Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sue Denim posted:

Oh I didn't say they were all bad, just an observation.

Just kind of you know, 'look a penis!' is a tad childish.

Plus I feel bad for the audience in attendance, a cruel, cruel joke from their perspective.

Owen Hart used to wear a red clown nose in house show matches and give drifters rides to the wrong cities. But we love him all the same for it.

Ribbing the boys who can take it (Like Al Snow, who takes wrestling far too serious but can still laugh at himself, same with Holly) is always okay. It's when they can't or things get malicious (making GBS threads in bags, hounding a WWE diva for her picture being used for a Japanese strip club flyer) that it goes too far.

Of course, giving a drifter a ride to the wrong city is a pretty big rear end in a top hat thing to do, but I doubt it ruined the guys life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Sue Denim posted:

Oh I didn't say they were all bad, just an observation.

Just kind of you know, 'look a penis!' is a tad childish.

Plus I feel bad for the audience in attendance, a cruel, cruel joke from their perspective.

What are you, Al's Mom?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Lone Rogue posted:

Good gay joke: Henry Rollin's talking about the rumour of him being gay on a Spoken Word

This was on the "Think Tank" double-disc. I know because I own it. His spoken word work is fantastic, he's funnier than most professional stand-ups. /derail

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Neodoomium posted:

What are you, Al's Mom?

I think you've just solved a number of riddles.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I've only seen/heard him in about 3 or 4 volumes of Shimmer and in that "CM Punk, People Person" Youtube clip, so I was wondering, is Dave Prazak a good commentary guy or manager?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

CM Funk posted:

This was on the "Think Tank" double-disc. I know because I own it. His spoken word work is fantastic, he's funnier than most professional stand-ups. /derail
This is a fantastic set.

I am not Al Snow's mother, but I do find the whole thing a little crass. Just my tastes, I suppose.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mayostard posted:

I've only seen/heard him in about 3 or 4 volumes of Shimmer and in that "CM Punk, People Person" Youtube clip, so I was wondering, is Dave Prazak a good commentary guy or manager?

He does heel commentary for ROH and he's really good at telling a story and putting a story over, and as ROH uses a slightly more kayfabe style it works really well. He also has a touch of Bobby Heenan in his calling style in blatantly covering for the heels during the matches which works really well. He's no Jim Ross, but I don't think that many people are.

One of his best points is that unlike Michael Cole, if the match is really cooking and is some serious five star poo poo he'll just go with the match and get excited and really put over the match instead of talking through it.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

LordPants posted:

He does heel commentary for ROH and he's really good at telling a story and putting a story over, and as ROH uses a slightly more kayfabe style it works really well. He also has a touch of Bobby Heenan in his calling style in blatantly covering for the heels during the matches which works really well. He's no Jim Ross, but I don't think that many people are.

One of his best points is that unlike Michael Cole, if the match is really cooking and is some serious five star poo poo he'll just go with the match and get excited and really put over the match instead of talking through it.

You just described JBL.

I miss JBL.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

George Kaplan posted:

You just described JBL.

I miss JBL.

I'm not saying that JBL is alone in this, but he had three or four phrases that it seemed like he said every single night. I think I could go my whole life without ever hearing "lights on bright" ever again.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Goog posted:

I'm not saying that JBL is alone in this, but he had three or four phrases that it seemed like he said every single night. I think I could go my whole life without ever hearing "lights on bright" ever again.

When you're a wrestling god you can say whatever you damm well please :colbert:

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey, is there a term for when douchebag smarks in the audience in a wrasslin' show start to consider themselves an integral part of the experience and start doing deliberate attention-whoring stuff? I think the best example I can think of is that guy who wouldn't stop chanting Super Dragon or when Ring of Honor audiences start chanting "This is awesome" at stuff.

EDIT: Also, what's the deal with this "Green Lantern Fan" fellow? A quick shufti at Google suggests something about timing matches and being a bit weird, but most stuff is buried under recut film trailer footage set to Godsmack songs.

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 27, 2011

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
"Matt Hardy is a main event waiting to happen!"

He just didn't tell us it would be for TNA.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

jfjnpxmy posted:

Also, what's the deal with this "Green Lantern Fan" fellow? A quick shufti at Google suggests something about timing matches and being a bit weird, but most stuff is buried under recut film trailer footage set to Godsmack songs.

It seems like anyone who has been around him at a show hates him. I'm sure some of the posters here have Green Lantern Fan stories. I'm pretty sure he has friends that he goes to shows with that wear Green Lantern shirts too.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Grantonio posted:

It seems like anyone who has been around him at a show hates him. I'm sure some of the posters here have Green Lantern Fan stories. I'm pretty sure he has friends that he goes to shows with that wear Green Lantern shirts too.

- tries to skip to the front of the line at ROH house shows
- crashed Candido's funeral
- proposed to his girlfriend on an episode of monday night raw in the early 90s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How did WWE pull off the Paul Bearer burial at GAB04? And how ridiculous did the internet think that storyline was?

Also, have there been any other notable feuds between a singles wrestler and a tag team? The only one that comes to mind is Brock/Hardys

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

Paul Bearer
You know what's really sad?

I only noticed that his name was a pun yesterday.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

You know what's really sad?

I only noticed that his name was a pun yesterday.

Which is ironic because your name is also a pun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sue Denim posted:

his name was a pun

Whaaaa? :aaa:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
the definition of ironic
:goonsay:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

Whaaaa? :aaa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pall-bearer

Someone who carries a casket during a funeral service, which I all ready knew which makes it even worse.

Unless you're mocking me, in which case: Woteva!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Which is ironic because your name is also a pun.
It sure is, buddy!

Super Dragon is a dick, that guy was annoying but he was cheering him. Unless he was just doing a heel schtick.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Rarity posted:

How did WWE pull off the Paul Bearer burial at GAB04? And how ridiculous did the internet think that storyline was?

They did it with taste and decorum, recognizing the event as the solemn tragedy that it truly was.

Nah, gently caress that. They stuck poor Paul in the Cole Mine and filled it with oatmeal. Heyman started filling it during the match, then Taker pulled the lever to "double super fast" to finish it off. They also sent the rehearsal footage to the PPV satellite, for the world to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KTSOm1nZE

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Super Dragon is a dick, that guy was annoying but he was cheering him. Unless he was just doing a heel schtick.

That's pretty much his heel thing, or at least it was the couple of times I saw him. Guy would threaten fans during his entrance and stuff like that; I recall him yanking a pair of earphones from a guy's ears during a JAPW show.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
This Undertaker is much scarier.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rarity posted:

I wouldn't be able to explain the stunt, but apparently video leaked online of them rehearsing it. The Great American Bash '04 main event got a Wrestlecrap entry. Even by 2004 the Dudleys were incredibly stale and the match itself makes no sense. The Undertaker saves Paul from the cement. . . In order to bury him in the cement anyway.

Smackdown in this time frame always had terrible PPV cards.

quote:

Do not be disruptive at an indy show or wrestlers will gently caress with you. This should be expected when you are being incredibly annoying in whatever tiny little gymnasium they booked for the show. People came to watch the show, not watch you try and get yourself over and be a moron.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 27, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Do not be disruptive at an indy show or wrestlers will gently caress with you. This should be expected when you are being incredibly annoying in whatever tiny little gymnasium they booked for the show. People came to watch the show, not watch you try and get yourself over and be a moron.
I guess indie wrestling is like any other performance medium with a small, tight dedicated audience, the no talent people in the audience like to make themselves feel special or superior by taking an elitist of approach of 'I'm a better fan than you because I do/don't do thing x'.

They sound like scene kids without the sex, drugs or cool hair styles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sue Denim posted:

Unless you're mocking me, in which case: Woteva!

Nope, I'm mocking me. I never noticed that until you said it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rarity posted:

How did WWE pull off the Paul Bearer burial at GAB04?

Bearer has teased revealing how they did it once Taker retires or he writes his autobiography or something.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Bearer has teased revealing how they did it once Taker retires or he writes his autobiography or something.

Autobiography, drunken rant after too many tallboys, what's the difference really?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Green Lantern Fan is an enormous douchebag who tries his very, very hardest to make sure he's the most important man on a show, including the wrestlers. He has a posse of ogres and trolls that accompany him to a show, which means he buys a lot of tickets. You will usually see him scalping tickets right outside the venue and yelling TICKETS!! I GOT TICKETS HERE!!!!!!!! before every show. He also times every match. The funniest instance of this is when (iirc) Samoa Joe beat Xavier for the title. GLF stands up and cheers for half a second, and then immediately checks his stopwatch to see how long the match was.

There's two GLF stories that pissed me off the most.

1. Double Feature in 2008 in New Jersey, the shows where they taped the final scene of The Wrestler. They're about to shoot the scene where Ram makes an emotional speech to the crowd. Darren Aronofsky comes out and asks the crowd very nicely to watch in silence, and to not make any noise.

So in the middle of the speech when Ram pauses for dramatic effect, GLF yells out WE LOVE YA RAM

2. Glory by Honor VI Night 1 in 2007 in Philadelphia. The first night of Misawa weekend. The main event is Misawa & KENTA vs. Morishima & Marufuji. The match goes on for awhile, but it doesn't feel like it had been. That is, until Misawa starts setting Morishima up for what looks like a big move on the top rope...and GLF, Timekeeper Extraordinaire, screams "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!!!!!!!!!" and they're forced to end the match with Morishima on top and everyone looking like an idiot because of that fat spergy gently caress.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Blankman posted:

Autobiography, drunken rant after too many tallboys, what's the difference really?

The amount of references to your father. Or, in this case, which father you're referencing.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Captain Charisma posted:

Green Lantern Fan is an enormous douchebag who tries his very, very hardest to make sure he's the most important man on a show, including the wrestlers.

I remember seeing him at Chikara's Baltimore show, which was also Manami Toyota's US debut. He didn't look like he was enjoying a single thing that was going on, and barely even looked interested when Toyota came out and wrestled her match.

I saw him at Chikara's other Philly shows later that year and back in January, and had pretty much the same :geno: expression the whole show.

I wanted to say to him, "You know, if you can't even be entertained by Chikara, maybe you shouldn't bother coming."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Green Lantern Fan is an enormous douchebag

Two questions spring to mind - did him yelling make it into the movie? Also, they actually ended the match early because some random douchebag in the crowd was timing it?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Captain Charisma posted:

2. Glory by Honor VI Night 1 in 2007 in Philadelphia. The first night of Misawa weekend. The main event is Misawa & KENTA vs. Morishima & Marufuji. The match goes on for awhile, but it doesn't feel like it had been. That is, until Misawa starts setting Morishima up for what looks like a big move on the top rope...and GLF, Timekeeper Extraordinaire, screams "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!!!!!!!!!" and they're forced to end the match with Morishima on top and everyone looking like an idiot because of that fat spergy gently caress.

If he'd ended up in the hospital later that night with injuries seemingly consistent with being Tiger Drivered senseless, I bet there would have mysteriously been no witnesses.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sue Denim posted:

I guess indie wrestling is like any other performance medium with a small, tight dedicated audience, the no talent people in the audience like to make themselves feel special or superior by taking an elitist of approach of 'I'm a better fan than you because I do/don't do thing x'.

They sound like scene kids without the sex, drugs or cool hair styles.

from the point of the wrestlers, I can understand how they would be severely irritated by a disruptive fan at a show. Someone making the show less appealing to other fans could lead to a lower gate, and thus a smaller payday.

I don't think it's elitist so much as being smart enough not to act like a dick in public.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Two questions spring to mind - did him yelling make it into the movie? Also, they actually ended the match early because some random douchebag in the crowd was timing it?

1. No.

2. It got everyone in the crowd to start counting down. They had to do it.

quote:

If he'd ended up in the hospital later that night with injuries seemingly consistent with being Tiger Drivered senseless, I bet there would have mysteriously been no witnesses.

Misawa had this look of "What in the gently caress" when they rang the bell

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Lamuella posted:

from the point of the wrestlers, I can understand how they would be severely irritated by a disruptive fan at a show. Someone making the show less appealing to other fans could lead to a lower gate, and thus a smaller payday.

I don't think it's elitist so much as being smart enough not to act like a dick in public.

yeah really. I don't think "don't scream SU PER DRA GON nonstop for two minutes while everyone else is silent" is an elitist attitude

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

There is unquestionably elitism in indie wrestling fans. Just as strong as scene kids.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lone Rogue posted:

There is unquestionably elitism in indie wrestling fans. Just as strong as scene kids.

well, clearly. I don't think the reaction to the "Super Dragon" guy is part of that elitism.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Lone Rogue posted:

Don't wrestling promotions always say they're fans are part of the show? I'm not sure what this timer guy did that was wrong. If other fans were chanting with him, then he managed to get himself more over than the match, kudos to him.

Obey the time limits stated or prepare to get ridiculed. Seems fair? We're past the age of fans having their intelligence insulted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't get mad at anyone for trying to start a chant, I do hate when someone continues their own chant and you can hear the desperation in their voice.