Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiisi
Sep 25, 2010
In the last two years I've gone through three different cups. drat cat got her paws on the first two. You can find a lot of user comparison of different cups online, but here's my experience. Maybe someone finds it useful.

My first was the small Lunette - I have average flow, I've not given birth and back in the tampon days I used Libresse's normal size. The material of Lunette was soft and easy to fold, and it opened without problems. No overflows, I could easily keep it in from morning till evening.

After the Destruction I got meself a small MeLuna. Didn't like it as much, the material made it tougher to fold and stick in. I also found it more slippery and difficult to take out. It was smaller than the s size Lunette, but I didn't empty it more than once a day. It was cheapest available which is why I bought it.

Now I got small Pink Cup, which I believe is just pink version of Lady Cup? There's practically no difference compared to Lunette. I like it a lot.

If you're having troubles getting it out, you could just try waiting a little longer. I've kept it in too long couple of times, which makes the whole thing more moist and easier to squeeze out. I quickly wash it with first cold, then warm water, and it's ready for more use. After periods I boil it in a kettle I bought just for the cup. I usually don't wear it at night, as it tends to travel up. I swim and zumba with it, never had accidents. My boyfriend is cool with it. No more seeing or smelling the pads, and money saved.

A quick summary of positives and negatives:
+ Does not make me dry and itchy.
+ Doesn't rub the skin off my panty lines.
+ I don't have to worry about strings peaking out of my bikini in the summer!
+ Cheaper in the long run (I counted it paid itself back in a year).
+ Save the Earth, hooray!

- Cup travels up, up and away during the night and searching the dungeon for my lost treasure is annoying in busy mornings.
- I have to go pee more often than usual. Seems the cup presses against uretha, my friend complained about the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is it bad I totally want one of those sparkly melunas? I need an extra large sized one for those uber days anyway when they re-enact a Tarantino movie in my pants.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Even though I've had a Mirena (and thus no real periods) for the last 5.5 years, this thread still somehow inspired me to get a cup. I figure I can use it for the spotting days. And for when I eventually get the Mirena out to start trying for kids (which may not be so very far away anymore).

I tried a Divacup about 6 or 7 years ago, but could never get the drat thing to not leak. I am 100% sure I was getting it in right, it just refused to hold a seal. I suspect the issue was that my vagina is short (I too could not use Tampax because they were too long for my vag and would stick out). So I'm trying the MeLuna in the hopes that a shorter cup will work out better. Also, being able to get a blue menstrual cup is totally awesome.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Day One: Why does inserting this thing feel like I'm trying to force a recalcitrant dolphin through the eye of a needle?

Stockholm
Apr 6, 2010
I have been using a Diva cup during my last four cycles and hot drat! Cups are awesome! I'm never looking back again, ever!

And yeah, inserting it the first time takes some time and might be a bit uncomfortable, but as soon as you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. Warming the cup in warm water for a bit helps, it makes the cup more flexible and softer. A friend of mine uses a tiny bit of lubricant to help the insertion along, she swears by it.
I mostly use the cup while I'm in the shower, so no hassle there.

I'd love to own a glittery pink one :3: or day-glo yellow! Oh my :3:

Embrace the Random
Dec 16, 2005
For the veterans; Do you all wear panty liners while wearing the cup for residual spotting or just in case? I'm finding that, while I'm not leaking, I do get the odd spot here and there.

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Embrace the Random posted:

For the veterans; Do you all wear panty liners while wearing the cup for residual spotting or just in case? I'm finding that, while I'm not leaking, I do get the odd spot here and there.

Yeah, disposable ones when traveling away from home, reusable otherwise. I'm trying to make the move to reusable ones for the most part since a majority of my diva cup decision was based on making less trash. Plus sometimes I cant empty it right away or end up with a little leaking right after I first put it in so it makes sense to save the underwear.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
For insertion, you just aren't used to it yet. Boil it a few times to get it more pliable- they are pretty stiff straight out of the box. Lube can help if you need it, as mentioned. I'd recommend a water based lube, though.

As for the spots, I've found that's just residual blood that drips down in between removing the cup, cleaning it, and reinserting it. It can also be from pinching the cup when it is very full and some spilling over as you remove it. I just use flushable wipes after reinsertion now and there are no spots. Make sure you are cleaning up your perineum, as well.

I really like to take care of it all in the shower. You can make as much mess as you need to removing it, and if you have a removable hand held shower head, you can really get all the residual blood out of there after you've reinserted. I can't do it on my heavy days, or I'd be taking 10 showers a day. But if you don't have to remove it very often, showers are optimal!

It really makes me happy so many people are trying these out!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

ThreeFish posted:

^^

I'm not sure what that could be, Niemat. As long as your cup isn't leaking, I wouldn't worry about it much. Are you leaking?

Sorry to have left you hanging! :( I was sort of spotting, but I assumed it was due to the fact that my period is the gift that keeps on giving and that makes it hard to clean all the blood out in between insertions. However, I am open to the idea that I might have been leaking. :( Is there a good way to tell if I've got the angle right? I know it was suggested to cram it in towards your tailbone earlier, but mine always wants to angle up once I hit a certain point in the cramming process...

Embrace the Random
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I guess either way, panty liners are less waste than tampons and pads so it's not a bad trade off. I'll keep using them until I'm a little more confident with what is happening down there.

Thanks again, ladies! I have to say, when I saw this thread I was like, WTF no way! So glad for the suggestion! I have a job where I wear a uniform and duty belt and this is going to be a life saver over my shift! No more nasty tampons when you really don't have time to deal with it!

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I have a few reusable panty liners I use for the heaviest days in case anything trickled down between removing and reinsertion. Its usually not necessary for me though and after the first few days I don't bother, the flow just isn't heavy enough for there to me a significant amount between removal and reinsertion.

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008
I think y'all have convinced me to try one of these. I've known about them for a while but couldn't get past the image of sitting in a public restroom somewhere, on some disgusting overused toilet, and re-inserting a dirty cup. But it it's just a morning/evening thing in the shower that ain't bad at all. And taking them out can't be any worse than The Sponge.

Also, I hate hate hate tampon strings. They are disgusting.

P.S. Ask me about the time I left a Sponge up in me and forgot about it (Sponges are supposed to stay in you for some hours after the deed), then stuck another Sponge up there and didn't realize what was happening till the next day. Then ask me about my almost obsessive need to smell EVERYTHING I come in contact with.

Ahahahaha, this thread is gross.

miserable lil onion fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 29, 2011

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

miserable lil onion posted:

I think y'all have convinced me to try one of these. I've known about them for a while but couldn't get past the image of sitting in a public restroom somewhere, on some disgusting overused toilet, and re-inserting a dirty cup. But it it's just a morning/evening thing in the shower that ain't bad at all. And taking them out can't be any worse than The Sponge.

Also, I hate hate hate tampon strings. They are disgusting.

P.S. Ask me about the time I left a Sponge up in me and forgot about it (Sponges are supposed to stay in you for some hours after the deed), then stuck another Sponge up there and didn't realize what was happening till the next day. Then ask me about my almost obsessive need to smell EVERYTHING I come in contact with.

Ahahahaha, this thread is gross.

My friend once forgot about a tampon (which got further rammed up into her by sex) and didn't realize it was in there until her gyno retrieved it 3 weeks later when she went to get discharge issues checked out. How the hell she and her boyfriend failed to notice it, I have no idea.

She now uses a menstrual cup.

So yeah, your Sponge moment wasn't so bad.

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

Bill Clinton would be willing, if we just ask. If we just ASK.
Dear internet/lady goons,

I know you're probably wondering why I'm posting this at 5:20 in the morning. Believe me, I would much rather have slept in, and most likely would have except for the fact that my Diva cup just Carrie-at-prom-ed me. Blood. Freaking. Everywhere. I'm so annoyed/tired/crampy.

Hugs and (bloody) kisses,
Fully adequite.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Did you somehow pop it out in your sleep/wriggling around or something? :psyduck: I was bouncing around from rock/exposed dead reef area to rock/exposed dead reef area yesterday at thea beach without a problem with that thing in. How did you do this? I must know.

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

I guess I must not have gotten a good seal... I don't know it seemed like it was in tight before bed. I sleep like a log, plus I've done aerobics/zumba with it in before with no problem. I'm so annoyed with my uterus, I think it hates me:(

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

fully adequite posted:

I guess I must not have gotten a good seal... I don't know it seemed like it was in tight before bed. I sleep like a log, plus I've done aerobics/zumba with it in before with no problem. I'm so annoyed with my uterus, I think it hates me:(

Perhaps your cup runneth over? That's the only explanation I can come up with for my own problems...worked fine for lighter days, but when the deluge came, it'd end up leaking.

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Perhaps your cup runneth over? That's the only explanation I can come up with for my own problems...worked fine for lighter days, but when the deluge came, it'd end up leaking.

That's probably it, I have crazy heavy periods. Between this and my need for a THIRD pap smear in two months due to "insufficient sample size" I'm so over having lady bits.

Anyone want a slightly used cervix/uterus?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

fully adequite posted:

That's probably it, I have crazy heavy periods. Between this and my need for a THIRD pap smear in two months due to "insufficient sample size" I'm so over having lady bits.

Anyone want a slightly used cervix/uterus?

Because of the insane amount of paperwork involved in donating lady bits, I decided it would be a better idea for me to just try a different cup. I'll let you know how that works out.

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008
I purchased a Mooncup a couple of weeks ago after reading this thread and it honestly feels like it's changed my life. I felt a bit embarrassed about feeling that strongly about it until I saw others had said similar things. My heavy periods are no longer going to turn me into a paranoid mess during work/university! No more ruined underwear! Yay! Thank you to everyone who wrote about these things as it prompted my decision to get out there and finally buy one of these things.

Also, no more tampon strings. Ugh.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I just ordered the diva cup based on the glowing recommendations from this thread.

Is it wrong that I'm a little bummed aunt flo is going to get here before the cup does? I'm just SO EXCITED!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

So I bought a moon cup and am testing it out a bit before my monthly hits. Insertion is easy, but it brings on an almost crampy feeling. Is this a sizing error or am I doing something wrong? Anyone else experience something similar?

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Dazerbeams posted:

So I bought a moon cup and am testing it out a bit before my monthly hits. Insertion is easy, but it brings on an almost crampy feeling. Is this a sizing error or am I doing something wrong? Anyone else experience something similar?

I had that the first day or so. It passed.

I'm still dealing with seal issues. Today I put it to the test and went horseback riding...and leaked :(

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I got cramps worse than usual the first few times I used the DivaCup, but I think I was putting it in too roughly or something because they went away after I got better with inserting and taking it out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dazerbeams posted:

Try doing some kegels--I find that relaxes any mild insertion cramps.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

After purchasing 3 different cups and having them ALL leak I tried the inside out diva cup trick and NO LEAKS! No leaks ever! Thank you, ladies! Also, using the kegels to push the cup down has worked wonders for me. No more struggling to grasp the bottom and having my hand cramp up.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tse1618 posted:

I got cramps worse than usual the first few times I used the DivaCup, but I think I was putting it in too roughly or something because they went away after I got better with inserting and taking it out.

Same here. My body hated me the first day and was very confused just what the hell I was doing to it. Then I figured it out and it seems to be really cool with it now.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Wow, as a male I'd always figured these things were disgusting and only crazy women used them. I am now educated.

They're like the Holy Grail of feminine hygiene products.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

chumpchous posted:

Wow, as a male I'd always figured these things were disgusting and only crazy women used them. I am now educated.

They're like the Holy Grail of feminine hygiene products.

I'm female and believed for the longest time that cups were the realm of stinky hippies. How wrong I was.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
This thread has converted another 2 women, though I'm having a problem that I hope someone will have an answer to.

I've had no problems during the day with my Diva Cup, inserting and removing a breeze and no leaks. Night time? Different story. Got up to pee and noticed a leak - switched to a tampon because it was 2 o'clock in the damned morning and didn't feel like fiddling with it. Switched back to the cup in the morning, only to read in bed for another hour and have it leak again. It seems to be sealing fine when I'm upright, but I even think about being prone and it seeps out the side.

What can I do to make this miracle thing continue to work?

fully adequite
Dec 13, 2006

Horn of Arby's posted:

2am leakage

The exact same thing happened to me (see upthread wee hours of the morning bitchfest.) This was at the height of my vaginal monsoon, and I didn't have any problems the following night. I'm thinking my strategy might next time might be empty later at night, and wear a pad back up on heavy nights. Not ideal, but better than leakage I suppose. It's still better than the two to three tampons and a pad per night that I was soaking through previously.

(I just started a new birth control, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the heavier bleeding. *fingers crossed*)

I really haven't had any other leaking problems other than at night, or because of extreme cup fullness.

Also seconding the comment about thinking menstrual cups were silly hippie nonsense, but gradually being converted because of this thread/various lady blogs.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Apart from the fact that I need a bigger capacity cup for heavy days, the only problem I had with the glitter MeLuna was that the site I bought it from recommended it as "Great for Twilight fans!!!". Ugh.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Are you guys sure you're getting a seal on your cups? Spin it around a bit after it's inserted so it'll help seal the cup in.

Embrace the Random
Dec 16, 2005

slinkimalinki posted:

Apart from the fact that I need a bigger capacity cup for heavy days, the only problem I had with the glitter MeLuna was that the site I bought it from recommended it as "Great for Twilight fans!!!". Ugh.

If I had seen that I probably wouldn't have bought it! haha I have a white glitter cup.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bewildrbeast posted:

Are you guys sure you're getting a seal on your cups? Spin it around a bit after it's inserted so it'll help seal the cup in.

This might be the problem. I know the little guide book or whatever just suggests one turn, but I make mine spin around like a goddamned ballerina.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

slinkimalinki posted:

"It looks so pretty when it's full!" :barf:

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead
I was hesitant to get a menstrual cup because the only person I knew who had one was a hairy-legged hippie (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my style), but she and this thread have convinced me. I'm about to buy my first one but I'm not sure what size to get. I've looked at the side-by-side pictures but I don't know if my uterus hangs low or not. During the heaviest day of my period, my cervix is just under 2 inches above the vaginal opening and I can touch it pretty easily. Do I need a short cup or should a longer one be fine?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Frosted Ambassador posted:

I was hesitant to get a menstrual cup because the only person I knew who had one was a hairy-legged hippie (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my style), but she and this thread have convinced me. I'm about to buy my first one but I'm not sure what size to get. I've looked at the side-by-side pictures but I don't know if my uterus hangs low or not. During the heaviest day of my period, my cervix is just under 2 inches above the vaginal opening and I can touch it pretty easily. Do I need a short cup or should a longer one be fine?

I'd get a short one if I were you. Have you ever had issues using certain tampon brands because they are too long (original Tampax are really long for example)?

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead

Ceridwen posted:

I'd get a short one if I were you. Have you ever had issues using certain tampon brands because they are too long (original Tampax are really long for example)?

I've always used the shorter tampons. Though sometimes I use the short tampons that are supposed to expand horizontally (like the Tampax Pearl), and they pretty much never expand so perhaps I should get a narrow cup? I think I'll give a short cup a try and upgrade if necessary.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm another DivaCup convert from the GBS thread!

I'm also another member of the Inside-Out Club. I was so frustrated when I first got my cup because although I was able to put the thing in and get it out again, I couldn't figure out why it would keep sliding down whenever I stood up, to the point where it became uncomfortable to walk. It never even occurred to me that my cervix might be lower than average; I just assumed I had a weird shaped freak vagina that the cup couldn't form a seal in or something. I cut the stem shorter and shorter until it was gone, and almost gave up on the cup altogether, but then I thought about turning it inside out and gave that a shot, because what the hell, I'm on the verge of throwing this thing out, anyway. It worked! I've been in love with my cup ever since.

Whenever I'm in the market for a new cup I might try one of those shorter brands, but so far the DivaCup has been so much better than any other period solution I've ever tried, it's unreal.

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm very interested in trying one, but I'm a little worried about how secure they are. I used Nuvaring for a while and more often than not it would slip out whenever I went to the bathroom. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned how the cup would accidentally slip off in the mornings when she went to pee, but only because it was full. Unlike other activities, the bathroom incorporates the body pushing everything out. So does anyone else have this problem or should it not be an issue?

This feels weird to post about on the Internet, but we're all grown-up ladies, right? Though I've never had any issues while peeing, the act of pooping definitely pushes my cup down a little bit. It's never to the point where I think it's going to come out or anything, just to where I can feel it. I'm in the bathroom with my pants down when this happens anyway (one hopes), so once I'm done with #2, I just stick a finger in and shove the cup back up into place and everything's fine again. :)

fully adequite posted:

Oh god there's blood everywhere :cry:

A couple of times I've rushed things too much and accidentally... uh... put the thing in sideways. Did you do that, maybe?

• Locked thread