Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Maybe they'll later make full length films of the watch novels as specials, similar to doctor who christmas specials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If Pete Postlethwaite had been younger and, y'know not dead, he would have been uncanny as Vimes.

But with him gone... I sadly don't know that many british actors, so I'm just going to say either Jason Staham or David Bateson. Both of them are capable of pulling of the "boiling anger just below the surface".

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Iacen posted:

If Pete Postlethwaite had been younger and, y'know not dead, he would have been uncanny as Vimes.

But with him gone... I sadly don't know that many british actors, so I'm just going to say either Jason Staham or David Bateson. Both of them are capable of pulling of the "boiling anger just below the surface".

Ahah! Now I really want to see a stereotypical Jason-Staham-action-film style Watch series. Trolls punching people dwarves through walls other dwarves, crossbow battles atop speeding carriages, and things alchemists/dragons exploding everywhere.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pretty sure they will cast Richard Armitage because British fantasy adaptations have a ginormous boner for him.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Tarezax posted:

One last note about ISWM: I'm sure it's been said before, but it seems that Eskarina Smith is now basically the Doctor.

Agreed, and

AXE COP posted:

Vinnie Jones could make a decent Vimesy.

agreed.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Vinnie Jones

He's too agressive and not quite depressing enough. He would make a fantastic Chrysoprase though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Kegslayer posted:

He's too agressive and not quite depressing enough. He would make a fantastic Chrysoprase though.

I think with some stubble and some convincing hangover makeup he could pull off Vimes well. Unfortunately outside of an all Night-Watch-era series you would then need to find a Carrot with an even larger physical presence, which may approach some sort of asymptotic TV muscleman silliness.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I think with some stubble and some convincing hangover makeup he could pull off Vimes well. Unfortunately outside of an all Night-Watch-era series you would then need to find a Carrot with an even larger physical presence, which may approach some sort of asymptotic TV muscleman silliness.

That's my problem with it as well, otherwise he'd be pretty great.

For some reason Vimesy has always been Bruce Willis in my mind. Older Bruce, all grizzled and world-weary.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mandragora posted:

For some reason Vimesy has always been Bruce Willis in my mind. Older Bruce, all grizzled and world-weary.

He's always a leaner Gene Hunt whenever I read him now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Flatscan posted:

He's always a leaner Gene Hunt whenever I read him now.

With his brother playing Sgt Colon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

I can't stop laughing at the idea of Vimesy Jones, but he really would make an amazing Chryoprase.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Penguingo posted:

I can't stop laughing at the idea of Vimesy Jones, but he really would make an amazing Chryoprase.

But then who would they get to play Constable Bluejohn? He's supposed to be even bigger than Chryoprase and Detritus.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're wondering about troll casting, look what they did with the golems in Going Postal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BRIAN BLESSED would make a perfect Archchancellor Ridcully.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

FreudianSlippers posted:

BRIAN BLESSED would make a perfect Archchancellor Ridcully.

BURSAR!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Flatscan posted:

BURSAR!

It would not surprise me in any way at all if Terry Pratchett actually modelled Ridcully on Brian Blessed in the first place :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now I want to hear Brian Blessed to cheerily announce IT IS UNHYGIENIC.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now I want to hear Brian Blessed to cheerily extol the virtues of wow wow sauce.

Fixed for me.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Flatscan posted:

BURSAR!

Excellent, but this really brought back to me why I hated the TV version of Hogfather so much. The characters were really bland, especially the wizards, who were just portrayed as a bunch of bumbling, skinny old men. And while THE WORLD'S LOUDEST ACTOR (tm) might have been able to inject some spirit into it, the whole thing felt like the makers completely lacked even a basic understanding of what makes Discworld funny and entertaining in the first place. (Hint: Characters, their interactions, situations, taking ideas their logical conclusion.)

This is why I'm hopeful for the adaptation of Good Omens, because I think Terry Jones probably understands how to set up a funny situation. I think he might even be a better choice for adapting the material than Terry Gilliam, because I feel that Gilliam's style often becomes the focus of his movies. In a documentary about the Pythons, Jones even hinted at that himself. So, if he still has the same touch as in Life of Brian, Good Omens might be great. Let's just hope they get the right actors.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I saw a production of Guards! Guards! with Paul Darrow as Vimes a few years back, and he did a pretty brilliant job of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paul.Power posted:

I saw a production of Guards! Guards! with Paul Darrow as Vimes a few years back, and he did a pretty brilliant job of it.

You must have caught the initial run when they were trying. The second run which I saw was barely above panto. Darrow was fun, but just hamming up the comedy something awful (:haw:).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Aww hell yes, Watch TV series. Great stuff, but I have some concerns about casting. Namely, I don't believe there to be any actor, living or dead, grubby enough to convincingly portray Nobby Nobbs.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Aww hell yes, Watch TV series. Great stuff, but I have some concerns about casting. Namely, I don't believe there to be any actor, living or dead, grubby enough to convincingly portray Nobby Nobbs.

Compo from Last of the Summer Wine (if he were still alive)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Or Tony Robinson when he was Baldrick in Going Fourth.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
I'd love Ray Stevenson as Vimes. I think he could pull it off.

And Stevenson is awesome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Took a break for a while but I'm back into Small Gods, and loving it. It's so clever and brilliant. After this should I continue reading some of the other standalones (like Pyramids, which I read before but >10 years ago) or jump into the Night Watch series?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Took a break for a while but I'm back into Small Gods, and loving it. It's so clever and brilliant. After this should I continue reading some of the other standalones (like Pyramids, which I read before but >10 years ago) or jump into the Night Watch series?
Well, you've just read his best book, and his next two best (Night Watch, Carpe Jugulum) are both late in their respective miniseries, so read all of the first books in each of the miniseries: Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Wee Free Men, Mort, and Color of Magic (Read Light Fantastic with it too, since Color's pretty weak, being his first Discworld book). You can also grab some of his other standalones, like Going Postal (It's not a miniseries opener because Making Money didn't happen :ssh:). Some of those early books aren't amongst his strongest, but decide which of the characters you like best and just go through the miniseries. They're all worth reading, as are most of his standalones. Also definitely, absolutely, do not miss reading Nation, which isn't Discworld but is one of his best books in years. If you can find a copy, check out The Last Hero. It's the final book in the Rincewind series, but is a large illustrated book rather than a regular paperback so it can be tough to find. The only books of his you can (and probably should) skip are Eric, Making Money, Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents, and Equal Rites (actually this last one isn't terrible, at least on par with Color of Magic, but really just a once-through, not worth re-reading like his other books). The Bromeliad trilogy isn't bad, but it's some of his earliest work and aimed at a really young audience (younger than the audience for the Tiffany Aching books, which I think easily stand up to the quality of his main series), and his pre-Discworld books (Strata, The Carpet People, Dark Side of the Sun) are pretty weak but worth reading if you're interested in seeing his earliest work.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Personally I'd love to see Robert Carlyle take a shot at the role of Vimes, he has the range and is fairly close to the physical build that I imagine when I read the books.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hedrigall posted:

Echoing this from FactsAreUseless: Small Gods is the best of the standalone Discworld books, and may be the best book Terry Pratchett ever wrote. But there are other ones that at least come close.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend that you read every single Discworld book in the order they were published, and if you're disappointed with some of the early stuff (you might be, somewhat; it's all at least pretty good but it's not all up to the standard that Small Gods sets), remember that Small Gods-quality books are coming up eventually, and you'll enjoy them all the more for the background and history in the early books on which they expand.

If, instead, you want to read one miniseries at a time, I'd read Guards! Guards! next, as you seem to have already been considering. But then you may miss out on subtle in-jokes and references that only make sense after having read the books you skipped.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks for the recs!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only books of his you can (and probably should) skip are (...) Equal Rites

I just read that one! I posted about it here a couple months ago. I'll resay what I've read in the Discworld series:

8-10 years ago or more
Guards! Guards!
Pyramids
Eric/Faust
Color of Magic
Science of Discworld 1 & 2
(my old local library was quite limited as to what it had)

This year
Equal Rites
Small Gods

I intended to begin with Small Gods because it's standalone and supposedly his best (I can see why people say that, it's utter brilliance) but my (new) local library only had Equal Rites and a bunch of the most recent Pratchett books. So I read Equal Rites first because the gender themes mentioned in the blurb interested me. Then I got Small Gods for my Kindle.

Now I plan to dip into a few of the miniseries so I will probably start with Guards! Guards! again as a refresher, then proceed with the City Watch books as well as more of the Witches books.

ModernPrometheus
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only books of his you can (and probably should) skip are Eric, Making Money, Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents, and Equal Rites

I'm curious to know what was so offensive about Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents as I rather liked that one. Maybe it's because it was the first of his children's novels that I read, and so I was quite surprised by how well he writes for a younger audience. I mean, it's not as good as the Tiffany Aching series, but I find those to be some of his best stuff.

Anyways, love the City Watch books more than any other book series so I'm pretty excited about that.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only books of his you can (and probably should) skip are Eric, Making Money, Maurice and His Amazing Educated Rodents, and Equal Rites (actually this last one isn't terrible, at least on par with Color of Magic, but really just a once-through, not worth re-reading like his other books).

Eric's one of my favourites, and I don't like most of the Rincewind books that much. YMMV. v:shobon:v

I'd definitely recommend the City Watch books if only for Night Watch. I think that would easily be the one I've read the most.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I intended to begin with Small Gods because it's standalone and supposedly his best (I can see why people say that, it's utter brilliance) but my (new) local library only had Equal Rites and a bunch of the most recent Pratchett books. So I read Equal Rites first because the gender themes mentioned in the blurb interested me. Then I got Small Gods for my Kindle.

Now I plan to dip into a few of the miniseries so I will probably start with Guards! Guards! again as a refresher, then proceed with the City Watch books as well as more of the Witches books.

As previously mentioned, Small Gods is fantastic. I wasn't a huge fan of pyramids to be honest, I felt let down by veering away from the assassin's guild very quickly.

I much prefer the books where it's a detailed part of the discworld universe rather than just borrowing references whole like the one about australia or hollywood.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Echoing this from FactsAreUseless: Small Gods is the best of the standalone Discworld books, and may be the best book Terry Pratchett ever wrote.

The ending of that book is maybe the best thing Pratchett has ever written:
Brutha dies and arrives at the ethereal desert. There he finds Vorbis who's petrified of walking across it. As Death said Vorbis found out that Hell is actually the lack of other persons. Now Vorbis made Brutha's life a living hell when he was alive, but Brutha takes his hand and they walk together across the desert:unsmith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Alhazred posted:

Brutha dies and arrives at the ethereal desert. There he finds Vorbis who's petrified of walking across it. As Death said Vorbis found out that Hell is actually the lack of other persons. Now Vorbis made Brutha's life a living hell when he was alive, but Brutha takes his hand and they walk together across the desert:unsmith:

That ending is why Small Gods is one of my personal favourites too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The end of Nation is pretty powerful too

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Alhazred posted:

"And what is at the end of the desert?"
JUDGEMENT.
Brutha considered this. "Which end?"

Sheer brilliance.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I read my first Discworld novel as an adult, The Colour of Magic, last weekend and completely hated it. I loved Discworld as a child (even though 90% of the jokes probably went over my head), and reading all of the books has been on my list of things to do for the past 15 years or so.

Most of the jokes in TCoM made me groan instead of laugh, The echo-gnomics pun and the whole bit with the aeroplane made me want to put the book back on the shelf. Ok, it's not awful, but the book did a fantastic job of making GBS threads all over my childhood memories.

I had to force myself to pick up The Light Fantastic, and thank gently caress I did. I breezed through it in a few hours and actually really enjoyed it.

I then made mistake number two: I found the reading order guide that splits the books into each sub-series. I started ploughing my way through the rest of Rincewind's arc. Sourcery wasn't very good, Eric was ok, and by the time I hit Interesting Times it seemed like the whole world was well fleshed out by this point, and that I'd missed out on a lot of it's development. Plus Rincewind is great, in small doses.

So I went back and read Equal Rites and Mort, and I loved both. The fact that Rincewind pops up in Mort briefly was a good indicator that the reading order guide is a waste of time if you actually intend to read all of the books.

So now I'm 9 days, 7 books, 2 movies, and one 6 hour long youtube play-through of the first video game into the Discworld universe. I feel like I've gone too far to go back, and it's going to be an interesting month or two. :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow, how do you read them so quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Wow, how do you read them so quickly?

You know how people that play WoW manage to log 50+ hours a week at the complete detriment to every other aspect of their lives? A bit like that.

I'm reminded of two bits of Mort, the part where he discovers Death's library and reads "with the speed and omnivorousness common to those who discover the magic of the written word for the first time", which is how I'm feeling about Discworld right now, and the part where he's shovelling horse poop and reduces it all down to fractions to make it fly by in no time. I'm reading the kindle editions and by the time I've hit 16% I've decided that that's half of 1/3rd of the book, and 1/3rd is only a tiny distance away from 1/2, and since I've already got so far I might as well stay up a little longer and read through to the end. :D

RobattoJesus fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 28, 2011