Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a firewall before the edge router or ACL on the interface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005

Sepist posted:

Is there a firewall before the edge router or ACL on the interface?
No firewall and there doesn't seem to be an ACL that would be blocking it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What routes are you advertising to the CE?

I suspect the CE doesn't have a route back to you.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005

jwh posted:

What routes are you advertising to the CE?

I suspect the CE doesn't have a route back to you.

Here is the CE. Fa4 is connected to the NTU onsite which connects to our PE.

code:
(CE)#sh ip ro
Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
       D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area 
       N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
       E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
       i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
       ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
       o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0

10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 8 subnets, 3 masks
C       10.161.168.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan1
C       10.248.67.188/30 is directly connected, FastEthernet4
R       10.161.165.0/24 [120/3] via 10.248.67.189, 00:00:09, FastEthernet4
R       10.248.64.156/30 [120/1] via 10.248.67.189, 00:00:09, FastEthernet4
R       10.248.61.128/30 [120/2] via 10.248.67.189, 00:00:09, FastEthernet4
R       10.246.22.9/32 [120/3] via 10.248.67.189, 00:00:09, FastEthernet4
C       10.246.22.7/32 is directly connected, Loopback666
R       10.246.22.19/32 [120/1] via 10.248.67.189, 00:00:09, FastEthernet4
S*   0.0.0.0/0 is directly connected, FastEthernet4

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well, so much for that idea.

It might be time to debug icmp on the CE and see what's happening.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Shouldn't you also be redistributing from BGP into RIP?

tortilla_chip fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 24, 2011

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005

tortilla_chip posted:

Shouldn't you also be redistributing from BGP into RIP?
You legend. It's alive! It's so glaringly obvious now I can't believe I missed that. Gonna put it down to lack of sleep on these long lonely nights in the NOC.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
BGP, IIRC, will always require some form of internal routing.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Just got back from my interview, not that you guys need an update but I am pretty excited. So at the end of this 6 month contract to hire period they will pick 3 of 6 people to stay on full time. They seemed to make an inclination that just by talking to me I would be the most likely candidate.

The one technical question they asked me was what STP was and how does it work. I told them how STP works, as best I could, and then told them why using RSTP brought benefits. He explained they used Multiple Spanning-Tree, which I never encountered yet. During the interview the other person in the room said something like "you shouldn't worry" about not getting picked.

Pretty inspiring. :)

Seriously though, in six months and I don't get picked... I am going to be unemployed. I don't know if this is a good idea to take it or a hilariously bad one. :(

EDIT: They have over 11000 users. :stare: and they are expanding. Maybe it was nodes... that's a lot of people.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 24, 2011

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

greatapoc posted:

Here is the CE. Fa4 is connected to the NTU onsite which connects to our PE.

code:
S*   0.0.0.0/0 is directly connected, FastEthernet4

(not service affecting but) what's your ARP table look like on the CE? iirc routing a static out a broadcast media interface will result in a lot of ARP lookups which may be a 'bad thing'.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I have a 2811 that loses it's running config on reload. The saved config stays fine. Copy start run brings it right back to where I want it.

What can I do to fix this?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What's the config register? Do a sh ver.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Do you do 'copy run start' before you reload?

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

lol who does this, "wr" is all you need outside of certs! Always write mem once you are certain of your running config.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
There are some things that don't accept `write`, and for those you alias crs and crt :smugdog:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sprint is finally deploying native IPv6 on AS1239 (vs tunnels on AS6175). Our assigned interface address is 2600:4::/127. I Have this sneaking suspicion that we may be one of their first.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

falz posted:

Sprint is finally deploying native IPv6 on AS1239 (vs tunnels on AS6175). Our assigned interface address is 2600:4::/127. I Have this sneaking suspicion that we may be one of their first.

Generally a large SP will do aggregated assignments, you're probably the first on that particular router in that particular POP though (or you're "lucky" enough to be on the first interface of the first cust agg router in that POP if they're pre-assigning addresses based on interface).

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Badgerpoo posted:

lol who does this, "wr" is all you need outside of certs! Always write mem once you are certain of your running config.

Anyone with a Nexus environment since you have to make an alias for "wr mem" to work. Luckily you can just toss a "cop r s" in there. Although, don't ask your coworkers if they "coppers that damned switch" if they are going to reboot it. You will get funny looks.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bardlebee posted:

Just got back from my interview, not that you guys need an update but I am pretty excited. So at the end of this 6 month contract to hire period they will pick 3 of 6 people to stay on full time. They seemed to make an inclination that just by talking to me I would be the most likely candidate.

And if they don't pick you up after the 6 months, then you're out of work? Not to be overly cynical but it's really easy to make someone feel like they're "definitely going to get hired on full time". Until you have it in writing don't count on it.

workape posted:

Luckily you can just toss a "cop r s" in there.
:bahgawd:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

workape posted:

Anyone with a Nexus environment since you have to make an alias for "wr mem" to work. Luckily you can just toss a "cop r s" in there. Although, don't ask your coworkers if they "coppers that damned switch" if they are going to reboot it. You will get funny looks.

In IOS XR, your commands don't even do anything until you write them! It was annoying when I was first getting used to it but config versioning can be really useful for debug/testing.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

In IOS XR, your commands don't even do anything until you write them! It was annoying when I was first getting used to it but config versioning can be really useful for debug/testing.

Does 'commit' actually write the config to nvram? If so that's pretty neat (we're currently looking at some ASRs running XR for our new build, still debating 7600 vs. ASR).

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ragzilla posted:

Does 'commit' actually write the config to nvram? If so that's pretty neat (we're currently looking at some ASRs running XR for our new build, still debating 7600 vs. ASR).

My vote is ASR, given their flexibility in turning them into monsters akin or equal to the ASA 5585x's with IPS capabilities, let alone the whole... 'routing' thing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

It will still be wiped once it reloads.

I'll get config register tomorrow. I'm doing late night updates out in the field right now.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Ok, so I have a stupid question. I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something dumb, but hell if I can spot it. I'm playing with GRE tunnels at the moment, and I just took this whole thing down to something simple. I'm using two 3725s with a serial connection between them. I can get regular GRE tunnels to come up, and to make sure it's working I put an access list on one of the WAN interfaces that blocks ICMP, nothing else. I have EIGRP working over the tunnel, yay. Everything is good.

Then I change the tunnel source to a loopback on each tunnel and it stops working. The tunnel stays up/up, but suddenly traffic stops going over the tunnel.

The hell?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ragzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure it does, yes. Running-config and startup-config are the same in XR.

XR supports some other neat things that I find myself wishing regular IOS did - like CIDR notation and being able to patch a codebase on the fly without having to replace the entire image and often with no interruption in service at all. Of course, you need that when your image is 400MB and the time from initiating a reboot to resuming full functionality can exceed fifteen minutes.

ASRs are especially fun to reinstall code on - we had an RSP that wouldn't properly work as a hot standby, instead going into some kind of indeterminate state, and I decided to try completely wiping the installed code base and reinstalling from an image. Come to find out, the 9k doesn't actually support booting from flash... and the only way we could find out to do that was to move the entire base XR package over TFTP.

Of course, it seems to me that in a production environment you wouldn't ever actually need to install XR on a device from scratch, and with a fast connection doing it over TFTP didn't take THAT long (certainly not like Xmodeming a switch over 9600bps) but I remember being baffled why a device that cost tens of thousands of dollars can't boot off CF when an 1800 can.

EDIT: Like the previous poster, my vote (not very useful since I have no idea what your situation is) would be for the 9k, since I like working with IOX and presumably at some point not too long in the future they'll have a speed upgrade option like CRS-1 -> CRS-3.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 25, 2011

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Ninja Rope posted:

And if they don't pick you up after the 6 months, then you're out of work? Not to be overly cynical but it's really easy to make someone feel like they're "definitely going to get hired on full time". Until you have it in writing don't count on it.

Yeah, but I feel like this is a big opportunity and a 3 out of 6 chance ain't bad. My backup plan would be to save up money and if I do get unemployed then I can find a job pretty quickly. To me, the benefits out way the risks, but I may be looking at it from an inexperienced view.

I mean, it only took me a week or so to get 4 interviews. Push comes to shove I can do something that isn't network engineering too.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 25, 2011

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

XakEp posted:

Ok, so I have a stupid question. I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something dumb, but hell if I can spot it. I'm playing with GRE tunnels at the moment, and I just took this whole thing down to something simple. I'm using two 3725s with a serial connection between them. I can get regular GRE tunnels to come up, and to make sure it's working I put an access list on one of the WAN interfaces that blocks ICMP, nothing else. I have EIGRP working over the tunnel, yay. Everything is good.

Then I change the tunnel source to a loopback on each tunnel and it stops working. The tunnel stays up/up, but suddenly traffic stops going over the tunnel.

The hell?

How do the loopbacks reach each other when the tunnel is sourced off the physical interface vs source off the loopbacks? I'm guessing they either don't have a route to each other; or they are reaching each other via the tunnel, thus causing a recursive routing problem.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It will still be wiped once it reloads.

I'll get config register tomorrow. I'm doing late night updates out in the field right now.

Then my vote is your config register is 0x2402

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

inignot posted:

How do the loopbacks reach each other when the tunnel is sourced off the physical interface vs source off the loopbacks? I'm guessing they either don't have a route to each other; or they are reaching each other via the tunnel, thus causing a recursive routing problem.

I had a brainfart and forgot how traffic passes over a GRE tunnel vs between the interfaces. Pinging tunnel destinations has to pass over the WAN link, not the tunnel itself, whereas traffic to other destinations over the GRE tunnel will pass just fine.

It's sorted out and working now. Duh. Thanks!

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Then my vote is your config register is 0x2142

Fixed that for you.

0x2402 would enable break, and all zeroes broadcast.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/activities/Tool-confreg.htm#confbitmeans

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Then my vote is your config register is 0x2402

Configuration register is 0x2142

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Well that's your problem.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Someone probably had to break in / do a password recovery and then forgot to set the config register back to normal.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Has anyone implemented WCCP on a Nexus 7k running 5.1(2)? I believe that our bluecoats are set up correctly for L2/Mask for WCCP, but it doesn't seem like the service groups are being handled correctly. Haven't really done debugging so far yet, just looking to see if anyone else has done this and if you have any pointers.

CrackTsunami
Sep 21, 2004
I enjoy the eating of babies.

ragzilla posted:

(not service affecting but) what's your ARP table look like on the CE? iirc routing a static out a broadcast media interface will result in a lot of ARP lookups which may be a 'bad thing'.

This can be service affecting because the router will start populating the arp table with entries for any host that can be reached from this interface, local or not. Eventually you run out of memory and the router crashes.

Cisco has a doc on it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ef7b2.shtml

I seem to remember reading somewhere that CEF was somehow going to assist with lowering resource usage but I can't find the doc now.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone know of an application that will send e-mail alerts if netflow sees a spike in packets?

We're using Netflow on our core and Netflow EE for pretty graphs; we had a client get DDoS'd but since we only monitor core traffic the packet increase was barely visible. Netflow EE and Netflow both can see the packet increase per vlan in their own ways but neither have e-mail notification for it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

CrackTsunami posted:

This can be service affecting because the router will start populating the arp table with entries for any host that can be reached from this interface, local or not. Eventually you run out of memory and the router crashes.

Cisco has a doc on it: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ef7b2.shtml

I seem to remember reading somewhere that CEF was somehow going to assist with lowering resource usage but I can't find the doc now.

Possibly, usually it leads to increased CPU load since ARP is all slow path. We talked about this a while ago with Bardlebee and a few others. Don't do it!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Okay, I got another one. Is is possible to configure "anonymous call block" as a toggle feature in the CUCM? I can see that you can turn it on, on a SIP trunk, but I don't see where you could create that as a vertical service code or anything.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Not entirely, 100% Cisco, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around this today. I was presented with the following question:

If you telnet into a Cisco switch, and you have a device on a switchport that has a static IP of 192.168.4.2, what is the easiest way to communicate with that device via telnet? Set up a temporary vlan for 192.168.4.* and put that switchport into the vlan?

Here's the gist of what's going on. One PoE device is being installed per switch, on approximately 285 switches in approximately 27 locations. The PoE device is set to 192.168.4.2 from the factory. It needs to be set to DHCP and thrown in the appropriate VLAN, and that can be done via Telnet. The 192.168.4 subnet/scope doesn't exist on these switches, so you can't just telnet via the switch itself.

I'm trying to find a way for my guys to avoid going to 27 different campuses, walking to each IDF, plugging their laptop in, just to make a minor configuration change on that device.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

PainBreak posted:

Not entirely, 100% Cisco, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around this today. I was presented with the following question:

If you telnet into a Cisco switch, and you have a device on a switchport that has a static IP of 192.168.4.2, what is the easiest way to communicate with that device via telnet? Set up a temporary vlan for 192.168.4.* and put that switchport into the vlan?

Here's the gist of what's going on. One PoE device is being installed per switch, on approximately 285 switches in approximately 27 locations. The PoE device is set to 192.168.4.2 from the factory. It needs to be set to DHCP and thrown in the appropriate VLAN, and that can be done via Telnet. The 192.168.4 subnet/scope doesn't exist on these switches, so you can't just telnet via the switch itself.

I'm trying to find a way for my guys to avoid going to 27 different campuses, walking to each IDF, plugging their laptop in, just to make a minor configuration change on that device.

Any recommendations?

You could put a secondary address on an SVI and then source the telnet from that ip on the switch. Or you could just configure the POE devices before shipping them out for install.