Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Fangs404 posted:

Signed up for Linode and migrated my MediaTemple site there today. I haven't done much web administration stuff under Linux before, but it was really easy and straightforward thanks to Linode's amazing documentation. I just got the base 512mb plan, and it's much faster than MT was. The flexibility of a VPS is awesome.

I have encountered one problem, though. I have a WordPress blog installed. When I try to upload a plugin through the web interface ([domain]/wordpress/wp-admin/plugin-install.php?tab=upload), it doesn't work. I get taken to a page that wants my FTP login info. I assumed this is a permissions issue, so I chmodded 777 wp-content and all directories under that directory (plugins, themes, upgrade, and uploads). It still fails, though. I Googled some, and some people suggest to chown with the httpd user (www-data). I tried that just to see if it worked, and it did. I don't want to do that, though, because it's a pain in the rear end to upload files through SFTP, and it's also insecure. Does anyone know how to fix this without chowning all the files for the httpd process?

If you enter your FTP info, it will still install the plugin tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Biowarfare posted:

get suphp working or something, iirc

Hey, this might be what I need. Thanks.

Bob Morales posted:

Don't 'chmod 777' and the whole reason you want to use sftp over ftp is because it's secure.

I think you misunderstood my problem.

eightysixed posted:

If you enter your FTP info, it will still install the plugin tho.

I don't actually have an FTP server running, and if possible, I'd like to keep it that way. I do all my file transfers over SSH (SFTP).

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Fangs404 posted:

Hey, this might be what I need. Thanks.

If that ends up being the case, post back if you would. I have the same issue with a website at work, and I just haven't had the time yet to look into what is needed to get automatic updates working.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

dvgrhl posted:

If that ends up being the case, post back if you would. I have the same issue with a website at work, and I just haven't had the time yet to look into what is needed to get automatic updates working.

It is indeed working. Documentation on how to setup suphp sucks, but http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/installing-suphp-on-debian-lenny-5-04-with-apache-2-2-9-2/ helped a lot. If you get an internal server error, know that you need to play around with the docroot and check_vhost_docroot settings in suphp.conf.

[edit]
I read that suphp runs about 25% slower than mod_php, so I decided to try to find a better solution without using suphp. Here's what I found:

WordPress has some suggestions for permissions. The important part is this:

quote:

All files should be owned by your user account on your web server, and should be writable by your username. Files should never be owned by the webserver process itself (sometimes this is www, or apache, or nobody).

Any file that needs write access from WordPress should be group-owned by the user account used by the webserver. For example, you may have a user account that lets you FTP files back and forth to your server, but your server itself may run using a separate user, in a separate usergroup, such as dhapache or nobody.

This alone, at least for me, wasn't quite enough to do the trick. What I discovered is that apparently WordPress checks to see if you are the user trying to write the files. Because the web user (in my case, www-data) is not the same as the owner of the files, it fails. It fails even if permissions are 777. The way to get beyond this is to add this line to your wp-config.php:

php:
<?
define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');?>
This indeed did the trick. So basically, add that line to your wp-config.php, and 644 all files and 755 all folders in your wordpress directory:

code:
find wordpress/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find wordpress/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
Then change the group ownership of whatever directories you need write access to and give the group write access:

code:
chgrp www-data wp-content/
You'll also need to do wp-content/plugins, wp-content/themes, and any other directories that WP may need write access to. On this same set of directories where you're changing the group, you also need to change the group permissions to allow write access:

code:
chmod g+w wp-content/
What some guys also recommend is simply leaving the user and group alone until you need to upgrade, and then doing this:

code:
chown -R www-data:www-data wordpress/
Do the upgrade, and when the upgrade is done, change the user back to what it was before. Kind of a pain, but it works.

[edit2]
Just wrote about this in much more detail on my site. This should clarify things.

http://www.fangsoft.net/?p=227

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 7, 2011

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
If your filesystem supports it you could use acl's to give access to your www user

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So Google decided to let me in to their dev program for 100GB/month. I don't know why, since I'm not one?

Google posted:

Thanks for your interest in Google Storage for Developers, and welcome to our preview! During the preview period, you will be able to store 100GiB of data monthly at no charge. Billing information is still required, however, since network requests will incur charges at the published rates

Anyways, even though it says that it's not transferable, I'll try and give it to a serious goon that wants it if I can. I guess PM me?

Edit: Already had 1 goon PM me. I'll let you each of you know if xyz doesn't pan out.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 7, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fangs404 posted:

It is indeed working. Documentation on how to setup suphp sucks, but http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/installing-suphp-on-debian-lenny-5-04-with-apache-2-2-9-2/ helped a lot. If you get an internal server error, know that you need to play around with the docroot and check_vhost_docroot settings in suphp.conf.

[edit]
I read that suphp runs about 25% slower than mod_php, so I decided to try to find a better solution without using suphp. Here's what I found:

WordPress has some suggestions for permissions. The important part is this:

This alone, at least for me, wasn't quite enough to do the trick. What I discovered is that apparently WordPress checks to see if you are the user trying to write the files. Because the web user (in my case, www-data) is not the same as the owner of the files, it fails. It fails even if permissions are 777. The way to get beyond this is to add this line to your wp-config.php:

php:
<?
define('FS_METHOD', 'direct');?>
This indeed did the trick. So basically, add that line to your wp-config.php, and 644 all files and 755 all folders in your wordpress directory:

code:
find wordpress/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
find wordpress/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
Then change the group ownership of whatever directories you need write access to and give the group write access:

code:
chgrp www-data wp-content/
You'll also need to do wp-content/plugins, wp-content/themes, and any other directories that WP may need write access to. On this same set of directories where you're changing the group, you also need to change the group permissions to allow write access:

code:
chmod g+w wp-content/
What some guys also recommend is simply leaving the user and group alone until you need to upgrade, and then doing this:

code:
chown -R www-data:www-data wordpress/
Do the upgrade, and when the upgrade is done, change the user back to what it was before. Kind of a pain, but it works.

[edit2]
Just wrote about this in much more detail on my site. This should clarify things.

http://www.fangsoft.net/?p=227

The point of suphp is that you can isolate users to their sites, and they can only read/write their own files. If you chown it to the user that the web server uses like that then if you have another site and an exploit is able to put any kind of php code on the system it will be able to also modify those files. Its a big help on an environment like cpanel where you are giving accounts to other people and running various websites with code packages you don't have control over. If someone leaves their Joomla out of date or runs crappy scripts that require modifying files a lot it keeps it from spreading elsewhere and getting code injected into all your sites (and thus getting flagged by google).

Another option: add mod_security and set that up with a good ruleset. That will protect the heck out of your site, even if the code stinks and keeps a log.

If you want wordpress performance you run a caching plugin (w3 total cache is my favorite) and combine it with memcache and/or the php apc module.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

JHVH-1 posted:

The point of suphp is that you can isolate users to their sites, and they can only read/write their own files. If you chown it to the user that the web server uses like that then if you have another site and an exploit is able to put any kind of php code on the system it will be able to also modify those files. Its a big help on an environment like cpanel where you are giving accounts to other people and running various websites with code packages you don't have control over. If someone leaves their Joomla out of date or runs crappy scripts that require modifying files a lot it keeps it from spreading elsewhere and getting code injected into all your sites (and thus getting flagged by google).

Another option: add mod_security and set that up with a good ruleset. That will protect the heck out of your site, even if the code stinks and keeps a log.

If you want wordpress performance you run a caching plugin (w3 total cache is my favorite) and combine it with memcache and/or the php apc module.

I understand what suphp does. I think you misunderstood my point. I expressly state that chowning is a very bad solution (read my blog entry). The solution I came up with (selectively chgrping just a few directories) is better than chowning everything (more secure) and better than suphp (much faster).

Most php scripts I use don't actually modify files/directories. They simply edit a database. My WP blog is the exception to that. I don't want/need suphp for every php site I run.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for some VPS suggestions, not really familiar with VPS-providers:

We are looking at setting up external tools(think SmokePing ect) to monitor our European services.
I want to do this from within Europe and from the US, being able to do this from the same VPS-provider would be a nice bonus.

Resource and bandwidth usage will be low, so network stability is my main concern.
Because I'm doing latency monitoring network reliability is important, I guess going for the lowest price will get me congestion and poor internet transit..

Being able to setup some extra shell accounts would also be nice.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Fangs404 posted:

I understand what suphp does. I think you misunderstood my point. I expressly state that chowning is a very bad solution (read my blog entry). The solution I came up with (selectively chgrping just a few directories) is better than chowning everything (more secure) and better than suphp (much faster).

Most php scripts I use don't actually modify files/directories. They simply edit a database. My WP blog is the exception to that. I don't want/need suphp for every php site I run.
I just toss varnish in front of everything with some rules and I just don't give a gently caress about the suphp performance hit anymore

Probably a bad idea, but :v:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

nex posted:

We are looking at setting up external tools(think SmokePing ect) to monitor our European services.
I want to do this from within Europe and from the US, being able to do this from the same VPS-provider would be a nice bonus.

Resource and bandwidth usage will be low, so network stability is my main concern.
Because I'm doing latency monitoring network reliability is important, I guess going for the lowest price will get me congestion and poor internet transit..

The answer here sounds like Linode

They have datacenters in London and the US, I'm pretty sure you can clone VPSs across any of their datacenters, they are completely stable (no downtime at all in the 6 months I've been with them, though I think one of their servers might have gone out a couple months ago, don't remember if that was Linode or someone else; and offer cheap backups services, but they rarely have ever had outages from what I hear).

$20/mo per VPS for the 512MB Ram/16g disk/ 200g b/w package

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

nex posted:

Are providers able to solicit here? You can spend :10bux: for a weeks worth of testing with us.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
You are with Voxel, correct?

Amsterdam, NY and Shanghai seems pretty sweet as the first two are the main points for our traffic. May I ask you is your main trans-atlantic provider? Level 3?

I might take you up on that offer soon. :)

Linode seems like a good alternative as well, judging from reviews online.

I don't really familiar with hourly billing on these services, how does it work? I guess a server running some kind of service would use CPU all the time, why would hourly that be a better choice than just a flat fee per month?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fangs404 posted:

Just wanted to point out that while its more secure there still would exist a problem if there was a hole in the code somewhere. A lot of worms will use access to a directory to place a file in it, run a script and then you end up with all kinds of junk from it scanning the system, placing stuff in places like /tmp/ etc.

Using mod_security fights against it, but if you are just doing one WP blog and keep it up to date I wouldn't worry.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

nex posted:

You are with Voxel, correct?

Amsterdam, NY and Shanghai seems pretty sweet as the first two are the main points for our traffic. May I ask you is your main trans-atlantic provider? Level 3?

I might take you up on that offer soon. :)

I don't really familiar with hourly billing on these services, how does it work? I guess a server running some kind of service would use CPU all the time, why would hourly that be a better choice than just a flat fee per month?

Yes, I'm a sysadmin @ voxel.net . I was suggesting hourly so you can test it out and only lose $10 or less if you find yourself not satisfied. I believe Telia and Level3 are the providers we use in Europe/Asia. You can poke someone from sales via the website if you need any more direct responses.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does anybody know a good, simple image-upload script I can drop on my server for my own use? So I don't have to use SFTP then SSH in to move the file.

I tried to look for a PHP script to do this a month or so back but literally every script I found either had a current exploit available, or its previous version was vulnerable and its current version was a year+ old, or it was an unnamed script that I assumed was exploitable.

So I guess I'd prefer Python or Perl or something. I don't care about auth, I'll have lighttpd handle it.

nex posted:

http://cheapest.prcn.co.cc/ has a sortable catalog of cheap VPSes. Cheap often but not always means congestion and unreliability, but there are exceptions! I got a Softlayer VPS from QuickWeb for an absurd we're-just-starting-up price ($60/yr) and haven't ever run into any problems normally associated with overselling (and very little downtime) that I'd normally expect to see for a cheap VPS.
lowendbox may also be useful. If an offer is cheap but the resources given are also very limited, they're probably not overselling anywhere near as bad as, say, Santrex. (who suck)
Of course, the $20+/mo providers are more likely to provide solid service. I prefer to spend time looking for a cheap-but-reliable provider (by trying multiple), but you might prefer to just go with a known-good provider.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 9, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
http://r-1.ch/img-hosting-script.tar.gz ?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
loving Christ, having a VPS is loving amazing. It's awesome to just be able to install whatever the gently caress I need to get poo poo going. I don't know how I ever lived with shared hosting before. And it's loving fast, too (well, Linode is, at least).

gently caress.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fangs404 posted:

loving Christ, having a VPS is loving amazing. It's awesome to just be able to install whatever the gently caress I need to get poo poo going. I don't know how I ever lived with shared hosting before. And it's loving fast, too (well, Linode is, at least).

gently caress.

Agreed. I keep a VPS around because while 90% of the time it's not doing anything, whatever it's $5 and is handy once in a while.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

less than three posted:

Agreed. I keep a VPS around because while 90% of the time it's not doing anything, whatever it's $5 and is handy once in a while.

I'm too lazy to get a website built on mine, so right now I ssh into it to program C homework on.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I use mine for IRC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SSL query: I've bought my mum an iPad, and she uses an email address I gave her on my VPS. Her ISP is a massive pain in the rear end and have (for the ten years she's used them) blocked SMTP:25. I've got an iPhone myself, and found that if I connect on SSL I can send and receive emails, but as of a few updates ago it bitches at me constantly because I don't have a cert.

So, before I give her a tablet that won't shut up about a connection I'm using purely to get around a dumb port block I thought I'd use the free PositiveSSL cert I had from a domain registration years ago. I think I've hosed up though.

I set up the CSR for mydomain.com and have confirmed everything on both sides, and entered the key that Comodo emailed me into cPanel and it's accepted it fine. However, my email clients talk to server.mydomain.com and this doesn't seem to be seeing the cert. I've changed my clients to connect to just plain mydomain.com, but they time out.

Did I specifically need to put server.mydomain.com in the forms? As it was a freebie, there's no way of modification now it seems. If I've done something irreversible, does anyone know a service I can use to generate a cert just for email that costs a few bucks?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Is mydomain.com and server.mydomain.com the same IP address? If so, it shouldn't be timing out. You might have a firewall issue. Another way to get around ISPs blocking port 25 is by enabling the submission port (587). Make sure it is set up with the same rules as port 25 and you can use that instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both domain and subdomain are on the same IP. I use WHM/cPanel, so there's no frontend for iptables by default but I did a list and here are the relevant parts:

Chain acctboth (2 references)
target prot opt source destination
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:http
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:http
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:smtp
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:smtp
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere tcp dpt:pop3
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com tcp spt:pop3
icmp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
icmp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
tcp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
tcp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
udp -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
udp -- anywhere server.mydomain.com
all -- server.mydomain.com anywhere
all -- anywhere server.mydomain.com

I don't know much about iptables (other than I had a $10/mo box once, did something with iptables and blocked everything that wasn't local out of it for a few hours) but nothing stands out to me as being a problem?

I looked at the SSL part of WHM however, and there is a cert there for server.mydomain.com as well (I added my new cert, but this has made no difference). I don't know where it came from, maybe I added it years ago but it's not signed by anyone. I'm slightly hesitant to remove it, in case it kills email access at my mums place until I get there on Saturday. I also noticed if I go to the SSL version of WHM by clicking the secure link at the top, it also gives me the old cert.

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 29, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Found the section, looks like that's going to be what I need to change as the dates match up with what I'm seeing when I try to send securely. Much appreciated, fingers crossed as if I can get this working in the next 48 hours it'll be a huge relief!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you install CSF it integrates with cPanel and lets you block/whitelist addresses from WHM and do other stuff like rate limiting, brute force intrusion detection etc:
http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

Sometimes you have to tweak it to fit your needs but overall it works pretty well.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Got a question regarding SSL in Apache 2.2. I've got it working just fine, but I'm having an issue that I can't figure out. So I have several sites I'm running all on the same IP. I have VirtualHosts setup for them all, and everything's working just fine. I want one of these VirtualHosts to have SSL enabled, and I want it explicitly disabled for the other sites (basically, an error message should pop up). When I just do a simple SSLEnable on that one VirtualHost, though, all of the sites attempt to use that one VirtualHost's cert and allow SSL. How can I fix this? If this doesn't make sense or you need more info to diagnose, lemme know.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
You can set your VirtualHost entries like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
</VirtualHost>

and then

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
</VirtualHost>

for the SSL host.

The other hosts will still answer on 443 because SSL binds to the IP address (and they'll have an invalid certificate warning), but it should load the default virtualhost (first virtualhost apache finds in the configs).

If you create a virtualhost entry at the top of your list like:

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName 1.2.3.4:80
</VirtualHost>

It should load that one since the ServerName doesn't match any valid *:443 vhosts, and you can point it to an error page if you want.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Ok guys, really basic question, don't laugh ;)

Gf wants a site to advertise her make-up products on. It's not an online store, all it needs to be is probably a single big rear end picture with all of the products/prices on it and a link to her facebook company page. Maybe (big maybe) a contact form.

She also wants a custom email account/domain to use as main contact for this business.

Given that I know nothing about hosting and email domains for that matter, what would be the most affordable and simplest solution out there for her needs?

Thanks!

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok guys, really basic question, don't laugh ;)

Gf wants a site to advertise her make-up products on. It's not an online store, all it needs to be is probably a single big rear end picture with all of the products/prices on it and a link to her facebook company page. Maybe (big maybe) a contact form.

She also wants a custom email account/domain to use as main contact for this business.

Given that I know nothing about hosting and email domains for that matter, what would be the most affordable and simplest solution out there for her needs?

Thanks!

Try goon run Lithium Hosting: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800 starts at $1/mo for goons, that plan should be good enough for her needs. Do the emails through google apps.

Coca-Cola yum!
May 8, 2010
http://www.hostable.com

Right now they are doing shared, unlimited hosting for a one-time verification fee of .99c for 3 years.

It would likely be very slow due to the amount of people signing up, but still thats a pretty good deal to just have somewhere to mess around on.

http://www.hostable.com/why-is-it-Free.aspx

e: Forgot to add, after 3 years they will start charging you automatically, so do be careful to remember to cancel when you are finished.

Coca-Cola yum! fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 25, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

optikalus posted:

You can set your VirtualHost entries like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
</VirtualHost>

and then

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
</VirtualHost>

for the SSL host.

The other hosts will still answer on 443 because SSL binds to the IP address (and they'll have an invalid certificate warning), but it should load the default virtualhost (first virtualhost apache finds in the configs).

If you create a virtualhost entry at the top of your list like:

<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerName 1.2.3.4:80
</VirtualHost>

It should load that one since the ServerName doesn't match any valid *:443 vhosts, and you can point it to an error page if you want.

Thanks man. What I wound up doing was just creating a cert for all the sites I run using a wildcard CN.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Coca-Cola yum! posted:

http://www.hostable.com

Right now they are doing shared, unlimited hosting for a one-time verification fee of .99c for 3 years.

It would likely be very slow due to the amount of people signing up, but still thats a pretty good deal to just have somewhere to mess around on.

http://www.hostable.com/why-is-it-Free.aspx

e: Forgot to add, after 3 years they will start charging you automatically, so do be careful to remember to cancel when you are finished.

Hostable charges a non-refundable set up fee as well as its periodic service fee which in some cases may be refundable as further set forth elsewhere herein. Hostable charges an Annual Domain/DNS Maintenance Fee of $.17 per month per domain name, a Universal Internet Service (IPv6) Recovery Fee of $.07 per month per domain for Domain Only accounts and $.34 per month per domain for all other accounts, and a Wind Energy Surcharge of $.57 per month for all accounts except Domain Only accounts. Hostable may also charge you for Domain service fees and specifically reserves the right to institute additional charges upon notice to you. Hostable reserves the right to alter, change, amend or delete charges at its sole discretion. Hostable further reserves the right to institute new services and charge fees in association with the provision of such new services as it deems appropriate.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Biowarfare posted:

Hostable charges a non-refundable set up fee as well as its periodic service fee which in some cases may be refundable as further set forth elsewhere herein. Hostable charges an Annual Domain/DNS Maintenance Fee of $.17 per month per domain name, a Universal Internet Service (IPv6) Recovery Fee of $.07 per month per domain for Domain Only accounts and $.34 per month per domain for all other accounts, and a Wind Energy Surcharge of $.57 per month for all accounts except Domain Only accounts. Hostable may also charge you for Domain service fees and specifically reserves the right to institute additional charges upon notice to you. Hostable reserves the right to alter, change, amend or delete charges at its sole discretion. Hostable further reserves the right to institute new services and charge fees in association with the provision of such new services as it deems appropriate.

Which means it's $0.15 cheaper to go with Lithium Hosting. I'm surprised goons are recommending things like this without reading the fine print. That's still just under $14 per year, which is a long way from $.03 per year, which the ad stats :shobon:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Which means it's $0.15 cheaper to go with Lithium Hosting. I'm surprised goons are recommending things like this without reading the fine print. That's still just under $14 per year, which is a long way from $.03 per year, which the ad stats :shobon:

(c) Hostable reserves the right to charge an early termination fee of $35.

5.02 The initial term shall be as set forth in the Order Form (the "Initial Term"). The Initial Term shall begin upon commencement of the services to Customer. After the Initial Term, this Agreement shall automatically renew. Additionally, up to sixty days or two months prior to the initial term ending, customer acknowledges, agrees and authorizes Hostable to automatically bill and/or charge their credit card for successive terms of equal length as the initial term, unless terminated or cancelled by either party as provided in this section. After the Initial Term, this Agreement shall automatically renew at the current listed fee. A list of current fees are available on the Hostable website and the rest of the fees in this Agreement.

And the initial term is 3 years, so the autocharge will be for 3 years
:psyduck:

Coca-Cola yum!
May 8, 2010
Just in response to the posts above,

You can use a prepaid, disposable credit card (such as a 3v card in Ireland) with only $1 on it. This will basically stop them from charging you any extras as you wont have the money on the card.

I wouldn't advise any other method though, should have stated that in the post, sorry.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Yakattak posted:

Try goon run Lithium Hosting: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800 starts at $1/mo for goons, that plan should be good enough for her needs. Do the emails through google apps.

By the looks of it, I'd be 1/mo for basic shared hosting, 13 bucks for a domain and like 50 bucks a year for google apps, right?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2011

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

By the looks of it, I'd be 1/mo for basic shared hosting, 13 bucks for a domain and like 50 bucks a year for google apps, right?

You only pay once for it to be setup, so $10. But that's a hilarious rip off, all it takes to use Google Apps for domains is a couple DNS records...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

DreadCthulhu posted:

Buy domain elsewhere, I recommend gandi. Google Apps is free, it's a couple MX records.