple Platinum, Triple Platinum!

Triple Platinum Replicant LP with video evidence. Oh, and you can't mess with the system clock for those stupid moonflowers.

It's my hope if the suggestion is outlandish enough we can save Policenaut from Policenaut.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

That Rough Beast posted:

Triple Platinum Replicant LP with video evidence. Oh, and you can't mess with the system clock for those stupid moonflowers.

It's my hope if the suggestion is outlandish enough we can save Policenaut from Policenaut.

You're talking about a fellow who got a Platinum on this game twice. That is well beyond hope of being saved.

vvvvv
This does not preclude you from also being insane.

Although that guy is... wow. Words cannot express.

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You know there's a dude in my Demon's Souls thread who has like 3 Platinums of that game right? Now that's loving crazy.

...Then again someone in the LP thread did ask me to LP Replicant. Oh well, I have no capture stuff or a good computer to do it with :v:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As crazy as getting Platinum in Nier is, it's the closest game I have to Platinum (77%). Of course, if you go for all 4 endings, getting all of the time trial trophies is incredibly easy.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i decided to check out Recycled Vessel since i just did a speedrun for the Lightspeed Fighter achievement anyway.

Jesus christ it sucks. Badly. Playing as brother Nier is a neat novelty and all, but the color filters overstay their welcome after, oh i dunno, the first fight. The fights themselves are incredibly tedious and boring, and the music is poo poo. And then they give you Drakengard-inspired weapons, but not Caim's sword or anything else that would actually be cool - instead you get the Ugliest Weapons (In The World).

What a disappointment. A real shame too, because it did appear that they made an attempt to be reasonably creative with the stuff they put in in.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Hal Incandenza posted:

OK, I'll just skip the plat and take my time on the first run. I don't care about trophies that much, it's just when I get 90% of them I always feel a little cheated I didn't do something simple to get those last 2 trophies, but I'd way rather enjoy what seems to be such a unique game.

What?! I will incessantly badger you and make you feel bad about yourself until you get that plat!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nah, it's cool you can drop it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Technique posted:

So i decided to check out Recycled Vessel since i just did a speedrun for the Lightspeed Fighter achievement anyway.

Jesus christ it sucks. Badly. Playing as brother Nier is a neat novelty and all, but the color filters overstay their welcome after, oh i dunno, the first fight. The fights themselves are incredibly tedious and boring, and the music is poo poo.
Excuse me, I think you'll find the music is awesome. :colbert:

So awesome that they released a second soundtrack, in fact.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well, I just started playing this and well

This is certainly a game. I don't know how much I like it just yet but I like the combat so far. I like the throwbacks to other games and the non-typical jrpg stylings.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Veotax posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find the music is awesome. :colbert:

So awesome that they released a second soundtrack, in fact.

It's just generic techno beats with vocals from the normal OST on top, though???

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Play-asia changed the listing to Language: Japanese

Cancelled my pre-order.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just finished this game and had some random questions.

I did almost all the quests in the first half, but skipped almost all of them in the second. Are there any paticular noteworthy ones worth doing in subsequent playthroughs? I know there are a couple that have weapon rewards, but I'm talking more along the lines of interesting party banter.

I heard the new game+ has added story content, but is it all just stories told in text?

What's the deal with hard mode? I started it up and found that it takes like 10 hits to kill a drat sheep. Is the added "difficulty" just making all the enemies have ridiculous health?

E: oh also, what's the DLC like?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Volitaire posted:

Just finished this game and had some random questions.

I did almost all the quests in the first half, but skipped almost all of them in the second. Are there any paticular noteworthy ones worth doing in subsequent playthroughs? I know there are a couple that have weapon rewards, but I'm talking more along the lines of interesting party banter.

I heard the new game+ has added story content, but is it all just stories told in text?

What's the deal with hard mode? I started it up and found that it takes like 10 hits to kill a drat sheep. Is the added "difficulty" just making all the enemies have ridiculous health?

E: oh also, what's the DLC like?

- Just take every quest you see and do the ones which don't sound like a hassle. If you're just looking for quest materials you could probably get everything you need from the Junk Heap within a couple hours with the item drop +% Words, though.

- The second loop adds that text section but also adds new cutscenes to pretty much every part of the game and is basically the other half of the story.

- Yeah, that's pretty much Hard in a nutshell.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Volitaire posted:

The most exciting thing I found about NewGame+ was that you could (you personally, not the main character) get subtitles on all the Shade conversation/chatter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sputnik posted:

The most exciting thing I found about NewGame+ was that you could (you personally, not the main character) get subtitles on all the Shade conversation/chatter.

Yeah, this is the part that pretty much makes the second play through worth it. Don't skip cutscenes!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Play-Asia emailed everyone who preordered Replicant Greatest Hits to let them know it's not in English at all. Bought the Siren: New Translation art book instead.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New Translation owns so good job.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah I really enjoyed it. My wife got me the Press Kit for it for my birthday one year. So awesome.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So I thought that the DLC allowed you too play as Brother Nier? Is it just for the actual DLC levels? I'm kinda disappointed in it since they took some decent challenge levels and hosed them all up with those eye gouging colors.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 28, 2011

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
This has been an very enlightening thread. I've been following the Dark Id playthrough which is very entertaining, but I had already suspected Cavia would make this a great big screw-you game designed to appeal chiefly to emotional masochists- which I am not. I nearly bought this, and the Id's playthrough nearly got me to do so again... But no, I'm glad to have spoiled this for myself and thank all who made it possible.

It's not some epic of misunderstanding, it is quite simply the work of a sadistic game maker who did the best they could (since releasing a PS3/USB attachment that slowly drives needles under your nails wasn't going to be legal in any country and far harder to sell) to inflict suffering. Deleting all of your work as part of a game's ending was really nothing more than a glorious final massive upraised middle finger to you the buyer as well and confirmed that Cavia wasn't simply exhibiting poor taste but were really doing all they could to convey their deep and abiding hatred of you personally.

Earnestly. Sincerely. Not in jest.

I can't imagine why Cavia tanked.

Still enjoying Dark Id's excellent LP though. Particularly for not being the one to endure the game directly. We need to take a donation to get that poor guy a free stay at a high quality mental facility to recover at the end.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The Snark posted:

This has been an very enlightening thread. I've been following the Dark Id playthrough which is very entertaining, but I had already suspected Cavia would make this a great big screw-you game designed to appeal chiefly to emotional masochists- which I am not. I nearly bought this, and the Id's playthrough nearly got me to do so again... But no, I'm glad to have spoiled this for myself and thank all who made it possible.

It's not some epic of misunderstanding, it is quite simply the work of a sadistic game maker who did the best they could (since releasing a PS3/USB attachment that slowly drives needles under your nails wasn't going to be legal in any country and far harder to sell) to inflict suffering. Deleting all of your work as part of a game's ending was really nothing more than a glorious final massive upraised middle finger to you the buyer as well and confirmed that Cavia wasn't simply exhibiting poor taste but were really doing all they could to convey their deep and abiding hatred of you personally.

Still enjoying Dark Id's excellent LP though. Particularly for not being the one to endure the game directly. We need to take a donation to get that poor guy a free stay at a high quality mental facility to recover at the end.

My only experience with Cavia is Nier and Drakengarde, but I like to think that they tackle certain themes with their games. With Drakengarde, it was insanity and violence. With Nier it's depression and hopelessness. Frankly, I think that's really cool, and they pull it off beautifully.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

My only experience with Cavia is Nier and Drakengarde, but I like to think that they tackle certain themes with their games. With Drakengarde, it was insanity and violence. With Nier it's depression and hopelessness. Frankly, I think that's really cool, and they pull it off beautifully.

Only with those two, really. Cavia's main fare consisted of shovelware and spinoffs of wildly varying quality. They did have Bullet Witch or whatever it was called, but that had the trolling and janky gameplay without the thematic brilliance, so it rightly bombed.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Do you guys have any tips for the wall crawling boss who is immune to physical attacks? I can get its HP to 0, but I don't seem to have enough magic power to finish it off before the clock runs out.

Jesus Toast
Sep 30, 2005

Ghost Head posted:

Do you guys have any tips for the wall crawling boss who is immune to physical attacks? I can get its HP to 0, but I don't seem to have enough magic power to finish it off before the clock runs out.

Get good at aiming Dark Blast and just rapid-fire it rather than holding the button. The shots come out at full power and usually do a pretty good job of wiping out the finisher meter. Equip whatever weapon you have with the highest magic stat along with any magic increasing words. And make sure to skip all related cutscenes and finishing animations to buy yourself time for the achievement/trophy.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Ghost Head posted:

Do you have any of the items that power magic up?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys. Come to think of it, I think I do have a spirit drop or whatever they're called.

I don't think I'll skip the cutscenes though because it's my first time through and I really couldn't give a poo poo about achievements anyway.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

The Snark posted:

I think your impression is pretty mistaken. I mean the game is pretty oppressive emotionally, and there's plenty of pointless sidequests to pursue if you want to, but the worst you can levy against the core gameplay is that it's vaguely bland. It's not painful to play through in the same way, for example, that Drakengard is. That is raw tedium so bad that the insane story can't really sustain it.

As for the final ending,it really doesn't play as a gently caress you. It's not really a dick move. Well, it is, but they warn you. They warn you literally five times. If you get that ending, it's because you really, really asked for it.

That Rough Beast fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 29, 2011

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Probably should spoil that about the last ending, ya'll.

By the time I went to go for the D ending I was pretty much DONE with the game. I was ready to move on. Having the saves deleted was almost cathartic, really.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Come to think of it, I think I do have a spirit drop or whatever they're called.

I don't think I'll skip the cutscenes though because it's my first time through and I really couldn't give a poo poo about achievements anyway.

Given that the particular boss not only (a) precedes one of the best cutscenes in the game but (b) does not actually have a a time-trial achievement attached to it, yes. Best not to skip it.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Well I finished it. It is easily the best boar-drifting game out there. I'm not even kidding. I don't have such a high opinion of the rest of the game though. It's a pretty good case for why you don't see many 3D bullet hell shooters and Nier himself handles like a shopping trolley which doesn't comport well with huge mobs of bullet spamming enemies. The story was quite good, though not good enough to stop me from adding the "for a video game" disclaimer and Weiss was great.

It seemed oddly placed at times. Something extremely dire would happen and then get resolved almost immediately and there were times where it almost seemed like a scene was missing. The one that comes to mind immediately is when you finish Emil's house and Kaine tells him not to be ashamed of his eyes. Well at that point in the game he hadn't shown any shame. He warned you not to come too close and then explained his condition matter-of-factly. It seems like somewhere between these 2 scenes was one where Emil agonised over it or something.

The boss fights were pretty awesome, but some of them were hugely frustrating, mostly because of the camera. The one in the village who punches the ground and sends shcokwaves everywhere while you get attacked from all angles by shades was really annoying for this reason, but oddly enough, a very similar situation occurs in the Aerie later in the game and instead, the game pulls the camera back and shows you the whole field, making it infinitely less frustrating. That was probably the best sequence in the game, by the way. The battle with the eye monster at the Aerie and the entire scenario surrounding the attack on the wolves in the desert was great.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

When you say that you finished it, did you get all four endings? It flushes out the story substantially in all directions.

Also, something I learned relatively late in playthrough #1: Block absorbs practically all projectiles, and with a little practice, jumping over shockwaves is trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, it really should be hammered into the ground by this point, but you haven't actually beaten NIER until you get ending B, at the very least.

• Locked thread