Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Go there and click the giant Roms button up top.

Yeah I ended up doing that after I posted, and I'm currently making a nandroid in anticipation. MIUI includes the google apps right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah I ended up doing that after I posted, and I'm currently making a nandroid in anticipation. MIUI includes the google apps right?

It does.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MindlessHavok posted:

Speaking of, I've been playing with the GB version of MIUI and while I like it a lot it's still really buggy.

I'm thinking of switching over to CM7...does anyone have any opinions on how they like it as opposed to the new MIUI? I want to stay with them but there's just some things that are driving me nuts so I want to wait for a more stable build.

Yesterday, I installed the latest nightly of CM7. It looked cool, but file transfers to the SD card over USB were horribly slow. I didn't bother looking to see if there was a fix for it, and some fixes seem like command line stuff which I don't want to deal with. I put whatever the latest Fresh is on, just because I want stability and to not have to deal with anything.

Related question: Will restoring a Titanium backup from a 2.2 rom destroy everything on a 2.3 rom?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason it wouldn't let me start downloading apps from the market until I connected to wifi. I'm really hoping that doesn't continue past an initial hiccup. I am really liking the UI overall though.

BagelMaster
Mar 20, 2008
I've never owned an Android device before, so I'm not familiar with the concept of bootloaders and rooting as it applies to Android (I've been an iOS user for a long time). Seeing reports of the Motorola Targa has piqued my interest, since I'll most likely be living in an area with a good LTE network, and the specs of the phone seem to be something I'd want. However, I'm not much of a fan of manufacturer's custom UIs, so I'd want to install stock Android on the device (especially if that means I can get updated versions faster than Verizon can send them out). Is Motorola's history of using locked bootloaders going to make that impossible? I know that the HTC Thunderbolt has a locked bootlader, but recent news indicates that some people are currently looking into ways around it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Motorola's custom UI really doesn't make it that much different from stock. It adds some Facebook integration, widgets and changes a couple of the standard applications like messaging. That being said, there are still "ROMs" for the devices (once they've been rooted) that will bring your device to stock Android without needing to get into the bootloader.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

For some reason it wouldn't let me start downloading apps from the market until I connected to wifi. I'm really hoping that doesn't continue past an initial hiccup. I am really liking the UI overall though.

I think that's a bug with the current MIUI builds.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

Incredibly slick. New lock screen looks good, new notification tray owns, the way pop ups work owns. New settings is nice, though trackball wake doesn't appear to be working on my N1 at the moment.

I agree with all of this. Really loving this build. The notification tray is awesome.

Aside from the trackball wake not working and things not downloading from the market I also have the issue of Hsdpa not working. Oh well, I'm sure these bugs will get worked out.

Casao, do you know if the miui backups from 2.2 will work? I forgot to put it back on my phone, but don't want to bother with it if it doesn't even work.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jewce posted:

I agree with all of this. Really loving this build. The notification tray is awesome.

Aside from the trackball wake not working and things not downloading from the market I also have the issue of Hsdpa not working. Oh well, I'm sure these bugs will get worked out.

Casao, do you know if the miui backups from 2.2 will work? I forgot to put it back on my phone, but don't want to bother with it if it doesn't even work.

Not sure, I actually forgot about miui backups until earlier today.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Casao posted:

Cool, I'll check it out after work. I don't really want to spend the time setting up my folders all over again.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jewce posted:

Yeah these are pretty annoying though, I can't seem to download anything other than via wifi.

Anyone have icon theme suggestions?

SmartCunt
Feb 10, 2005
hey whats up

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Motorola's custom UI really doesn't make it that much different from stock. It adds some Facebook integration, widgets and changes a couple of the standard applications like messaging. That being said, there are still "ROMs" for the devices (once they've been rooted) that will bring your device to stock Android without needing to get into the bootloader.

What is the major difference of having an unlocked bootloader? I've been running custom roms on my droid x for months now, which have unlocked features like overclocking and wireless tethering etc, yet I remember reading just a few days ago that the droid x bootloader was finally unlocked. What exactly does this open up that wasn't already available?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Casao posted:

I remember reading somewhere that they will work but it's not recommended to restore system settings because it's likely to gently caress up things. Although I'm assuming restoring apps would be fine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BagelMaster posted:

Is Motorola's history of using locked bootloaders going to make that impossible?
All Motorola Android phones (except the OG Droid, which wasn't locked) have signed bootloaders & kernels, which means they will not run community-developed Android distributions (e.g, CyanogenMod). Their phones can be rooted and customized to some extent, but you're still reliant on Motorola to release upgraded kernels, if nothing more.

To date, Motorola's phones have not been cracked. There was some recent hubbub about them having been cracked, but that's all a hoax. It's true that HTC has been stepping up their game with regard to their phone locks, but the ThunderBolt is currently cracked. It's unclear if it will remain so on later hardware builds.

One caveat here: I believe LTE support in Android is currently a bolt-on, and not part of the core telephony layer. So, it might be a while before community-developed distributions have solid LTE support, as was the case with WiMAX.

If vanilla Android & community development is your primary concern, the LG Revolution might be the answer. They're a bit of an unknown quantity as LG hasn't released high-end Android devices yet, but the very-well-designed and community friendly mid-range Optimus series has been well received. When it's finally released (Q2 or Q3 unfortunately), it'll probably be the LTE device with a closest-to-stock Android experience, and hopefully won't have any lock-down shenanigans so the community can go wild with it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SmartCunt posted:

What is the major difference of having an unlocked bootloader? I've been running custom roms on my droid x for months now, which have unlocked features like overclocking and wireless tethering etc, yet I remember reading just a few days ago that the droid x bootloader was finally unlocked. What exactly does this open up that wasn't already available?

Custom kernels are the big thing, I think. Even this isn't a complete lockout, because the kernel can be modified during runtime, which I believe is how the overclock works on the X.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

I think that's a bug with the current MIUI builds.

It's not a bug. It's a new feature. Kinda stupid that it defaults to "off" though. From the G2 MIUI changelog:

quote:

2.3-1.3.18-V1.1:
Fixed MMS FC
cleaned up build.prop
fixed Filemanager translation
Not really a bug, but I think I should mention it somewhere:
Market downloads don't work without WiFi connection, Solution:
Open Downloads app, press menu and push Download on 3G and WiFi.
Default behaviour is that it will allow downloads on WiFi only.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

Yesterday, I installed the latest nightly of CM7. It looked cool, but file transfers to the SD card over USB were horribly slow. I didn't bother looking to see if there was a fix for it, and some fixes seem like command line stuff which I don't want to deal with. I put whatever the latest Fresh is on, just because I want stability and to not have to deal with anything.

Related question: Will restoring a Titanium backup from a 2.2 rom destroy everything on a 2.3 rom?

Yeah I went ahead and swapped from EMMMIIUUUUIII to CM7 and I absolutely love it. So far it's everything I've wanted in a Rom. Gonna keep playing with it but from what I've experienced so far it's going to be my daily driver.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that they will work but it's not recommended to restore system settings because it's likely to gently caress up things. Although I'm assuming restoring apps would be fine.

Cool, I restored my apps with titanium backup, I just need miui to restore my launcher.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm interested in trying out MIUI for the N1. After doing a full wipe, I'm boot looping. Any ideas on what to do? I'm using the newest CM recovery and I think I have HBOOT 0.35 (how do I check this?).

e: and I have attempted wiping data, cache, and dalvik, all prior to installing the zip. No dice.

air- fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 25, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Check your HBOOT version by booting into the boot loader (volume up or down on boot up, can't remember).

Get a fresh copy of the ROM and English zip. One might be corrupted.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I downloaded MIUI for the Incredible, and I like it a lot. However, I've run into a pretty annoying bug and wanted to know if it's common.

My TB restored Launcher Pro, so I went into it. I wanted to become more acquainted with the stock MIUI launcher, so I tried to go back to it. But Launcher Pro wouldn't stop being the default. So I uninstalled it.

I played with the MIUI launcher, and decided I'd rather have Launcher Pro. I reinstalled it, and...nothing changes. Set LP to default. Nothing changes. Reboot. Nothing changes. :psyduck:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Check your HBOOT version by booting into the boot loader (volume up or down on boot up, can't remember).

Get a fresh copy of the ROM and English zip. One might be corrupted.

Oh I get it, the English zip gets installed after the Chinese one? I never grabbed the Chinese one so will go ahead and do that, thanks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Is the paid version of Rom Manager worth it anymore? was considering grabbing it but a lot of people bitching in the reviews about it not working on newer phones. I'm running CM7 on my G2.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

air- posted:

Oh I get it, the English zip gets installed after the Chinese one? I never grabbed the Chinese one so will go ahead and do that, thanks.

Yeah. MIUI is a Chinese built ROM. Need to flash the English fixer on top of it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Charisma posted:

I downloaded MIUI for the Incredible, and I like it a lot. However, I've run into a pretty annoying bug and wanted to know if it's common.

My TB restored Launcher Pro, so I went into it. I wanted to become more acquainted with the stock MIUI launcher, so I tried to go back to it. But Launcher Pro wouldn't stop being the default. So I uninstalled it.

I played with the MIUI launcher, and decided I'd rather have Launcher Pro. I reinstalled it, and...nothing changes. Set LP to default. Nothing changes. Reboot. Nothing changes. :psyduck:

Under settings click the Programs tab, and then Default Program Settings. Check the Default Launcher setting.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Under settings click the Programs tab, and then Default Program Settings. Check the Default Launcher setting.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, it just ignores it

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
We had my wife's cousin over for dinner, and priding myself on being a good host, I rooted her Aria and put a recent CM7 nightly on it. For lower-end hardware, it runs fantastically well, better than the 2.1/sense build it had on it before. It also makes my G2 feel utterly massive by comparison.

Speaking of my G2, I think I'm on CM7#29, and my battery life has never been better. I'd bee hopping around several other roms in between, and getting okay to lovely life, but this is utterly fantastic. Even loving with the phone throughout the day, I still have half my life left when I plug it in at night. I'm still not the point of getting full 2 days on one charge, but I gave those dreams up when I went to android.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

On CM7 RC2, my G2 gets 2 days to the charge with an 1800mAh Mugen battery. Glad to hear the nightlies have improved, though, I tried an earlier nightly quickly after the RC versions and my battery life absolutely stunk.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
:whatup:

I lost all of 3% battery between going to bed last night and getting up this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
There haven't been any nightlys the last couple of days for CM7. Makes me think that maybe they are getting close to an RC3 or a final release.

Anyways, I did see on the nightly change log thingy that they committed some code for HDMI out on the EVO. I am not sure if its functional or a precursor to it being functional.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

There haven't been any nightlys the last couple of days for CM7. Makes me think that maybe they are getting close to an RC3 or a final release.

Anyways, I did see on the nightly change log thingy that they committed some code for HDMI out on the EVO. I am not sure if its functional or a precursor to it being functional.

HDMI on the EVO is fully functional with audio as far as I know.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Tigren posted:

One of these days I need to get that cable...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tigren posted:

Oh... I thought that they had it working but hadn't committed the code yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

brc64 posted:

:whatup:

I lost all of 3% battery between going to bed last night and getting up this morning.

Screen on time?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Screen on time?
Fairly minimal... and my biggest drop definitely corresponds with a lengthy screen on time (waiting for class to begin yesterday). But that's normal usage for me, and 2 days easy with normal usage is definitely something I can live with!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

..btt posted:

It's not a bug. It's a new feature. Kinda stupid that it defaults to "off" though. From the G2 MIUI changelog:

It's also defaulted to 'on' as of a minor update to the English language pack from MIUI-Dev, this afternoon.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lowen SoDium posted:

Oh... I thought that they had it working but hadn't committed the code yet.

Turns out they didn't need to make any kernel changes to enable audio, though they will be committing some to fix HTC's broken EDID logic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

brc64 posted:

Fairly minimal... and my biggest drop definitely corresponds with a lengthy screen on time (waiting for class to begin yesterday). But that's normal usage for me, and 2 days easy with normal usage is definitely something I can live with!

Do you ever actually use your phone? Seems like it spends most of it's time sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

Faraway
Nov 22, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

All Motorola Android phones (except the OG Droid, which wasn't locked) have signed bootloaders & kernels, which means they will not run community-developed Android distributions (e.g, CyanogenMod). Their phones can be rooted and customized to some extent, but you're still reliant on Motorola to release upgraded kernels, if nothing more.

I loaded Cyanogen to enable 2.2 on my Moto Backflip. 2.1 was slow but that might have been because of Blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Do you ever actually use your phone? Seems like it spends most of it's time sitting there doing absolutely nothing.

I probably average a dozen text messages a day and rarely make phone calls, but my phone does a lot in the background. For example, my LauncherPro Plus Friends widget updates every 5 minutes and I have RSS feeds downloading every 3 hours, so I can pretty much tell at a glance when I turn on my phone if there's any interesting new content for me. If there's not (or even if there is), it doesn't take me very long to read it and turn the phone back off. I'm not generally all that interested in playing games on my phone.