Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Is Anachronox that game where you get a planet as a party member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

AXE COP posted:

Yes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I can't believe I've started playing Deus Ex again. Every drat time I start reading this thread, it's like some kind of Pavlovian response. This time I'm trying to recreate my first playthrough as a semi-stealthy pistol ace, though I keep getting urges to restart as a melee ninja or rifle master or some kind of weird explosives psycho. For my next time I may turn on cheats, max out my ammo, and do a GEP-only game. Or a pepper-gun-that-shoots-rockets-only game.

I think that with all the talk about DX's strengths and flaws, one thing that gets overlooked is the awesome music. Maybe it's just the nostalgia embedded deep in my brain, but that millennium-era Unreal Engine synth soundtrack really does a great job of setting the mood.

And just to throw in my two cents on Invisible War: it's a mediocre game with some really annoying flaws, mostly thanks to the engine, and lacks most of what made Deus Ex fun, but at the same time it was probably the best "rear end in a top hat physics" game I've yet played. I've never seen a game where every element - from the over-charged physics engine to the complete lack of impact any of your actions have on the overall plot - does such a good job of encouraging the player to be a total sociopathic thug. For just about every biomod slot there's one obvious choice that's far better than the others, and pretty soon you can just run around baffing everyone in the face with a death-baton. It's not the deep and multi-layered experience that Deus Ex offers, but it's definitely worth the $10 or whatever that it is on Steam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hard Clumping posted:

I'm going to agree with this, but I'm not going to use the word gaijin because it makes the sentiment sound defensive, like it's a bad thing to hate JRPGs. (JRPGs are bad)

I just thought gaijin was funny. JRPGs are terrible.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

AXE COP posted:

Wait, what? How does that even work :psyduck:
I've gotta get this game.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Is there anywhere decent to buy a digital version of Anachronox?

Kinda surprised that it's not on Steam.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samopsa posted:

Wait, what? How does that even work :psyduck:
I've gotta get this game.

The planet's leaders are so impressed by you saving their planet from an asteroid full of murderous space bugs and looking for good intergalactic PR that they decide to shrink down and follow you on your adventures. You can also ask them to blow the planet up to full size and hang out there, and everybody assumes that you're all just actors on a really cool TV show and they keep asking you how you're so good at playing a complete moron. Then they save you from dying at the hands of a comic book supervillain.

Oh, and the planet is called Democratus, where literally everything is voted on, all the way from what color to paint your house, to how badly you have to go to the bathroom. Also the voting is pointless and everything is actually decided on behind the scenes by a secret cabal.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 24, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Jesus. I'm going to find this game and play it first thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alright I finally got around to getting a copy of Anachronox and its on my "List of games" right now. About how long does it take to beat, just so I know what to expect in terms of time investment.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

In Training posted:

Alright I finally got around to getting a copy of Anachronox and its on my "List of games" right now. About how long does it take to beat, just so I know what to expect in terms of time investment.
It's not very long. Nowhere near Final Fantasy length, at any rate. I'd say about 6-10 hours, as a rough estimate.

Also the first part (the part that takes place in Anachronox itself, before you reach Sender Station) is tedious as gently caress. Lots of commuting back-and-forth and fetch quests to be had. Best strategy is to patch the game to 1.02, which adds a taxi system that makes getting around much less annoying.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just read up on the chances of a sequel to Anachronox. Tom's been trying to buy the IP from Eidos for a while (doubt it'll ever happen :smith:), and all the old team members say if he ever got the IP back and made Anachronox 2 they'll immediately drop everything and reform the team. :unsmith:

Apparently, in 2010 he said if he doesn't get the IP/make Anachoronox 2 in the next 10 years he'll just write up the rest of the story and throw it on his website.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Something just occurred to me...does any part of this game take place during daylight? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity
I really want to get into this game, but every run I do, I can get to the terrorist-filled subway on Liberty Island/wherever it is, and can't figure out where to go. I tried crawling through vents, bumrushing the front, everything. Any advice, since I heard the game really picks up after this?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Something just occurred to me...does any part of this game take place during daylight? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Everything happens at 11:30 in the morning, but JC won't take off those loving glasses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I really want to get into this game, but every run I do, I can get to the terrorist-filled subway on Liberty Island/wherever it is, and can't figure out where to go. I tried crawling through vents, bumrushing the front, everything. Any advice, since I heard the game really picks up after this?

In the subway? Explore the vents more, one of them opens up right by the train. You can tell the hostages to make a break for the train, then enter the train and progress the game yourself without even confronting anyone.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Deputy Dangerous posted:

The terrorists won't run through the laser grid. Just shoot everyone with a tranq dart and wander off for about 30 seconds.

You also don't have to rescue the hostages, you can take the subway and leave them on the platform if you want. You can even skip the entire level by just going straight for the trains.

Deputy Dangerous
Mar 20, 2011

90% gravity

Neo Rasa posted:

In the subway? Explore the vents more, one of them opens up right by the train. You can tell the hostages to make a break for the train, then enter the train and progress the game yourself without even confronting anyone.

I did this, and now I'm at the Warehouse District (or whatever my save was called). Unfortunately I have 0% health legs so I'm reduced to crouchwalking everywhere and I need to jump over a fence, so guess I'm stuck.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

al-azad posted:

I don't know if this was posted yet but Deus Ex GOTY and the sequel are both $4.00 at direct2drive and $3.20 each with "specwar5" promotional code. The promotion ends tomorrow and I don't know how long the DE sale will last but it's been going all week.

Does anyone have any idea what this icon Direct2Drive uses for Deus Ex: Invisible War is supposed to be?

XausF1 posted:

Just read up on the chances of a sequel to Anachronox. Tom's been trying to buy the IP from Eidos for a while (doubt it'll ever happen :smith:), and all the old team members say if he ever got the IP back and made Anachronox 2 they'll immediately drop everything and reform the team. :unsmith:

Apparently, in 2010 he said if he doesn't get the IP/make Anachoronox 2 in the next 10 years he'll just write up the rest of the story and throw it on his website.
So Eidos still owns the rights to Anachronox, and Square-Enix now owns Eidos... it has come full circle!

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Deputy Dangerous posted:

I did this, and now I'm at the Warehouse District (or whatever my save was called). Unfortunately I have 0% health legs so I'm reduced to crouchwalking everywhere and I need to jump over a fence, so guess I'm stuck.

Just use cheats to give yourself some medpacks, heal your legs up and then play on.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I found Invisible War in a bargain bin sale and am finally ready to bite the bullet. Problem is that when running the game after installing, configuring, and saving at the start of the Tarsus Appts. it loses my custom config and tucks itself in a tiny window in the corner of the screen. Only solution to the latter seems to be to run it in 640x480 mode, which looks dreadful. Don't see why it would reset the configuration, though.

I use an XP guest in VirtualBox with DirectX 9.0c passing all tests; tried it in Wine (with DirectX 8.1) too, same thing. DX1 runs perfectly fine in either environment, as do lots of other older games. Is there any hope or is this a blessing in disguise, given the bad IW reviews?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Clark2 posted:

No. It wouldn't be cyberpunk otherwise. :eng101:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zero Star posted:

It's not very long. Nowhere near Final Fantasy length, at any rate. I'd say about 6-10 hours, as a rough estimate.

That seems way too low to me. I replayed recently and it was at least 20 hours. And that was with vaguely remembering where everything was.

Find the unofficial patches for sure. Patch to 1.02, then do 44, 45, and 46. You have to go in that order. But then it'll tolerate modern systems, it won't crash, and you get the \ key to fast forward through long walks.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Does anyone have any idea what this icon Direct2Drive uses for Deus Ex: Invisible War is supposed to be?
It's cropped from some concept art. I don't think anything like it was actually included in the game though. You can see the full image on this site, first picture on the third row from the bottom.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I read the first few pages and the last few pages and found nothing; is there anywhere in between that solves a disappearing menu problem?
I just reinstalled from steam and everything works, except I cant actually see the options in any menu - I can click where I assume the options exist, but I can't see the text.
Googling gives nothing, and my game was working perfectly before I deleted local content (protip - don't delete local content)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I teach English to Korean kids. To amuse myself I teach them things they don't get but make me laugh. My accomplishment of the week was this short conversation at the beginning of class.

Me: Hello class.
Class: Hello teacher, how are you?
Me: I'm sick.
Class: What a shame.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Faraday Cage posted:

It's cropped from some concept art. I don't think anything like it was actually included in the game though. You can see the full image on this site, first picture on the third row from the bottom.
Thanks. Looks like a slightly more interesting Templar Trooper design than we actually got.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I teach English to Korean kids. To amuse myself I teach them things they don't get but make me laugh. My accomplishment of the week was this short conversation at the beginning of class.

Me: Hello class.
Class: Hello teacher, how are you?
Me: I'm sick.
Class: What a shame.

There's a golden opportunity here for "Mr. Grand Fromage...in the fresh"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The real golden opportunity is there's a very popular kind of class activity called a bomb game. Oh my god. :haw:

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I can't believe my merely-three years old laptop is struggling to run this. Thanks onboard graphics! It's not too bad when there's no NPCs around, but it didn't like the shootout outside the 'Ton. It ran better when I first bought it in 2000 :ughh:

Is there anything I can do? I'm running the launcher as discussed in this thread a million times, but no combination of settings seems to improve things.

Have I just been naive for assuming that the onboard graphics would have advanced enough in 8 years to be able to cope?

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Huh. Maybe you could try one of the replacement renderers?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Or try the software renderer. Your cpu must be fast enough.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
The performance on the software renderer is better, but it looks pretty bad. Lots of clipping and so on.

Cray, did you mean the renderers in the launcher or are there some others?

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
There are fan-made renderers. The same guy who made the replacement exe (kentie.net) also wrote a DX10 one that I personally use, no idea if integrated cards even support DX10 though. There's also a DX9 one, he links to it in his "Deus Ex on modern systems" guide. Might be worth giving it a try.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Loving reading this thread, always makes me want to play more Deus Ex. Shifter Mod is my next challenge.

However, my current challenge is the Nameless Mod and the ShadowCode area: I've made it to the final server but can't figure out what to do with this puzzle - clicking on the wiry looking squares gives me a beep, while the plain squares do nothing. Clicking and dragging do nothing to any sort of tile, including the green one, while pressing directions on the keypad make the sound of flicking through emails.

Any ideas? What am I meant to do with this puzzle? I'm running vanilla Deus Ex from Steam with nothing but TNM.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm stupid.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 1, 2011

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is not completely horrible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEI2a_6-1L8

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cray posted:

There are fan-made renderers. The same guy who made the replacement exe (kentie.net) also wrote a DX10 one that I personally use, no idea if integrated cards even support DX10 though. There's also a DX9 one, he links to it in his "Deus Ex on modern systems" guide. Might be worth giving it a try.

How do these work technically? The screens are nice, but to get graphical changes wouldn't you have to write new shaders taking advantage of DX9/10 features?

e: I'm stupid there's a whole page on this! http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/page2.htm

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
If UNATCO HQ is right there on Liberty Island, why does JC just turn up on a boat. Why isn't he at the HQ to begin with?

Also did the NSF realise that UNATCO HQ was right there on Liberty Island? Seems like a pretty risky target to me.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Because JC was fresh from the academy, not settled in at HQ yet.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Furret Basket posted:

Also did the NSF realise that UNATCO HQ was right there on Liberty Island? Seems like a pretty risky target to me.

I thought that was odd too, you'd think UNATCO would have heavy mechs everywhere around their base. I guess the HQ being there makes the place a good high profile target for the NSF but losing the island to a bunch of guys and one light mech is kind of weak.

If you want to get :tinfoil: about it, it could have all been a ploy by MJ12 to leave the island undefended and lure the NSF in to take out a bunch of them and test out JC at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Der Luftwaffle posted:

If you want to get :tinfoil: about it, it could have all been a ploy by MJ12 to leave the island undefended and lure the NSF in to take out a bunch of them and test out JC at the same time.

Considering the storyline, that's not very :tinfoil: at all. It's probably exactly what happened.