Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Megabuttes posted:

A SNES game. You were this dude and you had to enter this house, maybe it was spooky or something, I don't remember. I think you had to find the key in the yard somewhere to get in.
I never got in the house as a kid because at that time I couldn't read or speak English so I had no idea what was going on.

Addams Family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Megabuttes posted:

A SNES game. You were this dude and you had to enter this house, maybe it was spooky or something, I don't remember. I think you had to find the key in the yard somewhere to get in.
I never got in the house as a kid because at that time I couldn't read or speak English so I had no idea what was going on.

This sounds like Maniac Mansion on the NES, assuming you're misremembering the SNES part. But it could very well be something else.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thanks, that's definately it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Nautatrol Rx posted:

Entirely unrelated P.S.: Has anyone done a The Magic Candle (original) Let's Play? I wonder how well that would go over if anyone were brave enough to do one.
And then I set Frux and Blod up as apprentices at the Jeweler's. We will go ahead and wait six days in-game for them to make a few silver pieces so we can afford to buy a single spool of rope.

(I would be totally fascinated by that, actually; I tried to get into it about a half-dozen times to no avail, and my copy eventually became corrupted and crashed after the title screen, making me decide I had missed my chance)

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I've got two games maybe you guys can help me remember.

I played the first game on the Commodore 64 (actually the 128, but most of the games I had were for the 64... I only say 128 because it MIGHT be for that system.) It was an overhead view, and I think it was real-time, though it may have been turn based. You had one guy, and you were hired to defend a town from monsters who kept coming up from the dungeons beneath the city. You couldn't leave the town, because you were sworn to end the monsters or some such.

You might have been able to choose a class, I'm pretty sure. (I played a LOT of RPGs on the Commodore so it might have bled together with another game, though.) Every night, the monsters would come up from below, and start tearing up the town. If you didn't stop them, what they tore up would not be usable the next day. So if they destroyed the weapon shop, you couldn't buy any weapons that day at least. There may have been weapon wear.

You could take the fight down to the dungeons at night (if you had a key?) but I had a pirated copy so it glitched every time I tried to go down there so I can't tell you how that went down there.

The other game was from the Windows 3.1/95 486 days. It was science fiction-y, came with a meat backstory in the manual, about some jungle/jovian planet, and you had a map where you could select a destination, only I never found any place interesting. It had some kind of side-scrolling element to it, and you had fireballs or something, kind of like in Faxanadu for NES. Since I could never figure out what to do I found a cheat which let me have all the powered up psy-powers or whatever you got and just sort of messed around. Oddly I never found a walkthrough despite the fact I found cheats.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! These games have been driving me crazy for a while.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jenova Project posted:

I've got two games maybe you guys can help me remember.

I played the first game on the Commodore 64 (actually the 128, but most of the games I had were for the 64... I only say 128 because it MIGHT be for that system.) It was an overhead view, and I think it was real-time, though it may have been turn based. You had one guy, and you were hired to defend a town from monsters who kept coming up from the dungeons beneath the city. You couldn't leave the town, because you were sworn to end the monsters or some such.

You might have been able to choose a class, I'm pretty sure. (I played a LOT of RPGs on the Commodore so it might have bled together with another game, though.) Every night, the monsters would come up from below, and start tearing up the town. If you didn't stop them, what they tore up would not be usable the next day. So if they destroyed the weapon shop, you couldn't buy any weapons that day at least. There may have been weapon wear.

You could take the fight down to the dungeons at night (if you had a key?) but I had a pirated copy so it glitched every time I tried to go down there so I can't tell you how that went down there.

The other game was from the Windows 3.1/95 486 days. It was science fiction-y, came with a meat backstory in the manual, about some jungle/jovian planet, and you had a map where you could select a destination, only I never found any place interesting. It had some kind of side-scrolling element to it, and you had fireballs or something, kind of like in Faxanadu for NES. Since I could never figure out what to do I found a cheat which let me have all the powered up psy-powers or whatever you got and just sort of messed around. Oddly I never found a walkthrough despite the fact I found cheats.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide! These games have been driving me crazy for a while.

The first one sounds an awful lot like The Horde... except that is a bit too new.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Jenova Project posted:

Most likely Alien Logic: Skyrealms of Jorune.

Jenova Project
Aug 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
/\/\/\ That's it! Thank you!

Hal Incandenza posted:

The first one sounds an awful lot like The Horde... except that is a bit too new.

I gave up and searched every single C64 RPG at GameFAQs and found it. It's Keys to Maramon, which is in the same universe as Magic Candle. The screenshots at an abandonware site proved it to me. Thank you though!

Jenova Project fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 23, 2011

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Discount Viscount posted:

This sounds like Maniac Mansion on the NES, assuming you're misremembering the SNES part. But it could very well be something else.

Could also be Uninvited, or perhaps even Shadowgate. Lack of English skills would be a real issue with those too. Hypothetically even Deja Vu, although that doesn't start with a scene trying to get into a house using a key outside, there is that one bungalow bit.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
There was this game I used to play a LOOONG time ago. It was on an open-ended grid where you battled against another player or a computer to capture territory. Once you had three connected pieces of territory that divided the two sides, you win.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Discount Viscount posted:

Alright, here are a couple of old arcade games I probably played around 1989 or so when I was 4 or 5. I can only remember the vaguest of details. The first was some sidescrolling run and gun with a Rambo-esque hero (yeah, that narrows it down.) The biggest details I can remember are the first stage took place at night, your shots had a red tail/trail on them with a white tip, and at some point in the first level you could climb into a stationary turret and gun guys down. I think there may have also been a driveable jeep-type vehicle.

This wouldn't be Gunforce, would it? The first level's at night, and there are parts where you can get in both stationary turrets and jeeps with mounted guns.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Catellite posted:

This wouldn't be Gunforce, would it? The first level's at night, and there are parts where you can get in both stationary turrets and jeeps with mounted guns.

Nah, that doesn't look to be it, not a bad try though. It looks more similar to Midnight Resistance than to Probotector. But thanks for showing me another Irem game I'd like to play!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Not really a game but I figured this would be the best place to ask short of starting my own thread.

When I was a kid, probably in the early to mid 90s, I used to read this PC magazine specifically targeted at kids. It featured some anthropomorphic alligator and had demo CDs, one of which I seem to remember featuring the game Normality. It had cartoon strips in it featuring the aforementioned croc and his mate and had various articles on how to do basic PC stuff and game reviews and poo poo like that.

It's been bugging me for the longest time that I can't remember the name of the magazine.

Jim Bergerac
Jul 18, 2010
I'm trying to remember the name of a scrolling beat em up game, probably released between 1990-1994.

It came out after Double Dragon, maybe around the same time as Final Fight but the graphics were nowhere as good. It was a 4 player game which ran on the same cabinet that the arcade used for TMNT, and all I can remember is that one level (probably the first) involved you fighting in a subway. One of the enemies was a huge punk with a mohican, maybe even the boss.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Jim Bergerac posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a scrolling beat em up game, probably released between 1990-1994.

It came out after Double Dragon, maybe around the same time as Final Fight but the graphics were nowhere as good. It was a 4 player game which ran on the same cabinet that the arcade used for TMNT, and all I can remember is that one level (probably the first) involved you fighting in a subway. One of the enemies was a huge punk with a mohican, maybe even the boss.

Is it one of the games in Konami's Crime Fighters series?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Trying to remember another game I played on my Macintosh back in the 90s. It was a sort of point and click noir adventure, where you're trying to investigate someone's drug-related death (I think). Anyway, you can hold the drugs in your inventory screen, and apply them to your own body (think like a nicorette patch). Then on your screen you see your avatar overdose and die. Took place in the future, I believe.

Jim Bergerac
Jul 18, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Is it one of the games in Konami's Crime Fighters series?

That's the one, thanks! Reading through that page, it looks terrible, but I might fire up an emulator and play Violent Storm - I've never heard of it but it looks pretty good.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

kaujot posted:

Trying to remember another game I played on my Macintosh back in the 90s. It was a sort of point and click noir adventure, where you're trying to investigate someone's drug-related death (I think). Anyway, you can hold the drugs in your inventory screen, and apply them to your own body (think like a nicorette patch). Then on your screen you see your avatar overdose and die. Took place in the future, I believe.

One of the Deja Vu games?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

kaujot posted:

Do any of the screenshots here jog your memory, because it really reminds me of Rise of the Dragon.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
I've been trying to remember the name of a PC game I played as a kid, probably sometimes between 1996 and 2000, but I'm not certain how old the game was when I played it. I'm pretty certain it was a DOS game since it came on a disk with a bunch of free demos and there was some Commander Keen demos on it too. It was a side-scrolling platformer where you played as a kid and had to save animals that had been kidnapped or some such thing, but it was either set during Halloween or just took place in spooky areas. I remember having to collect candy for extra points so I'm fairly certain it was Halloween themed.

Not a great description but its all I can remember, I've been trying to remember what this game is for years, sound familiar to anyone?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Ovo posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of a PC game I played as a kid, probably sometimes between 1996 and 2000, but I'm not certain how old the game was when I played it. I'm pretty certain it was a DOS game since it came on a disk with a bunch of free demos and there was some Commander Keen demos on it too. It was a side-scrolling platformer where you played as a kid and had to save animals that had been kidnapped or some such thing, but it was either set during Halloween or just took place in spooky areas. I remember having to collect candy for extra points so I'm fairly certain it was Halloween themed.

Not a great description but its all I can remember, I've been trying to remember what this game is for years, sound familiar to anyone?

Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ovo posted:

That sounds totally like Apogee's Monster Bash.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

scamtank posted:

That sounds totally like Apogee's Monster Bash.

Yes thats it! I've been looking for this for ages, thanks a lot!

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez
Hey there guys. So I was playing Crime Fighters 2/Vendetta, and I picked up a shotgun (see the pic below). The pose/grin of the main character holding it instantly reminded me of another game's protagonist doing the same.

It's not Metal Slug, pretty sure it's a PC game. For some reason, I wanna say it was included with something like Klik N' Play or The Games Factory, something along those lines.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

alejandro posted:

Hey there guys. So I was playing Crime Fighters 2/Vendetta, and I picked up a shotgun (see the pic below). The pose/grin of the main character holding it instantly reminded me of another game's protagonist doing the same.

Blackthorne, maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

alejandro posted:

It's not Metal Slug, pretty sure it's a PC game. For some reason, I wanna say it was included with something like Klik N' Play or The Games Factory, something along those lines.

It might be Klik N' Play's demo game. I don't have a screen or link but you were this super-deformed soldier with a shotgun who hopped around in a Rayman-esque colorful forest killing dudes and dodging pools of acid or something. I'll see if I can find it because now I'm curious.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I used to play a game on windows 95 (but it may have been a DOS game I believe), which I think was called simply "bugs". Does anyone know of this game and possibly any links relating to it? Googling "bugs game win 95" obviously brings up a billion unrelated hits.

The game was sort of a platformer, but I can't even remember if it was 2d or 3d any more. And it was about bugs (insects).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Flyndre posted:

I used to play a game on windows 95 (but it may have been a DOS game I believe), which I think was called simply "bugs". Does anyone know of this game and possibly any links relating to it? Googling "bugs game win 95" obviously brings up a billion unrelated hits.

The game was sort of a platformer, but I can't even remember if it was 2d or 3d any more. And it was about bugs (insects).

Well, there is "Bug" for the Saturn, which I believe also had a Win 95 version.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Kammat posted:

Do any of the screenshots here jog your memory, because it really reminds me of Rise of the Dragon.

"Rise of the Dragon" is it! You guys are the best. :3:

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, there is "Bug" for the Saturn, which I believe also had a Win 95 version.

Oh yes that's it. Found it when including Saturn in my search. Thanks.

Diquebutt
Feb 17, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Two games.

1. SNES or Genesis(can't remember) side scrolling beat em up. All I remember from the cover art is that it had two dudes on it. The actual game featured bosses like a fat lumberjack looking guy with a big rear end 2x4 and a Native American dude at the end of a level centered around fighting goons on rollerskates.

2.Some math based educational game on pc that centered around monkeys.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Diquebutt posted:

1. SNES or Genesis(can't remember) side scrolling beat em up. All I remember from the cover art is that it had two dudes on it. The actual game featured bosses like a fat lumberjack looking guy with a big rear end 2x4 and a Native American dude at the end of a level centered around fighting goons on rollerskates.

Combatribes

Diquebutt
Feb 17, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Hakkesshu posted:

Combatribes

YOU ARE A GOD

just found another repressed vidya memory on my own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXluEYU2Snk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faIMk6y8Kwc&feature=related

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dunno if I've mentioned this one before, might have but I can't recall if I ever got an answer.

Shareware game, platformer. You may or may not have been a dinosaur in a trenchcoat. Urban setting. What I distinctly remember of it is you ended up falling into the maw of some great beast and then the shareware portion ended on a cliffhanger. Or I'm mixing two different games since I played a LOT of platformers back then. It was kind of what shareware did.

Diquebutt
Feb 17, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I'm gonna go ahead and post two others:

one was a jurassic park videogame for PC where it was managed kind've like an RTS, but not quite. no specifics besides that.

The other was an N64 FPS that was focused around killing these...bug enemies.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Diquebutt posted:

one was a jurassic park videogame for PC where it was managed kind've like an RTS, but not quite. no specifics besides that.

I played the hell out of Jurassic Park: Chaos Island. It was kind of an RTS. Sort of.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Diquebutt posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and post two others:

The other was an N64 FPS that was focused around killing these...bug enemies.
The first one is probably Jurassic Park: Chaos Island

EDIT: The second could be one of the Turok games? Body Harvest wasn't first person but bugs were the main enemy

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 26, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Dunno if I've mentioned this one before, might have but I can't recall if I ever got an answer.

Shareware game, platformer. You may or may not have been a dinosaur in a trenchcoat. Urban setting. What I distinctly remember of it is you ended up falling into the maw of some great beast and then the shareware portion ended on a cliffhanger. Or I'm mixing two different games since I played a LOT of platformers back then. It was kind of what shareware did.
Dinosaurs for Hire for the Genesis has you playing as a dinosaur with guns, it opens with you fighting a giant beast who after about 30 seconds knocks you off a dam, and then the first level is in a city

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Dinosaurs for Hire for the Genesis has you playing as a dinosaur with guns, it opens with you fighting a giant beast who after about 30 seconds knocks you off a dam, and then the first level is in a city

While that is incredibly cool, that is not the game I was looking for. This is a PC title only.

But thanks for this tip because this looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

Bieeardo posted:

Blackthorne, maybe?

Nope but I haven't played this and it looks pretty rad.

al-azad posted:

It might be Klik N' Play's demo game. I don't have a screen or link but you were this super-deformed soldier with a shotgun who hopped around in a Rayman-esque colorful forest killing dudes and dodging pools of acid or something. I'll see if I can find it because now I'm curious.

Yeah, this definitely sounds like what I was thinking of - and even if it wasn't, it's a game I've played and forgotten the name of. I'm not sure how I encountered it though, I don't think I've ever had a copy of Klik N' Play.