Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I thought the average was ten, like it has been shown to take for mastery of other difficult things (someone post that study)? So maybe he was roughly average, maybe he wasn't always spending the same amount of time on BJJ because he wasn't BJ Penn not having to work a day in his life, maybe his coach is tight with belts...this is ignorant white belt speculation.

Speaking of my ignorance I really want Megaton to win but only because I learned about Zelda before I learned about explosive payloads. Does he have a good hammerlock?
Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

fawker posted:

Haha, so apparently, there have been a rash of guys at my gym that like to walk around with their shirt off after classes/during mat time, between rolls to basically show off their "amazing physiques"

Some dude posted this on the door of our locker room:
"Please do not take your shirt off after class and strut around(unless you are Pablo Popovitch, if you are, PLEASE do) everyone is laughing at you and you aren't cool."

does everyone at your gym suffer from an inferiority complex or something?
i mean obviously there will be people who you can tell are doing it for the simple reason of showing off but i don't know if it's different where you are but here many people walk around shirtless or even in just their briefs simply because it's nice and cool and it's not A Big Thing at all

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

imtheism posted:

Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

I don't think it's quite that drastic. I think what you are seeing is that 10-15 years ago the only BJJ Black Belts in the US were hardcore competitors, but now you are starting to see guys who are advancing more due to "time in grade" that are never going to challange at ADCC or anything, but they still know a lot about BJJ. It is a just a natural progression of BJJ as it goes from being all hardcore competitors to having a large number of recreational players. It's the same progression Judo went through a generation ago and it isn't automatically a bad thing. It's just the next stage of BJJ in America.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
also if you are very unathletic but deeply understand bjj, you may not be a very good competitor, but still deserve a blackbelt.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

imtheism posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much bullshit.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

My Pan Ams experience.

I arrived at the venue about 2 hours before my division was set to start, and surprisingly wasn't very nervous. I say surprisingly because the last time I competed(at a tiny little in-house tournament in December) I was so nervous I left my house 2 hours earlier than I needed to, and by the time I stepped on the mat my stomach was tying itself in knots. Anyway, I hung out with my teammates for a while until they called my division to the bullpen at which point I changed into my gi went downstairs and waited for between 20-30 minutes. Then I went into the halls to run for 10 minutes or so and break a sweat. And then I waited some more. At this point me and my coach realized he needed an official federation black belt id to coach me, so he went to register for one, and then my bracket was called. I weighed in at 200 lbs(division was up to 207) I was hoping to be able to warm up some more since I had basically cooled down, but my match was the first one in our group and I had less than 3 minutes between weighing in and the match.

I quickly grabbed a collar and sleeve grip and pulled de la riva, my opponent back stepped into half guard and I grabbed his far pants leg and used that to nearly sweep him over, but he recovered into half guard. After a little while I was able to make some space and force him back into de la riva I started to look for his back, but he did a good job of killing my non hooking leg, he stepped forward into me so I switched to reverse de la riva and tried the knee push sweep and came kind of close(though apparently not close enough to score an advantage) but he defended that too. Eventually he stood back up and I went back to dlr. He then broke my grips and backed out of my guard. All that happened in the first 2 minutes or so(at least that's what I was told). After he broke my grip he initiated a pass attempt, but I turtled to avoid it. I spent the majority of the next 4 minutes in turtle except for a few seconds where he established the back and mount. Ended up loosing 8-0.

I was really confused when the referree called time, because I thought our match couldn't have been going on for longer than 2-3 minutes, but apparently I had totally lost track of time. Unfortunately my coach still hadn't gotten his ID card by the time my match had ended, and without my glasses I couldn't see the scoreboard, which is frustrating because while I might or might not have been able to win the match, I certainly would have been more aggressive about escaping if I knew I had so little time.

In any event, I feel like it was a good experience, even though I didn't learn a lot(going in I already knew my escapes needed a lot of work, and that I was in the wrong weight class). However I was pleased with how I handled my nerves, even though I last track of time I did much better than my last competition(where a six minute match felt like it took an hour, I couldn't pull the trigger on my attacks and I had a total adrenaline dump 2 minutes into the match).

I'm going to compete once or twice in may(Jean Jacques is putting on a tournament on the 15th, and the worlds are the last weekend of the month I'll do one or both of them depending on school and money). And I'll be competing at those at middle heavy.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

imtheism posted:

except a lot of those "bad" black belts now would completely tool the blackbelts from 15 years ago.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there are more bad black belts now than there were 10 years ago only because of the proliferation of affiliations. There are a lot of stories of some guy being a purple belt under team x and then switching to team y and being a black belt two years later, I'm sure some of those stories are just sour grapes but if even half of them are true than theres quite a few guys who got black belts well before they were deserved.

But if we're talking about legitimate black belts than the level is probably the same if not higher than 10 years back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there are more bad black belts now than there were 10 years ago only because of the proliferation of affiliations. There are a lot of stories of some guy being a purple belt under team x and then switching to team y and being a black belt two years later, I'm sure some of those stories are just sour grapes but if even half of them are true than theres quite a few guys who got black belts well before they were deserved.

Why do you assume they aren't deserved?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Respect all black belts imho.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Why do you assume they aren't deserved?

Some of them are fairly obvious(Gene Simco is well known for cycling through 3-4 different instructors because they wouldn't promote him fast enough, I'm to lazy to look up exactly what happened, but I know some of them posted about it online), and while he's the most famous guy who's had that charge leveled against him, he's far from the only one. There's a Tae Kwon Do instructor who bought his black belt from Joe Moreira, Joe's black belts don't even deny that charge.I know a lot of guys are looking to affiliate in exchange for a promotion because my coach has told tons of stories of different guys offering a lot of money in exchange for a black belt. Like I said, I don't think all or even most guys who get a belt after changing teams are frauds, but there's enough smoke that there has to be a little fire.

That's not even including all the different guys who claim to be a black belt under someone there not(Recently there was someone claiming to be a Wallid Ismael bb and some guy in Idaho claimed to be a Checkmat black belt, and both of them turned out to be frauds).

OrangeCrush posted:

Respect all black belts imho.

Everyone who put's the time on the mat to earn a black belt has my respect, I'm not one of those guys who thinks every black belt has to win a big tournament or be able to tool guys 20 years younger and 40 pounds heavier. But that doesn't mean that everyone who claims(or in some case is promoted to) black belt is above reproach.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The thing about gift belts in BJJ is that pretty much everyone knows who gives them. Gene Simco is a joke in the BJJ world. Although Joe Moreira is a legitimate black belt, he's had multiple questionable promotions to the point that anyone has questions about a Joe Moreira black belt. The community is still fairly small.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Pan Ams are streaming live at budovideos.com(today is free) right now it's masters division black belts, black belt adult absolute starts at about 2:15 PST.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Just got off the phone with Joe Padilla (from Padilla and Sons)
This guy is awesome, remembered me just from my email that I sent like 4 days ago and hooked me up with some freebies.

Cause i have stupid short legs, I have to get mismatched top/bottom (A3 bottom A4 top) which usually costs $10 extra. Joe said cause I was Canadian he would waive that charge and he also said that since it was my first Gi, he would throw in a free white belt. A really nice guy!

Im super excited for my goldweave to come in :)

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- JIU-JITSU (18 Submissions)
- QUANTUM PHYSICS

fawker posted:

Just got off the phone with Joe Padilla (from Padilla and Sons)
This guy is awesome, remembered me just from my email that I sent like 4 days ago and hooked me up with some freebies.

Cause i have stupid short legs, I have to get mismatched top/bottom (A3 bottom A4 top) which usually costs $10 extra. Joe said cause I was Canadian he would waive that charge and he also said that since it was my first Gi, he would throw in a free white belt. A really nice guy!

Im super excited for my goldweave to come in :)

Padilla and Sons is The Best Company.

The announcers for the Pan Ams are really funny. "...what did we just watch?"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

since it was my first Gi, he would throw in a free white belt.

Wait, since when does a Gi not come with a white belt? I have like 20 white belts because of this.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Wait, since when does a Gi not come with a white belt? I have like 20 white belts because of this.

Only my Judo gi's came with belts

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

Only my Judo gi's came with belts

I guess I've only bought one specifically BJJ Gi, but it came with a white belt. Maybe that was an exception.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Adult black belt absolute starting now

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS
Two men dragging two girls like a log is hilarious

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
guess i missed the free showing, boo

edit:
ah found the real link now thanks

Opal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 26, 2011

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Of the budovideo stream? They're showing matches right now. It's guys on the right and ladies on the left.

edit: stocky chick is executing an extremely slow progression to side control.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Rodolfo Vieira in the absolute finals. He tore through everyone, 2 cross chokes 2 back chokes. He's a loving monster.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Rodolfo Vieira in the absolute finals. He tore through everyone, 2 cross chokes 2 back chokes. He's a loving monster.

this finals gonna be awesome!

buchecha was really impressive in the open as well. Cant wait to watch some more of his matches this week on Youtube. His double leg on Vella was great!

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS
Goddamn BJJ vs MMA scheduling

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Okay so, I signed up for the Ontario Open BJJ tournament in toronto. There was only one other guy in my division, (rooster) so I figured I'd at least get second place.

Just now a guy from team renzo gracie and a guy from royler's gym signed up. :smith: (my only training comes from my universities BJJ club)

Better start drilling cartwheel passes and secret move.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I'm so loving bummed I can't order todays pan am stream.

edit: gently caress it ordered

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 27, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Carlos Holanda Vieria messes up his guard pull, gets mounted and makes me look like a chump by losing his first round match after I picked him to win

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Abmar Barbosa no showed. Looks like the middle weight finals will probably be Calasans/Burns.

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

dokomoy posted:

Abmar Barbosa no showed. Looks like the middle weight finals will probably be Calasans/Burns.

http://www.calasanz.com/ !?!?!?

My little cousin went there until I had him switched to BJJ under a Rolls coral belt.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Calasans is based out of Brazil, and they do judo/bjj so probably not? But maybe they're affiliated.

Also Lucas Leite beat Gilbert Burns by refs decision. I had to step away for a minute and missed most of the match, can't wait to see it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Buchecha is on another level. Sweeps and then knee bars his first opponent in maybe 3 minutes

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Chexoid posted:

Okay so, I signed up for the Ontario Open BJJ tournament in toronto. There was only one other guy in my division, (rooster) so I figured I'd at least get second place.

Just now a guy from team renzo gracie and a guy from royler's gym signed up. :smith: (my only training comes from my universities BJJ club)

Better start drilling cartwheel passes and secret move.

Which gym do you go to? I can understand if you dont want to share... just curious!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

fawker posted:

Which gym do you go to? I can understand if you dont want to share... just curious!

Western Jiu jitsu. It's pretty relaxed and fun, even if our instructor can be kind of a dick (over 200 pounds and intentionally puts his all his weight directly on the chest of 125'ers such as msyelf).

MuonManLaserJab
Nov 6, 2010

- QUANTUM PHYSICS

dokomoy posted:

Calasans is based out of Brazil, and they do judo/bjj so probably not? But maybe they're affiliated.

Also Lucas Leite beat Gilbert Burns by refs decision. I had to step away for a minute and missed most of the match, can't wait to see it.

I know Calasanz is a different guy, he's just famously ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ld_qG8Z-s

See the magic scissor sweep at 3:25 and the final hambeast freeze-frame.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Crossposting from my tflc log

Went to Cobrinha's spot today for his grand opening and had a blast. Bruno Malfacine, Michael and Michel Langhi, Lucas Lepri, Bernardio Faria, Leo Itturalde, and Fabio Gurgel, and one guy who I didn't recognize showed techniques. My mind was blown on several occasions. I wanted to roll with those guys sooo bad, but I stayed disciplined and didn't roll, so that's a good/terrible thing. Langhi, Gurgel, Faria and Malfacine rolled with guys for half an hour+ and watching those guys is even more amazing in person than it is on dvd. Langhi and Malfacine are lightning quick and acrobatic as hell, and Fabio's pressure looked absolutely devastating.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Why wouldn't you roll?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

westcoaster posted:

Why wouldn't you roll?

I hurt my back a few weeks back, but I had been training through it in preperation for the Pan Ams. In my log Fatherdog had cautioned against showing up to the gym just to train because just training turns into rolling light which turns into going 100 percent which can turn into making your injuries worse. Believe me, I would have loved to train with those guys.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

so I messed up my neck again a bit, we were going over guillotines and positional sparing with it and I held out little too long instead of just tapping. Are there any decent stretches or message rolling things I can do-I have a foam roller- to help it feel a bit better? The neck bridges hurt when I do them right now, but I do those as part of my warm up now also to strengthen the neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RE: Neck bridges.
I want to start doing them because my neck muscles have been sore coming out of classes. So I youtubed "neck bridges" and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vg5T4vkew

If I attempt that, Im pretty sure I'd accidently paralyze myself. How can I tone what that guy was doing so I can strengthen my neck muscles without snapping my neck?