Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
what kind of fish did you buy, and which died? Also, even though it may have worked in the past, a lot of fish stores will keep their SG from 1.015-1.020 and if it's on the lower side of that or below and you dont get it near that or exact you could shock the fish and kill them pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot

cculos posted:

A Green Star Polyp colony attached to some sort of toadstool (someone ID please?)

And (I believe) a birds nest coral:

Thoughts?

That's just going to be a plain ol' toadstool (nothing wrong with that)

The birds nest looks more like pocillopora though

supercheesy
Jun 12, 2006
The first ones I bought that I assume died from the stress of the leaky filter (in January) and switching it out were a blue damsel, a clownfish, a firefish goby, and a bicolor chromis. All but the clownfish died and I bought a dragon goby and yellowtail damsel from the store that gave me ich. The yellowtail was being a jerk and chasing the clownfish so I took it back. Then the ick showed up and I treated the dragon goby and clownfish. The dragon goby died. I waited for a week after the last symptoms of the ich and got another clownfish, two green chromis, a firefish goby, and another bicolor chromis. This was Friday. Now, to my knowledge, they are all dead.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
youre adding a poo poo ton of fish at one time and maybe your tank cant handle that bioload or amount of fish. Try taking it a little slower with the fish. Maybe one every two weeks or so and really take your time adjusting them to your system. It's your own money that is going into this system (I assume) and Im sure you dont want to just throw it away.

Can you post any pictures of the tank?

cculos
Apr 8, 2005

Dono posted:

youre adding a poo poo ton of fish at one time and maybe your tank cant handle that bioload or amount of fish. Try taking it a little slower with the fish. Maybe one every two weeks or so and really take your time adjusting them to your system. It's your own money that is going into this system (I assume) and Im sure you dont want to just throw it away.

Can you post any pictures of the tank?

This. I think you're probably adding too much too quickly. Corals are one thing as they don't generate nearly as much bio-load as fish do, but even then, Rome wasn't built in a day. Take it easy for the sake of your tank and the happiness of your fish (and your wallet!) :)

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I am hopefully getting my very first huge display tank. I found a deal on Craigslist and will be trading my languishing 65g freshwater setup (minus the livestock) plus some cash for a complete 140g reef system. I THINK the lights are power compact, but I have heard they have lovely colors. Even so, 140g tank and stand by itself is worth $300 easy! I also get all the equipment plus half of the person's Live rock since they wouldn't be able to fit it. Great deal at twice the price!

In other news, I finally got my 34g cube to where I'd like it. Now to just let these frags grow out for about a year:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 23, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
is it drilled and a glass tank? If so that tank is worth easily 500$ good find nonetheless. Do you have any other equipment ready for it, or plans on what you want to do with it?

fanaglethebagle
Sep 5, 2007

by angerbot
Go with the deals when they come your way, sometimes you get a lot of goodies from downsizing people.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Dono posted:

is it drilled and a glass tank? If so that tank is worth easily 500$ good find nonetheless. Do you have any other equipment ready for it, or plans on what you want to do with it?

It's drilled with a double overflow, oak stand & canopy (real oak veneer, not that lovely oak-stained pine). Also includes the skimmer, in-stand sump what she seems to describe as an 8-bulb PC lighting system, and whatever rock she can't fit in the tank I'm trading her. It's easily worth twice what I'm paying but she doesn't seem to mind.

I actually got pictures of it last night from her phone and they look pretty drat good. I'm planning on making it either one of two things:

- Softie tank new home for my coral beauty (who has taken a liking to nipping at my new SPS frags) and some larger not-so-reef-friendly fish
- Gorgeous mixed tank including SPS colonies (when I actually GET SPS colonies). I'll need to upgrade the lighting but no biggie. I like T5s and don't want to buy a chiller.

Most of my corals are still pretty small, as you can see from the picture in my last post. I haven't really bought them as colonies and most of what I have came from trades. I tend to snipe at really good craigslist ads and people who are moving who post on my local ReefCentral board (Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiasts). It's a policy that has served me well so far without costing me too much. This tank is the first big SW investment I've had in a while.

When people say that with saltwater, the most important thing is to be patient. This doesn't apply only to the growth of livestock, it applies to shopping as well ;)

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Do you know how big the sump is and what kind of skimmer? Post pics when you can, this really sounds like a gem you found.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Any advice on GHA treatment? My tank is too small for a butterfly, and I'd hate to get a lettuce nudi and bring it back once it's done (to avoid killing it)

The tank is a 24g Aquapod with 5g changed out every weekend under a 150w Halide that's 13
from the surface. The light is on from 10:30 AM until 8:30 PM with an hour break in the middle of the day to kinda curb the GHA growth. I run a maxi 900 return and a 240gph powerhead for circulation. In the back chambers I have a media rack with chaeto, chemi-pure elite and a nano skimmer. I've tried pulling/scrubbing but it always comes back right where it was before and it grows like mad. Those that have it know. It's not an outbreak, only in a few spots in the tank. Currently it's inhabitants are:

2 Clowns
Mandarin (Yes it eats mysis, I'm a responsible father!)
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

CuC (10 hermits and about 8 snails)

Misc. Corals and a maxi-mini.

This was a craigslist find and it was neglected/crashed/covered in GHA when I got it, so it's really just remnants from the original tank since I didn't boil/dry the rocks. I just scrubbed most of them and missed a couple spots I guess.

Here's how I got it:

Here it is now, 1.5 years later or so:

The frag rack has been remade and the magnet/GHA balls all over the place are gone. The only GHA is on the powerhead and on a lower rock on the right (pictured with the mandarin) and a lower rock on the left. The problem being that since they're both support rocks, I can't necessarily remove them without taking off the whole structure.

tl:dr How do I get rid of GHA?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I've been battling the same crap for a few months in my 90. I've found that raising magnesium to 1600+ ppm will significantly cut it back, if not kill it completely, and it doesn't seem to harm any other algae or corals or fish.

I also replaced my chaeto and bulb in my sump as both seemed to have failed -- this seems to be working and what GHA is left is just a small fraction of where it was not that long ago.

So, first try raising your magnesium levels (bring it up 100ppm a day max) and hold it there for a week or two and see if that has helped at all. If that doesn't work, you'll need to battle it with a competing algae (chaeto). I've never had good luck with fish / inverts taking care of algae issues.

supercheesy
Jun 12, 2006
I did a major water change last night and added a little more sand to the tank. I am basically going to start re-cycling. Maybe a couple of weeks I will get one or two fish and start over. Thanks for everything! I tried to get pictures of the tank but I can't seem to get them edited. I will try again later.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Dono posted:

Do you know how big the sump is and what kind of skimmer? Post pics when you can, this really sounds like a gem you found.

Turns out it's 48x24x30 (150 super tall) with a 20g sump. Before I buy it I"m going to make them unplug it to verify that no, it won't spill saltwater all over my floor when the pumps turn off. Gonna try and upgrade the sump later to a 40g breeder if possible.

My only concern is what kind of PAR I get at the bottom of the tank. If I do decide to put any SPS in it, they're gonna have to be in the top 1/3 of the tank unless I want to supplement with MH. I'd like to avoid those, as I really don't want the increase on my electricity bill. Having such a big tank will be bad enough as it is.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and assuming everything is in order, pick it up April 2nd. Stocking as much saltwater as I can! My poor RO unit...

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 25, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
imo that sump wont be big enough for a 150g, and if it is I would say just barely. I'd double look into it.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Dono posted:

imo that sump wont be big enough for a 150g, and if it is I would say just barely. I'd double look into it.

Picking up a 40g will not be a big deal. My first concern is not flooding my floor. If it prevents that I'll be satisfied. It's only one chamber anyway from what I can see. I don't even have a sump on my existing tank - it's just got the all-in-one setup. It'll probably be years before I have enough livestock in this thing to even tax the live rock I'm getting with it.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

Picking up a 40g will not be a big deal. My first concern is not flooding my floor. If it prevents that I'll be satisfied. It's only one chamber anyway from what I can see. I don't even have a sump on my existing tank - it's just got the all-in-one setup. It'll probably be years before I have enough livestock in this thing to even tax the live rock I'm getting with it.

very true, if you have the space under your stand I would just prep the 20g for a remote DSB and fuge to grow some extra pods and pick up a cheap 40g and put together the sump for less than 50$

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

optikalus posted:

I've been battling the same crap for a few months in my 90. I've found that raising magnesium to 1600+ ppm will significantly cut it back, if not kill it completely, and it doesn't seem to harm any other algae or corals or fish.

I also replaced my chaeto and bulb in my sump as both seemed to have failed -- this seems to be working and what GHA is left is just a small fraction of where it was not that long ago.

So, first try raising your magnesium levels (bring it up 100ppm a day max) and hold it there for a week or two and see if that has helped at all. If that doesn't work, you'll need to battle it with a competing algae (chaeto). I've never had good luck with fish / inverts taking care of algae issues.

The problem with that is I don't have a mag test kit (nor do I dose it) and I dunno if I wanna fork over the $50 or whatever it is for that. Things that I dose are calcium/pH buffer and iodion once a week. As far as my parameters go, everything's in check based on the tests I have and the tank sits at 1.025 SG. Maybe I'll pick up some more chaeto or give it more room to grow in a HOB filter or something. I don't run a sump because the tank isn't drilled, and I dunno if it's worth it on an AIO 24 :)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd like to retract my support for aquacon.com. The rocks, sand, fish, and most recently a coco worm have all been great condition and are still alive and doing great. However, their coral department is pathetic. First, I ordered a blue palm coral, which had an extremely visible aiptasia colony on it, which the coral tried to grow away from but eventually died. I let it slide because those things can happen(I did buy peppermint shrimp to try and get rid of them, but it didn't work). Then, I ordered a yellow fiji finger leather coral from them. This is what I got(taken about 2 hours after receiving it in the box, so it looks much better than what it does now):

Now it looks completely brown and is basically dead. No yellow on it at any point. This is what they advertised:

They have yet to respond to my requests for a refund and/or replacement. It is absolutely pathetic considering they are shipped and received within like 12 hours.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
It makes me feel lucky that I live only a few miles from World Wide Corals and several other well stocked LFS. Not to mention if I do order offline I stick with Liveaquaria, I ordered some softies from them and they were in phenomenal condition.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That's in Orlando, right? I'm in Gainesville so that's not too far from where I am. The place I ordered that pathetic specimen from was in Ft. Lauderdale so I assumed shipping stress/damage would be minimal.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

The problem with that is I don't have a mag test kit (nor do I dose it) and I dunno if I wanna fork over the $50 or whatever it is for that. Things that I dose are calcium/pH buffer and iodion once a week. As far as my parameters go, everything's in check based on the tests I have and the tank sits at 1.025 SG. Maybe I'll pick up some more chaeto or give it more room to grow in a HOB filter or something. I don't run a sump because the tank isn't drilled, and I dunno if it's worth it on an AIO 24 :)

You'd need an external refugium with its own light. I almost built one for my previous AP24, but went to a 90 instead.

If you're using a good name brand salt mix, you're probably 1400ppm Mg already (this was my starting point with just Instant Ocean Reef Crystals). Just pick up some Kent Tech-M and dose ~1oz a day for a week and see how the GHA responds. If it is dying back, hold off on your dosing (dose recommended amount once a week [or divide into 7 doses and dose daily]), otherwise keep dosing until the GHA starts dying back.

Neither my fish nor corals were affected by my Mg dosing, though YMMV. If you have a lot of snails, they *may* be affected, but mine weren't.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

a duck posted:

That's in Orlando, right? I'm in Gainesville so that's not too far from where I am. The place I ordered that pathetic specimen from was in Ft. Lauderdale so I assumed shipping stress/damage would be minimal.

What store in ft Lauderdale? Thats where Im originally from. Im a UCF goon. Oh an yes WWC is in Orlando!

Edit: I hope youre driving down tomorrow for the Palm Beach Reef Keeping Frag Swap! Largest frag swap in the SE United States! :D

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My tank is a little too young to have any frags to trade yet :( One day, though. The store is called Aquatic Connection. It's strange because with everything else they are great and throw in extras with my other orders, but when it comes to coral I just get something on the verge of death. The coral is effectively dead now, by the way. Completely brown and white and falling apart. I guess it's time to take it out. Oh well, at least it wasn't too expensive.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
that sucks :( Yea there really are only a few places I would trust now for online ordering. OH and the frag swap, you dont need to bring any to swap. A lot are up for sale for pretty cheap. (5-15$) It's phenomenal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Oh, ok, didn't know that. I can't come to the thing today(UF basketball plans :)) but I'll keep an eye out for future ones.

On another topic, I just noticed my clownfish has a raised white bump on him, on his white middle stripe but toward the back. I've had him for ~6 months and haven't added a fish for a long time so I don't think it's ich(although it could be). The general consensus I've found is that they are some kind of cyst that may or may not go away on its own. He is otherwise behaving and eating normally. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, would you recommend the "wait and see" approach or try and medicate it? I do have ich medicine but I wouldn't want to put it in if that's not what it is.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

a duck posted:

Oh, ok, didn't know that. I can't come to the thing today(UF basketball plans :)) but I'll keep an eye out for future ones.

On another topic, I just noticed my clownfish has a raised white bump on him, on his white middle stripe but toward the back. I've had him for ~6 months and haven't added a fish for a long time so I don't think it's ich(although it could be). The general consensus I've found is that they are some kind of cyst that may or may not go away on its own. He is otherwise behaving and eating normally. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, would you recommend the "wait and see" approach or try and medicate it? I do have ich medicine but I wouldn't want to put it in if that's not what it is.

If you havent had ich in the past I doubt it is now, especially in a tank that size. No to mention it wont last That long in your sand bed (maybe a few weeks). If it gets better maybe QT him and antibiotics if not I'd wait and see.

just my opinion though. Do some more looking into it.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Deal for the 150g fell through. Like any deal that's too good to be true, the chick flaked out on me at the last second. In the market for a 75-90g, or a 125 if the price is right (and its a 60" not 72")

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

Deal for the 150g fell through. Like any deal that's too good to be true, the chick flaked out on me at the last second. In the market for a 75-90g, or a 125 if the price is right (and its a 60" not 72")

What region are you in? some big regional swaps here in the SE United States that you could probably find something at.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

My new acquisition--that peacock mantis that showed up on Diver's Den about 2 weeks back. (That's 1" PVC, for a sense of scale)

In progress--a new acrylic tank that it will be put in (in place of where I took down my freshwater aquarium which I'd been neglecting for the better part of a year).

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Whats up, neglecting freshwater tank buddy?

Found a 90g reef-ready with sump and custom stand local for $150. Hoping this guy doesn't flake out. He offered a 2x250 MH fixture with Icecap 660 ballast but I really wouldn't like what it'd do to my electric bill. It's only 2" deeper than my cube, which has T5HO, so I should be ok with that.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Melchior posted:

Whats up, neglecting freshwater tank buddy?

Found a 90g reef-ready with sump and custom stand local for $150. Hoping this guy doesn't flake out. He offered a 2x250 MH fixture with Icecap 660 ballast but I really wouldn't like what it'd do to my electric bill. It's only 2" deeper than my cube, which has T5HO, so I should be ok with that.

The MH fixture wouldnt be too bad compared to a 6x-8x bulb T% fixture would it? and IMO if the electric bill is an issue I would just lower the photoperiod.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Dono posted:

The MH fixture wouldnt be too bad compared to a 6x-8x bulb T% fixture would it? and IMO if the electric bill is an issue I would just lower the photoperiod.

I've been wondering about that myself. Kinda waffling over 6x T5s or a 2x250+2xT5 setup for my 90...and it seems a lot easier to find affordable used halides than it does to find a used 6-bulb T5 fixture. I'd love to have the extra light so I don't have to worry if/when I add SPS later on in the tank's life, but if it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg to run the things I can deal with SPS only at the top of the rocks.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
I used 4x T5 + 2x 250w MH for my 120 and loved the setup. I ran the T5 for most of the day and then the MH for about 6 hours during the peak lighting. I've since switched to LED, but both setups grew coral nicely.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
Any of the setups are going to grow coral (even SPS) nicely. It just depends on how deep your tank is really. MH will penetrate deeper depth, but you obviously already know that T5, MH, and LED can all produce the same spectrum, and you can simulate the 'shimmer' effect in a number of ways.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just spent 2 hours trying to catch our flame angel.

loving fish.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

optikalus posted:

You'd need an external refugium with its own light. I almost built one for my previous AP24, but went to a 90 instead.

If you're using a good name brand salt mix, you're probably 1400ppm Mg already (this was my starting point with just Instant Ocean Reef Crystals). Just pick up some Kent Tech-M and dose ~1oz a day for a week and see how the GHA responds. If it is dying back, hold off on your dosing (dose recommended amount once a week [or divide into 7 doses and dose daily]), otherwise keep dosing until the GHA starts dying back.

Neither my fish nor corals were affected by my Mg dosing, though YMMV. If you have a lot of snails, they *may* be affected, but mine weren't.

Awesome, I'll give that a shot. I used to dose the kent-m 1 capful once a week between changes but stopped when I realized I might be dosing too much.

And I do want to upgrade really bad, but I don't want to have to buy rock/sand and cycle again.. We'll see what happend when I move. Again, thanks for the advice.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 28, 2011

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

revmoo posted:

Just spent 2 hours trying to catch our flame angel.

loving fish.

I had to completely tear down my 90 reef to get that bastard out of my tank. Pulled *everything* out and into buckets. Sent his rear end back to the store after I got everything reset. They're nice to look at, but what a dickfish.

Edit:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Awesome, I'll give that a shot. I used to dose the kent-m 1 capful once a week between changes but stopped when I realized I might be dosing too much.

And I do want to upgrade really bad, but I don't want to have to buy rock/sand and cycle again.. We'll see what happend when I move. Again, thanks for the advice.

FWIW, my non-GHA algae came back with a vengeance almost immediately after my first water change after I stopped dosing the Mg. Hopefully the normal clean up crew will take care of that stuff in time (or I can just keep Mg high continuously)

optikalus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 28, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
A good nutrient export system with a good cast of grazers is how you put the final nail in the coffin on hair algae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

arioch posted:

A good nutrient export system with a good cast of grazers is how you put the final nail in the coffin on hair algae.

None of my hermits / snails would touch the poo poo. Probably added 50 hermits and 25 or so astreas over a few weeks and I can barely find 10 or so of each now. They just don't seem to eat my algae.

• Locked thread