Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I have decided to take a small walk and take some picture. I took my light metering on the sky(bad idea) , i read in bryan peterson book that my light exposure should be +1. But my picture got out really ugly so i had to recompose. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Hotwax Residue posted:

I'm at work, and this monitor isn't calibrated too well, but the top right is coming off really purple to me.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah the sky colour looks off, the ground is also a bit odd but the sky really jumps out as being off.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Hmmm, I dunno how I didn't notice the sky. I didn't do anything to the ground so I dunno whats going on there.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I think it is mostly the sky that looks off, the blue looks unnatural.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
That's a really sweet shot Dread Head. Care to say what kit were you using?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Auditore posted:

That's a really sweet shot Dread Head. Care to say what kit were you using?

psst

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
EFB

exif here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/5496199186/meta/

TLDR: Nikon D300 with a sigma 10-20mm

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks, :cheers:

You have some pretty awesome work.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
dread i am in love with your work seriously

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Death Valley RV by xxyzz road, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
^^^ That is pretty awesome. Looks a bit off level though, just a little bit high on the right side.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Woah.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I love long-lens landscapes like this.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Chiming in with more kudos on that shot. Quite great.

I'm 3 days away from a roadtrip to Moab, UT, hoping to come back with a bevy of landscape shots. Going there primarily for the Skinny Tire Festival and doing roadbiking during the day, shooting in the afternoon/evening/night. Any one been down there before and have recommendations of specific areas that stand out?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Thanks guys!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Out of curiosity, what was the focal length on that shot?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

onezero posted:

Chiming in with more kudos on that shot. Quite great.

I'm 3 days away from a roadtrip to Moab, UT, hoping to come back with a bevy of landscape shots. Going there primarily for the Skinny Tire Festival and doing roadbiking during the day, shooting in the afternoon/evening/night. Any one been down there before and have recommendations of specific areas that stand out?

Let me preface this by saying I abhor traveling in the Southwest in March. I've never had a good photographic experience during that part of the year in that area.

I've shot in Utah on a few occasions. Moab's closest national park attraction is Arches. If you grew up watching Indiana Jones (TLC), you will recognize a few of the locations from the young Indy exposition. Arches is accessible to anyone in decent condition. This time of year the number of tourists at the bigger attractions (like Delicate Arch) should be manageable. The sandstone in the oft-traveled areas can be slippery, and since Arches gets snow/sleet/ice/rain (all at the same time, sometimes), some of the areas may be treacherous. PS. Delicate Arch is a sunset attraction, and while it is a short hike (TO the arch, not the 'viewing area' or whatever), it does require some common sense and navigational awareness.

Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands National Park are also very close. I've been to Dead Horse Point four times and, due to weather, have never seen it from the classical canyon rim view...

Canyonlands are a challenge photographically, especially above the rim. I've not come away with very many images that are both unique and exceptional. The photo in Canyonlands is Mesa Arch. The overlook of the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers is nice. I would like to visit the False Kiva some time. The Canyonlands are also home to pictographs and petroglyphs known as The Great Gallery. It's probably out of season, but the park ranger who does the astronomy program off toward the Green River campground does an excellent job.

West of Canyonlands are things like Horseshoe Canyon and Robbers Roost, which are pretty remote. Robbers Roost is where Butch Cassidy used to hang out. It's also where the dude from 127 Hours was when he biffed his arm.

Things like Goblin Valley State Park and Monument Valley, UT/AZ are about two- and three hours away, respectively. I'm not sure you'll have time to visit something so far from Moab, but they are worth seeing some time (the latter more than the former, imo).

If you need some inspiration, Tom Till has been 'the guy' producing Moab-area postcards for the past billion or so years. Also, searching for Moab movie locations should give you a few ideas of what's out there; a lot of stuff has been filmed and photographed in Utah.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the focal length on that shot?

200mm

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 8, 2011

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Leviathor posted:

Let me preface this by saying I abhor traveling in the Southwest in March. I've never had a good photographic experience during that part of the year in that area.

I've shot in Utah on a few occasions. Moab's closest national park attraction is Arches. If you grew up watching Indiana Jones (TLC), you will recognize a few of the locations from the young Indy exposition. Arches is accessible to anyone in decent condition. This time of year the number of tourists at the bigger attractions (like Delicate Arch) should be manageable. The sandstone in the oft-traveled areas can be slippery, and since Arches gets snow/sleet/ice/rain (all at the same time, sometimes), some of the areas may be treacherous. PS. Delicate Arch is a sunset attraction, and while it is a short hike (TO the arch, not the 'viewing area' or whatever), it does require some common sense and navigational awareness.

Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands National Park are also very close. I've been to Dead Horse Point four times and, due to weather, have never seen it from the classical canyon rim view...

Canyonlands are a challenge photographically, especially above the rim. I've not come away with very many images that are both unique and exceptional. The photo in Canyonlands is Mesa Arch. The overlook of the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers is nice. I would like to visit the False Kiva some time. The Canyonlands are also home to pictographs and petroglyphs known as The Great Gallery. It's probably out of season, but the park ranger who does the astronomy program off toward the Green River campground does an excellent job.

West of Canyonlands are things like Horseshoe Canyon and Robbers Roost, which are pretty remote. Robbers Roost is where Butch Cassidy used to hang out. It's also where the dude from 127 Hours was when he biffed his arm.

Things like Goblin Valley State Park and Monument Valley, UT/AZ are about two- and three hours away, respectively. I'm not sure you'll have time to visit something so far from Moab, but they are worth seeing some time (the latter more than the former, imo).

If you need some inspiration, Tom Till has been 'the guy' producing Moab-area postcards for the past billion or so years. Also, searching for Moab movie locations should give you a few ideas of what's out there; a lot of stuff has been filmed and photographed in Utah.

Thanks for the information. I'll be doing the same bike ride, but I'm from Southern California and will be coming down through Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon and the like. This certainly helps cement in some of the ideas I had for the road trip home.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Leviathor posted:

awesome words

You rock. Much appreciated.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

here's a few I took recently:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Zabriskie Point - Death Valley National Park by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Jean-Paul Fartre
Jun 2, 2008

exitstenchalism
drat i love the desert

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Expect a dump of a Death Valley pics from me in the next week or so.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Here's some of mine:

All taken around the greater Southland/Otago area of New Zealand since I got my DSLR 6 weeks ago.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I wasn't too happy with my Racetrack shots, but it's such a cool spot I'll post some.

Racetrack Playa by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Racetrack Playa2 by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Racetrack Playa - Fisheye by xxyzz road, on Flickr

tank9900
Mar 27, 2004

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Auditore posted:

Here's some of mine:

ABSOLUTE BEAUTY

All taken around the greater Southland/Otago area of New Zealand since I got my DSLR 6 weeks ago.

Good god those are beautiful! I studied abroad there last semester and I miss it so much. Thank you for bringing memories of the sheer beauty of it all back to me.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

tank9900 posted:

Good god those are beautiful! I studied abroad there last semester and I miss it so much. Thank you for bringing memories of the sheer beauty of it all back to me.

Thanks man! Just starting out on the photography thing.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Racetrack Playa - Fisheye by xxyzz road, on Flickr

I really like this last one, but there's a little chromatic aberration on the top left corner (and maybe on the right, I can't tell). I like to go in and desaturate them with the sponge tool, although I don't know if anyone else would notice.

Either way, I think its the best from the lot.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Reichstag posted:

A bit more contrast and I reckon this would be cool!

One from a wedding I went to

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Reichstag posted:

Awesome.

Did this a long time ago. Finally saw it right.

morning at cattle ranch by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
How often do you guys focus at the hyperfocal distance? Or do you just autofocus on a point in the scene, stop down to f/18 or whatever, then shoot? Because that's basically how I did it when I used to shoot landscapes. I haven't been around a "typical landscape scene" in a long time so it hasn't really concerned me, and most of my everyday shooting is at the larger end of the aperture. But now that I am starting to actually read about this stuff it's quite interesting. So I am curious how many of you incorporate techniques like that in your shooting?

edit: Holy crap, this was like the 4th question asked in the thread. :downs:

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2011

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Expired Polaroid landscapes inbound.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Titus Canyon - Death Valley National Park by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Mannequin posted:

How often do you guys focus at the hyperfocal distance? Or do you just autofocus on a point in the scene, stop down to f/18 or whatever, then shoot? Because that's basically how I did it when I used to shoot landscapes. I haven't been around a "typical landscape scene" in a long time so it hasn't really concerned me, and most of my everyday shooting is at the larger end of the aperture. But now that I am starting to actually read about this stuff it's quite interesting. So I am curious how many of you incorporate techniques like that in your shooting?

edit: Holy crap, this was like the 4th question asked in the thread. :downs:
I've played around with hyperfocal distance but the distance scales on lenses these days don't make it easy. My 17-40 goes from 3 feet to infinity with nothing in between, so if the hyperfocal is more than 3 feet it's not really happening. Normall I just focus about a third into the image with a small aperture and hope for the best :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Titus Canyon 2 - Death Valley National Park by xxyzz road, on Flickr

Titus Canyon 3 - Death Valley National Park by xxyzz road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2011