Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Put fresh seed and one of those log seed things out yesterday. Got my D80 with 50-500mm sigma all ready to go on the tripod. Few birds start munching away, black birds or crows. Then a mating pair of Cardinals shows up, an then a male Bluejay. Then my rear end in a top hat neighbor decides he jut HAS to do work on his lawnmower. Birds disappeared. Only really good shot I was able to get.

I cropped out some ugly lines to the side where the table rounded back to the bottom of the picture. I love spring :D

edit: It was around 230ish in the afternoon, and I was obviously by the shadow, looking almost right in the direction of the sun.

DSC_0771 by Lando123, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's a couple of shots of what I'm calling a Polish Crow, because aside from the gray feathers it acted and sounded like a crow.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Looks like a hooded crow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm an idiot for wanting so much to get a good shot of a raven, aren't I? I mean, look at it:
  • Black bird, making proper exposure very difficult
  • Light / white backgrounds, including overcast skies and snow, further complicating exposure metering
  • High intelligence (the birds, not me) - they know that some people shoot ravens / crows / other corvids as "pests", and take off as soon as they see me stop moving
  • :tinfoil: They know about cameras and just hate me :argh:

All of that is just set-up excuses for my best-so-far attempt at a picture of a raven. Total snapshot, I happened to have my 70-210mm mounted when this guy flew by.

SD 049 Raven Snapshot by Execudork, on Flickr

More ranting: I pass ravens right at the edge of the road all the drat time, they don't care in the slightest as long as I'm whipping by at 100 km/h. As soon as I hit the brakes, though, they're airborne.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

I'm an idiot for wanting so much to get a good shot of a raven, aren't I? I mean, look at it:
  • Black bird, making proper exposure very difficult
  • Light / white backgrounds, including overcast skies and snow, further complicating exposure metering
  • High intelligence (the birds, not me) - they know that some people shoot ravens / crows / other corvids as "pests", and take off as soon as they see me stop moving
  • :tinfoil: They know about cameras and just hate me :argh:

All of that is just set-up excuses for my best-so-far attempt at a picture of a raven. Total snapshot, I happened to have my 70-210mm mounted when this guy flew by.

SD 049 Raven Snapshot by Execudork, on Flickr

More ranting: I pass ravens right at the edge of the road all the drat time, they don't care in the slightest as long as I'm whipping by at 100 km/h. As soon as I hit the brakes, though, they're airborne.

That's pretty tough. You're almost better trying just for the silhouette in those conditions- if you can get one flying overhead (or in a turn where you can see both wings), it can look pretty good. Or go somewhere the ravens are a little more tame. I was in Yellowstone last year and there were ravens taking food out of people's hands and caching it under buffalo poo.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

This peacock was just wondering around the park like it aint no thang. Really liked the look of my pastry.

peacock by DV, on Flickr

manpants
Mar 12, 2009
Some that I took a while ago and quite like (weird compression due to me dragging them from my Facebook page).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just got my 60D and 70-300L last week. Love the camera and the lens so far but I haven't had much chance to use them yet. Yes, something longer would be nice, but I was pretty impressed with how well this lens did in relatively low light, and how I could crop images like this one and not have it look so horrible.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I heard these guys doing their mating thing all spring last year but only was able to find one and that was nearly impossible to spot. I wish I had the opportunity to have them out in the open like you've captured. 70-300 sounds like a nice lens, congrats.

I went out today and stupidly forgot my tripod. A whole flock of waxwings came in to strip the last berries off the trees and my arms are now dead from holding my 600mm. This is one of the last shots I got, and my hands were very shaky at this point.

Waxwing by InternetJunky.ca, on Flickr

One more from yesterday:

Black-capped Chickadee by InternetJunky.ca, on Flickr

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 19, 2011

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Hello bird thread. After being dumb for too long, I'm getting back into shooting. Here's the only decent bird shot I've had in a while, a Tristam's Grackle from Israel this summer.

Tristam's Grackle by jadeilyn, on Flickr

torgeaux posted:

What do you do about weeds, dammit?

through the weeds by torgeaux, on Flickr

Also, torgeaux, I like the weeds in the shot, it makes it look like you were able to sneak up on the pelican.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More raven photos! Not super sharp but kind of a cool perspective.

InternetJunky- if you are in grouse territory again in the spring, look up the local wildlife office (Department of Game and Fish/Fish and Game/Natural Resources), and they may be able to direct you to a "public" lek to see the birds. The grouse are pretty tolerant of blinds (and sometimes vehicles as long as you are quiet and don't get out of the car). It's a pretty awesome to spend a morning on a lek if you get the chance.

Oh, and that's pretty amazing to catch the waxwing tossing back a berry!

^^^^^
That's a cool looking grackle too.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

More raven photos! Not super sharp but kind of a cool perspective.

It's a shame that it isn't more sharp, as it's a great perspective.

quote:

InternetJunky- if you are in grouse territory again in the spring, look up the local wildlife office (Department of Game and Fish/Fish and Game/Natural Resources), and they may be able to direct you to a "public" lek to see the birds. The grouse are pretty tolerant of blinds (and sometimes vehicles as long as you are quiet and don't get out of the car). It's a pretty awesome to spend a morning on a lek if you get the chance.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be trying out photography from a blind this year for the first time and grouse would probably be a good first target. I'll ask the local park rangers if they know where the best spots would be to capture this.

Few more pictures as things start to warm up finally around here:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Awesome photos.

Everything looks good except... wait- is something wrong with your tail?

Yes, yes there is...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 25, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How do you guys identify birds? Is there a program somewhere or is it just a matter of reading a lot about birds?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

tuyop posted:

How do you guys identify birds? Is there a program somewhere or is it just a matter of reading a lot about birds?

This is a really handy site for that: http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

Not all inclusive however and there are still some that stumped it so if you've got one really giving you trouble just posting a photo of it here or at one of the larger birder forums will net you a response from someone who has likely read a lot about birds. :)

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Yesterday i went for a walk in the wood and i found these little fellow!

Hairy woodpecker

I do not know what kind of birdie this is. Hope one of you will tell me!

White-breasted nuthatch

These are my first bird pictures.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 28, 2011

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Niagalack posted:

I do not know what kind of birdie this is. Hope one of you will tell me!
White-breasted nuthatch.

Niagalack posted:

These are my first bird pictures.
Congrats! Hope you hate money though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I grew up learning birds, but it really is about practice- looking through a field guide of some sort, then getting out there and either shooting lots of pics or looking through binoculars. Hopefully hooking up with someone who knows the local birds who can help you ID things.

Still trying to get a good flying grouse shot. This one at least has a nice spread of the tail and wing feathers.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Trying out a new image host so figured I'd post a picture I just processed that I took last year:

One more...think I might have posted this last year but I re-edited it and am pretty happy with it now:

Edit: Wow, that last one looks like crap. So much for this new host.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 29, 2011

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

PREYING MANTITS posted:

This is a really handy site for that: http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

Not all inclusive however and there are still some that stumped it so if you've got one really giving you trouble just posting a photo of it here or at one of the larger birder forums will net you a response from someone who has likely read a lot about birds. :)

I've also found the RSPB identifier pretty useful: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/, Olde Worldy birds

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I grew up learning birds, but it really is about practice- looking through a field guide of some sort, then getting out there and either shooting lots of pics or looking through binoculars. Hopefully hooking up with someone who knows the local birds who can help you ID things.

Still trying to get a good flying grouse shot. This one at least has a nice spread of the tail and wing feathers.

Great job on the action but I think it's a little bit underexposed.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Great job on the action but I think it's a little bit underexposed.

Thanks- yeah- I'm still getting the hang of adjusting things on my new camera and learning what my light meter is telling me. The morning light has been great some times and horribly grey other times.

A couple more (these are very photogenic birds).

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
crosspost from SAD. These were taken at the Oregon Coast Aquarium!

Bird in water by Jenseales, on Flickr

Confinement by Jenseales, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Magpie Interrupted by Execudork, on Flickr

The magpies are marginally less skittish than the ravens. I caught this one grooming after a bath, he (she?) didn't seem to want to fly too far away with wet feathers.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

Confinement by Jenseales, on Flickr

Just gorgeous, and you nailed the focus too.

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

out of focus :qq:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

tuyop posted:

Really late on this one, but, while the websites are helpful, I find there's no substitute for a decent bird book. You can navigate them a lot faster than a website. Assuming you're in north America you can usually find one at a used bookstore or garage sale very cheap. I have this one which you can buy used at Amazon for less than $5 shipped. For a little more money you can get a slightly newer and probably better book like the Nat. Geographic one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is great advice- the older books are fine- a few species get split/lumped by the ornithologists by the time each new edition gets published, but you'll just be retro cool if you call something by the old name. If you feel like spending a little more to get a newer guide check out the Sibley guides.

A few more sage-grouse:

More critter-questy than a fantastic photo, but a rough-legged hawk tried to take on a grouse, then thought better of it at the last minute. But they look like best friends in this picture!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Sibley and Audubon both released e-guides for the iphone/ipad/android/blackberry phones recently too, if you've got one of those. I just picked up the Android version of the Audubon guide, it's currently on sale for $9.99 whereas the Sibley one is $29.99. Handles itself a lot like the websites, but it hasn't failed to ID a bird I've thrown at it yet.

A few more sage-grouse:

This is definitely a favorite. Excellent lighting and composition. Great photo!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Sibley and Audubon both released e-guides for the iphone/ipad/android/blackberry phones recently too, if you've got one of those. I just picked up the Android version of the Audubon guide, it's currently on sale for $9.99 whereas the Sibley one is $29.99. Handles itself a lot like the websites, but it hasn't failed to ID a bird I've thrown at it yet.

This is definitely a favorite. Excellent lighting and composition. Great photo!

Thanks!

I have iBird(pro) on my iPhone. It's a nice resource, but I imagine it would be pretty hard to use if you were really just starting out. Haven't tried out the Sibley or Audubon apps yet.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Definitely not something you see in your backyard.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Lesser Yellowlegs sandpiper

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Dread Head posted:

Lesser Yellowlegs sandpiper

When i read Victoria in the definition of the picture, I knew it was from dread head!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^Wow- the second one in particular is just breathtaking. Really fantastic.

Also love that pigeon. Is that a crazy breed of domestic rock pigeon or is that some other species?

I just had a look at a crazy new bird guide to Eastern US birds- it's called the Crossley ID Guide. It is a photographic guide, with one image per species, but each "photo" is really many, many separate photos of the bird photoshopped together into the same scene (foreground, background, everywhere). Basically an OCD photoshop collage. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as your only guide, but it is kind of interesting and different.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

^^^^^Wow- the second one in particular is just breathtaking. Really fantastic.

Also love that pigeon. Is that a crazy breed of domestic rock pigeon or is that some other species?

I just had a look at a crazy new bird guide to Eastern US birds- it's called the Crossley ID Guide. It is a photographic guide, with one image per species, but each "photo" is really many, many separate photos of the bird photoshopped together into the same scene (foreground, background, everywhere). Basically an OCD photoshop collage. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as your only guide, but it is kind of interesting and different.

A friend met a guy (maybe the same one) who was making a book just like that and I saw some of the "plates" and the photoshop work was not very good. It is an interesting idea I am just not sure how practical it is. I still think illustrated guides would be better as there is nothing effecting the birds (lighting,angle,focus) etc. I am really curious to see how it all pans out just not sure it is a guide for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it might be good if you got a look (or photo) that didn't exactly match a field guide. Also, some of the tiny photos probably would be the most helpful (e.g. telling apart very distant birds like loons or ducks, etc). I suppose having the ecological setting featured as much as it is could be useful in some cases, although it would probably lead you astray at other times.

However, this book is big enough there's no way you'd want to bring it as a field guide, so you'd have to remember what you saw, or have gotten a photo of some sort.

I totally agree with you that the illustrated guides are the way to go.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

The birds were a bit sluggish this morning. I can't imagine why. I was able to get a little close than normal as a result.

Winter Storm Gabe 25 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Winter Storm Gabe 23 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Winter Storm Gabe 12 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
The birds in some idillic town in Holland are almost domesticated. You can literally walk up to them and feed them from your hand. I didn't have any bread though :(

e: Point being I didn't need to use any zoom for this pic.

bird by J Dawson, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hawks are as much jerks as are corvids. So I didn't get any good pictures of the big acipiter (Red-tailed hawk, I think) hanging in the updraft on the top of the downstream slope of Gardner Dam. However, the Western Meadowlarks were busy establishing their territories, and surging testosterone made them foolishly brave; this one was willing to sit still and scream defiance while I mishandled my telephoto lens.

SD 057 Western Meadowlark (1 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 057 Western Meadowlark (2 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 057 Western Meadowlark (3 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 057 Western Meadowlark (4 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was going to post something almost identical (except not as good- the bird was pretty far).

Instead, some sex and violence.

Hmm, what's this?

HEY!

SHE'S MINE!

POW!