Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I hate to say it, but you should probably read the Wheel of Time series. It's practically designed for you. Imagine if Stephen King spent two decades putting together a 13-volume series about an in-depth fantasy world locked in massively epic conflict with whole volumes devoted almost entirely to romance subplots.

Do I start with New Spring, or Eye of the World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dopaMEAN posted:

Do I start with New Spring, or Eye of the World?

New spring's a prequel; you could theoretically start there but I'd say start with Eye. New Spring's probably more "interesting to people who've read some of the books already" rather than "great place to start the story" -- it'd probably spoil some mysteries in the first book.

Be aware that the first couple hundred pages of Eye move a little slowly -- you're sinking in for the long haul, after all :P

You might end up not liking it after all -- maybe take a look at the Wheel of Time thread for some takes on the series --- but overall the wheel of time is to the Modern Fantasy Epic Series what the first Matrix movie was to cyperpunk: it took all the different elements that made up the genre and threw them together in a polished, defining masterpiece. It might be a masterpiece that seems a little hokey or flawed to newer eyes, but it's still right there and you can't get away from it.

Just look at the size of the Wheel of Time thread -- if you count up that thread and threads of the other books and series that the WoT spawned (George R R Martin, for example, said he credited Robert Jordan's jacket quote with launching sales for Game of Thrones, the Brandon Sanderson thread, etc.,), this is almost a wheel of time subforum.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 24, 2011

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Just look at the size of the Wheel of Time thread -- if you count up that thread and threads of the other books and series that the WoT spawned (George R R Martin, for example, said he credited Robert Jordan's jacket quote with launching sales for Game of Thrones, the Brandon Sanderson thread, etc.,), this is almost a wheel of time subforum.

Well I'm certainly convinced to give it an honest try. I've always been more interested in science fiction books, mostly because I haven't found that many fantasy books that I loved. I prefer fantasy in games, though (even though I know Mass Effect is better written and paced than Dragon Age, I will always love Dragon Age more). Maybe this will finally really get me into the fantasy genre!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dopaMEAN posted:

Well I'm certainly convinced to give it an honest try. I've always been more interested in science fiction books, mostly because I haven't found that many fantasy books that I loved. I prefer fantasy in games, though (even though I know Mass Effect is better written and paced than Dragon Age, I will always love Dragon Age more). Maybe this will finally really get me into the fantasy genre!

Ok, for sci-fi, it's a little tougher. A few to look for (sticking to the big name classics):

Ringworld by Larry Niven (don't read sequels)

Neuromancer by William Gibson

The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (like a lot of Zelazny, the technology here is at a level where it's almost indistinguishable from magic, and he's playing along the border between fantasy and sci-fi)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein

Check those out if you haven't, they should give you some interesting directions to look in. If you like Moon is a Harsh Mistress, read Old Man's War by John Scalzi. If you like Neuromancer look up other cyberpunk (esp. Neal Stephenson). If you like Ringworld read more Niven, if you like Lord of Light read more Zelazny.

EDIT: Mass Effect's writing borrowed heavily from Vernor Vinge's stuff, so he's another author you might be interested in. Read _Fire Upon_the_Deep or _Deepness in the Sky_.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 24, 2011

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Ok, for sci-fi, it's a little tougher. A few to look for (sticking to the big name classics):

Ringworld by Larry Niven (don't read sequels)

Neuromancer by William Gibson

The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny (like a lot of Zelazny, the technology here is at a level where it's almost indistinguishable from magic, and he's playing along the border between fantasy and sci-fi)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein

Check those out if you haven't, they should give you some interesting directions to look in. If you like Moon is a Harsh Mistress, read Old Man's War by John Scalzi. If you like Neuromancer look up other cyberpunk (esp. Neal Stephenson). If you like Ringworld read more Niven, if you like Lord of Light read more Zelazny.

EDIT: Mass Effect's writing borrowed heavily from Vernor Vinge's stuff, so he's another author you might be interested in. Read _Fire Upon_the_Deep or _Deepness in the Sky_.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I just grabbed a copy of The Eye of the World and I'm hooked already!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't remember if it was this thread or the sci-fi/fantasy recs thread I've already said it in, but I'll say it again for dopaMEAN's sake:

If you like Mass Effect and gothic space horror (like Aliens or Event Horizon), read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It has plot elements and the wide-universe feel of the former, and the foreboding tone of the latter.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I just do not understand the love this book gets and cannot fathom how it won the SF award trifecta. Is it the mysterious tech that people fall for? I tried to re-read this after having first read it 20 years ago and this time around found the dialog between the characters downright embarassing to read. I couldn't finish it.

It's good in the same way Asimov is good -- not so much the writing as that it's a story "about" fairly abstruse and interesting scientific and engineering concepts. It's one of the archetypal "hard SF" novels, right up there with the Foundation series.

It's definitely not the best sci-fi novel ever written or anything, but it's an archetypal example of the type of "hard sf" that dominated the field for like twenty years. So if you're trying to figure out what SF you'd like to read, it's worth taking a look at. You might find out you want to read more Niven, Asimov, etc., or you might decide "wait, this sucks," and then when you start reading (for example) Zelazny or Gibson, you'll appreciate them even more than you would otherwise because you'll understand more of what they were reacting against.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the sci-fi/fantasy recs thread I've already said it in, but I'll say it again for dopaMEAN's sake:

If you like Mass Effect and gothic space horror (like Aliens or Event Horizon), read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. It has plot elements and the wide-universe feel of the former, and the foreboding tone of the latter.

I feel like someone might have recommended that in the Mass Effect thread...

I'll check that out as well. I just finally watched Aliens on Thanksgiving, and I really loved it. I have no idea why it took me so long to see it. I still haven't seen Event Horizon...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

dopaMEAN posted:

I feel like someone might have recommended that in the Mass Effect thread...

I'll check that out as well. I just finally watched Aliens on Thanksgiving, and I really loved it. I have no idea why it took me so long to see it. I still haven't seen Event Horizon...

I know this is the Book Barn but i cannot recommend Event Horizon enough, it's basically my favourite horror movie. It's very very VERY hosed up and awesome. Best described as The Shining in space.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Fun Fact: Event Horizon was Eric Harris' favorite movie.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I know this is the Book Barn but i cannot recommend Event Horizon enough, it's basically my favourite horror movie. It's very very VERY hosed up and awesome. Best described as The Shining in space.

Sorry to get off topic more, but have you seen Moon? I really loved that movie for its space creepiness as well. Plus it was scored by Clint Mansell!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Does anyone have any opinions on The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? I've been thinking about picking it up, but how much "science" content is there vs. other material?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 22, 2016

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

I need a recommendation on a book (or series) about "the war in heaven", i.e. war between angels and demons.

Not the biblical thingie, more like Darksider's computer game setting.

Anything worth a nickel on this subject?

Thanks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You might try To Reign in Hell by Stephen Brust. It's a slightly different take on the subject.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Since Shogun 2 just got released i'm looking for a good book on the sengoku era in Japan.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looking for a good suspense novel, something like "And then they were none".
Maybe something from Agatha Christie, something from someone else wouldn't bother me either.

Just a good LONG suspense novel.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

dopaMEAN posted:

Sorry to get off topic more, but have you seen Moon? I really loved that movie for its space creepiness as well. Plus it was scored by Clint Mansell!

I was very bored for most of Moon. I don't like Sam Rockwell much (three of him did not help matters) and I thought the plot twists were pretty dull and uninspired.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ornamented Death posted:

You might try To Reign in Hell by Stephen Brust. It's a slightly different take on the subject.

Seconding this one. I loved that book.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I feel Niven is just a poor writer and several times I read a few lines of Ringworld's dialog aloud to my wife for a good laugh. Reading it aloud really exposes it as stilted and unwieldy. Personally, I think Philip Jose Farmer did it better with the first Riverworld.

Wow, really? I haven't read Ringworld yet, but the Riverworld series are literally the worst books I have ever forced myself through.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just finished the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss on the recommendation of the thread and now I am jonesing for more of the same.

Should I check out more of his stuff, or is there another series that has a similar mix of a clever protagonist and a world full of "sciency" practical magic?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a strange request: can anyone recommend a book about cultural exchanges between humans and aliens? I'm always entertained by examining our society and culture from the perspective of a different species. I don't mean Twilight Zone style morality tales that boil down to, "Oh, you petty humans with your backwards ways." More just stories where aliens interact with humans and they spend a lot of time discussing all the weird stuff we do.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Can anyone suggestion a book about 19th century history of major European countries. One giving a detailed account on the growth of Prussia and Austria during the 19th century would be awesome.

Late, but I just ran across this review and bought the book on the strength of it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/sep/09/featuresreviews.guardianreview10

quote:

Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947
by Christopher Clark
816pp, Allen Lane, £30

Rumours emanating from the publishing world suggest that, with the possible exception of books about queens, the "history boom" of recent years has already gone into steep decline. Let us hope that the sands into which it has run are not those forming the soil of Brandenburg around Berlin. For it is on this unpromising terrain that Christopher Clark's excellent tome begins.

From here, Clark shows the Prussian state being strengthened and expanded through a series of annexations and wars. His interest in military technique is well exercised as he pursues his story through the 18th century, when yet another Frederick took over Silesia and Saxony, fought with the Swedes and grabbed large chunks of Poland. Then, in 1806, comes the "Napoleonic shock": a shattering defeat by the French at the battles of Jena and Auerstedt, which triggered extensive social and political reform. Clark attends to the revolutionary demands of 1848, here judged to have "constitutionalised Prussian politics without demilitarising the Prussian monarchy". He also gives due prominence to Bismarck, who became minister-president in 1862 and carried out further expansions, including the annexation of Alsace-Lorraine - a cause of lasting and fateful antagonism with France.

It is only by contrary example that this book may remind us how miserable some hastily written products of the recent "history boom" have been. Clark is not one to swagger over the dead, secure in the knowledge that they cannot answer back. Instead, this is a well-informed and fair-minded historical investigation, written by a man who is plainly fascinated by the changing circumstances under which lives are lived and decisions made. One of the pleasures of this book is to watch Clark weighing the undeniable otherness of the past and resisting any tendency to convert it into a costume drama.

Iron Kingdom is written over such a wide canvas that even the most appreciative reader is likely to suffer moments of confusion. For me, the fog remained thick over Schleswig-Holstein. These northern duchies, which lie close to Denmark between the Baltic and the North Sea, have long since reverted to agrarian placidity within Germany, but they caused widespread alarm in the 19th century. Caught up in warfare between Denmark and Prussia, their future became connected with the ambitions of various rival powers, including Austria, Russia and Britain. All that you need to know about this flashpoint is presented here. However, I was grateful to Clark for admitting that most of the protagonists in this particular story seem to be named either Christopher or, indeed, Frederick.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I recently re-watched Thank You For Smoking, and I'm hankering after stories where the protagonist is very smooth and able to convince people of anything.

I suspect people might think of James Bond, but I've already read most of the Bond books, and the others are lined up.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...
My current reading kick is books on the Financial Crisis. I started with The Big Short, then moved on to All the Devils Are Here and Griftopia. I have a list of several others I want to look into, including Too Big To Fail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for books that are entertaining and well written in the Michael Lewis vain, more than dry academic texts. I'm also interested in similar books on our financial history, like the Great Depression.

Any ideas?

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Centipeed posted:

I recently re-watched Thank You For Smoking, and I'm hankering after stories where the protagonist is very smooth and able to convince people of anything.

I suspect people might think of James Bond, but I've already read most of the Bond books, and the others are lined up.

The first thing that came to my mind is the Fletch series by Gregory McDonald. I haven't seen the Chevy Chase Movies based on them, but the books are great. Very funny, cool, non-traditional private eye style (Fletch is an investigative reporter) books. Convincing people of things is what Fletch is all about.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

Here's a strange request: can anyone recommend a book about cultural exchanges between humans and aliens? I'm always entertained by examining our society and culture from the perspective of a different species. I don't mean Twilight Zone style morality tales that boil down to, "Oh, you petty humans with your backwards ways." More just stories where aliens interact with humans and they spend a lot of time discussing all the weird stuff we do.
I thought the Commonwealth novels (including the Pip&Flinx ones, of course) by Mr. Alan Dean Foster did a fairly good job of this. He does have the "you petty humans" but he also has the "you petty aliens" to balance it and I think he did well in setting up his universe.

They are, however, schlock. Good schlock, for the most part, but be warned that the writing isn't always up to the good ideas and there are errors of fact that someone with a science/anthro background might find maddening. (Also, a tendency to overuse/misuse certain words, e.g., "infinite" is used far too often to describe something that is actually very much finite.) The first few Pip&Flinx books aren't as good as the later commonwealth stories. Still, I recommend them if you aren't looking for something that will trigger Deep And Profound Thoughts.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I have been reading The Grapes of Wrath and The Great Gatsby and watching The Wire, and I would like someone to recommend me a book with these things:

- a theme of Man Against Institution. Like the Joads against the Banks, or the McNulty against the machine that is the police department and the politics.
- a great social reality. The Grapes of Wrath really made the 1930s come alive to me, you know? Or at least the parts Steinbeck focused on.
- Beautiful writing. No stumbly amateurs, please.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Can anyone recommend a good non-fiction history of guilds? Pan-Europe or just the French/Dutch/German tradition, either way is fine.

Thank you for smoking was originally a book by Christopher Buckley. All his novels are comical farces featuring main characters in that similar mold, they're fun. Little Green Men is one that I remember liking.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
e: double post!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

xcheopis posted:

I thought the Commonwealth novels (including the Pip&Flinx ones, of course) by Mr. Alan Dean Foster did a fairly good job of this. He does have the "you petty humans" but he also has the "you petty aliens" to balance it and I think he did well in setting up his universe.

They are, however, schlock. Good schlock, for the most part, but be warned that the writing isn't always up to the good ideas and there are errors of fact that someone with a science/anthro background might find maddening. (Also, a tendency to overuse/misuse certain words, e.g., "infinite" is used far too often to describe something that is actually very much finite.) The first few Pip&Flinx books aren't as good as the later commonwealth stories. Still, I recommend them if you aren't looking for something that will trigger Deep And Profound Thoughts.

I started reading a synopsis for the first book. For a second I thought I was reading the plot synopsis for Avatar by mistake. How did such a blatant rip-off not make a bigger stink when that movie came out? Not that anyone accused Avatar of being a very original movie in the first place.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wikipedia posted:

Midworld is a planet entirely covered by a rain forest three-quarters of a kilometer (almost half a mile) tall. Born is a member of the primitive society that has lived peacefully on Midworld for hundreds of years, they keep the careful natural balance of the jungle so that all may live. The world is disrupted by the arrival of an exploitative human company from Earth whose representatives know nothing of the delicate stability of the planet. Born helps two of them, one of whom is a female botanist, by leading them safely through parts of the relentlessly hostile jungle. The portions of the jungle near the ground are full of bioluminescent growths. The natives live in a gigantic tree called the Home Tree. When one of them dies, they are ceremonially buried in the Home Tree. Most of the animals have six legs and three eyes. One flying creature, called a sky-devil, is a large reptile-like creature that has air intakes under its wings. Each of the locals forms a lifetime bond with a powerful predator called a furcot. The natives hunt with poison darts. All of the life on the planet is linked together in a vast neurological network centered on the plant life. The natives can sort of communicate with this network through a process they call "emfoling".

Holy loving poo poo. And it was written in 1975.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well atleast the planet isn't called Pandora...

Nobody still recommended a good long suspense novel?
Come on guys!

Actie
Jun 7, 2005
I am taking a trip to Russia in a few weeks. This is a result not of some lifelong fascination with the country (though I happen to be of Russian extraction) but of opportunism—I have the vacation days, a friend to stay with, and a cheap ticket.

However, I know so little about Russia that I feel a lot of what makes the country interesting will be lost on me. I'd love a recommendation for a thorough and entertaining history of Russia. Ideally it's not a tome (since I have only a few weeks to read it). More importantly, I would prefer it not be in the vein of your average history-class textbook: too dry and too dense. Is there such a book? Or perhaps a couple shorter books that each address a certain era (Czarist Russia, the Soviet Union, etc?).

Actie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 28, 2011

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

Old Janx Spirit posted:

My current reading kick is books on the Financial Crisis. I started with The Big Short, then moved on to All the Devils Are Here and Griftopia. I have a list of several others I want to look into, including Too Big To Fail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for books that are entertaining and well written in the Michael Lewis vain, more than dry academic texts. I'm also interested in similar books on our financial history, like the Great Depression.

Any ideas?

I recommended this one a few pages back, but it's worth mentioning again: Diary of a Very Bad Year by an anonymous hedge fund manager. It's entirely a series of interviews with the hedge fund manager from during the crisis and printed without (much) editing. It's offers a very different perspective from anything else I've read on the topic. It definitely fits the entertaining part of your request.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Any ideas?

NPR's Planet Money did a feature on this: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Depression-Diary-Benjamin-Roth/dp/158648799X

The interview was really good, I imagine the book would be interesting too. It's the diary of a lawyer from Ohio as the Great Depression unfolds.

Bob Nudd
Jul 24, 2007

Gee whiz doc!
I'd love to know about more about fabrics and textiles. The stuff is all around us every day but I'm quite ignorant when it comes to warps and wefts. Does anyone know an accessible, entertaining book about the history and development of cloths and fabrics?

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Does anybody know some fun espionage meets space operas like asimov's Lucky Starr books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Actie posted:

I am taking a trip to Russia in a few weeks. This is a result not of some lifelong fascination with the country (though I happen to be of Russian extraction) but of opportunism—I have the vacation days, a friend to stay with, and a cheap ticket.

However, I know so little about Russia that I feel a lot of what makes the country interesting will be lost on me. I'd love a recommendation for a thorough and entertaining history of Russia. Ideally it's not a tome (since I have only a few weeks to read it). More importantly, I would prefer it not be in the vein of your average history-class textbook: too dry and too dense. Is there such a book? Or perhaps a couple shorter books that each address a certain era (Czarist Russia, the Soviet Union, etc?).
I read Ian Frazier's Travels in Siberia a few weeks ago -- I'd recommend that, as it's not just about Siberia but has a lot of discussion of Russian history, culture, language, etc. It is a tome in terms of length, but it's pretty breezily written and you shouldn't have trouble finishing it within a few weeks. I think it took me 2-3 weeks, and I was only reading an hour a day on my lunch break.