Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

These are both awful. The Great Dictator has all the flaws of the existing cover, with none of the creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

All I see is a screaming egg and a terrible font. Awful.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I prefer the existent Modern Times cover

and the typography on both of them is just wrong somehow

The spacing is terrible on Modern Times and The Great Dictator looks like a :30 Seconds to Mars album.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Sporadic posted:

Did you see the Great Dictator cover?

This is a great cover. Are people really bitching about this?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really don't understand blu-ray.com's review of TRON:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tron-Blu-ray/10546/#Review

He goes on and on about just how faithful it is (acting as if it's a bad thing?) and then gives it a 4.0 for quality.
Yes, the movie is incredibly dated. Yes, it looks funny and silly nowadays. If the blu-ray takes that, and makes it look the best it can, is it not doing its job completely? The quality of the effects in the movie should not effect the way in which the video quality is graded.

I'd much rather have this perfect transfer of TRON than some DNR'd Frankenstein's monster of a blu-ray.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Those Tron screenshots look loving gorgeous so that guy is crazy.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Rocco posted:

This is a great cover. Are people really bitching about this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sheldrake posted:

Is it bad that this is adorable

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What gets me is that it's not an original image, it's by Olly Moss, which seems really lazy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Digital Bits confirmed Barry Lyndon and Lolita will be available individually instead of being box set exclusives! The pre-orders are already up on Amazon for $15 each.

Also, they have a look at the upcoming Ben-Hur ultimate edition. I'm really hoping they decided to remaster the '25 silent in HD like Paramount did with The Ten Commandments.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Sheldrake posted:

Yeah I guess if you add a tuxedo it really is a lovely cover!!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Rocco posted:

Yeah I guess if you add a tuxedo it really is a lovely cover!!

... Meant to quote Magic Hate Ball, sorry. I liked it at first, but, yeah, once you realize it's ripped off of someone else's art, it kind of loses its appeal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

Minus the middle part, it looks like something I would have made in MS Paint when I was a kid.

I threw this together in MSPaint using all default stuff (and resized it so it didn't take up so much room)

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Sheldrake posted:

There we go, that's what I'm talking about.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are two Tangled coupons, each for $5 off the 4-disc combo pack. The first is a manufacturer's coupon that can be used in any brick and mortar store. The second is only good at Target. The 4-disc set is $24.99 at Target, so you can get it for $14.99 after using both coupons.

Coupon 1
http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/tangled-coupon

Coupon 2
http://i.imgur.com/ryOY9.jpg

And Stand By Me is only $12 in Wal-Mart B&M stores.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just got Our Hospitality...

It's the roughest condition of the Keaton Blus from Kino, but the photographic quality is fantastic. The bonus short The Iron Mule is also in true HD (1080i) with excellent image quality and surprisingly low damage. Great scores, too. The alternate workprint cut (which is basically more drama oriented with most of the comedic sequences missing) is in atrocious condition.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
When Future Shop says that Black Swan will be FS exclusive, does that just mean it will be a steelbook? It doesn't indicate what the exclusive means.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GonSmithe posted:

I really don't understand blu-ray.com's review of TRON:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tron-Blu-ray/10546/#Review

He goes on and on about just how faithful it is (acting as if it's a bad thing?) and then gives it a 4.0 for quality.
Yes, the movie is incredibly dated. Yes, it looks funny and silly nowadays. If the blu-ray takes that, and makes it look the best it can, is it not doing its job completely? The quality of the effects in the movie should not effect the way in which the video quality is graded.

I'd much rather have this perfect transfer of TRON than some DNR'd Frankenstein's monster of a blu-ray.

Holy hell that looks beautiful. I need a bigger TV than 40", this won't due for such a gorgeous film. LOOK AT HOW CRISP THAT IS!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6093

This pretty much confirms Disney is never going to release Song of the South.

Seriously, they just need to license to Criterion and be done with it. It's the animation title Criterion has been waiting for and they can handle the controversy. A lot of people don't realize the film takes place after the civil war, which makes Gone with the Wind a comparatively more potentially "offensive" film - which has never been out of circulation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently Johnny Mnemonic is coming to Blu-Ray in June. That being said I feel sorry for you if you can't enjoy Dina Meyer, Ice-T doing his Ice-T act, and Dolph Lundgren killing people whilst dressed as Jesus

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something people excited about the Scarface release might like : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarface-Limited-Box-Set-Blu-ray/dp/B004JHYHAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301338151&sr=8-1

I can't find an equivalent on amazon.com, and the .co.uk doesn't have BBFC logos stamped on it (when it's without a doubt going to be an '18') so I wouldn't be surprised if this version does appear elsewhere. There's not much extra to it, but I dig that box.

Collector's Edition Box Set Includes:
Hinged rigid cigar-style boxset with belly band and vac foam tray
Steelbook limited edition: Triple Play Blu-ray
‘The Making of Scarface’ exclusive booklet including stills and production notes
Tony Montana signature money clip
Green card envelope including Tony Montana dollar bill, green card and 3 exclusive artcards

Will most likely just get the steelbook if it looks good in real life, not sure about it based on the pictures.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The pHo posted:

Something people excited about the Scarface release might like : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarface-Limited-Box-Set-Blu-ray/dp/B004JHYHAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301338151&sr=8-1

I can't find an equivalent on amazon.com, and the .co.uk doesn't have BBFC logos stamped on it (when it's without a doubt going to be an '18') so I wouldn't be surprised if this version does appear elsewhere. There's not much extra to it, but I dig that box.

Collector's Edition Box Set Includes:
Hinged rigid cigar-style boxset with belly band and vac foam tray
Steelbook limited edition: Triple Play Blu-ray
‘The Making of Scarface’ exclusive booklet including stills and production notes
Tony Montana signature money clip
Green card envelope including Tony Montana dollar bill, green card and 3 exclusive artcards

Will most likely just get the steelbook if it looks good in real life, not sure about it based on the pictures.

America is getting something like that.

Sporadic posted:

Wow, what a bargain! The limited to 1000, Scarface limited edition humidor is only $699.99 on Amazon, that's 40% off!!!

It really is the worst special edition release I have heard of so far. What is the appeal of, what is basically, a $675.50 Scarface themed humidor?

quote:

Additionally, for the ultimate collector and cigar enthusiast, a hand-crafted Scarface-themed humidor will be made available in an exclusive, never-before-available, limited gift set edition. Created by the renowned Daniel Marshall, the humidor's exterior is hand painted and polished with the Marshall's trademark "1000 coat brilliant finish." The interior – made with untreated Spanish cedar – will properly condition and age approximately 100 cigars at optimal humidity levels. Limited to 1,000 worldwide and priced at $999.99, each individually numbered humidor comes embellished with custom medallions inspired by the iconic film and includes a certificate of authenticity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that's different though, as it's 1,000 worldwide existing on that one although it doesn't appear on the UK search.

I'm tempted to pre-order just in case it's a weird cockup...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The pHo posted:

I think that's different though, as it's 1,000 worldwide existing on that one although it doesn't appear on the UK search.

I'm tempted to pre-order just in case it's a weird cockup...

It is different, I was just saying we are getting something like what you posted. The only thing they announced for America was the steelbook and that insane thousand dollar humidor edition. No reasonable cigar box edition for us.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I get you. As it's a Universal disc, you could take the chance and import... most of their stuff seems to be region free and given the worldwide releasing I can't see this being any different.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6093

This pretty much confirms Disney is never going to release Song of the South.

Seriously, they just need to license to Criterion and be done with it. It's the animation title Criterion has been waiting for and they can handle the controversy. A lot of people don't realize the film takes place after the civil war, which makes Gone with the Wind a comparatively more potentially "offensive" film - which has never been out of circulation.

I'm always kind of torn when this comes up. On the one hand it is rather offensive, and the difference between this and Gone with the Wind is that the latter is clearly aimed at adults while this is ostensibly a kids/family movie. On the other hand it is a pretty famous film and supplements that actually examine it in context would make for an interesting DVD edition, and it is kind of odd that this is left to stand alone as some taboo film. On the third hand the movie sucks and is boring so outside of controversy I don't see why anyone cares. Criterion has better things to do with its time and money.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

quote:

20th Century Fox has set FX's Louie: Season One for release on Blu-ray and DVD on 6/21. You'll get all 13 episodes plus deleted scenes, unaired and unrated comedy sketches, and commentary.

Yay!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Yay!

Glad to hear that each episode will have a commentary. Louis CK is a very interesting guy when it comes to behind the scenes stuff/movies.

Did you hear his interview with Jim Norton? His story with Pootie Tang is a must hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wln-KQcrgWg&feature=related

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Did you hear his interview with Jim Norton? His story with Pootie Tang is a must hear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wln-KQcrgWg&feature=related

No, but his interview with Marc Maron on WTF was amazing.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

FitFortDanga posted:

No, but his interview with Marc Maron on WTF was amazing.

The best part was the story about reviving the dead computer and how Louie realized he may be the only other person to know the whole story of the guys life.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

doctor thodt posted:

There are two Tangled coupons, each for $5 off the 4-disc combo pack. The first is a manufacturer's coupon that can be used in any brick and mortar store. The second is only good at Target. The 4-disc set is $24.99 at Target, so you can get it for $14.99 after using both coupons.

Coupon 1
http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/tangled-coupon

Coupon 2
http://i.imgur.com/ryOY9.jpg

I just printed these and went to my local Target.

1 - Tangled is on sale for $19.99, at mine.

2 - They had a deal running where if you buy one of the other Disney combo packs (Bambi, Beauty and the Beast or.... Snow White, I think)with Tangled, you get a $10 Target gift card.

3 - Got Tangled (normally $20) and Bambi (normally $30), minus $5 off Tangled with above coupon, minus $5 off Bambi with the above coupon, minus $10 in that Target gift card, making the total for both blurays $30.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 29, 2011

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Yay!

It's about time, I really hate it when TV shows take forever to be released on blu-ray/dvd. I'm looking forward to the commentaries as well, those cement it a must buy for me.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

GORDON posted:

dumbo

Dumbo came out on Blu ray?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fromsinkingsands posted:

Dumbo came out on Blu ray?

Bambi. I brainfarted, there. I fixed my post.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Does anyone happen to know if the Blu-Ray of 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' is the Director's Cut or just the regular version of the film?

Can't seem to find the information anywhere.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
DVDCompare.net says theatrical.

(A good thing IMO.)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Twin Cinema posted:

When Future Shop says that Black Swan will be FS exclusive, does that just mean it will be a steelbook? It doesn't indicate what the exclusive means.

Apparently it means you get a DVD copy with your Blu-Ray copy. :what:

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s
I got my copy of Taxi Driver in the mail today and I just finished watching it.

Holy poo poo.

All catalogue titles should be treated like this, loving amazing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

Apparently it means you get a DVD copy with your Blu-Ray copy. :what:

So they basically just have the Canadian version of the Target exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

So they basically just have the Canadian version of the Target exclusive.

That's often the case. I don't know what's going to happen when Target takes over those Zellers stores, though.

• Locked thread