Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Labes For Days posted:

I can't believe you guys think that's worth a month. Even his other ones weren't worth the week-long probes he was given.

Everytime that dude stepped out of FYAD he was probated.

Dude needs to stay in FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Another android question that's only tangentially related to pooping: my tablet is a brand new nook color running 2.3, and even when I don't have any background processes running the battery runs down by about 1% an hour in standby. That doesn't sound like a lot but it's still about 7-8% a night. Is that average for tablets or is there something I can do to improve it?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

change my name posted:

Another android question that's only tangentially related to pooping: my tablet is a brand new nook color running 2.3, and even when I don't have any background processes running the battery runs down by about 1% an hour in standby. That doesn't sound like a lot but it's still about 7-8% a night. Is that average for tablets or is there something I can do to improve it?

That's a standby time of over 4 days, which really isn't bad. When you keep in mind that you had to hack your device to get it to function like a tablet, it's actually pretty good. Try leaving a laptop in standby for 4 days!

Also I love your TLO av, just saying.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009

WillieWestwood posted:

The more he does it the longer the probations can be. And he already has a permaban under his belt for this little gem:

Here's a question--why is that quote not funny? I thought it was pretty funny.

madprocess posted:

That's a standby time of over 4 days, which really isn't bad. When you keep in mind that you had to hack your device to get it to function like a tablet, it's actually pretty good. Try leaving a laptop in standby for 4 days!

Yeah, that's pretty good for android. I have had 2 android phones that only lasted about 24 hours on standby with data enabled.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I want something that will control a power socket by remote control. What the hell do I search for on google, nothing I've tried is bringing up what I want.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Dead Alice posted:

I want something that will control a power socket by remote control. What the hell do I search for on google, nothing I've tried is bringing up what I want.

Are you talking about something like this?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
This isn't what you're looking for?

http://www.google.com/search?q=remote+control+power+switch&tbm=shop

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Dead Alice posted:

Something like this?

http://www.target.com/Practecol-Outlet-Adapter-Remote-Gray/dp/B001BTEZH8/ref=sc_pd_gwb_1_title

I first searched for remote control power strips and then saw the above.

edit: way too slow

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Probably should have mentioned, I'm in New Zealand, so your surprised looking power sockets will not work.
Thanks though, have some more search terms to play with.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Dead Alice posted:

Probably should have mentioned, I'm in New Zealand, so your surprised looking power sockets will not work.
Thanks though, have some more search terms to play with.

Generally you want something with the X10 protocol if you'r elooking at this use, read up on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29 if you want. I'm not sure if they make them in NZ and they're kinda old in the US but you basically get modules that you plug lamps and appliances into and then a control thing can plug into another outlet anywhere in the house for controlling the rest. Many of the base stations will have IR or RF remotes to control them with too.

I guess it's a bit beyond what you want, but this system can allow you to control dozens of outlets throughout your home by remote and all that.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

madprocess posted:

Generally you want something with the X10 protocol if you'r elooking at this use, read up on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29 if you want. I'm not sure if they make them in NZ and they're kinda old in the US but you basically get modules that you plug lamps and appliances into and then a control thing can plug into another outlet anywhere in the house for controlling the rest. Many of the base stations will have IR or RF remotes to control them with too.

I guess it's a bit beyond what you want, but this system can allow you to control dozens of outlets throughout your home by remote and all that.

Yeah I only want something so I can turn an external HDD on and off with my universal remote when I want to watch stuff.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Dead Alice posted:

Yeah I only want something so I can turn an external HDD on and off with my universal remote when I want to watch stuff.

Ah! Well turning it off with an existing universal remote is really only going to be possible if you have X10 modules and a control thing for it that has an IR remote. Usually when you want to have power outlet things that can be turned off by remote it'll be proprietary remotes that don't tend to work well with universals.

Try to see what X10 stuff is available in kiwiland, there should be something that you can get working with a universal remote.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
What's the best Wireless Router on the market within financial reason? Currently I am using a power-line Ethernet adapter, and getting a crap signal because most of the wiring in the house is straight from the 1950's. Have a wireless router, but it can't penetrate the thickness that is all the walls and floors between me and the primary computer it's hooked up to. I need something with a serious kick.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Liar posted:

What's the best Wireless Router on the market within financial reason? Currently I am using a power-line Ethernet adapter, and getting a crap signal because most of the wiring in the house is straight from the 1950's. Have a wireless router, but it can't penetrate the thickness that is all the walls and floors between me and the primary computer it's hooked up to. I need something with a serious kick.
You can find wireless N routers for $30 or less nowadays. I'm not sure if one N router is better than the rest.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010
is there a difference between composite video/audio cables?

like, could this be used as a video cable even though it says audio?

also, would a cable like this go both ways, ie convert audio from 2 rca cables to 3.5mm and plug that into the aux port on my speakers? if not, is there some other way to do this?

Saphire_flames fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 25, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Corsair Jr posted:

Yeah, that's pretty good for android. I have had 2 android phones that only lasted about 24 hours on standby with data enabled.

True but a tablet isn't a phone. Of course since I've only had an ipod touch in the past I might not be aware of how fast android phones use up battery, but just a day seems kind of short to me too?

Jones
Jan 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mak0rz posted:

This isn't the only thread that user is making GBS threads up. He's pretty well-known for terrible unfunny fakeposting, and the mods hate that.

I thought it was pretty funny, and considering somethingawful is supposed to be a comedy forum. Or is it? There's my stupid/small question: Is Somethingawful a comedy forum or an advice/help forum. You can't say its both because, erm, the proofs in the proverbial pudding, so to speak.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jones posted:

I thought it was pretty funny,

Well, you're wrong, so I guess that's that then.

Saphire_flames posted:

is there a difference between composite video/audio cables?

like, could this be used as a video cable even though it says audio?

also, would a cable like this go both ways, ie convert audio from 2 rca cables to 3.5mm and plug that into the aux port on my speakers? if not, is there some other way to do this?

Yes on both counts.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Jones posted:

I thought it was pretty funny, and considering somethingawful is supposed to be a comedy forum. Or is it? There's my stupid/small question: Is Somethingawful a comedy forum or an advice/help forum. You can't say its both because, erm, the proofs in the proverbial pudding, so to speak.

There are comedy forums and there are serious forums. You can be funny in serious forums as long as you are contributing to the thread. The reason they are strict about it is these forums would be unusable if they weren't strict with 100,000 users.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

cosmicjim posted:

There are comedy forums and there are serious forums. You can be funny in serious forums as long as you are contributing to the thread. The reason they are strict about it is these forums would be unusable if they weren't strict with 100,000 users.

Personally, I love this place. The $10 fee to get in and low tolerance for horseshit posting keeps the riffraff out and the quality of posting up, and there's a wide range of intelligent and creative people here. It's like an internet bullshit country club/playboy mansion.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Where's that one place online where you can buy a Diablo II and LoD CD key (legitimately, no :filez:) for a decent price?

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
My house is starting to get a bit of a mouse infestation.
This morning I found a small mouse in the middle of the hallway. I wasn't sure whether it was dead or alive. I flipped it over with a broom and it flipped itself back. It seemed to be almost dead.

Is there any reason for this? It's really weird to me, to be right in the middle of the hallway with no indication of why it was dying. We're not using poison so that's ruled out.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Elijya posted:

Personally, I love this place. The $10 fee to get in and low tolerance for horseshit posting keeps the riffraff out and the quality of posting up, and there's a wide range of intelligent and creative people here. It's like an internet bullshit country club/playboy mansion.

Of course by "riffraff" you mean the poor and uneducated right? You elitist filth.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Are user accounts on the various language versions of Amazon connected in any way? I'm asking because I use both amazon.com and amazon.de which both give me different recommendations and keep separate wishlists.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it typical for restaurant management to hold the wait staff responsible for the bill in a "dine and dash" situation where the customer leaves without paying the bill? Is this legal in the US? I can't possibly see how that could be. If this is in fact illegal, can someone direct me to some information regarding this?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

FogHelmut posted:

Is it typical for restaurant management to hold the wait staff responsible for the bill in a "dine and dash" situation where the customer leaves without paying the bill? Is this legal in the US? I can't possibly see how that could be. If this is in fact illegal, can someone direct me to some information regarding this?

It is common, but most likely illegal. That's what this article says anyway.
http://www.cleveland.com/schultz/index.ssf/2009/12/the_costs_of_getting_stiffed_s.html

I'd report them to the Department of Labor.

Connie Schultz posted:

Finally, if you're a server whose employer is saddling you with bills that customers refuse to pay, the U.S. Department of Labor wants to hear from you. Call its help line at 866-487-9243.

It's a toll-free number because when it comes to justice in the workplace, you shouldn't foot the bill.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

PlasticPaddy posted:

Of course by "riffraff" you mean the poor and uneducated right? You elitist filth.

I mean 4channers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elijya posted:

I mean 4channers

4chan was started and is run by goons you know.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

4chan was started and is run by goons you know.

Your point?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

stubblyhead posted:

Your point?

The riffraff is coming from inside the house.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Enough with this derail, thanks!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
2 nerdy ones:

1.Make usb charger cable from a wall charger? I have an old jabra earpiece that I only have a wall-charger for, I lost the proprietary usb cable it came with that I used to charge it in the car with a cigarette lighter usb power plug. Cant find my cable on web/ebay all the jabra usb cables I find just look like mini usb.

Can I cut the cord off the wall charger and splice it with a cut piece of usb cable with a usb-a connector and use that to charge with usb? The wall charger says it outputs 6v though, I don't know if that would matter, it obviously will charge with 5v but maybe its through different pins (doubt.)

I'll check to see what wires from the wall adapter are + and -, What wires do I connect to on the piece of usb cable?

2. I need a class 6 or higher microsd card. I've found plenty on google but wanting to get one today if I can. Is it going to say on the package or card anywhere the class of it?

Wife told me she wants her nook rooted. I thought about sending the kids outside then realized this actually refers to an electronic tablet device from barnes and noble.
The guides I've been reading say a class 6 or higher card is needed for this.

I tried nookie froyo an alternative nook color OS, a live-cd type experience, no modifying of the device it just boots an alt os from the card. I guess the card I had from 2007 was too slow because it would boot most of the way but just kept crashing. If that wouldnt run off my card without crashing I sure don't want to run something from that slow card that's actually modifying internal firmwares bootroms and such.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 27, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wagonburner posted:

2. I need a class 6 or higher microsd card. I've found plenty on google but wanting to get one today if I can. Is it going to say on the package or card anywhere the class of it?

Wife told me she wants her nook rooted. I thought about sending the kids outside then realized this actually refers to an electronic tablet device from barnes and noble.
The guides I've been reading say a class 6 or higher card is needed for this.

I tried nookie froyo an alternative nook color OS, a live-cd type experience, no modifying of the device it just boots an alt os from the card. I guess the card I had from 2007 was too slow because it would boot most of the way but just kept crashing. If that wouldnt run off my card without crashing I sure don't want to run something from that slow card that's actually modifying internal firmwares bootroms and such.

This is dumb, anything higher than a class 4 should be fine, but you shouldn't be running the os off the card anyways. It's better to just internally flash it because there's literally no way to brick it

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

change my name posted:

This is dumb, anything higher than a class 4 should be fine, but you shouldn't be running the os off the card anyways. It's better to just internally flash it because there's literally no way to brick it

I just wanted to play with it and this was before I'd read anything about rooting them and how they're mostly unbrickable.

Will a class 4 or higher card be labeled some way?

Also since you seem to know something about this, we're going to do the auto-nooter 3 for BN OS v 1.1. I can't find any mention of this but is there something we need to watch out for or disable so that it wont get any OS updates from barnes and noble in the future, a BN OS update would gently caress things up right?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 27, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wagonburner posted:

I just wanted to play with it and this was before I'd read anything about rooting them and how they're mostly unbrickable.

Will a class 4 or higher card be labeled some way?

Also since you seem to know something about this, we're going to do the auto-nooter. Is there something we need to watch out for or disable so that it wont get any OS updates from barnes and noble in the future, a BN OS update would gently caress things up right?
All sd cards are labeled with what class they are so you should be fine. Also I don't know about the barnes and nobles updates breaking things since I'm running gingerbread on mine anyways

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

change my name posted:

since I'm running gingerbread on mine anyways

That's a completely new android OS right? What we'd be doing with auto-nooter isn't changing the OS is it? Just basically unlocking some things/capabilities of it and adding some apps if I'm understanding everything correctly. I mean it will look completely different but it's basically still the same android BN OS underneath right?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Wagonburner posted:

2 nerdy ones:

1.Make usb charger cable from a wall charger? I have an old jabra earpiece that I only have a wall-charger for, I lost the proprietary usb cable it came with that I used to charge it in the car with a cigarette lighter usb power plug. Cant find my cable on web/ebay all the jabra usb cables I find just look like mini usb.

Can I cut the cord off the wall charger and splice it with a cut piece of usb cable with a usb-a connector and use that to charge with usb? The wall charger says it outputs 6v though, I don't know if that would matter, it obviously will charge with 5v but maybe its through different pins (doubt.)

I'll check to see what wires from the wall adapter are + and -, What wires do I connect to on the piece of usb cable?

Stolen from Wikipedia: (These are male plugs, not female recievers.)

1: +5
2: Data -
3: Data +
4: Ground
Metal Casing: Also Ground

Data isn't used while charging, so you only have to worry about +5/Gnd. If the cable manufactures aren't absolute monsters, the red wire will be +5 and the black one will be GND, but you should still do a continuity test to be sure.

Electricity will flow from the metal casing around the usb connector to the ground wire and the ground pin. The best/easiest way to do this would be with a multimeter that has a continuity tester, but if you don't have that, you can try to rig up a simple circuit that lights up a flashlight light bulb or something.

paid2lurk
Mar 29, 2010
I'm sorry. I knew I shouldn't have posted. :smith:

paid2lurk fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 27, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Basic Beater posted:

Where's that one place online where you can buy a Diablo II and LoD CD key (legitimately, no :filez:) for a decent price?

The Blizzard store sells downloadable copies for $20, which isn't a great price. Though I can't remember if it gives you a CD key or just another authentication key for the downloaded file.

paid2lurk posted:

Good evening Megathread legal people. I have an issue that came up today and need some legal advice.

Try this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659
Maybe you misclicked it from the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Wagonburner posted:

2 nerdy ones:

Are you absolutely sure it's not one of the common USB types? Propietary USB sounds oxymoronic. If it is a USB type (might very well be micro USB) then you can get a wall outlet to USB adapter and plug in a USB A to USB ___ cable (whichever one it is).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031106&p_id=6784&seq=1&format=2

Be careful with this. Monoprice is usually great, but some of their stuff is really cheap and can be easily defective according to reviews (most are positive though).