Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

I didn't read the previous report but a couple people mentioned a "fiasco" with it. This one is pretty much up to date as of yesterday(typing it up as they're going along) and looks like they're funding everything themselves - Maybe Fishfund guy learned his lesson who knows.

And i've read the Angola report. The update when they are riding on the beach with high tide coming in and the bikes breaking down was pretty intense, was definitely on the edge of my keyboard

I read that Angola report sometime last year, its something fierce. Dude's got gigantic balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ReelBigLizard posted:

I still honestly don't see the advantage of these pumps, I bleed my brakes with less than a dollars worth of tubing. Using the pump already fitted to the bike (you know, the one you use to pump the brakes to stop).

I can't even see that it's a speed/convenience thing, as I assume you have to wash out the pump and maintain it, and it takes seconds to hook up a length of tubing and start pumping/cracking the bleed nut.

Can anyone explain the appeal? Is it more difficult when you have twin rotors? I only have a single on the front of my bike.
Are you talking about refilling a brake system from dry or flushing a system? Cause without a bleeder, those are pretty tedious jobs. And yeah, if the brake system is complicated, more than just a vertical pipe or two, it's almost necessary to have a bleeder. My old Guzzi with linked brakes is basically impossible to bleed without a pump of some kind. Good for car brakes too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hmm, clutch felt a little... off this morning.

:stare:

Literally one strand was still attached to the swage.

I decided to take the van home.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are you talking about refilling a brake system from dry or flushing a system? Cause without a bleeder, those are pretty tedious jobs.

Either, I really don't find it a hassle. I use about 2m of clear tube and loop it over the handlebars and down into a container. Just keep topping up an pumping for a minute or two until the fluid is nice and bright, then pull lever, crack bleeder, rinse, repeat until it's bled. When I did it a couple of months ago it took maybe 35 minutes to do both calipers, start to finish, and that was the first time I had ever done it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And yeah, if the brake system is complicated, more than just a vertical pipe or two, it's almost necessary to have a bleeder. My old Guzzi with linked brakes is basically impossible to bleed without a pump of some kind. Good for car brakes too.

I thought it might be, my KTM is dead-simple brakes wise.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
What's awesome about the brake bleeders is the vacuum pressure doesn't really drop even when the caliper valve is open, so for flushing the brakes you can open the valve and let the bleeder pull fluid out of the caliper while you pour new fluid in the reservoir on top. It can't be beat.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

sirbeefalot posted:

Yowch. Shouldnt these things happen only on long cosscountry trips?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

Same thing happened to me on the end of a two day trip from Milwaukee to Chicago and back on my RV90. Did the last 40 miles (of stop and go driving I might add) manually pulling up on the clutch cable with a pair of vice grips. You'd think a small bike like the RV would have a light clutch, but its really about 20lbs of pull at the cable, which is pretty tough to manage with vice grip while driving.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't know that you can really say this belongs here but this is where I'm going to put it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Vic7jRHvA

"Are ya drunk enough buddy?"
"AEEUGHAWHINHGAF!"

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 25, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy crap I completely lost it when he spit out his false teeth :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I just...I'm just not sure what is wrong with some people. I mean, it's cool and all from a technical standpoint, but why would you put a belt drive on a Ninja 250 of all bikes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because you're too lazy to lube a chain?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Because you're too lazy to lube a chain?

A belt seems like the best type of drive for a commuter bike

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

It's not like a 250 is going to snap it either.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
That's actually a better idea than something like, say, a Buell XB12Ss, which develops 80lb/ft of torque and 100hp.. I was on the highway, downshifted a gear and gassed it, and the belt slipped a notch (or a few). Scary, and I had my Triumph a few weeks after that.

On a 250 though, it'd almost make more sense than a chain.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's already been done.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They had it on the very first iteration of the Ninja, the '83 GPZ250, but it went to chain drive after that.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
As has already been said, belts have significant advantages over chains in certain applications, I cant think of a reason you wouldn't want one on a ninja. What I dont see in the picture is where the belt tensioner is.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Note, do not fall while riding and catch a branch with your face.

Impalement, NSFW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImuTpUYa-4

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

mutt2jeff posted:

Impalement, NSFW!!

loving OW dude. That looked really goddamned gnarly.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

God drat that makes me cringe watching it.
Dude takes it like a loving man though.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

mutt2jeff posted:

Impalement, NSFW!!

drat! A few inches lower and it could have been much worse.

Content:

Where my RD200 stands.
What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGdiN0jab8c

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DefaultPeanut posted:

Where my RD200 stands.
What do you think?

Sounds great!

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

DefaultPeanut posted:

Where my RD200 stands.
What do you think?

Was that your tires chirping on every downshift?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Bent footpegs make using the rear brake a little touchy. I didn't think it had the power with drum brakes to lock up the rear brake. I had the clutch completely in when slowing down.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Sounds pretty sweet, actually I believe it's easier to lock up a rear drum brake than a rear disc brake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

infraboy posted:

Sounds pretty sweet, actually I believe it's easier to lock up a rear drum brake than a rear disc brake.

Yep, drum brakes are self-applying to a degree, which works like a brake booster. Since bikes generally don't have boosters, disc brakes take a bit more effort on the lever to reach the same braking level as a similarly sized drum brake, but drum brakes are harder to modulate :eng101:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'm really tempted to try this in my mazda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQH5k4PD9gM

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've found the inspiration if I ever want to customize my bike:

EDIT: And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiLCEMnXPw

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 26, 2011

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

lancemantis posted:

This really is an ugly bike. It looks so strange.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Rip off all the fairings and that god awful exhaust and it wouldn't be bad.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It's kind of like the gussied up housewife of a Harley V-Rod. Wonder what their child would be?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's nice that someone's making a good muscle cruiser since the VMax bombed.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

If you rip all the poo poo off of it, it will kind of be like a modern, more ugly, S4R.

Either way, Ducati has an insanely large aftermarket part market, so I'm assuming someone can make a pretty Diavel eventually.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dude blows his engine at the track with flames.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=o07aes&s=7

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I didn't think the Diavel was HORRIBLE in person

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

lancemantis posted:

I like it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

schreibs posted:

I like it :colbert:

Me too. It reminds me of the vmax in a good way, without the bulging look toward the front.