Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I realize that three years from now the economy will hopefully be better, but I'm still trying to make sure that as many bets as possible are hedged. I've heard Civil Engineering itself is in a rough spot, but I hope it will have recovered by the time I graduate.

Civil's no worse off than any other branch, and will probably recover faster than most: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

According to the US Department of Labor, civil engineering will grow ~24% over the 2008-2018 decade. The US's infrastructure is crumbling and unlike MEs and EEs, we're really hard to outsource. The only engineering field projected to outpace civil is...environmental!

I don't mean to paint of rosy picture of rainbows and unicorns, but I wouldn't be too concerned with the job markets you're looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

People have been telling me ChemE is a declining field for various reasons, is this true?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

For everyone:
How important is GPA for EnviroE, CivilE, or, well, anything? Granted you're trying to get a job, not get into grad school? I've got a mediocre B- average - is this going to hurt me? Mind you I'm just now in Calc1, so I'm far from stuck here.

GPA isn't the most important thing if you can get relevant work experience via internships or coops. Personally, I scored a great (ie-noncoal, 65k+) job with a 2.5 in mining engineering, BUT I have a ton of work experience in underground coal and salt mines. That experience really set me apart because during the interviews I could speak to projects I had handled and the results I achieved. Luckily for me, that work/those results showed I know what I'm doing, moreso than my admittedly poor GPA.

If you don't have the experiences, the only thing you really have to flaunt are the grades, and you'll need them. I have an Aero friend with a 3, but no work experience. While his grades are pretty good, there's literally nothing setting him apart because there are plenty of better grades in the department, and he has no experience whatsoever.

TLDR: So, if there's any advice I could give you...Its 1) Get some relevant work experience during every school break you possibly can and 2) Strive for at least a decent GPA.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Frinkahedron posted:

If you're still taking calc classes, you still have the meat of your engineering classes to go. For full time stuff, they'll only really care about your in major GPA, which you probably still have to build up.

Yeah the only "Core" class is CHM1 which was an A :buddy:

Crazy Russian professor too! She used to do pchem and work behind lead bricks doing nuclear chemistry. She once told us that she didn't get to read 1984 until perestroika.

I don't know how but my rather unremarkable CC has some EXCELLENT teachers.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Wolfy posted:

People have been telling me ChemE is a declining field for various reasons, is this true?

ChemE is weird, because there's Petroleum, and then there's Everything Else. They're two different worlds. I'm a ChemE that works in alternative energy, so I couldn't tell you what the rest of the job market looks like right now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

RogueLemming posted:

I don't mean to paint of rosy picture of rainbows and unicorns, but I wouldn't be too concerned with the job markets you're looking at.
Seriously, don't worry about what branch of engineering you want to do because of job availability.

They all have jobs available and plenty of room for advancement. Particularly when you consider how many people in those fields are looking at retiring soon.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Murgos posted:

Seriously, don't worry about what branch of engineering you want to do because of job availability.

They all have jobs available and plenty of room for advancement. Particularly when you consider how many people in those fields are looking at retiring soon.

Gen Y's revenge? :smug:

I smugly look forward to that.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Murgos posted:

Particularly when you consider how many people in those fields are looking at retiring soon.

People have been saying this to me for more than 15 years.

It is a loving lie.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nobody retires anymore, they die or get fired hope this helps.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
That's what they're saying about my field, naval architecture. The average age in the field is like 50 something, lots of dudes 70+. They gotta die sometime right?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

ApathyGifted posted:

It is a loving lie.

:ms:

Welp, I hope people start dying or getting fired.

In the long term I guess the best bet is just to get the hell to an area where you can actually expect retirement and benefits, such as the Commonwealth nations, or other first world countries granted you would be willing to learn a new language.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ApathyGifted posted:

It is a loving lie.

*shrug*

I look around the last couple of offices I've worked in and it seems like more than half are over 50. Engineering is a field you can work pretty much as late in life as you want though.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ApathyGifted posted:

It is a loving lie.

This is the honest truth, at least in aerospace. The age breakdown I've seen for companies like Boeing is something along the lines of:

5% - 65+
60% - 45 to 65
30% - 30 to 45
5% - 30 and younger

I was lucky enough to recently get a job offer at a defense firm in DC, and the hiring managers I talked to explained that they've been having to struggle against a lot of resistance from their customer base (DoD, FAA, NRO) to hire young engineers for projects, since the whole industry has just sunk into a "only trust someone with 15+ years of experience" mentality.

Now, that's not to say don't go into aerospace or engineering in general. I've definitely seen more and more entry-level openings popping up since 2009, you just have to cast a wide net and send your resume to as many places as possible. And while it's kind of morbid to say, with the average age in many engineering fields already well into the 50s there's going to come a point when a big chunk is going to kick the bucket or otherwise become physically unable to work.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
20 year retirements already, sheesh.

If we didn't have this retarded wealth gospel/work ethic/screw a personal life mentality then we wouldn't have people literally hoping their elders would die.

I can't help but roll my eyes are how ridiculous this all is. How did we get this way anyway?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2023

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

diospadre posted:

Nobody retires anymore, they die or get fired hope this helps.

We're going through a VRiF (Voluntary Reduction in Force) basically early retirement with a sweet package. Some stats I saw showed that ~30% of the employees were already eligible for retirement. I personally work with three guys that have been here for a combined 128 years...42+43+43 (DoD Contracting). No one retires.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
So workaholics are wrecking things for the next generation?

Go America.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I can't help but roll my eyes are how ridiculous this all is. How did we get this way anyway?

If you stop your whole family loses their health insurance and dies.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

diospadre posted:

Yeah my mom, who is not an engineer, is seriously considering working until 71 for lifetime health insurance.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

diospadre posted:

We even still have pensions and some kind of health care after retiring. I really have no clue why these guys that are 70 years old are still sticking around. Most have military pensions too.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Engineering jobs tend to have some of the highest job satisfaction ratings out there. Most older engineers simply enjoy their work v:shobon:v

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Engineering jobs tend to have some of the highest job satisfaction ratings out there. Most older engineers simply enjoy their work v:shobon:v

Well to be fair, engineers either really really love their jobs, or really, really hate their jobs.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Not to derail the current topic of hoping older engineers die/retire, I'm a Fall '10 BME grad with no related work experience applying for anything and everything entry level to try and get some work experience. I think I'm more interested in designing "stuff," and right now I'm trying to get some simple sketches I've done into Solidworks. My Solidworks experience so far has been a 2 week period going through the tutorials with my professor, then designing a toaster. Are there any other recommended tutorials out there while I go through the basic tutorial again?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

SubCrid TC posted:

Well to be fair, engineers either really really love their jobs, or really, really hate their jobs.

Yeah, although if you really hate engineering and are still sticking with it after 15-20 years, there's probably something seriously wrong with you.

GTJustin posted:

Not to derail the current topic of hoping older engineers die/retire, I'm a Fall '10 BME grad with no related work experience applying for anything and everything entry level to try and get some work experience. I think I'm more interested in designing "stuff," and right now I'm trying to get some simple sketches I've done into Solidworks. My Solidworks experience so far has been a 2 week period going through the tutorials with my professor, then designing a toaster. Are there any other recommended tutorials out there while I go through the basic tutorial again?

You could try some of the Solidworks certification and tutorial programs - it gives you something concrete to add to your resume and most software certification programs include some good tutorials or other instructional content. It also helps show employers that you're pursuing education outside the classroom which is always a good thing. I did a similar thing after graduating with STK and it was a significant factor in getting some interviews.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

GTJustin posted:

Are there any other recommended tutorials out there while I go through the basic tutorial again?

http://cadjunkie.com/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone else currently studying for the FE? I'm slated to take the April 9th exam as a graduating senior. I bought the highly recommended Rapid Prep FE Review Manual by Lindeburg and the handbook. Going through this stuff makes me feel so inept. I've forgotten/never learned so much material. I know the scores don't have to be stellar to pass but...I'm still kind of intimidated.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 25, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Dead Pressed posted:

:words: I've forgotten/never learned so much material. I know the scores don't have to be stellar to pass but...I'm still kind of intimidated.

don't worry about it. you just have to do better than your classmates :v: get a casio FX-115 right now and learn how to use it, do your practice exams and problems with it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SB35 posted:

don't worry about it. you just have to do better than your classmates :v: get a casio FX-115 right now and learn how to use it, do your practice exams and problems with it.

I kinda wish they told you your score, would have loved to know if I passed by a single point, or by a comfortable margin.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

SB35 posted:

I went with the TI-30 Multiview because, well, I really need the multiview. :)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

movax posted:

I kinda wish they told you your score, would have loved to know if I passed by a single point, or by a comfortable margin.
They did report scores at one point about 3 years ago, but only for a brief period, and only for a few states. I was one of the lucky few who got my scores. Got a 91 on the FE :smug:

Armed with that knowledge, I didn't study nearly as hard for the PE, and still got an 86. I'm told don't like to report PE scores because they don't want the PE exam to be a judge of the quality of an engineer or something that people put on their resumes, they want it to be a minimum qualification.

Casio FX-115MS rules. Liked it so much, I bought a 2nd so I could have one at work and one at home. I don't even bother with my massive graphic calculators anymore.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

You could try some of the Solidworks certification and tutorial programs - it gives you something concrete to add to your resume and most software certification programs include some good tutorials or other instructional content. It also helps show employers that you're pursuing education outside the classroom which is always a good thing. I did a similar thing after graduating with STK and it was a significant factor in getting some interviews.

Lord Gaga posted:

http://cadjunkie.com/

Thanks! Just what I was looking for

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Life's about greasing the 'do back, buddy, and wheezin' on the buff-fest
Senior Chemical Engineer here, just received an offer (my first! :dance:) from Michelin. Anyone have any experience with them?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Hah. Congrats. My father has worked for Michelin for the last 20 or so years as an ME. He LOVES it. He's had a lot of opportunity for growth and they've always treated him very well.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Anyone looking for full time in the systems/mechanical/structural/naval/test engineering fields, General Dynamics Electric Boat is literally hiring 300 entry level engineers this year, just flew up yesterday and back today for an interview.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frinkahedron posted:

Anyone looking for full time in the systems/mechanical/structural/naval/test engineering fields, General Dynamics Electric Boat is literally hiring 300 entry level engineers this year, just flew up yesterday and back today for an interview.

I interviewed with them ~5 years ago when I graduated...and their facility was the most depressing place I've ever seen. I think about 30% of all offices/cubes were empty, looked neglected and hadn't been updated since the 60s. Is it any different now? I assume this is the Groton facility?

I'm pretty sure this was right around when the Government started buying half the subs they used to or something.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

grover posted:

Casio FX-115MS rules. Liked it so much, I bought a 2nd so I could have one at work and one at home. I don't even bother with my massive graphic calculators anymore.

I still love my TI-89 because of the nice screen and ability to scroll back up and see your calculations, among other things. But the FX-115MS is definitely the best "dumb-calculator" I ever had, and definitely recommended for the FE.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 26, 2011

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This calculator chat is timely because the other day in calculus (1st year BSc undergrad here) we were told to try and 'wean ourselves off' calulators - this in a class that includes and engineering stream. I come from NSW, where graphic calculators are banned in state schools but am studying in VIC where they aren't - and now we are being told to avoid using them as much as possible.

smashczar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
As a high school in senior in calc 1, i would be crushed if i couldn't use my TI-83 Plus. It's not as much a crutch as one of my loving legs.