Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

(((k)))
Jun 30, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Speaking of, what's the deal with the Whiteline endlinks? I need to change out my front endlinks for sedan links in order to use my GC aluminum control arms and both of my usual parts sources stopped carrying them a little while ago and only carry Kartboy units (even though they still have a wide range of other Whiteline stuff). I assume it's because the Kartboy endlinks are much cheaper. Are the Kartboy links just as good?

I have the Kartboys on my 09 WRX. Whiteline offers a few different designs like the spherical, which for a DD I have heard negative things. I like the solid KBs, they are really well made. The rears would contact the lower spring perch when I had the car on stands. Just barely and the that is my only complaint for front or rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I had a 2001 2.5RS and it was suppose to be the best year. SOHC and it had the map sensed ecu. It made a slight amount of horsepower over the DOHC motor but was much simpler. I took 2nd place in my class for the season that I had it. I miss that car but I couldn't afford it on minimum wage and my commute. The guy I bought it from would get time of day or close to it at autocross and continually fastest at rallycross with it being being stock aside from coilovers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NinjaTech posted:

I can't use Group N bushings either since they're harder than stock. Which sucks since I'd rather spend money on those.

The only bushings that don't have to be stock are sway bar bushings. I can also change end links.
Per 13.8(c): Suspension bushings can be changed, they just be the same material and dimensions. Different material is tricky but my understanding is that it is designed to prevent people from using more metal. Hardness is not an issue.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

dyne posted:

The DOHC engine was the major offender for the headgasket problem

Is that that only reason? It's pretty easy to fix...

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

nm posted:

Per 13.8(c): Suspension bushings can be changed, they just be the same material and dimensions. Different material is tricky but my understanding is that it is designed to prevent people from using more metal. Hardness is not an issue.

section 13: Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered
replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets,
filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure
plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, fenders, trim pieces,
etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard
parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.),
are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well someone would have to get under the car, take stuff apart, and physically test the hardness to tell. They use the same molds so group n parts even have the same part numbers as stock on the rubber. If you were competing at a national level it might matter

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yeah if I was a better driver it would matter more. I think I'm just going to go for the Group N stuff, starting with the rear first. I also need to get an alignment pretty badly. It's got way too much understeer for my liking with the stock alignment.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NinjaTech posted:

section 13: Alternate components which are normally expendable and considered
replacement parts (e.g., engine and wheel bearings, seals, gaskets,
filters, belts, bolts, bulbs, batteries, brake rotors, clutch discs, pressure
plates, suspension bushings, drivetrain mounts, fenders, trim pieces,
etc.) may be used provided they are essentially identical to the standard
parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight, material etc.),
are used in the same location, and provide no performance benefit.
Yes, but the above section overrides that.
Those rules are for all parts not explicitly mentioned. The stock rules mention suspension bushings. I suspect the e.g is from an old rule section they're not great at cleaning up the rules.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Rules are meant to be broken. If they cant find it, you aint cheating :D

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Discovered that my stock intake box wasn't properly reinstalled by the PO. Going to replace it with a Short Ram Intake instead of sourcing all the missing hardware. Is a tune required for the SRI?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Discovered that my stock intake box wasn't properly reinstalled by the PO. Going to replace it with a Short Ram Intake instead of sourcing all the missing hardware. Is a tune required for the SRI?

Yeah, you need to tune with a wideband AFR for all intakes. I would suggest reinstalling the OEM airbox; my tuner was starting to do a comparo of a lot of the available aftermarket intakes (at our exceptionally elevated altitude) before his transmission let go, but early indications were that the stock airbox (potentially with no snorkus) was pretty close to the best.

Intake trumpets

Air flow tuning for the K&N SRI

GPMoto elbow vs. stock snorkus on stock airbox STI

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 29, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NinjaTech posted:

Yeah if I was a better driver it would matter more. I think I'm just going to go for the Group N stuff, starting with the rear first. I also need to get an alignment pretty badly. It's got way too much understeer for my liking with the stock alignment.

Are you within tenths of a seconds lap time of the leaders? If you were, maybe I would consider that cheating as there may be slight enough chance it could give you an advantage. Even so, I'm sure there are a million other little asinine things that could be argued give you an advantage. But otherwise, who cares. Have fun.

Also, I want a Race Wars post card.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

nm posted:

Yes, but the above section overrides that.
Those rules are for all parts not explicitly mentioned. The stock rules mention suspension bushings. I suspect the e.g is from an old rule section they're not great at cleaning up the rules.

So since they're both made out of rubber it's fine? I guess I wont feel too bad about it as long as I'm not using poly bushings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

NinjaTech posted:

So since they're both made out of rubber it's fine? I guess I wont feel too bad about it as long as I'm not using poly bushings.
That is my interpretation.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Small question here. Ive got a 2004 forester xt mt. I had an v1 accessport, and was running the base tune for a stock, zero mods car. I just got broken into, and they stole my accessport. Ive found a replacement on ebay, the guy had it for a 06 wrx mt.
So, can I just buy that and use it with no problems? Im pretty sure itll work with my car normally, but wasnt sure if having the previous accessport installed on it would cause problems.
Thanks!

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Call AP and ask for a discount and see what they say.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Err well I bought the last one used, too. Dont think theyll give me a discount.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, you need to tune with a wideband AFR for all intakes. I would suggest reinstalling the OEM airbox; my tuner was starting to do a comparo of a lot of the available aftermarket intakes (at our exceptionally elevated altitude) before his transmission let go, but early indications were that the stock airbox (potentially with an elbow instead of the snorkus) was pretty close to the best.

Intake trumpets

Air flow tuning for the K&N SRI

GPMoto elbow vs. stock snorkus on stock airbox STI

Yeah I still have the stock installed. I also realize that for my uses, a SRI is overkill as the stock is more than enough but I figured it'd be cheaper to get a used TurboXS from a buddy instead of going through the hassle of finding all the missing parts.

I thought since it had the stock MAF housing size, I wouldn't have to worry too much about tuning. Not a big deal since I was planning on cleaning the MAF and toying with the ECU with my VAGCOM cable anyways.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

daslog posted:

Is that that only reason? It's pretty easy to fix...

The DOHC motor (EJ25D) had less torque, no rear LSD, a different front bumper which I don't think looks as nice, and only came in coupe. Since it was the only year for that engine, finding parts for it may be more difficult. I would say definitely hunt for a '00/'01 which are the same except for some interior detailing I believe. If you can't find one of those (it can take a while to find one at the right price) go for a '99, which just lacks the rear LSD. It's a viscous coupling unit anyways, which loses it's effectiveness when you drive the car hard.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hey Subaru dudes.

I recently finished my FXT trans swap into my RS.

The one thing I didn't consider is the gear ratio change which messed up my speedometer. Can I just pull the sensor thing out of my old box and put it in the new box and have it work magically? I thought they didn't come out of the gearbox, but apparently they do. Any other route I should take instead?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

some turbos came for our race car today. Garrett's new billet wheel is pretty nice:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Hey Subaru dudes.

I recently finished my FXT trans swap into my RS.

The one thing I didn't consider is the gear ratio change which messed up my speedometer. Can I just pull the sensor thing out of my old box and put it in the new box and have it work magically? I thought they didn't come out of the gearbox, but apparently they do. Any other route I should take instead?

Just going to quote myself to ask more questions along with this first one.

I've finished my swap and have these issues:

• First thing. It's throwing a CEL because of the O2 sensor. The pins popped out of the plug, and I don't think I put them back in right. There's two white ones, a gray one, and a black one. No idea what the right order is. Anyone got an easy method or should I just keep guessing tomorrow.

• Second. When rolling clutch in, the cars electrical system seems to shut down. Giving it gas will bring it back to life. At stop signs it'll sometimes stall with the clutch in. No idea wtf that's about.

• Third. Whirring sound from the drivetrain. More notable on decel I can't figure out if something is off, or if it's a natural side effect from all the bushings and mounts I've thrown at the car. (Group N motor and trans, every single TiC bushing) I tried listening for if it's front or back, but my hearing is ROYALLY messed up, so I can't really tell.

• Fourth, speedometer is off, I know it's because the car is re-geared from 4.11 to 4.44 with the new setup. Still looking into how to fix this exactly.

Any insight into these issues would be awesome! I plan to poke around the car more tomorrow, but at this point I have no direction to go in.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 30, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What precisely do you mean the electrical system will shut down? What symptoms are you experiencing?
I would recommend looking for any unconnected spade or any other kind of plugs that ground to the transmission. My Mazda had one I missed and without it lots of strange things happened.

For Bosch and NTK I think the sensors usually go with the heater element as white, black ground and grey signal. I haven't pulled apart an oxygen sensor like that though so I wouldn't know how to figure out what goes where. Be careful, you don't want to cross ground and positive of course. Let us know if a manufacturer is stamped on it.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Slow is Fast posted:

morrow.

[*]Second. When rolling clutch in, the cars electrical system seems to shut down. Giving it gas will bring it back to life. At stop signs it'll sometimes stall with the clutch in. No idea wtf that's about.

Sometimes when you have the battery disconnected for a while they tend to 'forget' what their idle is supposed to be at and stall when to clutch in and take all the load off the engine. Clean the throttlebody and idle speed controller and should sort itself out after a bit of driving.

Slow is Fast posted:

[*]Third. Whirring sound from the drivetrain. More notable on decel I can't figure out if something is off, or if it's a natural side effect from all the bushings and mounts I've thrown at the car. (Group N motor and trans, every single TiC bushing) I tried listening for if it's front or back, but my hearing is ROYALLY messed up, so I can't really tell.
Only real way to check that is to get the car on a lift/stands and have someone drive the car while listening with a stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear. If it's more noticeable on decel then it could possible be transfer bearings and gears in the back of the gearbox.

Slow is Fast posted:

[*]Fourth, speedometer is off, I know it's because the car is re-geared from 4.11 to 4.44 with the new setup. Still looking into how to fix this exactly.
[/list]
You may be able to use the speedo sensor out of the old box but I doubt it. More than likely the speedo drive gear would need to be changed which involves removing the gearbox and splitting the case to get to the tiny little plastic drive gear inside.
If changing the sensor doesn't work their are electronic modules and kits out there to modulate the signal from the gearbox so you can get the right reading on the dash.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Running into an issue here ('02 WRX): My wideband O2 sensor is spliced off of the switched power to my clock. Whenever it's on, I get feedback into the radio (high pitched). It's not too loud but annoying enough.

I tried putting a diode in (tried it on the power, ground, and both) but I keep getting the feedback. If I power the gauge off the battery directly, it goes away.

Any hints? Should I just make my peace with the fact that I need to wire it down into the fusebox?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ChunksNensja posted:

Sometimes when you have the battery disconnected for a while they tend to 'forget' what their idle is supposed to be at and stall when to clutch in and take all the load off the engine. Clean the throttlebody and idle speed controller and should sort itself out after a bit of driving.

Only real way to check that is to get the car on a lift/stands and have someone drive the car while listening with a stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear. If it's more noticeable on decel then it could possible be transfer bearings and gears in the back of the gearbox.

You may be able to use the speedo sensor out of the old box but I doubt it. More than likely the speedo drive gear would need to be changed which involves removing the gearbox and splitting the case to get to the tiny little plastic drive gear inside.
If changing the sensor doesn't work their are electronic modules and kits out there to modulate the signal from the gearbox so you can get the right reading on the dash.

Thanks! I forgot about how I had the batt disconnected for two months... that may be why it's running funky. Duh.

I found a post about the O2 plug on RS25 last night. My buddy who works at VIP is also going to check for me, so that should be sorted out today.

Speed sensor I figured the VSS plug thing wasn't the solution. I'll probably get an aftermarket box thingy that why I can correct for tire size changes as well since I want to do a lot of TSDs along with autox and rallyx.

As for the driveline noise. I hope it isn't that. The box has only 80k miles on it. I'll have the dealership give it a listen when I bring it in to have an alignment done. If something is wearing inside... Guess I'll just have to tear it open, fix it, and add a front LSD while I'm in there. Hey, I can dream right.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Neptr posted:

The DOHC motor (EJ25D) had less torque, no rear LSD, a different front bumper which I don't think looks as nice, and only came in coupe. Since it was the only year for that engine, finding parts for it may be more difficult. I would say definitely hunt for a '00/'01 which are the same except for some interior detailing I believe. If you can't find one of those (it can take a while to find one at the right price) go for a '99, which just lacks the rear LSD. It's a viscous coupling unit anyways, which loses it's effectiveness when you drive the car hard.

Also, if you're looking at cars in the DOHC/SOHC changeover period ('98-'00 or so) it's probably a good idea to double check the engine that's actually in the car. I don't know if this is common or not, but my '99 forester had the sohc ej253 but the window sticker and the owner's manual both claimed it had the dohc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The gear noise is probably normal with all the upgraded mounts and bushings. My car is loud and I still have standard motor/trans mounts.

sounds like you have a simple wiring issue like a loose/missing ground or a short. if you completely unplug that 02 sensor with the pins in the wrong place does it still stall?

Blaise posted:

Running into an issue here ('02 WRX): My wideband O2 sensor is spliced off of the switched power to my clock. Whenever it's on, I get feedback into the radio (high pitched). It's not too loud but annoying enough.

WB02s can be pretty picky about where they get their power and the grounds so I would just go back to the better power source.

in other news we put that new Garrett GTX35r on yesterday and went and got it tuned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4WDSz-2gTY

it made a lot of boosts.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2011

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

lazer_chicken posted:

Also, if you're looking at cars in the DOHC/SOHC changeover period ('98-'00 or so) it's probably a good idea to double check the engine that's actually in the car. I don't know if this is common or not, but my '99 forester had the sohc ej253 but the window sticker and the owner's manual both claimed it had the dohc.
In addition, some of the '99s were MAP instead of MAF

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I love my bastard year '99. Phase 2!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

jamal posted:

The gear noise is probably normal with all the upgraded mounts and bushings. My car is loud and I still have standard motor/trans mounts.

sounds like you have a simple wiring issue like a loose/missing ground or a short. if you completely unplug that 02 sensor with the pins in the wrong place does it still stall?

Hoping the gear noise is just the mounts. I'll have the techs at the dealership give 'er a listen when they do the alignment. I found the right wiring for the O2 sensor, so that's all fixed. Car should be good to go!

jamal posted:

in other news we put that new Garrett GTX35r on yesterday and went and got it tuned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4WDSz-2gTY

it made a lot of boosts.

:stare:

700whp wtf how is that... :psyduck:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

:stare:

700whp wtf how is that... :psyduck:

something like 37psi

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Would somebody compare/contrast the 2nd Gen Legacy/1st Outback to the 3rd Gen Legacy/2nd Gen Outback?

I'm a college student and I want a mildly capable offroad vehicle (dirt roads and sand mostly) that's economical enough to afford driving, but I don't know if the improvements to the 00+ model year cars are drastic enough to warrant an extra grand or two on the used market.

I know the body style is drastically changed but from reading cars101 it seems like functionally not much has changed.

Any thoughts?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A regular Impreza/Legacy does just fine in Sand/Dirt. As for your question, I have no idea. However, in either case I do recommend a manual transmission as your generally get Subaru's 2nd best AWD system (behind the STI).

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

something like 37psi

Is that running e85 or 100 octane race fuel?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

e85. early last year we were on MS109 (110 unleaded). Switching to e85 took us from 550 to 650. Then we discovered our oil catch can was causing us to burn a lot of oil. We fixed that and picked up another 40whp. then swapped turbo and we're at close to 750. it's pretty nuts and I won't be surprised if the transmission, block, a rod, or headgasket fail in the very near future.

This weekend we're going to AZ for the modified magazine super jdm tuna shootout race wars. I think we have a chance at winning provided the car stays together and GST doesn't show up with the L.

nothing done to trans, never even been apart, stock diffs too. I just got a quote for some Albins straight cut dog gears and it made me really hope nothing breaks.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What have you done to the transmission to reinforce it?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Pretty impressive, most Garret 35/40R dynos I've seen are in the 450-500 whp range except with the same terrible spool.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

how is that terrible spool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've got more dumb questions, sorry.

I've got a set of RS 6 spokes that I'm going to be putting summers on. Should I be getting 225/50R16's or 205/55R16's. Would the 225's fit awkwardly, bulge too much, or would they be a better setup. I plan to get a high performance summer tire and do some autox.

A friend has some 07 forester 16's and he's wondering the same thing about tire sizing as I am.