Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Spencerb posted:

I'm the pilot of the Wolfhound.

What should I do?

Becoming a phantom mech able player would be good right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Keru posted:

Becoming a phantom mech able player would be good right about now.

Really really hope that you're an orphan born of turkey-baster lostech.

That or hope you lose a leg before your face and surrender. If you manage to make a good showing you might have a chance.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Spencerb posted:

What should I do?

With my obviously vast, yet subtle, command of knowledge regarding your tactical situation, I recommend you finding a nest/hive/production plant/summoning circle of whatever the hell these demon REDACTED are, train/subvert/bargain away your soul for command of them, and then proceed to unleash a fell apocalypse upon your foes. Also, shoot everyone in the face for good measure, since there may or may not still be a possibility you die despite your best/most dishonorable efforts

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Tactical Time

Proposed General Rule: Nobody interferes with a one on one duel unless the player in the duel explicitly asks. It's their call, not ours if they want us to come and help out.

Warlocke, Angry_Ed, if you want backup now'd be a good time to tell us so we can combine. If you think you can at least drag this fight out and spend time without pissing the clanners off, let's stick to that.

Rommel: Happily, you have no honor. Suggest you move to 1717 and unleash that AC/20 onto the Nova. 1717 because you still have line of sight against B2, and are still in your short range for the AC/20, but the rise to your west may make them move somewhere they'd rather not if they want to get a good shot on you. Alternately, you can evade and hope to not be noticed before you get a better shot on another mech in a few rounds. Your TH will not be good against the Nova. It is not likely to be very good against anyone coming, either, but it may be a little better.

Banshee/Cyclops: Keep to 3-6 hexes of the enemy, try to keep moving at least 3 hexes a turn, and stay in cover if you possibly can. Good luck.

Wolfhound: If we're going to break zellbrigen, use that mobility of yours to try to get behind clan mechs. If not... fuckin hide, dude. Make them chase your rear end as long as possible. It's very likely you'll be the last survivor on our side. Make them work for it.

Me: I am torn between staying in my little hidey hole and continuing to draw pretty fire pictures up north, or bum rushing forward towards the woods I set on fire. :3: If Warlocke wants my support, I can get an 8 to-hit with my LRM-15 and AC/5, and a 10 to-hit with my large and 2 medium lasers. I might get lucky. If not, I might start a bum rush for the burning woods and see if I can annoy Clanners into fumbling around in a forest fire for my assault rear end.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Wolfhound suggestion: Challenge Clanners to a race.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mukaikubo posted:

Rommel: Happily, you have no honor. Suggest you move to 1717 and unleash that AC/20 onto the Nova.

Meaning the Rommel can shank people and NOT cause a free-for-all murderfest because of the way Clanners see vehicles to start with?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

B1 Battle Cobra fires 2 Large Pulse Lasers at Banshee
B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 7, hit right torso (20/30 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra fires Large Pulse Laser at L3 Banshee (3 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 range + 1 light woods - 2 Pulse Laser = 5): rolled 5, hit right arm (11/21 armor remains)!
B1 Battle Cobra gains 21 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

Shouldn't this force a piloting check on the Banshee? I don't want to be a rules lawyer, but I have a feeling we're gonna see a metric fuckton of 20+ damage turns once things get to short range.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

the yeti posted:

Meaning the Rommel can shank people and NOT cause a free-for-all murderfest because of the way Clanners see vehicles to start with?

...probably.

Maybe.

Hopefully.

:ohdear:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

the yeti posted:

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor. In short, the Rommel should only do this if it wishes to die quickly and painfully.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of whether or not the Rommel would break Zellbrigen, keep in mind we are fighting Steel Vipers and Steel Vipers are dicks. Take for example the Battle Cobra. This is an honor duel and the prick is hiding in a forest. :v:

Course I just realized we don't technically know what does and doesn't break Zellbrigen.

That said I'm just glad my initial exchange with the Battle Cobra was pretty even, and I still feel confident that, barring any more hits like that to my Right Torso, I should be able to win this fight.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

landcollector posted:

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor.

According to PTN, they're free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor no matter what it does, which is why that tactic was thought up in the first place.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

landcollector posted:

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor. In short, the Rommel should only do this if it wishes to die quickly and painfully.

They'll be doing that anyway. The Rommel doesn't even count towards victory; best that it make itself as useful as possible.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They'll be doing that anyway. The Rommel doesn't even count towards victory; best that it make itself as useful as possible.

Hmm. I see. Oh well, make the Clanners earn this area with blood and metal. :black101:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Folks, now you see just why people familiar with the game and friendly to the players are freaking out. Think of this as the difference between 2011 America and 1939 Japan.

(Hint: in this case, the bad guys are America.)

Not only do the clans have an absolutely crushing technological advantage - think of them as being two technology levels removed from IS level 1 - because you have IS Level 2, and then Clan - but they have a massive numbers and weight advantage.

To put this in perspective, that Nova's pilot bid away half of his armament because he feels reasonably certain he can kill a Cyclops with only the guns on his right arm. He is not wrong.

Unless PTN has a lot - and I do mean a lot - of Deus ex Machina up his sleeve, this fight is going to be a curb-stomp battle not in the player's favor.

And by an appropriate amount of Deus ex Machina, we're talking about a full company of Star League-era Royals showing up. That's about what it would take to turn this into a fair fight.

Frankly, I think we're already seeing a good part of what will adjust the mission to be doable, if not remotely easy: the clanners being arrogant dicks and deliberately handicapping themselves. The Battle Cobra is going up against the least favorable IS mech. The Nova's only using one arm. I wouldn't be surprised if the heavies bid away even more. And, of course, they've been advancing one at a time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

OK, so what kind of kitbashed Black Hawk/Nova is this that walks and jumps 6? Some kind of special Mechwarrior ability? Little confused.

One that was designed from the get-go with Ferro Fiberous armor.

landcollector posted:

Technically, yes. However, should the mech in question survive it will be free and clear to open up on the Rommel with its full weapons loadout without losing honor.

They can all do that anyway, since tanks are inherently Dezgra.

Mary Annette posted:

Shouldn't this force a piloting check on the Banshee? I don't want to be a rules lawyer, but I have a feeling we're gonna see a metric fuckton of 20+ damage turns once things get to short range.

Yes, it should've, but I hosed up (and didn't catch it myself by the time the update is posted), I'm probably not going to go back and change it unless it's something huge. A single piloting check isn't huge.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 27, 2011

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, it should've, but I hosed up (and didn't catch it myself by the time the update is posted), I'm probably not going to go back and change it unless it's something huge. A single piloting check isn't huge.

That's cool. It's good to be chill and cool about gam-

PoptartsNinja posted:

6/9/6 Nova with Ferro-Fibrous

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

You aren't using the "Mark 1 Omnis" that someone claimed they found in an old out-of-print magazine are you?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

You aren't using the "Mark 1 Omnis" that someone claimed they found in an old out-of-print magazine are you?

Not exactly, no.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm going to win my bet and you will all be wiped out by turn 15 :D

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

PoptartsNinja posted:

And Endo-Steel. I wondered how you made the criticals fit until I noticed you dropped a DHS. 6/9/6 with an extra ton for ECM. Elegant.

If you improved the construction materials for the Loki as well, it'll change from 'quite bad' to 'pretty dangerous'. drat.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

And Endo-Steel. I wondered how you made the criticals fit until I noticed you dropped a DHS. 6/9/6 with an extra ton for ECM. Elegant.

If you improved the construction materials for the Loki as well, it'll change from 'quite bad' to 'pretty dangerous'. drat.

I have to wonder if PTN shrank the toumans a bit to account for the added resource cost of fancier equipment, assuming he revised most or all of the Clans' Omnis in this way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

Banshee/Cyclops: Keep to 3-6 hexes of the enemy, try to keep moving at least 3 hexes a turn, and stay in cover if you possibly can. Good luck.

I still want to drag these honor duels out because frankly the longer we keep the clans from focusing their full firepower on us the better it is for us. That said I don't think I want to close with the Battle Cobra just yet necessarily, so would it be a good idea to walk backwards while firing in an effort to goad the Cobra's pilot into leaving the forest and coming after me? For that matter, does walking backwards incur pilot checks?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think walking backwards incurs a pilot check if you change elevation while you do it (IE up or down a slope) but not if you're on flat ground.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But wouldn't the concrete force the check?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

But wouldn't the concrete force the check?

you can't run backwards, and you only roll if you run and turn on pavement

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh gently caress me I had no idea how overwhelmingly superior clan mechs are compared to inner sphere ones. I spent basically all the time where you guys who actually know about this stuff were talking about how hosed we were when we fight them and I was thinking "Oh it can't be that bad surely."

I am now more than a little concerned for what's going to happen when we get far enough down the roster that I get a go.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Affi posted:

I'm going to win my bet and you will all be wiped out by turn 15 :D

I just have to hope the bidding gets even more ridiculous and eventually the clan mechs start walking on their hand or putting on blindfolds. Still would probably end up to close for comfort.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ActionZero posted:

I am now more than a little concerned for what's going to happen when we get far enough down the roster that I get a go.

Well, in the other timeline the IS kills enough Clanners through attrition (and abuse of the Clan code of honor) that they cobbel together some Clantech (and nearly-clan-tech) of their own, so you may end up far enough down the line that the parity gets better rather than worse.

Or you might get to play as the ComGuard, with the toys they have stashed away for a rainy day.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

ActionZero posted:

Oh gently caress me I had no idea how overwhelmingly superior clan mechs are compared to inner sphere ones. I spent basically all the time where you guys who actually know about this stuff were talking about how hosed we were when we fight them and I was thinking "Oh it can't be that bad surely."

Here's better - the Clans have not yet pulled out the truly unfair poo poo. This is them holding back.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Mukaikubo posted:

Rommel: Happily, you have no honor. Suggest you move to 1717 and unleash that AC/20 onto the Nova. 1717 because you still have line of sight against B2, and are still in your short range for the AC/20, but the rise to your west may make them move somewhere they'd rather not if they want to get a good shot on you. Alternately, you can evade and hope to not be noticed before you get a better shot on another mech in a few rounds. Your TH will not be good against the Nova. It is not likely to be very good against anyone coming, either, but it may be a little better.

I'm already on this. As I said in the PM, what kind of self-respecting sergeant lets his CO run off and get himself killed?

quote:

What should I do?

Run every turn, don't shoot unless it shoots first.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Tempest_56 posted:

Here's better - the Clans have not yet pulled out the truly unfair poo poo. This is them holding back.

Define "truly unfair poo poo."

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Trast posted:

Obviously, they're talking about the REDACTED.

Truly, truly unfair poo poo.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Trast posted:

Redacted

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Trast posted:

Using Inner Sphere tactics (like focused fire) and using all their 'mech's weapons at once.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Orbital WarShip bombardment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They've got all those shitbits in their conventions banning orbital bombardment.

Even though Rods from God are THE BEST weapon for influencing ground-based warfare once space supremacy has been achieved.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
People keep going on and on and on about the bloody REDACTED. I'm not scared of a blacked-out word. Give me a name that I can look up, or just get around to showing them off already. I realize they haven't been mentioned by name before now to build up suspense for when they're finally revealed, but at this point, people going REDACTED over and over again is having the opposite effect, at least for me.

In other words, as far as these so-called REDACTED are concerned, now's the time to put up or shut up. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What combat units do Clans use that aren't mechs, tanks, fighters or warships?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm pretty sure I know what "redacted" are thanks to looking at an old novel cover and going "really? Boy, that sure is a dumb-looking element of the cover."

So this is a case where you're pretty much best off waiting to see how badly [REDACTED] shreds in actual play rather than looking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what "redacted" are thanks to looking at an old novel cover and going "really? Boy, that sure is a dumb-looking element of the cover."

So this is a case where you're pretty much best off waiting to see how badly [REDACTED] shreds in actual play rather than looking it up.
I'd tend to agree. They're something which do not sound in theory as good as they are in practice.

• Locked thread