Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

And then add, `...or ze movie, whatever she is called. Hwah, haw-haw-haw.'

Edit: How do you correctly transliterate the French laugh?

Hoh hoh~ is how you transliterate the french laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I just like saying Pierrot le Fou. I think that was the kid's name in Cache, too - Pierrot.

I don't know how you'd spell it phonetically.

VVV that's cheatin!

fenix down fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 18, 2011

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

fenix down posted:

I just like saying Pierrot le Fou. I think that was the kid's name in Cache, too - Pierrot.

pjɛ ro?

It's IPA!

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 18, 2011

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

fenix down posted:

VVV that's cheatin!

pyeh-roh luh foo

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

Sorry for this enormous tangent. I just watched Manhattan a few nights ago and it was my first Woody Allen movie. I thought it was tremendous. Where should I go next? I'm assuming Annie Hall but I've heard there's two types of Woody Allen movies: the neurotic Jewish New Yorker films and the genre parodies. What's a good way to approach both of these?

I would go with Annie Hall next to get a does of his comedic greatness, and then Crimes and Misdemeanors to get a dose of his dramatic greatness (not to say C and M is not without its hilarious moments though), and then The Purple Rose of Cairo to see just how drat creative the guy can be. That should give you a good sampling of his styles. If you like them, watch the rest in any order you'd like. I'm still making my way through them myself. He has quickly become one of my favorite filmmakers.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 18, 2011

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Pronounce it as a French person would, but don't lose your accent.. if that makes any sense. The same way you say stuff like 'déjà vu' correctly without necessarily putting on a comedy voice. They sure as hell don't try to sound Scottish when they ask directions round these parts.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Sorry for this enormous tangent. I just watched Manhattan a few nights ago and it was my first Woody Allen movie. I thought it was tremendous. Where should I go next? I'm assuming Annie Hall but I've heard there's two types of Woody Allen movies: the neurotic Jewish New Yorker films and the genre parodies. What's a good way to approach both of these?

I agree with what caiman has said. However, I would also strongly suggest to check out all of his early comedies. I found them all to be incredibly funny. And, even if the overall film wasn't great (see: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex), you'll still find things to enjoy about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I had always assumed the Reservoir Dogs were like junkyard dogs, mean, selfish, and damaged. They might run in a pack, but they will turn on each-other as soon as they get hungry. Like the characters in the movie. I guess that's just something I made up in my head though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Snak posted:

I had always assumed the Reservoir Dogs were like junkyard dogs, mean, selfish, and damaged. They might run in a pack, but they will turn on each-other as soon as they get hungry. Like the characters in the movie. I guess that's just something I made up in my head though.

Exactly. I don't think it is that absurd of a title, honestly.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Where do you live where pronouncing French words properly is considered "pretentious"? If you're accusing people of speaking French "to sound smart" then can I accuse you back of butchering French words so you can sound stupid? It doesn't make sense.

Have you ever watched Giada de Laurentiis on Food Network? I think people just don't want to be like her - "today we're going to be making some spa-GHEYT-ti and bru-SKET-ta!"

The time when it bugs me is when people aren't consistent in it, like how Alex Trebek will bend over backwards to pronounce Nicaragua "Niharrrrraaawa" and then not even try when it comes to Chinese or Swedish or something

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Plus (if you're American) don't you agree that French is up there on the pretentious language list.

Nah, I'm Canadian and I've spent time in Montreal, Paris, and Bruges so French doesn't sound pretentious to me at all.

You're right -- Annie Hall should be next. I'd recommend Crimes and Misdemeanors after that. For the genre films, pick the ones that relate to what you like. Love and Death is great, but even better if you're aware of that kind of film. Sleeper is better if you're good with sci-fi, etc.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Tenterhooks posted:

Pronounce it as a French person would, but don't lose your accent.

Exactly, if you try the accent you will sound like the policeman from 'Allo 'Allo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Has Bergman ever talked about his opinions on Carl Dreyer?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

Has Bergman ever talked about his opinions on Carl Dreyer?

He liked Passion of Joan of Arc

quote:

In connection to the 18th Göteborg Film Festival 1994, Bergman chose his eleven all time favourite films:

The Circus (Charles Chaplin, USA 1928)

Port of Shadows (Quai des brumes, Marcel Carné, France 1938)

The Conductor (Dyrygent, Andrzej Wajda, Poland 1979)

Raven's End (Kvarteret Korpen, Bo Widerberg, Sweden 1963)

The Passion of Joan of Arc (La passion de Jeanne d'Arc, Carl Th. Dreyer, France 1927)

The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen, Victor Sjöström, Sweden 1921)

Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, Japan 1951)

The Road (La Strada, Federico Fellini, Italy 1954)

Sunset Blvd. (Billy Wilder, USA 1950)

Two German Sisters (Die bleierne Zeit, Margarethe von Trotta, BRD 1981)

Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, Soviet Union 1969)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I love that he loves Sunset Blvd., for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who doesn't love Passion of Joan of Arc?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Criminal Minded posted:

I love that he loves Sunset Blvd., for some reason.

The reason is probably that it's really goddamn good

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I'm looking for a particular film and here are some random details. I watched it years ago. An old man (father of the main character I believe), has a stroke or otherwise loses some mental function, so they tie a chalkboard around his neck. At the end of the movie, some men threaten his son and this old man shoots two people with a double barrel shotgun he was hiding under his coat. Then, their Native American friend does some sort of mock scalp dance or ceremony over their bodies. It may have been about bootlegging, or may not have.

Any help would be appreciated!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

uncloudy day posted:

I'm looking for a particular film and here are some random details. I watched it years ago. An old man (father of the main character I believe), has a stroke or otherwise loses some mental function, so they tie a chalkboard around his neck. At the end of the movie, some men threaten his son and this old man shoots two people with a double barrel shotgun he was hiding under his coat. Then, their Native American friend does some sort of mock scalp dance or ceremony over their bodies. It may have been about bootlegging, or may not have.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also that's Legends of the Fall.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Does anybody know what the name of the song at the start of The Killing of A Chinese Bookie is?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It's a original composition apparently:
http://mubi.com/topics/8831

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
If a movie does poorly domestically but does well internationally (such as the Golden Compass, with its domestic gross of 70 million but a worldwide gross of 370 million), is it still considered a flop in Hollywood, at least in terms of PR/hype/optics? How do the studios handle a situation like that and how does it affect a director or the actors' careers?

I ask because I only ever hear about opening weekend sales or domestic sales and rarely hear about the worldwide gross, so I tend to think of movies like the Golden Compass or Prince of Persia as flops because of their domestic performance even if their international performance recouped the budget.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SpaceMost posted:

If a movie does poorly domestically but does well internationally (such as the Golden Compass, with its domestic gross of 70 million but a worldwide gross of 370 million), is it still considered a flop in Hollywood, at least in terms of PR/hype/optics? How do the studios handle a situation like that and how does it affect a director or the actors' careers?

I ask because I only ever hear about opening weekend sales or domestic sales and rarely hear about the worldwide gross, so I tend to think of movies like the Golden Compass or Prince of Persia as flops because of their domestic performance even if their international performance recouped the budget.

Something like that would not be considered an outright flop but would not be a massive success either; it also depends on the budget size. My guess is, that with those figures a sequel would have been possible but not that likely. To get to $370m the studio in question (New Line/WB) would have spent a LOT on P&A (distribution expenses), which, given the performance, might not have generated a profit.

An outright flop can kill a director's career more easily than an actor's - unless the actor was being pushed as the main reason to see the film.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
There was something dumb about the distribution of the golden compass, if I recall correctly. Didn't they sell the international rights cheaply, ending up with a loss or near loss?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

knees of putty posted:

There was something dumb about the distribution of the golden compass, if I recall correctly. Didn't they sell the international rights cheaply, ending up with a loss or near loss?

Yes, I think in many territories New Line sold of international rights territory by territory to distributors for smaller minimum guarantees, and retained US rights (basically, laid off risk on international in return for a guaranteed figure and took on the risk of the US release). When the film performed well internationally, local distributors captured most of the benefit, and New Line very little of it, but they took all the loss (or didn't make much profit) on the US.

I'd be surprised if those distribution agreements didn't include a right of some kind for those distributors to acquire international rights again, probably for a figure based on budget, meaning that New Line would bot be able to stop repeating the same mistake.

Don't hold your breath for a sequel.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
While I have several books and docs about film writing/directing/producing, I was curious about sound artists? The Jurassic Park thread reminded me of how much I love it when the sounds just click. Do they just get ignored for not being glamorous? I haven't seen much in a bit of searching beyond some basic sound engineering stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Synnr posted:

While I have several books and docs about film writing/directing/producing, I was curious about sound artists? The Jurassic Park thread reminded me of how much I love it when the sounds just click. Do they just get ignored for not being glamorous? I haven't seen much in a bit of searching beyond some basic sound engineering stuff.

It's not so much that they get ignored as that they have their own award shows that go un-televised (AFAIK). There are awards generated for almost every level of film production, Oscars even FFS, but most of the "boring" (technical) events are only attended by the people who are up for the awards.

Yes, certainly when it is done, it can be a small thing by a talented group that makes a movie, but it doesn't put asses in seats or drive up DVD sales if your movie won an award for best foley, like a superstar actor or director would. It's not that it isn't important, but your average paying movie-goer wouldn't notice the difference between a good artist and a fantastic one in this regard.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Synnr posted:

The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Film Editing delves into Murch's experiences as a sound designer and editor at various points in his career.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
"Good sound artists are seen and not heard."

Shut up, it makes sense.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WebDog posted:

The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Film Editing delves into Murch's experiences as a sound designer and editor at various points in his career.

This is an amazing book about film picture and sound editing, film in general, and the creative process. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

therattle posted:

This is an amazing book about film picture and sound editing, film in general, and the creative process. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Agreed. An absolutely amazing book.

Also, Tom Holman's books aren't the most well written things I've ever read, but are extremely informative. Sound for Film and Television was the bible for sound design when I was in film school, and wikipedia states it still is now.* You can almost certainly pick up used copies online.

*Strangely, we didn't use it in his class.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm becoming more and more interested in the art of filmmaking, and aside from that book, are there any others you would recommend? Specifically, some books about directing would be appreciated.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

csidle posted:

I'm becoming more and more interested in the art of filmmaking, and aside from that book, are there any others you would recommend? Specifically, some books about directing would be appreciated.

We talked about it about a month ago, starting here.

Edit: Also, I'll say it again. Hitchcock by Truffaut is always a great place to start, especially if you want to know about directing. It literally is an entire book about Hitchcock explaining what his job is a director and why he chose to do things in each of his films the way he did.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 23, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This is maybe more of a music question than a movie question, but in Back to the Future, exactly how unrealistic is the impromptu Johnny B. Goode performance? With the instructions Marty gives to the band, could they have actually pulled off something like that in real life?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

feedmyleg posted:

This is maybe more of a music question than a movie question, but in Back to the Future, exactly how unrealistic is the impromptu Johnny B. Goode performance? With the instructions Marty gives to the band, could they have actually pulled off something like that in real life?

That song is a very basic blues progression. IIRC correctly, Marty tells the band the chord progression and tells them to "watch me for the changes".

It would not have been so perfect as it was in the movie but any group of professional musicians could definitely jam to it after a couple of minutes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Alright guys, this is a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes and try and keep up, ok?

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

feedmyleg posted:

I think the more pertinent question is whether that guitar and amp were capable of the sounds they made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

the Bunt posted:

That song is a very basic blues progression. IIRC correctly, Marty tells the band the chord progression and tells them to "watch me for the changes".

It would not have been so perfect as it was in the movie but any group of professional musicians could definitely jam to it after a couple of minutes.

And to be fair they kind of "show this" by having the band all just standing around like "what the gently caress" by time he starts the solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

NGL posted:

I think the more pertinent question is whether that guitar and amp were capable of the sounds they made.

The guitar is a Gibson ES-345, which wasn't produced until 1958, and when Marty kicks over the amp you can definitely hear the spring reverb, which wasn't produced until 1961.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 27, 2011