Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

So here's a somewhat tricky situation that I'm not sure how to handle.

I live at an apartment complex and recently got new neighbors across the hall. When they moved in, I noticed they had a dog, since a lot of dog supplies were piled out on their balcony. I didn't think anything of it at the time, since they were still getting settled in, but it has now become abundantly clear that they store the dog itself outside. All the time.

It literally spends at least 16-18 hours outside every day (and their balcony door isn't open, so it's shut out there). My girlfriend has seen it as early as 9 or 10 a.m. and I've seen it as late as midnight, even when it's quite cold. Neither of us have ever seen them walk the dog or even interact with it while it's on the porch. Predictably, the dog has a pretty grouchy temperament and flips out whenever someone passes by. As far as I can tell, they only bring it inside when they sleep, as even its food and water dishes are out there. EDIT: And we just discovered that they've got it using pee pads! Wonderful.

My question is this: How do I handle this poo poo? I don't want to accuse someone of neglecting their animal when I don't even know them, but this whole situation is just really fishy. The landlord is doing balcony inspections soon (they don't want you using your porch as extended storage, basically) and I'm thinking of letting her know about that dog. Plenty of people (myself included) give their dogs some time outside, but this is different. I've become increasingly worried about that dog, so I'd appreciate any advice.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

MeKeV posted:

We let the vet have a look and she said she'd remove it, but then started talking about sedation (which to us seemed a bit unnecessary), and gave us a fee quote of £180 (GBP) which seemed way over the top for, in essence, a bit of cosmetic chopping.

Is it true sedation or anesthesia? I'm not too sure of vet costs across the pond, but doing a currency conversion shows that in USD it would be $300, which is high for a simple skin tag removal.

Is it really just the skin tag removal + sedation/anesthesia? Is there a laboratory fee in there for sending the skin tag off to lab? Were there pain meds/antibiotics added onto the bill? Pre-anesthetic bloodwork?

I would also ask your vet if there were cheaper routes you could take with the skin tag removal. Just asking them might yield some ways to cut costs, as I don't really know what exactly makes up the estimate.

Edit:
RumbleFish
It's really tricky to know what to do in that situation. Do you go to the people and complain? Do you go to a higher authority first? In my opinion, I would go higher authority first. If you go to the people, they will know that you are watching, and if you have to end up doing something that'll piss them off, then they'll know (or at least think) it was you. Though, you could also try communicating with them anonymously, either by leaving typed notes (no handwriting!) or by contacting the apartment manager (although if the dog isn't barking, there isn't much they can do anyway).

Neglect cases are really hard to fix.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 21, 2011

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This probably doesn't deserve a whole thread, so I hope you guys can help:

I recently moved into a new apartment, and I think some outside cats are marking on my front door. I didn't think much about it at first, but this morning when I came out to go to work the smell of cat piss was staggering, and I noticed a few spots on my actual door (i.e. it went through the metal grating security door).

My front door is at the top of a single flight of stairs, which are covered in that green grass-carpet. I'm the only one at the top of these stairs, one neighbor below (who has an outside cat, but I think it's female and probably too fat to get up to my door anyway). I'm worried that the carpet-stuff has soaked up the smell and that I can't get rid of it without having the land-lord replace everything, which still might not stop the cat(s) from doing it again.

I have no idea which cats are doing this, or when. Is there something I can spray up there that will A) keep them from marking it more and/or B) get rid of the drat smell?

Thanks!

e: if it will help I can take a picture when I get off work today.

Chard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 21, 2011

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Chard posted:

cat marking

An enzymatic cleaner, the one I've seen most often recommended is Nature's Miracle, should help out. Just soak everything in it that you can. Hopefully that will help.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Is it true sedation or anesthesia? I'm not too sure of vet costs across the pond, but doing a currency conversion shows that in USD it would be $300, which is high for a simple skin tag removal.

Is it really just the skin tag removal + sedation/anesthesia? Is there a laboratory fee in there for sending the skin tag off to lab? Were there pain meds/antibiotics added onto the bill? Pre-anesthetic bloodwork?

I would also ask your vet if there were cheaper routes you could take with the skin tag removal. Just asking them might yield some ways to cut costs, as I don't really know what exactly makes up the estimate.

I can't remember if it's sedation or anesthesia now actually, she mentioned she prefers whichever one it is over the other. I think it's for sedation though.

No blood work, or tag testing after removal. Some antibiotics included. The pricing she used was based on a wart removal, she said.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cassiope posted:

An enzymatic cleaner, the one I've seen most often recommended is Nature's Miracle, should help out. Just soak everything in it that you can. Hopefully that will help.

OK, I'll give that a shot probably tomorrow and see how it goes. My concern at this point is mainly how much area I have to cover (large), and how soaked-in it is (completely, repeated doses). I fear this could get pricey. Thanks though!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

My roommate has a large black lab mix, Lucifer, who is extremely ball obsessed. She takes him to the dog park regularly so that she can throw the ball far enough to make things fun for him, and he enjoys this greatly. Recently (over the winter) he started splitting open his nails (lengthwise), which has resulted in a couple of vet visits and rounds of antibiotics. The vet suggested supplements (fish oil, folic acid, and one other I forget atm), but he appears to be allergic to them, as he started snorting and coughing when we started giving them to him. Still working on trying to find something that will work for him in that department. Switching his food may be an option down the road (he gets the Kirkland food atm, not amazing, but decent and affordable).

In the meantime, she wanted him to still be able to run around without messing up his feet. So she bought him some of the Ruffwear shoes. They work great, he hasn't messed up any nails in the 3 trips since she got them. Unfortunately, now that his feet aren't getting messed up, the genius is running so fast he winds up skidding, and this has resulted in him scraping up the backs of his thighs to the point they bleed.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent him injuring himself this way? He's rather energetic and we all suffer when he can't run.

Here is a picture of the idiot himself, wearing his boots.

Ceridwen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 22, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

The vet suggested supplements (fish oil, folic acid, and one other I forget atm), but he appears to be allergic to them, as he started snorting and coughing when we started giving them to him. Still working on trying to find something that will work for him in that department. Switching his food may be an option down the road (he gets the Kirkland food atm, not amazing, but decent and affordable).

I'm not entirely convinced that's an allergic reaction (logic below)... could be that the supplements taste icky... then again, respiratory signs as the reaction could mean that the reaction to whatever it is he's reacting to is a nasty reaction, so to be on the safe side, ya, avoiding them would probably be a good idea, but... did you call the vet and tell them this, seeing as it was what was prescribed? Did they recommend switching/anything?

Here's the logic behind the ingredients/reactions:

First, I've seen some of the Kirkland dog food ingredients and there are mentions of 'fish meal' in some of them. If he was allergic to fish, that would've shown earlier if he is on those diets. Not to mention that oils don't really have that much protein in them (if any) in the first place to cause allergic reactions, but it could happen. Second, depending on what the folic acid is compounded in/with, maybe there's an allergic reaction there, but I doubt that he could be allergic to folic acid itself as it's a really small molecule (compared to proteins) and unlikely to be enough of a trigger to the immune system... not to mention that it's also an ingredient in the Kirkland dog food as well as a required nutrient. The third supplement I can't comment on.

Edit:
OMG he's adorable! I love the name.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that's an allergic reaction (logic below)... could be that the supplements taste icky... then again, respiratory signs as the reaction could mean that the reaction to whatever it is he's reacting to is a nasty reaction, so to be on the safe side, ya, avoiding them would probably be a good idea, but... did you call the vet and tell them this, seeing as it was what was prescribed? Did they recommend switching/anything?

Here's the logic behind the ingredients/reactions:

First, I've seen some of the Kirkland dog food ingredients and there are mentions of 'fish meal' in some of them. If he was allergic to fish, that would've shown earlier if he is on those diets. Not to mention that oils don't really have that much protein in them (if any) in the first place to cause allergic reactions, but it could happen. Second, depending on what the folic acid is compounded in/with, maybe there's an allergic reaction there, but I doubt that he could be allergic to folic acid itself as it's a really small molecule (compared to proteins) and unlikely to be enough of a trigger to the immune system... not to mention that it's also an ingredient in the Kirkland dog food as well as a required nutrient. The third supplement I can't comment on.

Edit:
OMG he's adorable! I love the name.

The snorting wasn't a right after eating thing, but something that continued all day for several days before we realized it had started right when he started the supplements. We stopped them and sure enough it stopped by the end of the next day. He did not seemed bothered by the taste at all, as he would eat the pills even if we just dropped them on top of his food (though most of the time he got them in string cheese).

He's never had an allergic reaction to anything else, and this might not be a true allergy, but it was incredibly obnoxious for us and seemed to really be bothering him (like he was constantly trying to clear out his nose).

She hasn't been back to ask the vet about it yet. He's racked up quite a vet bill in the last two months and since this isn't anything life threatening she's waiting a couple of paychecks for that. She'd call but for some reason (possibly the dog's name, we're in a very conservative area), the receptionist at the vet's office hates her and is as unhelpful as possible every time she's called previously.

Honestly, it's getting close to new vet time. Besides the receptionist issue, the vet suggested initially that she put the dog on a brand supplement that did not even contain very much of the things he told her she needed to supplement (wtf?) and they did a complete poo poo job with her cat when she took it in to get SoftPaws.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Chard posted:

OK, I'll give that a shot probably tomorrow and see how it goes. My concern at this point is mainly how much area I have to cover (large), and how soaked-in it is (completely, repeated doses). I fear this could get pricey. Thanks though!

Yeah, from what I gather the idea is that the enzymatic cleaners make it so the cats can't smell "hey this is where I marked before/where that other cat marked before" so they won't immediately desire to mark there again.

I'd wash it all down with bleach and water, and then do a scrubbing with the Nature's Miracle. I really don't know how to keep the cats from coming back though. You definitely don't want to have them just keep marking your newly cleaned door.

Do you have any motion sensor Halloween decorations? That might do the trick

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ceridwen posted:

The snorting wasn't a right after eating thing, but something that continued all day for several days before we realized it had started right when he started the supplements. We stopped them and sure enough it stopped by the end of the next day.

(like he was constantly trying to clear out his nose)

She'd call but for some reason (possibly the dog's name, we're in a very conservative area), the receptionist at the vet's office hates her and is as unhelpful as possible every time she's called previously.

that she put the dog on a brand supplement that did not even contain very much of the things he told her she needed to supplement (wtf?) and they did a complete poo poo job with her cat when she took it in to get SoftPaws.

Very interesting with the reaction... that's definitely something for the vet to check out...

But it sucks that the receptionist hates you. Some people just don't have a sense of humor these days...

A supplement that didn't have the ingredients he needed in the frist place? That's really odd... do you remember the name at all? I'm a big fan of researching all the various supplements people give their pets. Some of them are really good and I take note of those to recommend for later, while other ones give me a fantastic chuckle and I try to explain how/why they... well... need supplementing themselves...

In any case, I wish Lucifer luck!

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
I recently gave my dog a fleece blanket that I used over the winter because he loves sleeping with and chewing on fleece. For the past couple of days, he has been acting really weird with the blanket. Today I have caught him 3 times suckling the blanket...he bites down on it, kneads his paws, and his eyes roll around in his head. I was extremely freaked out the first time it happened--do other dogs do this? Is he stressed out or something?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Sounds like he loves his blankie and thinks it's momma. :3:

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Question for the groomers out there:

Yesterday Spirit gave the back of my hand a good scratch and I realized that her nails are getting really long. However I've a) never trimmed dog nails before and b) am nervous about trimming her nails anyways because they're black and I can't see the quick so it makes me worried that I'd snip too much and hurt her. So I'd feel more comfortable handing it over to a professional.

However, Spirit is really shy around new people. She barks and shies away whenever someone reaches for her. She warms up to folks, but it takes awhile for her to be comfortable with new people. We're working on building up her self esteem and her tolerance for new people, and while she's never bitten anyone I could see it happening if she gets too stressed out, especially with the whole "Head in the loop, strange people picking up her feet" thing going on. If I take her to get her nails trimmed, would I be allowed to stay in the back with her to help calm her down and give her treats for behaving? Or is this something groomers come across frequently and already have workaround for it provided I give them fair warning? Or would it just be too stressfull for my dog and I should just man up and give trimming her nails myself a shot until she settles down?

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
I'm about to be changing vets, the vet I've been using since I first got Moxie was kinda just the first random one I decided to go with and I've since realized I don't like how they do business.

What's the standard procedure for changing vets? Do I just ask the old vet for copies of Moxie's paperwork? Does the new vet call them and get the paperwork?

Also what things specifically should I be asking when deciding on a new vet? Here's what I've thought of to ask so far:

What is included in the annual checkup/shots?
How much does the annual cost?
What flea and heartworm preventative do they sell?
Do they have an emergency number?

I know there's gotta be things I'm missing. What's important to you guys in a vet?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Cassiope posted:

What's the standard procedure for changing vets? Do I just ask the old vet for copies of Moxie's paperwork? Does the new vet call them and get the paperwork?

I don't know about the other stuff but yes, you just ask for your pet's records to be released to you.

Oh, and if you have friends with pets or a rescue in the area, ask around to see who they use for their vets.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That thing I sent posted:

Yesterday Spirit gave the back of my hand a good scratch and I realized that her nails are getting really long. However I've a) never trimmed dog nails before and b) am nervous about trimming her nails anyways because they're black and I can't see the quick so it makes me worried that I'd snip too much and hurt her. So I'd feel more comfortable handing it over to a professional.

However, Spirit is really shy around new people. She barks and shies away whenever someone reaches for her. She warms up to folks, but it takes awhile for her to be comfortable with new people. We're working on building up her self esteem and her tolerance for new people, and while she's never bitten anyone I could see it happening if she gets too stressed out, especially with the whole "Head in the loop, strange people picking up her feet" thing going on. If I take her to get her nails trimmed, would I be allowed to stay in the back with her to help calm her down and give her treats for behaving? Or is this something groomers come across frequently and already have workaround for it provided I give them fair warning? Or would it just be too stressfull for my dog and I should just man up and give trimming her nails myself a shot until she settles down?

I'm no groomer, but I think it's important that you learn how to clip your dog's nails eventually. I feel that nails should be cut every 2-3 weeks, and going to a groomer that often just isn't feasible for a simple procedure like that.

That said, go to a groomer and have them show you the proper procedure, and hopefully you'll get a better feeling for where the quick is. Then you can give it a try on your own. If you explain to the groomer your issue and how you want participate in the procedure I can't foresee them saying no.

Also, watch this video for some ideas of how best to make the nail trim as enjoyable as possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWZUcLfHXLE

I've nicked my dogs' quicks before, and while it's not enjoyable (and holy gently caress can those things bleed...) it's not caused any lasting consequences. Don't worry too much about it.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
I'm sure she'd let ME trim her nails, since she's super comfortable around me and lets me poke and prod and bother her. We also do footsy time where I play with her feet, so she's used to me handling her toes. I'm just worried about the groomer's safety and whether it would be putting too much stress on a shy dog to let someone she doesn't know handle her that intimately. I certainly don't mind standing over their shoulder and learning though.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Cassiope posted:

I'm about to be changing vets, the vet I've been using since I first got Moxie was kinda just the first random one I decided to go with and I've since realized I don't like how they do business.

Also what things specifically should I be asking when deciding on a new vet? Here's what I've thought of to ask so far:

What is included in the annual checkup/shots?
How much does the annual cost?
What flea and heartworm preventative do they sell?
Do they have an emergency number?

I know there's gotta be things I'm missing. What's important to you guys in a vet?

You can either ask for the records yourself, or the new vet can ask them to be faxed over.

As for questions for a new vet, definitely a good idea to ask about emergency arrangements (whether they see emergencies regularly, or the doctor is on call, or if there is an ER in town they recommend). If cost is a concern you could ask for ballpark figures for basic diagnostics, like a set of x-rays or basic bloodwork. If there is a particular health issue you have concerns about (vaccine type or schedule, pain management, a specific disease your pet has, nutrition) you can ask about their experience with that issue or their willingness to discuss it with you.

Mostly, as a client I tend to judge a practice by the general feel of the place--does the waiting room have separate dog and cat areas, or enough room for animals and owners to spread out? Is the waiting area bright and cheerful and CLEAN? Are the receptionists friendly and helpful? As far as the vets themselves, it can take some experience to decide if they know their stuff or not, or if you like their style, so that's where you should talk to your pet-owning friends and see what their experience has been.

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010

I'm not a groomer, but I have worked at kennel for 4 years, where I gave plenty of baths and clipped nails.

I have never had a pet parent stay with me to learn how to clip nails, but if someone had asked, I would have been more than happy to teach them. Shy pups come in all the time for their nails and there are lots of great techniques a groomer can teach you, including treats and petting the dog with the tool. Very much like the video A Life Less provided. Stress is always a concern for dogs that are new to grooming, and your groomer will probably spend extra time to make her feel more comfortable

A groomer might suggest using a dremel (grinding tool) for the nails because they are black. By grinding down the nail quickly, the dremel will cauterize the quick if you do go a little too short. There are some dremels specifically for dogs nails, but I've just used a standard black and decker.

Either way, your groomer would be more than happy to help and teach you what is best for you and your pup.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

I'm sure she'd let ME trim her nails, since she's super comfortable around me and lets me poke and prod and bother her. We also do footsy time where I play with her feet, so she's used to me handling her toes. I'm just worried about the groomer's safety and whether it would be putting too much stress on a shy dog to let someone she doesn't know handle her that intimately. I certainly don't mind standing over their shoulder and learning though.

Our groomer will do Zoso's nails in the waiting room of the place, since he gets stressed out when they take him in the back room. They also let us hold him while they do it, which seems to help. You can ask around at different groomers to see if they'll be able to do that with you?

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Thanks guys. I'll give the groomers a call to see if they'll let me sit with her and watch what they do so that I can start trimming her nails too, and I'll warn them that she's very shy with people to see if there's antyhing they can do to help accomodate her.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
My cat Jade recently came back from the vet after a dental cleaning. He had a really sore throat after the operation and was coughing a lot, but his hoarseness has cleared up significantly after a few days and takes food really easily... however, he's sneezing a lot now. Like a couple of times every hour and still has some coughing. He's been very energetic and affectionate, and his eyes have been very clear with no tearing. I haven't seen any discharge around his sinuses either, so I'm wondering - is this normal, or is it possible that he may have picked up something like a viral infection while at the vet?

For the record, we will be taking him back in to the vet next Wednesday for a post-op check-up on his teeth (he had two extractions).

VV I have a neighbor who is overtly hostile when it comes to her dog (which she treats like poo poo). So I just put in anonymous tips to Animal Control

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
How do you approach a neighbor to tell them that they treat their dog like poo poo?

There's a yellow lab next door that just gets put outside every day while both people are at work, and as far as I can tell the poor thing has a small concrete step to sit on, or the driveway and that's it. She barks all day, enough that she's hoarse by noon and squeaking by the afternoon. :(

It doesn't rain often in LA, but its raining now and she's just sitting out there on her stoop, soaking wet. I know they're water dogs and all, but come the gently caress on.

We don't really talk to these people at all, and I don't know how to say something without just coming across like an rear end in a top hat nosy neighbor. I mean, they could at least buy a loving doghouse. Suggestions?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Usually a dog having no access to shelter from the elements (sun sounds the most dangerous one in this case) while living outside isn't allowed. You could call AC.

fembot
Jan 31, 2008

"She's a very sexy lady."
Who cares about being an rear end in a top hat? That sounds like straight up neglect to me. Take pictures, document, and call appropriate authorities. The dog doesn't deserve that.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
One important thing I always look into when looking for a new vet is what their hours are, how late are they open and do they have Saturday hours? A lot of times people figure out their animals are sick on a Friday night/Saturday morning because it's the first extended period of time you get to spend with your pet if you've been working all week.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
So which shots do you guys get each year for your dogs? I usually just go in and do whatever the vet says, distemper, parvo, rabies, etc. These are all shots that are needed every year, right? I remember hearing things like disagreement on whether distemper is needed every year vs three years and stuff like that. Anyone have input?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

So which shots do you guys get each year for your dogs? I usually just go in and do whatever the vet says, distemper, parvo, rabies, etc. These are all shots that are needed every year, right? I remember hearing things like disagreement on whether distemper is needed every year vs three years and stuff like that. Anyone have input?

Rabies vaccines come in 1-year and 3-year varieties so the timing should depend on which vaccine the vet carries.In general I think dogs get the 3-year vaccine, after the first puppy vaccine and a booster one year later.

Distemper and parvo usually come in the same shot (called DHPP, DAPP, DA2P, all sorts of things) and is given every 3 years, after the initial puppy series and the first booster a year later.

Lepto, if it is commonly vaccinated for in your area, is a yearly vaccine. Not all areas have lepto problems and not all dogs are exposed since leptospira transmission is through bodies of water, like creeks and ponds.

Bordatella/parainfluenza (kennel cough) is at least yearly, maybe more often depending on how often your dog is exposed to kennel/boarding situations.

Are there any others you are wondering about?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I have an issue when I take my dogs on walks. Neither of them like big dogs. When we got Daisy (she's a beagle mix), the shelter said that when she was found she'd been tied to a mastiff with a rope and had been basically dragged around for who knows how long. We saw the mastiff and he was huge, easily up to my waist, so I can understand why she doesn't like big dogs. She freaks out when she sees them. We try to do the whole give her treats when she sees them so she starts to associate them with good things routine and it works a little, but not all the time. But at least I know what I'm supposed to do.

The big problem is with Violet. She's a 14 week old beagle mix and just starting to get walks longer than up and down our street. When she sees a big dog she basically shuts down. She doesn't bark, growl, whine or any of the stuff Daisy does, she just stops and will not move or respond to anything, not even treats. I usually have to just pick her up and carry her until we get away from the dog. She'd been in the shelter since she was maybe 2 weeks old along with her litter mates so as far as I know she never had any kind of traumatic experience with a big dog. Any advice on how to handle a dog that just shuts down when she sees big dogs?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
PurpleJesus: repost your post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451

lifeless posts all over PI but it would suck to have your question overlooked in here

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Will do, thanks!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Question: My cat, who I adopted after he showed up as a stray a few years ago, cowers and acts fearful whenever I pass by him holding anything larger than a coffee cup in my hand. He stares at the item I'm holding like it's the devil and sometimes he runs. Other times when he's resting in my lap, if I reach over him to grab something off the desk he tenses up and, again, stares at the item fearfully. He's always been a bit timid. It took me awhile to earn his trust, but he's become incredibly sweet and affectionate. Does this mean his previous owner probably hit him with something on a regular basis? I'd hate to think that because he's such a mellow, kind-hearted dude.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Some cats are easily spooked like that without having any kind of abuse in their backgrounds. My parents have two sister cats that they've had since kittens, never hit or anything; Lucy is blasé about everything and Dora routinely freaks out about how we're going to kill her. By, you know, walking around with things in our hands, or perhaps getting up from a chair quickly.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
One of my cats is super easily spooked. Trash bag on the floor across the room? Gonna die. Shifting mail on the table? Gonna die. Sit up from the couch? Gonna die. Pour the food into her bowl too fast? Gonna die. There's nothing wrong with her, she's just super jumpy. She won't even walk on black surfaces because I assume she doesn't know there is floor there. When we redid my floor she REFUSED to walk over the black laminate and would just stand there crying pitifully until someone carried her over it. Other than that she's lovey and the princess of the house! Just a bit paranoid.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I've got a Lhasa Apso/Bichon mix with what I'm guessing is allergies?
Last Spring his paws got a little red and irritated, so I took him to the vet. The vet wasn't too concerned about it and basically just shrugged it off, the paws didn't bother him much though. The vet said if it was still bugging him a bit to try a different food, so we tried some Skin Allergy food and it didn't have an effect. Once winter started it completely disappeared.

In the past week, since it's started to warm up and the snow melt, his back paws only are really red and irritated. I think I'm going to take him to a new vet this time, but anyone have any idea what it could be/things to ask the vet? Allergy panel maybe?

Thanks

Vet said that since it isn't his food then it's something he inhales. He wants to try a gradual approach, start with the less extreme medicine and work our way up if it doesn't work. Sounds good to me. He gave me Pentoxiphylline (half a tablet twice daily) and Vanectyl-P (only for when his paws are really bad). Sound right to you guys?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Hi!
TL;DR - I'd like to know if there are any laws in the states (specifically PA) about how many dogs you can own and at what frequency.

I had a friend, now an ex-friend, who was also a client (same hobby, same business - I sold her custom made goods sold via internet) and she's always been a bit of a character: she does pretty much everything compulsively, has little understanding of her effects on others and has a massive ego combined with zero sensitivity.
Last month she flaked out on me, once again, for a big sum of money and kept asking for delays claiming health expenses and all sorts of iffy sounding excuses so I did a quick google search on her username, nothing too deep...

Turns out she's a shopaholic and uses people for freebies, haggles with bogus sob stories whenever she can - but here's my real problem:
I found out that she's "hoarding" dogs.
On her sales posts, she claims that all money goes to a good cause: rescue dogs.
Said rescue dogs are actually her *own 3 dogs* who just happen to be adopted from the local humane society and a no kill shelter nearby.
The money from her sales doesn't go towards anything specific like vet bills or food, it goes into her bank account which she happens to also use to pay for dog related expenses. As you can guess, most of her spending is not on dogs but on her "collections". This is minor fraud but there again, not really my problem.

She's fostering these dogs *outside* of any humane society - She is not a registered, monitored dog fosterer - and is not using any of appropriate services for proper adoption such as Petfinder.
She basically adopts dogs out from the humane society then finds new owners for them herself and when she doesn't find an owner she likes, she keeps the dog.

She's often said she wants to run her own shelter later in life and has indicated that she has to fight the urge to keep all the dogs that come through her house.

I asked about local dog refuges that she'd been hinting she was working for, then googled them. She'd got the names slightly wrong, she would know the proper names of these groups if she was an actual volunteer or member. Her foster dogs would also be on Petfinder if she was working with them as they use that service to list all available pets including ones being fostered/socialized/retrained.

She is a single young woman, student with a part time job with a precarious housing situation (has needed to move once and almost move another time in the past year) who currently has 3 dogs to care for and rotates another 1-2 dogs as foster dogs (as far as I can tell, every month or so). She adopts them from the two shelters close by, then finds suitable owners herself. This is someone who has serious trouble balancing finances, a short attention span and a tendancy to collect massively. I feel from the way she's talked, that she enjoys the novelty of a new dog without the commitment and somehow feels the local shelters aren't selective enough about who they adopt out to. I've tried to talk with her but she's very single minded and believes she can do no wrong. This is all borderline fraud, borderline legal activity so is there anything that can be done?
Just 18 months ago she was collecting exotic pets: iguanas, lizards and snakes and now they are all gone.
I'm concerned about the dogs. Is there a limit to how many dogs a person can own without a special licence? Is there a limit to how many dogs you can have in a quick time span?

Thankyou for reading!

n3wt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 25, 2011

Jung Jeezy
Dec 24, 2007

My dog's stomach is making loud noises I've never heard before. I'm not sure if someone else fed him this morning, but he had a normal poop after having a softish one yesterday. He's acting normal, just took him out for his noon walk/pee break. I've just never heard his tummy squeal so much before so I'm a little worried. There's lots of water in his dish but he's not going for it.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

n3wt posted:

Hi!
TL;DR - I'd like to know if there are any laws in the states (specifically PA) about how many dogs you can own and at what frequency.

Depends on your city and county codes. For instance, my county code limits 4 dogs/cats per household, but my city's codes are stronger at 3 dogs/cats per household, unless you have a kennel license.

Try googling [city/county] municipal animal codes or ordinances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

n3wt posted:

Hi!

Don't have any advice for PA dog limits, but drat, have you contacted the humane society she's adopting from and let them know that she's doing this? Because that is very not okay that she's just randomly adopting dogs out to people after signing HS paperwork stating she was the adopter. Unless it's a lovely humane society, they'll have her sign paperwork for each dog she adopts stating she's the sole person responsible for their care and she has to sign it to walk out of there with a dog, at least according to my scant animal legal knowledge.

At the very least, you could contact all the local rescues or shelters and let them know that she's making her own adoption rules and showing signs of beginning to hoard, so they could avoid adopting to her in the future.

drat that's a mess of crazy.