Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rossi =/= Rosse

So no, it's unrelated. His first name is Aldo, that doesn't make him Aldo Lestrade either. It was just a semi-Italian name that I felt was Steiner-appropriate. Then again, I could've called him Winston Kashiwagi if I'd wanted; the only name that would've been out of place is 'Kurita'.

MegaMek has possibly the best name generator.

You end up with such names as "Holger van de Loo" and "Bertrand Melczewsky"(the best hovercar pilot)

You also get normal names, but who cares about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

The Excalibur is the first mech I think of when I think of the ComGuards. I endorse this mech wholly.

That or the Mongoose, for sure. Of course the Excalibur is kind of lovely but spinning lovely designs is fun.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok I've thought it over and barring any loud objections I'm leaning now towards accepting the duel but using Mukaikubo's idea of running to hex 1421 and opening fire on the Battle Cobra. I know there's the risk involved of falling on the pavement but if I do what I was originally planning it pretty much takes my PPCs out of the fight because the Cobra would be able to close within minimum range.

I don't think I'm going to alpha-strike it though.

Minimum range isn't so bad with PPCs unless you're literally right next to the guy. And if you're right next to him you've got 8 other weapons that don't have minimum range which you can fire now that you don't have to worry about all the heat the PPCs are creating.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If they are inside your minimum range, they are in short range for your four MLs and your SRM-6. Start with an AC/10 blast and then try to find the hole it makes.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Plus, I'd have no idea what sort of fanfiction contest I'd run except maybe to challenge someone to Let's Read "Far Country" which I was going to do myself until I realized I burned my copy about ten minutes after I finished it.

I'd be willing to do this; I've actually got a copy of the book I can get pretty quickly, I think. I do have a bit of experience doing readings of other bad books for SA's amusement. That sort of thing would tend to get to be a fairly hefty chunk of text if I were to approach it the way I did, say, Jedi Academy trilogy, though I can and would change to something else that if it would work better here; I wouldn't want to make walls of text if it would offend much of this thread.

I know Mukaikubo has already volunteered, as well, but I figured I'd offer. :shobon:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rossi =/= Rosse

So, is it a shout-out to Criminal Minds, or did you just pull it out of a hat?

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, I checked my 3050 TROs and apparently it was the Dragoons who brought the design back to the Sphere, so it's kinda out. Instead, I'm thinking maybe the Excalibur or the Flashman.

Note that it says "believed to be extinct." That doesn't meant the ComGuard don't produce their own copies of it.

Felime posted:

MegaMek has possibly the best name generator.

You end up with such names as "Holger van de Loo" and "Bertrand Melczewsky"(the best hovercar pilot)

You also get normal names, but who cares about those.

Holger of the Latrina is a funny name, but it doesn't compare to Bertrand Melczewsky, the best hoverscout pilot hardcore enough to get a Fortress-class DropShip (re)named after him.

Also, I'm going to wind up driving to Borders tomorrow to buy a copy of Far Country, aren't I? :(

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Note that it says "believed to be extinct." That doesn't meant the ComGuard don't produce their own copies of it.

Yeah, but ComStar ROM wrote TRO:3050 for their own records, if I recall.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Yeah, but ComStar ROM wrote TRO:3050 for their own records, if I recall.

Yeah, but this is (a) non-canon, and (b) we know for a fact that ComStar is prone to (a) errors, (b) creative editing, and (c) inserting outright fabrications into all of their publications, quite probably even the internally-circulated ones, lest a heretic get too good of an idea of what's going on.

Also: fuuuuuuck. Borders does not recognize Far Country. Not even by ISBN number. :gonk:

It's like Borders has done exactly what those who read it tend to do: block out the memories.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You're trying to buy an obscure licensed book from 1993 that has almost certainly been out of print for the majority of the intervening years at a major chain bookstore's physical location? That's....not going to work. Ever.

Amazon's got 48 used listings, though, at least one of which even has Amazon fulfillment and is thus eligible for Prime.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 25, 2011

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

PoptartsNinja posted:

Contest!
To teach you health respect for the humble machine gun, I would like to see videos of you aspiring young 'Mechwarriors navigating the icy areas in this mission using only your machine guns! For the SNES players, you also have to do this mission in a Wolverine.
For anyone brave enough, or perhaps insane enough, to want to attempt this, please accept this gift:

Legend is in the bottom left corner, B would be Machine Gun ammo, and H is coolant. It might not be 100% accurate, but it sure as hell beats the static.

PS The Wolverine is pretty terrible, and machine gun ice ballet is great fun.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

So, is it a shout-out to Criminal Minds, or did you just pull it out of a hat?

The first thing that came to mind when I saw Aldo Rossi was the architect of the same name. And that's kind of sad. :saddowns: I don't even know why I remember who he is. I've got a vague inkling of having referenced him in a report years ago, but that's sketchy.

(But if it is a shoutout to a semi-obscure Italian architect, then hooray for my memory!)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Well, I checked my 3050 TROs and apparently it was the Dragoons who brought the design back to the Sphere, so it's kinda out. Instead, I'm thinking maybe the Excalibur or the Flashman.
The Black Knight, you know you want to.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Since I don't really know anything about BattleTech, whatever the hell these REDACTED are, they sound loving terrifying. I'm currently imagining some kind of Alien bio-monster melded with mech-grade armor plating that doesn't impact its speed that opens its mouth to reveal an AC/20 instead of the mini-head for murdering pilots. That last part doesn't seem consistent with the Clan's honor code thingy, but good god

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mercenarynuker posted:

Since I don't really know anything about BattleTech, whatever the hell these REDACTED are, they sound loving terrifying. I'm currently imagining some kind of Alien bio-monster melded with mech-grade armor plating that doesn't impact its speed that opens its mouth to reveal an AC/20 instead of the mini-head for murdering pilots. That last part doesn't seem consistent with the Clan's honor code thingy, but good god

hahaha for being completely wrong that's actually not that far off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mercenarynuker posted:

Inside the AC20 is an AC5.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mercenarynuker posted:

They also poop minefields.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Someone should take the man up on this, but if no one does I'll take the bet again Hob. Those Lyrans have fire in their veins! They want victory. I can see them lasting 20 turns no problem.

Looks like there are no other takers. You want to try your luck another time? There's gotta be a time when you run out of limb-cutting criticals, you know.

Also, the terrible alien biomonsters description is surprisingly familiar. I swear that mercenarynuker's description is right off the books, almost to a tee.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

Looks like there are no other takers. You want to try your luck another time? There's gotta be a time when you run out of limb-cutting criticals, you know.

What are the rules of the bet?

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Hob_Gadling posted:

Also, the terrible alien biomonsters description is surprisingly familiar. I swear that mercenarynuker's description is right off the books, almost to a tee.
Actually, if I can sneak in at the last second, I'll take this bet. Missed it the first time it came up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Alright let me make a counter-bet. The lyrans will be dead by the 15th round. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is :D Forums upgrade of their choice to whoever wins, I want no-ads.

edit; One taker only ofcourse, i'm not made of money.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Affi posted:

Alright let me make a counter-bet. The lyrans will be dead by the 15th round. If you disagree put your money where your mouth is :D Forums upgrade of their choice to whoever wins, I want no-ads.

edit; One taker only ofcourse, i'm not made of money.

I'll take you up on that, if manage to survive I'd like a platinum upgrade. I wonder if the bookies would put the odds at 2:1 for this bet, I'm always horrible at calculating reasonable odds.

Edit: Actually I guess it's 1:1 odds, again not very good at this. Anyway now PTN character aren't the only thing keeping me invested in the story.

cafel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 25, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

cafel posted:

I'll take you up on that, if manage to survive I'd like a platinum upgrade. I wonder if the bookies would put the odds at 2:1 for this bet, I'm always horrible at calculating reasonable odds.

Edit: Actually I guess it's 1:1 odds, again not very good at this. Anyway now PTN character aren't the only thing keeping me invested in the story.

Heh, alright I guess i'm cheering for the clans :D

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And now the question is how much someone is going to get paid to take a fall on the last round.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hob_Gadling posted:

I did enjoy how Focht's first assumptions about the Clans were not "Kerensky's coming back!" but instead "Hey, you know those single-celled organisms that consume things and take on their shape? What if Kerensky's army got eaten by something like that and it learned our technology, and that's where the Clans came from?"

If Stackpole were capable of writing jokes that were actually funny, I'd swear Focht was trolling.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

I did enjoy how Focht's first assumptions about the Clans were not "Kerensky's coming back!" but instead "Hey, you know those single-celled organisms that consume things and take on their shape? What if Kerensky's army got eaten by something like that and it learned our technology, and that's where the Clans came from?"

If Stackpole were capable of writing jokes that were actually funny, I'd swear Focht was trolling.

Maybe he had Liao blood, by some chance?

That, or... I dunno, what book was that nonsense in?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Especially since Myndo Waterly instantly and completely accepted this as the clearly most likely situation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Especially since Myndo Waterly instantly and completely accepted this as the clearly most likely situation.

Getting a complete loony to accept a completely loony idea isn't really that hard I would think.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That, or... I dunno, what book was that nonsense in?

Lethal Heritage, the first book in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I blame it on him having been shot in the head.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tempest_56 posted:

Well, only the eyeball, really.

What kind of dick move is that, really, to pull your shot at the last second so it doesn't kill a guy but still goes through his eye? Sweet mother of dammit, Theodore Kurita.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tempest_56 posted:

hey Focht was never shot in the head Fredrick Steiner on the other hand....

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

From the sounds if it 99% of every character in Battletech is suffering from some serious inbreeding defects.
The remaining 1% lucked out and despite being a byproduct of someone loving themselves in the past managed to be born with fanfic abilities.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If the Banshee manages to core the Battle Cobra in the head in the first round I insist that there if fluff showing the Banshee posing over the Cobra's smoking corpse like Hulk Hogan. That would enrage the Vipers right? :black101:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

mercenarynuker posted:

They also have missiles to shoot down aircraft, can fly, breathe underwater, regenerate, see in the dark, and some have been trained to pilot an assault omnimech which works as an armed, armored coccoon. Sometimes these 'queens' can have several smaller redacted clinging to the outside, similar to those annoying Half Life 2 zombies that have headcrabs all over them.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

From the sounds if it 99% of every character in Battletech is suffering from some serious inbreeding defects.

Welcome to the nature of caste-based nobility, as if the extraordinary actions of some distant ancestor guarantee you have some kind of divine mandate to lord it over all and sundry. :bang:

Frankly, I would not be surprised if the fact of the matter actually was sever inbreeding.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pimpmust posted:

The remaining 1% lucked out and despite being a byproduct of someone loving themselves in the past managed to be born with fanfic abilities.

Victor Davion was born with the amazing ability to show and not tell. It's the most incredible ability of all. They say again and again he's this great general and give him in-game abilities to reflect this, but the one time he had to do all the planning on his own without his father, Focht, Ardan Sortek or Morgan Kell to hold his hand, he loses half the Com Guard and basically their entire WarShip fleet at once.

As a general rule, the more page time you get in a novel, the more they talk you up in sourcebooks and the more pathetic you are when you actually see them act first-hand.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Welcome to the nature of caste-based nobility, as if the extraordinary actions of some distant ancestor guarantee you have some kind of divine mandate to lord it over all and sundry.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if the fact of the matter actually was sever inbreeding.

That or really bad sci-fi writers running loose but who can tell the difference :iiam:

Victor Davion was born with the amazing ability to show and not tell. They say again and again he's this great general and give him in-game abilities to reflect this, but the one time he had to do all the planning on his own without his father, Focht, Ardan Sortek or Morgan Kell to hold his hand, he loses half the Com Guard and basically their entire WarShip fleet at once.

Anyone can have a bad day :v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Victor Davion was born with the amazing ability to show and not tell. It's the most incredible ability of all. They say again and again he's this great general and give him in-game abilities to reflect this, but the one time he had to do all the planning on his own without his father, Focht, Ardan Sortek or Morgan Kell to hold his hand, he loses half the Com Guard and basically their entire WarShip fleet at once.

As a general rule, the more page time you get in a novel, the more they talk you up in sourcebooks and the more pathetic you are when you actually see them act first-hand.

That would be "tell and not show," not "show and not tell." Someone who shows without telling is someone who doesn't toot his horn (or have it tooted for him) but can be a badass. Someone who tells without showing is a jackass with an Informed Ability, possibly one who does the informing himself.

Pimpmust posted:

That or really bad sci-fi writers running loose but who can tell the difference :iiam:

That too. :)

quote:

Anyone can have a bad day :v:

That's a bit more than a bad day. That said, remember that on it's best day, the worst unit in the galaxy can demolish the best unit in the galaxy on it's worst day.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

And then there's the astonishing idiocy he shows as a politician, losing virtually everything his father gained for the Federated Suns in like a few months through unmitigated and complete incompetence as a statesman.

edit: Can we bring in that he's even a major goddamned fuckup in his personal life? Almost (?) all of his siblings loathe him, he is completely tone deaf when it comes to judging people, he continually misjudges the intentions of virtually everyone, and the only woman who appeared to legitimately ever love him rather than put up with him for political reasons was the one who stayed far away from him for virtually their entire lives, and on top of everything when the woman he actually managed to convince to marry him died, he went completely to gently caress and had to be dragged out of a funk after months of sulking???

edit2: goddammit Victor and Kai deserved each other :(

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 25, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pimpmust posted:

Nope the remaining 1% are evil clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mukaikubo posted:

And then there's the astonishing idiocy he shows as a politician, losing virtually everything his father gained for the Federated Suns in like a few months through unmitigated and complete incompetence as a statesman.

edit: Can we bring in that he's even a major goddamned fuckup in his personal life? Almost (?) all of his siblings loathe him, he is completely tone deaf when it comes to judging people, he continually misjudges the intentions of virtually everyone, and the only woman who appeared to legitimately ever love him rather than put up with him for political reasons was the one who stayed far away from him for virtually their entire lives, and on top of everything when the woman he actually managed to convince to marry him died, he went completely to gently caress and had to be dragged out of a funk after months of sulking???

edit2: goddammit Victor and Kai deserved each other :(

His youngest sister likes him, and his brother Peter didn't hate him, he just didn't enjoy Victor's company at all. Thought Victor was whiny. Katherine hated him and Arthur thought he was a total dumbshit.

Oh, and the happy ending for Victor is that he gets Sun-Tzu Liao's sloppy seconds. Once per month he gets messages from Sun-Tzu telling him what sexual techniques his wife likes best, cause y'know, Sun-Tzu hit that first.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread