Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I could have sworn there used to be a dedicated thread for insect identification, but I couldn't find it.

I've been finding these little bugs in my apartment recently. They are always on the walls, generally just sitting still. You can't tell the scale from the picture, but they are pretty small, under 1/8 of an inch. There haven't been that many of them, but they kind of gross me out. I should also note that I live in Korea. Can anybody tell me what it is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I had a HS music flashback last night and I can't remember the group or song or anything but this:

It was a hip-hop video from around 1990 with people riding skateboards in a pool. Somebody help me!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

greazeball posted:

I had a HS music flashback last night and I can't remember the group or song or anything but this:

It was a hip-hop video from around 1990 with people riding skateboards in a pool. Somebody help me!

Suicidal Tendencies - Possessed To Skate?

Edit: could also be Urban Dance Squad - Deeper Shade of Soul

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 27, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

marshmallard posted:

Edit: could also be Urban Dance Squad - Deeper Shade of Soul

loving hell, that's the one! Cheers!

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Not so much a question but an outcry of desparation: I've been living with a friend and she has a cat (and then got got a second one...). How do cat owners cope with the fact that their life is an endless losing battle against The Hairs?? Is there a good way to avoid your bed/blankets becoming hair-infested beyond a bedroom ban for the cats?

erobadapazzi posted:

I could have sworn there used to be a dedicated thread for insect identification, but I couldn't find it.

I've been finding these little bugs in my apartment recently. They are always on the walls, generally just sitting still. You can't tell the scale from the picture, but they are pretty small, under 1/8 of an inch. There haven't been that many of them, but they kind of gross me out. I should also note that I live in Korea. Can anybody tell me what it is?

I'm not an expert but tried googling it, could it be something from the Coccinellinae subfamily? Are the white spots always this irregular or are there also some with normal round spots? At first I thought it could be a cream spotted ladybird but apparently they don't have "spot fusions" and are found in "north Europe, North America and Siberia". I didn't look further though, because ew bugs. =(

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a couple of stupid questions.

1. Has the comic page in a newspaper ever been funny? Why does it still exist?

2. Could somebody give me a rough list of when different groups became "white" in mainstream America. For example who was considered "white" first Catholics or the Irish?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
A lot of Irish are Catholics?

I think the most common whites are WASPs (white anglo-saxon protestants). I would consider anyone white who appears to be white, but that's just skin colour. You can specify by saying German or American or English, etc... I'm not really sure what your question is getting at. Do you mean white equals typical American?

I think newspaper comics will die off with the people who grew up with that (old people now).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Newspaper comics will die off with newspapers it seems. Sadly, that's one of their current major selling points.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

One problem with newspaper comics is that the readership seems to be made up largely of very vocal old people who will scream blue murder if the ancient uninteresting crap like Family Circus or Marmaduke gets booted in favour of something fresher. If you haven't been following them already, you would probably enjoy the hell out of the comic strip megathreads in the BSS subforum.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Human Tornada posted:

I think you're gonna like this site: http://joshreads.com/?p=9707

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

erobadapazzi posted:

There's the Critterquest thread in GBS, which has a bunch of entomologists hanging around.

In fact, this post looks a lot like yours, which is identified in the next post as a carpet beetle.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Human Tornada posted:

2. Could somebody give me a rough list of when different groups became "white" in mainstream America. For example who was considered "white" first Catholics or the Irish?

This is a little confused. If you're talking about USA, the majority of Irish immigrants were Catholic. The discrimination towards them was based in a large part on the Anti-Catholic feeling prevalent in the 19th century (see for example the Know-Nothings). If you're asking which group of immigrants came to be accepted first, then I think (but can't provide any evidence) that Irish and German immigrants were accepted before immigrants from the Mediterranean region - the Immigration Act of 1924 set tiny quotas for people from southern and eastern, but not northern, Europe.

It's important to note than the discrimination against different groups was closely tied to the amount of immigrants from each region at the time, and when they first started arriving. For example, Irish immigrants starting coming in large numbers in the 19th century, when they received most of their discrimination, but Italian immigration began mostly in the early 20th century, which preceded the Immigration Act. Irish people continued to immigrate during this time, but evidently were considered "white" enough to stop being discriminated against (at least to the degree they were discriminated against 50 years previously).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Dudebro posted:

I think the most common whites are WASPs (white anglo-saxon protestants). I would consider anyone white who appears to be white, but that's just skin colour. You can specify by saying German or American or English, etc... I'm not really sure what your question is getting at. Do you mean white equals typical American?

Obviously most people today see a person with white skin and think "white person".

Go back in time to the 20s and talk to a WASP and he will tell you that Italians aren't white, they're Italian, or Jewish people aren't white, they're Jewish.

I'm curious about the order of when different groups were accepted into the fold of "white people" for most Americans.

dokmo posted:

For example, Irish immigrants starting coming in large numbers in the 19th century, when they received most of their discrimination, but Italian immigration began mostly in the early 20th century, which preceded the Immigration Act. Irish people continued to immigrate during this time, but evidently were considered "white" enough to stop being discriminated against (at least to the degree they were discriminated against 50 years previously).

This is along the lines of what I was asking.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Back when I was trying out the beta of Windows 7, there was a nice bass clef user picture I could use, but it got nixed in the release version. Does anyone know where I can find it? I haven't been able to uncover it through GIS-ing things like "windows 7" "bass clef" user picture and combinations thereof.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

See also this thread wherein we mock the stupid legacy strips, laugh heartily at the handful that are relevant and funny, and go :tviv: at The Phantom every day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gils posted:

In fact, this post looks a lot like yours, which is identified in the next post as a carpet beetle.

This. It's a dermestid beetle.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

1. Has the comic page in a newspaper ever been funny?

I guess remembering the 80s makes me a geriatric

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do Americans tend to have more of a selection of international cuisine than most other countries? In, say, South Korea, I can't imagine being able to as easily head over to an Italian restaurant, but here I can easily go get some Korean food or Italian food or a dozen other options. I imagine it's just as easy in a good chunk of the Western world as well, but what about the rest of the world?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I think it really depends on which city you are in. If you mean "authentic" foods from other nationalities it seems to depend on what the local population is like and how many expats and foreign workers are around. A lot of those ethnic restaurants in America are mostly ethnic only in name with the recipes heavily localized to that region of the states.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There's an Italian restaurant in just about every city in the world because Italians are ridiculously picky eaters who usually hate everything except (mama's) pasta. Thanks to the many waves of Italian immigrants who've set up businesses in all corners of the world, there's a ready supply of customers.

Same thing with Irish pubs.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Marshmallows manufactured in Europe taste different from marshmallows. Even the plain white ones, amusingly labelled "American Marshmallows" (but made in Holland) taste nothing like the stuff from the US. Why do they make them different? Do Europeans have different tastes? Does anyone know where I can buy imported American marshmallows in Brussels?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

feedmyleg posted:

Do Americans tend to have more of a selection of international cuisine than most other countries? In, say, South Korea, I can't imagine being able to as easily head over to an Italian restaurant, but here I can easily go get some Korean food or Italian food or a dozen other options. I imagine it's just as easy in a good chunk of the Western world as well, but what about the rest of the world?

A lot of this has to do with the large number of immigrants the USA has had from so many different places over the centuries.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

greazeball posted:

There's an Italian restaurant in just about every city in the world because Italians are ridiculously picky eaters who usually hate everything except (mama's) pasta.

Same thing with Irish pubs.

Neither of those really cater to the home crowd, though. They are usually more gimmicky than authentic, particularly in the case of an Irish pub.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Baron Bifford posted:

Marshmallows manufactured in Europe taste different from marshmallows. Even the plain white ones, amusingly labelled "American Marshmallows" (but made in Holland) taste nothing like the stuff from the US. Why do they make them different? Do Europeans have different tastes? Does anyone know where I can buy imported American marshmallows in Brussels?

Don't know where you can find American-style marshmallows in europe, but I'd presume they are different because corn syrup is used here but not elsewhere. It's also possible they use actual marshmallow root over there instead of gelatin, I suppose.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Neither of those really cater to the home crowd, though. They are usually more gimmicky than authentic, particularly in the case of an Irish pub.

When I had to entertain Italians in Dublin, after the 2nd day they wouldn't eat anywhere except Italian restaurants. It was bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, moan, moan until they found a place where they could abuse the guy because he didn't use the right olive oil.

There are Irish pubs everywhere because of the huge Irish diaspora who want a familiar setting and also because a lot of places in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland (to name a few) don't have a pub culture and serve beer in tiny wee glasses with stems, don't have darts or crisps, and certainly don't have Irish or British telly (for the sports, mostly).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Baron Bifford posted:

If you can find corn syrup in Brussels just make them. They are ridiculously easy. Gelatin, sugar, corn syrup, water.

There is a marshmallow thread somewhere in Goons with spoons, though I haven't seen it in a while so you may need archives for it now.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

This. It's a dermestid beetle.

Thanks for the help, guys. And no wonder I couldn't find the bug ID thread. I was looking in the wrong forum.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Any country thats based on mass immigration (or isn't that old really) would probably be the same.

Somewhere like Australia or the USA or Canada have pretty much come about from people from other countries moving there (where the very small native population doesn't really factor). Therefore they don't have a cuisine developed over thousands of years.

If you think about places in Europe like Italy and France or asian countries like China and Japan they have a very obvious cusine and culture around that which doesn't allow for much integration of others.

Then you have places like the UK where their cuisine was pretty bland/shite anyway so they've been more keen to accept others I believe.

I'm just spitting out ideas here. But I think it will often be tied to migration levels + the amount of time the local cuisine has had to develop.

Modern Australian cuisine doesn't really "exist" in that its a mish mash of french, italian and other european/asian influences.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Mind you marshmallows made in Holland taste different from ones made in the UK as well - so maybe you could try marshmallows made in different European countries if you can't find American ones?

They should be fairly easy to find online though, there are plenty of 'international' candy websites that will ship all over Europe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Any country thats based on mass immigration (or isn't that old really) would probably be the same.

Somewhere like Australia or the USA or Canada have pretty much come about from people from other countries moving there (where the very small native population doesn't really factor). Therefore they don't have a cuisine developed over thousands of years.

If you think about places in Europe like Italy and France or asian countries like China and Japan they have a very obvious cusine and culture around that which doesn't allow for much integration of others.

This is the first place my mind went, but I was more curious as to whether or not that idea had crossed over to those previously non-integrated cultures, i.e. if these days can you easily find a Mexican restaurant in Taipei.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

What kind of spider is this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why are carnitas more expensive than other meats at alot of restaurants (like Chipotle or Qdoba) when its like a 1.50 a lb for pork shoulder at the grocery store, where steak and chicken are far more expensive?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Why are carnitas more expensive than other meats at alot of restaurants (like Chipotle or Qdoba) when its like a 1.50 a lb for pork shoulder at the grocery store, where steak and chicken are far more expensive?

It's cooked twice (roasted then fried, I think)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

greazeball posted:

There are Irish pubs everywhere because of the huge Irish diaspora who want a familiar setting and also because a lot of places in France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland (to name a few) don't have a pub culture and serve beer in tiny wee glasses with stems, don't have darts or crisps, and certainly don't have Irish or British telly (for the sports, mostly).

I've never seen a contigent of Irish people at an Irish pub. Of course, there's like 1000 Irish bars in Boston, so they could have their pick on either end of the block in any part of the city.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wigtrade.cc posted:

What kind of spider is this?

It looks like an orb weaver of some sort to me.

e: Lots of people talking about bugs in this thread, don't know if they do IDs though?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Alright I swear this is a real question. One of the other regulars at a diner I frequent is an old man who often uses the phrase "______ as a paperwood friend of the family." I haven't been able to figure out any kind of context, as it seems like he can apply it to drat near anything. I avoid talking to him myself, Google returns absolutely nothing, and I can't think of an appropriate way to ask anyone I know personally. But at this point I'm really curious what the hell it means. Is he just a crazy old racist who came up with his own thing or has anyone else ever heard of this?

ed: I mean I'm from Mississippi, I'm pretty acquainted with various slurs and whatnot, but I'm stumped on this one.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 28, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

Alright I swear this is a real question. One of the other regulars at a diner I frequent is an old man who often uses the phrase "______ as a paperwood friend of the family." I haven't been able to figure out any kind of context, as it seems like he can apply it to drat near anything. I avoid talking to him myself, Google returns absolutely nothing, and I can't think of an appropriate way to ask anyone I know personally. But at this point I'm really curious what the hell it means. Is he just a crazy old racist who came up with his own thing or has anyone else ever heard of this?

Maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peckerwood

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A rook flew over my house carrying a large twig in his beak, and took it to the rookery just behind my garden. I saw him coming from a good way off and in total saw him fly about a mile. Having spent the last two weeks cleaning and tidying my garden I can categorically state that there is a surplus of twigs and branches of all types around where I live.

My questions is, therefore, what makes a bird go "Aha! This is the twig I need for my nest!" and carry it a long distance, rather than just collecting at any of the other numerable closer loacations?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

stubblyhead posted:

It looks like an orb weaver of some sort to me.

e: Lots of people talking about bugs in this thread, don't know if they do IDs though?

Yes it's an araneid and yes we do IDs to the best of our abilities. Spiders are tricky; they're easy to nail to family and sometimes to genus (yours there is probably Araneus, wigtrade), but to identify them to species often requires lab work.

I'm one of the few spider authorities in Critterquest, and I think we're all amateur. There's a couple of professional entomologists in there so identifying insects is usually quite easy. I'm a bombologist-in-training, so direct all of your bumble bees to me! (actually don't because I'm not good with IDs yet)

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In medieval times, everybody drank ale rather than water, even children. I'm told this was because there was no clean drinking water available. As part of the brewing process, the water in ale must be boiled, which makes it healthier by killing germs. But medieval people didn't know about germs, so how could they know that boiling water made it safer to drink?