Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

piss posted:

What's a good mid range wireless router? The one I have sucks.

The wrt54g is pretty much the defacto answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
How do I find a good therapist? I need help :(

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones

the aftermath posted:

Just Google "therapists in [your area]" and you should get a good list. Read up on their specialties on their bio pages to see if there is a therapist that could be of particular help, and see if you can find some reviews about them. Good luck, and hang in there!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

What's a better router than that then? I have a wrt54g and the range sucks. Plus I want multi-band a/n/b/g or whatever that can accept a lot of connections.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What's a better router than that then? I have a wrt54g and the range sucks. Plus I want multi-band a/n/b/g or whatever that can accept a lot of connections.

You're in the US right? Sign up on this site (it's a thing run by the Federal government) and you might get a new, free, decent router that also is used to collect information on how closely your isp matches their promised services.

http://www.testmyisp.com/

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
They're giving away the Netgear WNR3500L wireless router. If that's a really good one (it seems like it but I have a hard time telling), I would rather just drop $100 on it than deal with that whole mess.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Sometimes in tv and movies you hear the dialogue "You're fired." "You can't fire me. I quit!"

What, if any, are the technical differences between what happens when you're fired and when you quit? Like if you knew you were going to be fired in a short time anyway, what are the pros/cons of quitting first? Or making the above statement. I've only been let go once and only quit once but I honestly don't know the difference. I think I've heard you can collect unemployment if you're fired but not if you quit. Does quitting look better when you interview for your next job? I'm sure the accounting department uses different terminology when talking about a former employee who was "terminated", but is their separate paperwork they have to file for them? Or is it treated the same?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They're giving away the Netgear WNR3500L wireless router. If that's a really good one (it seems like it but I have a hard time telling), I would rather just drop $100 on it than deal with that whole mess.

Yeah it's that router. Just suggesting the FCC thing since you get it for free and get an additional thign for tracking connection quality.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, it says they download/upload a lot of data though, upwards of 50 gb/month...they seem to be looking for people with a relatively dormant internet connections. I torrent a lot of...Linux builds.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Elijya posted:

Sometimes in tv and movies you hear the dialogue "You're fired." "You can't fire me. I quit!"

What, if any, are the technical differences between what happens when you're fired and when you quit? Like if you knew you were going to be fired in a short time anyway, what are the pros/cons of quitting first? Or making the above statement. I've only been let go once and only quit once but I honestly don't know the difference. I think I've heard you can collect unemployment if you're fired but not if you quit. Does quitting look better when you interview for your next job? I'm sure the accounting department uses different terminology when talking about a former employee who was "terminated", but is their separate paperwork they have to file for them? Or is it treated the same?

In California at least, you can't collect unemployment if you're fired or if you quit. You have to be laid off (i.e. your company downsizes or is otherwise forced to let you go) to collect unemployment.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Have you made sure you're optimizing router location etc for the best strength/range?

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

I wouldn't use even a free Netgear router. From the web interface design to the range and reliability it's not worth free (unless I have nothing i guess).

I've worked with wireless routers for a long time and pretty much sworn off everything except linksys. N router would be "better" but if your range problems are locale specific you may not see any increase in range.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I just got an Apple TV today and I am having some issues integrating it with my current setup. Right now I have:

Samsung 42C450 plasma TV(http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN42C450-42-Inch-Plasma-Black/dp/B0036WT3V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301005891&sr=8-1)

Samsung HT-C550 lovely all in one home theater (http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-C550/XAA)

Toshiba Blu-ray player

Before I got the Apple TV I had the [HDMI out] from the blu-ray plugged into the TV and the [audio out] from the Blu-ray player plugged into the back of the home theater. This setup worked fine.

The Apple TV only has HDMI out, so I purchased an HDMI cable and some RCA cables. My intention was to go from [HDMI out] on the Apple TV to one of the HDMI inputs on my TV, then I assumed there would be an Audio out on the TV that I could plug the audio out from the TV into the home theatre.

I now see that there is only one audio input on the home theater. Am I hosed?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

piss posted:

What's a good mid range wireless router? The one I have sucks.

Read the OP of the Home Networking Megathread. "Mid-range" is very subjective depending on your price-point.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Elijya posted:

In this specific instance it's just a "no, gently caress you" type of thing.

Different companies have difference policies regrading paperwork and which kind of reference they can give out. Lots of places now are scared of libel suits so they will only confirm that "Yes, Gary was in fact employed here from X to Y date" or some will also add if they would rehire you or not with no elaboration.

Some guy might also fill them in on every little detail of your time spent there, including "I tried to fire him for stealing and he quit before I got the chance."

Some places will give you the option of resigning before they fire you so that either they won't have to pay unemployment, out of respect, to protect themselves from a wrongful termination suit, so that you won't have to lie in future interviews, because they don't feel like filling out the paperwork required for firing somebody, or any combination of those reasons.

Baboon Nigga
Jan 3, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ah, thank you.

BorderPatrol posted:

Read the OP of the Home Networking Megathread. "Mid-range" is very subjective depending on your price-point.

And thank you as well.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Human Tornada posted:

Some places will give you the option of resigning before they fire you so that either they won't have to pay unemployment,

This was the tidbit I heard that made me wondering if there were more differences: Apparently if a company fires you, they are responsible for paying your unemployment (varies from state to state and job to job I assume?). I always thought unemployment was a government hand out to help people for a few months in between jobs so we don't end up with a bunch of in-debt homeless people. But apparently the money comes from the employer who fired you? But only if you've been let go, and in some places fired, but rarely if you quit. And the answer to my question is not only are "fired" and "quit" different, but so is "let go." Is this correct? The one time I was let go I found another job very quickly and was living with my parents anyway, so I've never applied for unemployment and know nothing about it.

V Thanks all, especially Human Tornada.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 25, 2011

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Once, twice, thrice, _______ , _______

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jam2 posted:

Pretty sure there aren't any past thrice.

Elijya posted:

This was the tidbit I heard that made me wondering if there were more differences: Apparently if a company fires you, they are responsible for paying your unemployment (varies from state to state and job to job I assume?). I always thought unemployment was a government hand out to help people for a few months in between jobs so we don't end up with a bunch of in-debt homeless people. But apparently the money comes from the employer who fired you? But only if you've been let go, and in some places fired, but rarely if you quit. And the answer to my question is not only are "fired" and "quit" different, but so is "let go." Is this correct? The one time I was let go I found another job very quickly and was living with my parents anyway, so I've never applied for unemployment and know nothing about it.

No, unemployment is definitely a government thing, not from your previous employer. That's why there was that huge uproar not too long ago about unemployment benefits not being extended by Congress.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
It stops there.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Jam2 posted:

Fourfold, fivefold.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Jeffrey Colon posted:

There isn't a song ID thread is there?

This is a bit of a long shot, so I'd be pretty amazed if someone could get this, but I'm looking for a song that came on my Jurassic 5 radio on Pandora yesterday.

Its old school rap song that is in similar style to Biz Markie and specifically the song Just a Friend (in fact, that song came on immediately after the one in question). It starts out with flutes/some sort of brass pipe backed by a beat and lasts throughout the song. The rapper actually mentions the flutes in the very beginning (Something along the lines of "what the hell these flutes about?").

and no, its not Jurassic 5 - "If You Only Knew". Its more old school than that.

Sorry for the vague description, it was a pretty awesome song and I for some reason didn't have the sense to look at who it was by. I figure anyone who listens to Jurassic 5 radio pretty regularly might know it as Pandora tends to repeat songs pretty often.

Flute Loop by the Beastie Boys?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSXSMbdX8E

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

madprocess posted:

Fourfold, fivefold.

Those would obviously go with twofold, threefold...

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Elijya posted:

Ready for the "big lie"? Here it is: If you work hard and do your job to the best of your ability you will not be 'fired'.

Here's the truth: Unemployment insurance is basically your government working for you (don't get used to it): If you were "fired" without good reason, you were "laid off". If a company "lays off" people frequently they will pay a higher 'insurance' rate for every employee.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007

Jam2 posted:

Google it. There is nothing else.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are there any good google document apps for android? I like the idea of being able to get up to go to the bathroom and to keep writing while I'm pooping

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

change my name posted:

Are there any good google document apps for android? I like the idea of being able to get up to go to the bathroom and to keep writing while I'm pooping

If taking a dump is interrupting your productivity to the point of wanting this sort of thing, then I would suggest increasing your fiber intake.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Idran posted:

No, unemployment is definitely a government thing, not from your previous employer. That's why there was that huge uproar not too long ago about unemployment benefits not being extended by Congress.

The government hands out the checks, but an employer pays an unemployment compensation tax. The higher the ratio of tax paid:unemployment paid out, the less UC tax that company pays.

Elijya posted:

The term "let go" could mean either "fired" or "laid off".

Different states (probably) have different laws concerning who gets unemployment and who doesn't, but I think for the most part if you get fired "with cause" (e.g. you showed up drunk) the employer can fight your UC claim in order to keep their UC tax rate low.

I don't think it's possible to get UC anywhere if you quit your job. At least I hope it's not.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jam2 posted:

Four times, five times.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

the aftermath posted:

The googling/phonebook thing is a good start, but you may need to make sure the therapist takes your insurance, so be sure to ask on the phone when you call places up whether they take whatever you have. Or, you can probably call your insurance and ask for a list of covered therapists in your area. They may actually have this available to find online, too.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

a fellow creative posted:

How can I tell my mom I'm Wiccan?

I have been pondering this question over and over in my mind and I am still unsure of what to do. She told me I can't be Wiccan, but to be quite honest I shall not listen, this is what I believe in. If I don't tell her and she finds out then I will be in even more trouble. I need to tell her in a straightforward way that won't sound offensive or rude. I really don't want to upset her, but she needs to know the truth. How can I tell her I'm Wiccan?

Oh and by the way, she is very strongly a Christian and believes in Jesus Christ very strongly as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Here's a stupid question: how did this warrant a month long probation? Is it because you're a humorless piece of poo poo with a power trip on a loving internet forum?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Labes For Days posted:

Here's a stupid question: how did this warrant a month long probation? Is it because you're a humorless piece of poo poo with a power trip on a loving internet forum?

It's probably because that guy has only posted 3 times in the past month and all of them were similar. The last one was also a lame attempt at starting a fight and the one before that was simply, "I like to wear bras on my rear end when I masturbate."

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have to skim over that crap when reading the forums.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Just look at his rap sheet. Dude thinks he's hilarious when he's really an unfunny piece of poo poo. Just imagine him typing out a post while snickering to himself and making this face: :smug: and maybe it'll help you feel better about him getting a month long probation.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I can't believe you guys think that's worth a month. Even his other ones weren't worth the week-long probes he was given.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Rules thread posted:

...if you are incredibly funny, you can probably get away with just about anything. Something Awful is a forum on a comedy website, and being mean can be a great way of producing comedy. Just remember that the people in charge of determining the amount of comedy in your antagonistic wordplay are notoriously unfunny moderators, and it's entirely up to their judgment. If you aren't sure, don't post it.

The mods have clearly demonstrated that they do not think he is funny via repeated probations. Trying his lovely fakeposting humor once and getting probated for it should have been enough of an indication to him that he should stop because the mods don't think its a valuable contribution to the forums. I imagine that the month long probation is a response to the fact that he clearly is not taking the hint.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Labes For Days posted:

I can't believe you guys think that's worth a month. Even his other ones weren't worth the week-long probes he was given.

Why do you care? Is he in danger of beating your record of bans or something?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the aftermath posted:

Does your employer have an employee assistance plan? I think they are pretty common these days; you call them up and they hook you up with someone in your area. Generally you'll get a few visits covered free under your plan. They may be linked with your insurance so that whoever they find you is covered under your insurance if you keep going, but that's just a guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Labes For Days posted:

This isn't the only thread that user is making GBS threads up. He's pretty well-known for terrible unfunny fakeposting, and the mods hate that.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Labes For Days posted:

The more he does it the longer the probations can be. And he already has a permaban under his belt for this little gem:

a fellow creative posted:

My New Years resolution is to get rid of my hentai habit completely and give up on lolicon and stuff. Also, I will get serious on the things I need to do, and stop wasting my own time.

...and while I'm at it, I need to start trying a little harder on getting a girlfriend again ^_^;;

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Trying his lovely fakeposting humor once and getting probated for it should have been enough of an indication to him that he should stop because the mods don't think its a valuable contribution to the forums. I imagine that the month long probation is a response to the fact that he clearly is not taking the hint.
If someone gets off of a week's probation for doing some idiotic poo poo and goes right back to doing idiotic poo poo, well, guess a week wasn't enough. That poster had fakeposted and been probated for it before to the tune of a day, a week, a ban, another week, another day, and still kept on going. Nice to know he has lots of e-friends who want to martyr themselves, though.