Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
So season 3 uses the same control scheme as Tales of MOnkey Island?
That is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
And there's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 completed, reasonably fun though it has some glaring flaws (like it's love of placing enemies right round a corner with a shotgun, who have superhuman reflexes and one shot you before you react, or toggle crouch). Current Backlog - probably going to knock off Monkey Island 2 next.

EDIT: Decided to go with Torchlight, onward Del the Alchemist and his Dog, Rodney.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 19, 2011

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Can you please explain your experiences with Homefront please?

Short campaign (less than 4 hours), full of scripted crap... sometimes your next objective won't start until you're standing in the exact spot. Full of following a leader, COD style (which is ok I guess, I'm just getting tired of the concept). Your teammate AI is braindead stupid, and more often than not you're jockeying for cover. They rarely help you and are nothing more than a waste of space. Enemy AI loves to hide in corners of houses (campers!), which wouldn't be a problem if you could shoot through cover (you can't). SP is awfully short, and they take a decent concept, enemy occupation of america, and do literally nothing with it. It's a hodgepodge of objectives only loosely tied together.

As far as the multiplayer... well it's ok. It's kind of a love or hate thing. I hate it because most games degenerate into a sniper campfest. Every gun is essentially a laser gun, and all the weapons are hitscan (if you snipe somebody across the map, all you have to do click their head and they're dead... no bullet travel or drop to worry about). Every gun is deadly accurate with little recoil. Maps are a mess, and Homefront's main MP mode, Ground Control, is a loving mess.

Ground control is loosely based on a combination of BF's conquest and rush mode. Hold a majority of points (conquest style), and eventually the map will shift to a new set of points (rush style). Which is ok, but it'll only ever happen twice in a match, and it's not that interesting.

For all that, the MP has some interesting ideas. You don't have to be the best player to get all the cool toys. You can save up your Battle Points that you accumulate for doing certain things (capturing objectives, spotting, assists, kills, etc) and redeem them for air strikes, helicopters, tanks, etc. It's a nice mechanic that's surprisingly balanced well, as I haven't seen a match where there's too many vehicles yet. The downside though, is that if you're not a great player, the match will likely be over or near over by the time you have enough points for anything.

It's not a completely bad game by any stretch, it's just not at all worth the $50. At $20, it would've been completely worth it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Finished the first ep of season 2 of Sam and Max. The improvement over the first season is tremendous, will hopefully finish another ep today. Or tomorrow. In any case, it will be less of a chore than the first 3 eps of season 1 (the last 3 were pretty entertaining even with the abysmal movement speed).

Feels a bit more like Sam and Max hit the Road, somehow. That is a good thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

Homefront

Cheers ty, might just pick it up on the 360 trading a few games so i get it for like 10€.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
So, I've finished Bully and gotten through some indie games in the mean time - VVVVVV, And Yet it Moves and Jolly Rover. All were quite fun in their own way, and I'd especially recommend Jolly Rover to anyone who likes point-and-click adventure games. It's short and not terribly hard, but it's usually super cheap during a big Steam sale. I also finished up the main campaign on Just Cause 2, but I'm still going for some of the Steam achievements. That game is too much fun when modded.

Right now I'm working on Mirror's Edge, but I'm not feeling it so far. Maybe I'm just not used to the controls yet, but it feels like I'm getting a lot of cheap deaths because half the time the game doesn't recognize when I'm trying to grab something.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Thewittyname posted:

Right now I'm working on Mirror's Edge, but I'm not feeling it so far. Maybe I'm just not used to the controls yet, but it feels like I'm getting a lot of cheap deaths because half the time the game doesn't recognize when I'm trying to grab something.

No, that's often the reason you die. The worst thing about that game are the several areas where you have no idea how to get somewhere and it's usually some tiny little edge or object that's well hidden or you would never guess was the solution.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Thewittyname posted:

I had this problem when I first started playing, my dude (chick) started refusing to grab things altogether, and wouldn't vault over things either. After restarting the program it went away and the game was pretty easy.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Shovelmint posted:

I had this problem when I first started playing, my dude (chick) started refusing to grab things altogether, and wouldn't vault over things either. After restarting the program it went away and the game was pretty easy.

I had the most trouble with that in Chapter 1, honestly. The last jump - riding the zipline into the ceiling while the gunship is cresting the horizon - I swear is buggy. I had to be facing just so before I jumped or I wouldn't go the way I was supposed to.

There are three other physics things that were surprising and that if you don't get them they'll just brickwall you, though, and that I think were intended. (Spoilers indicate the places in the game where knowing this is crucial to progress.)

You can strafe when you're sliding down a steep surface. Needed on level 1.

You can aim your jumps after a wallrun: jumping forward off a wallrun gets you further than a straight wallrun will. This is first absolutely necessary around level 5, but if you take advantage of this, level 1 gets a lot easier.

Most questionable, possibly a bug: if you land right next to a vaultable rail you will autovault it. Makes a chunk of level 8 infuriating, because Faith keeps autovaulting into 80-foot plummets. You'll know it when you see it; aim for walls.

ETA: Destroyed the Revelation virus, which I'm going to call beating Uplink. I'm supposed to be playing Half-Life 2, but I can't bring myself to care enough to actually make that be the sole game I play. Europa Universalis III, which was supposed to be next, crashed on me in the tutorial, so I may as well bow to the wisdom of the thread and queue up Batman: Arkham Asylum to replace it.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 20, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Update:

Beat
Mafia 2
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (recommend!)
Saint's Row 2 in co-op

Now playing:
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2
Assassin's Creed

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Update:

So, I have been attempting to play through BF:BC2 for a few weeks now. In that time, I've managed to play through about half of the game (5 hours).

I hate the single player. Everything is just walking down a corridor to the next cut scene, much like COD. I don't generally like these types of games and I'm not sure that I have another 5 hours in me at the moment.

So instead I played all the way through Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 (which shares a similar level design philosophy, but I liked a bit better), played through most of Duke Nukem 3d (GoG) and remembered when FPS games were way more fun, and I bought RIFT, which I've been playing a lot of.

So I've decided to switch off of BF:BC2 and select a new non-mmo game with which to occupy my time. my random roll was #38, which is GTA:IV. I've beaten this on the 360, but I never played the episodes, so I'll try to get through those on the PC.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Bad Company 2's single player is really bad and misses out on any of the fun and humor that the first one had. Thankfully its multiplayer is way too loving fun.

To contribute, I finally started playing some of the Steam games that I've been buying as well. Bullet Candy is pretty lovely, Risen is interesting but frustratingly hard (why is everything so goddamn stiff and clunky?) and The Wither is really goddamn good.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Substandard posted:

So instead I played all the way through Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 (which shares a similar level design philosophy, but I liked a bit better), played through most of Duke Nukem 3d (GoG) and remembered when FPS games were way more fun, and I bought RIFT, which I've been playing a lot of.

So I've decided to switch off of BF:BC2 and select a new non-mmo game with which to occupy my time. my random roll was #38, which is GTA:IV. I've beaten this on the 360, but I never played the episodes, so I'll try to get through those on the PC.

More people need to seriously play Duke Nukem 3D. There's a growing segment of people who see nothing wrong with the "COD-ification" of FPS games, and they've forgotten what a truly fun FPS is. That said, Duke Nukem 3D has surprisingly aged pretty well, and is still a ton of fun. I'd image the new Duke Nukem will stick to a similar formula.

On a side note, if you like vanilla GTA4, you'll probably like the episodes just as much if not more. Ballad of Gay Tony is the best iteration of GTA4 there is, and puts the "fun" back into GTA. My only gripe was that I wish it were longer.

Yodzilla posted:

Bad Company 2's single player is really bad and misses out on any of the fun and humor that the first one had. Thankfully its multiplayer is way too loving fun.

The SP on BC1 felt more open as well, you weren't shuttled down a corridor quite as obviously as you were in BC2.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

fatpat268 posted:

More people need to seriously play Duke Nukem 3D. There's a growing segment of people who see nothing wrong with the "COD-ification" of FPS games, and they've forgotten what a truly fun FPS is.

I disagree. Old FPS had a lot of key hunting and dead ends that I don't find fun to navigate. It's also a little high and mighty to tell me I don't know how to have fun.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

fatpat268 posted:

On a side note, if you like vanilla GTA4, you'll probably like the episodes just as much if not more. Ballad of Gay Tony is the best iteration of GTA4 there is, and puts the "fun" back into GTA. My only gripe was that I wish it were longer.

I wasn't actually a huge fan of vanilla GTA4, but I loved San Andreas. I largely just didn't really like Nico or the story, and I missed jet packs and base jumping. Honestly Saint's Row 2 is the true successor to San Andreas, but I've played through it bunches already.

So I'm hoping you're right and Ballad of Gay Tony brings back some fun. I'm hoping to get into it today after work.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I disagree. Old FPS had a lot of key hunting and dead ends that I don't find fun to navigate. It's also a little high and mighty to tell me I don't know how to have fun.

That's fine, and I'm not attacking what you find fun. We all have opinions, and I expressed mine. I've lost a lot of interest in some recent FPS games because they boil down following a tight corridor in a shooting gallery. Of course I still find them sort of fun, but I do wish more shooters would gravitate to the old style.

And that's not nostalgia speaking, I had a stellar experience with D3D and found myself seeking out other old school FPS games.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just beat Batman: Arkham Asylum for PC. It took me about 20 hours to do so, but it was a blast. I highly recommend it if anyone here has it in their backlog but hasn't played it yet. It is a combination of a beat 'em up style game with some puzzles. I played it on Medium and was challenged at parts, but not to the point where I was getting frustrated. The only disadvantage to this was GFWL, but if you update that outside of the game a lot of the frustration that is had with that can be alleviated.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Finally making some significant progress. I finished Dirt 2 finally, and went to beat the one release campaign as well as the two added ones in Left 4 Dead 2 I hadn't done yet. Got started on Serious Sam: 2nd encounter as well. I've beaten the first one, but for fun's sake I'm starting on Egypt anyways because it's drat fun.
Also went back to Space Invaders Infinity Gene on PS3 and got all the trophies but the one for completing the game using no continues, I'll eventually go back once again to get that and maybe get the DLC for it as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zedd posted:

Update:

Beat
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (recommend!)

Im only 6 hours into it and i can say its true, im really loving the game so far:

Beat Kane&Linch 2 and now playing Divinity 2: DKS and Alien vs Predator, next after these two should be Alpha Protocol.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just finished the second to last episode of Sam and Max season 2. Will likely finish the last in a couple of days. After that, probably season 3.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
$615.42 USD :(

Time to sign up for Backloggery.

Edit: drat you, signups closed! Now I'll never be able to play through my back log.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

$615.42 USD :(

Time to sign up for Backloggery.

Edit: drat you, signups closed! Now I'll never be able to play through my back log.

I am just as frustrated as you with signups closed. If you find another site similar to backloggery let me know! I've been looking and haven't been able to find one.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go
Out of sheer curiosity - does collecting all the flags and killing all the templar in AC1 actually unlock anything beyond achievments? I'm mainly interested in whether it would do anything to add to the plot. If I'm not missing anything by skipping them, I'll probably just finish that right after Condemned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It does not. Skip them.

Edit: In fact skip everything you do not need to finish the game because if you do all the side quests you will kill yourself with tedium. The extra advice doing extra quests do is ultimately pointless because you'll likely get spotted anyway.

Mr. Saturday
Oct 12, 2007

Man belongs wherever he wants to go

RagnarokAngel posted:

It does not. Skip them.

Edit: In fact skip everything you do not need to finish the game because if you do all the side quests you will kill yourself with tedium. The extra advice doing extra quests do is ultimately pointless because you'll likely get spotted anyway.

Funny thing, when I beat AC1 the first time around (doing it again to re-orient myself with the plot) I did every side mission and never really tired of them. I did say "gently caress it" to the flags the first time, I just wasn't sure if they served a larger purpose beyond "hurf durf get da achievements". Thank ya!

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have started Freedom Force as my next game to beat. I picked this up a couple years ago in a pack with this game plus Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich and it only cost me $2. I have just added El Diablo to my party so I'm still close to the beginning, but I'm enjoying this. It's an RPG set in a generic comic book universe, so if you think this is your cup of tea give it a shot. There are also supposed to be tons of mods to add other superheroes, like the Green Lantern, Colossus, basically anyone you can think of (or so I've read) but I haven't looked for any yet, because I haven't tired of the characters I have in the game currently.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
Finished Mirror's Edge, which was mercifully short. That game is a great idea wrapped up in some horrible implementation. I tried to play Hitman 2, but it won't run on my machine, so I've moved on to Hitman: Blood Money. I will also probably try and play through Zeno Clash sometime soon and finish the story mode in Plants Vs. Zombies.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Beat Assassin's Creed 1 and Mirror's Edge and I'm now going to be eventually move on to Psychonauts and maybe something else.

Assassin's Creed was really fun really wore on me by the end because of the whole fact that everybody in the Animus is a huge rear end in a top hat. Altiar is a jerk, all of your targets are big ol' meanies who won't shut up, your boss is a million year old d-bag, bitches all up on me beggin' for my cash monies, the crazy people mad at my sexy body and the GUARDS WON'T gently caress OFF. Christ, I just wanna stab dudes and do crazy unbelievable rooftop parkour.

Mirror's Edge was kinda the same, the running around was great but anything involving other human beings got quickly annoying. I really enjoyed the platforming parts (except the subway sections, I hate subway sections so much) but the story was pretty dumb and the cops got real annoying by the end. I was trying to not kill anyone but that quickly ended by like chapter 7 where I just had to start shooting dudes just so I can get back to the good parts. Also it was really short.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Season 2 of Sam and Max: Complete!

Time to move on to season 3 I guess.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Vince Videogames posted:

Beat Assassin's Creed 1 and Mirror's Edge and I'm now going to be eventually move on to Psychonauts and maybe something else.

Assassin's Creed was really fun really wore on me by the end because of the whole fact that everybody in the Animus is a huge rear end in a top hat. Altiar is a jerk, all of your targets are big ol' meanies who won't shut up, your boss is a million year old d-bag, bitches all up on me beggin' for my cash monies, the crazy people mad at my sexy body and the GUARDS WON'T gently caress OFF. Christ, I just wanna stab dudes and do crazy unbelievable rooftop parkour.

The best part about finishing AC is that after the main storyline is over you don't get punished for stabbing innocents. Assassin's Creed: Beggar Hunt.

For my part, since the thread started I've finished with Napoleon TW, Bad Company 2's singleplayer, Stronghold, Batman AA, Red Dead Redemption, Black Ops single and multi and found out that I cannot be bothered with RPGs such as Fallout 3. Short list to play next: Shogun 2, Amnesia and Ship Simulator Extremes.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
And there's Torchlight down. Next game unknown, possibly the rest of Metro 2033 or Painkiller.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Vince Videogames posted:

I was trying to not kill anyone but that quickly ended by like chapter 7 where I just had to start shooting dudes just so I can get back to the good parts. Also it was really short.

That loving boat. Seriously. It's like they brought in an intern to design it. I'll take the crazy ninja cops any day.

My Half-Life 2 motivation remains extremely low. I should seriously consider shelving it.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I totally went to go all in on Batman AA when it was on sale earlier this week, only to realize I had already bought it during the sale where the entire Squeenix pack was 80 bucks.

Just tried to finish Kane and Lynch 2 with a friend, but he got really pissed off at a part near the end and then my game crashed. God. drat it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Demitri Omni posted:

I totally went to go all in on Batman AA when it was on sale earlier this week, only to realize I had already bought it during the sale where the entire Squeenix pack was 80 bucks.

Go play it. Finish it. Now. Don't stop to think about it, just do it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Go play it. Finish it. Now. Don't stop to think about it, just do it.

Yeah, seriously. Do this.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Reading trough this thread inspired me to figure out my gaming backlog, and I'm not happy about what I discovered :(. I was actually thinking about upgrading my several years old computer to get access to some newer games, but yeah, that has to wait until I deal with some of this crap. It's not a gargantuan pile like some of you have, but there are a couple of RPGs that are dozens of hours long.

My worst problem is with the PSP and the PlayStation Network. It's scary how easily you can buy and download games whenever you have the thing in your hand. Press Butan! Get Game! :downs: It's not like 2$ discount stuff either, I'm lucky when I get away with 10 euros or so.

Here's what I'm actively playing at the moment:

Darwinia (Steam)
Haven't touched yet, but going to try it out soon. Came with a steam pack I got only for DEFCON. Estimated play time: 5 hours?

Divine Divinity (GOG)
Played through the first dungeon, which I hear is the bad part. Seemed fine to me, and if it gets better, great. It's an open world game, so if I don't stop to mess around, I'm hoping to get through in about 10 hours.

Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB (GOG)
I played this one years back, but never finished it. I do love the Infinity Engine games, and I bought this one (again) because I feel my life is not complete until I get through the most famous of the classic CRPGs. Estimated play time: :gonk:

Star Wars: Force Unleashed (PSP)
I don't even remember buying this. I just found it lying on a shelf while looking for my PSP games. Played through a couple of missions, and it seemed playable enough. I hope the Star Wars theme will carry me through. Also dark side 4 lyfe. Probably not too long.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)
Played enough to realize that this is my second favorite game on the PSP, second only to the Monster Hunter series. Won't have problems playing through this.

Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
Nearing the end, already over 70 hours. In some demented flash of inspiration, I decided to play the game with the male protagonist first, instead of the new PSP only female protagonist. I'll probably be more efficient in the second play through, but the games' structure doesn't really allow you to skip content. Really like the game, though, and I'm actually looking forward to the replay.

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (PSP)
Lots of people seem to hate this, but I think it's one of the better modern FF games. At least the battle system isn't 'choose Attack from menu times 100000'. The big city from VII (forgot the name) where the game takes place is a really fascinating location. I do hope they just grab the Kingdom Hearts system and put that in future Final Fantasy games because that poo poo rocks. I think I have a couple of hours left in this one.

Z.H.P Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman (PSP)
Not touching the optional grind. No. The humor really works for me, though. I don't think I've laughed aloud at a game this often since Monkey Island 1 back when it was first released.

The thing is, whenever I have free time to play games, I tend to gravitate towards the games I already know and like. Civ IV still keeps me awake at nights, and I'm addicted to Monster Hunter like a Japanese person.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
:w00t: finally beat VVVVVV! Now to find those last three trinkets and maybe play some time trials and intermissions.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t: finally beat VVVVVV! Now to find those last three trinkets and maybe play some time trials and intermissions.

If one of those trinkets is Vini Vidi Vici then you're gonna be at it a while.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

ChrisAsmadi posted:

If one of those trinkets is Vini Vidi Vici then you're gonna be at it a while.

I think I quit the game over trying to get that. The worst goddamn worst part is my own need to collect everything won't let me quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I have a huge backlog and not much time to play due to work. So far this year I've beaten:

-Zeno Clash
-Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Amnesia
-Serious Sam: Second Encounter

That's really depressing. I'm currently still chipping away at Just Cause 2, which I bought during the Thanksgiving sale, 58 hours so far. And I'm about halfway through Crysis. I'm hoping to find the inspiration to complete the last few races in Grid, which I stopped playing a while ago. I also started Ben There, Dan That, but haven't got back to it.