Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How could he flaunt facial hair if he was only in the room for days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

regulargonzalez posted:

How could he flaunt facial hair if he was only in the room for days?

gently caress! You're right, I have it totally backwards. Time passed more quickly INSIDE the room. Thank you for pointing out the error in my logic.

Auriak fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 26, 2011

titus androgynous
Jul 14, 2008
Way, WAY late, but I have answers for two requests made last year:

pandabear posted:

There's a children's book I've read back in the early 90s. It was in picture-book format, but the entire story was told in comic-format, but not in a graphic novel or superhero style, but more like the Calvin and Hobbes Sunday strips. In fact, I was pretty sure it was in watercolor. Anyway, it starts off with two elderly mustached brothers telling their story about when they were young (I think, I'm a bit fuzzy), which launches into the main plot of them being lost in a snowstorm. The two brothers, though children, still had cute little black mustaches (like Dr. Watson), and were incredibly funny to my elementary aged self. Once scene was when the older brother was trying to cheer up the crying younger brother (due to them being lost in the snow):
Older brother: "Hey, want to know a secret?" (I think he might have played it up more, like saying it was the best secret ever or something)
Younger brother: *quiets down in his bawling, and nods*
Older brother: (triumphantly) "No two snowflakes are the same."
Younger brother: *stares at him and starts bawling again*

I remember them being bundled up in round snowsuits, and knowing that this particular book was the sequel to the first children's book that starred them, which I believe had something to do with rain, maybe?

I've been googling for it, but have turned up nothing. Hopefully, someone remembers this book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stevenson_%28illustrator%29#Grandpa.2C_Mary_Ann_and_Louie_series

Don't know the specific book, but it's from this series, possibly Worse Than Willy. In that one the grandfather's brother Willy comes to visit and they begin telling stories about their childhood. There might be other books that feature both of them, though, and there's definitely a book about rain flooding their house. I loved that series.

Shieala posted:

Sci-fi story about a middle-aged man who composes beautiful commercial jingles in a future where advertising has taken over and no meaningful music is created, starts a musical rebellion which threatens the corporations, is imprisoned, is released as an old man and discovers that his movement was successful, spends his days attending concerts, turns out he's deaf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Biggle,_Jr.

I'm fairly sure "The Tunesmith" is the one you want. I've read both the story you describe and this fantastic anthology, which includes that story.

My turn! I am looking for:

1. A short story I first read about in a thread here. It takes place in a small town on a future Earth in which the laws of physics are subject to change randomly and without warning. A load of people have died that way and the remaining citizens are pretty nihilistic about it. I distinctly remember one scene where a man's beer changes into something unstable and explodes in his hand, and another scene where the sidewalk suddenly melts and a guy is sucked into it before it changes back.

2. A collection of horror stories for kids. The story I remember most clearly is one in which a bunch of kids goes into the woods with a book of magic spells; they try one to summon rain, but it doesn't work, so they get bored and do the obligatory "let's cast the worst spell in the book" thing and end up summoning these Sasquatch things. They build a huge fire to fend the creatures off, which works fine until their rain spell belatedly kicks in.

Another story-- I'd swear it was listed first in the collection-- is about a girl whose friend keeps seeing things out of the corner of her eye and is convinced that they're supernatural things coming to get her. The main character scoffs, until one night (they're neighbors and she can see right into the other girl's bedroom from her window) she sees her friend being attacked by a bunch of tiny creatures. The book was definitely illustrated because there was a picture of the girl screaming and all these hands clutching at her. Also I'm pretty sure the collection included a short story by Bruce Coville about his character Nina Tanleven.

I don't think it was one of Coville's 'Book of Monsters/Nightmares/etc'... I've looked through them all and none of the titles stand out, plus I think the book was for slightly older children and was creepier than his usual fare. However I read dozens and dozens of anthologies like this over the years and it's possible that this is a mashup of stories I remember from different books...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

titus androgynous posted:

1. A short story I first read about in a thread here. It takes place in a small town on a future Earth in which the laws of physics are subject to change randomly and without warning. A load of people have died that way and the remaining citizens are pretty nihilistic about it. I distinctly remember one scene where a man's beer changes into something unstable and explodes in his hand, and another scene where the sidewalk suddenly melts and a guy is sucked into it before it changes back.

Holy gently caress now I want to know what this is too. It sounds hosed up, like the reality cancer of China Miéville's cacotopic stain.

titus androgynous
Jul 14, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Holy gently caress now I want to know what this is too. It sounds hosed up, like the reality cancer of China Miéville's cacotopic stain.

It was awesome, and I really want to reread it. I've been googling things like 'sci fi beer explode sidewalk death' for months but I can't even find the original thread :(

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
I'm looking for a children's book that was an anthology of short stories. I can't remember much about anything other than one story, which was set in some exotic place and was about battening down the hatches because there was a severe sand storm coming. The whole thing had an eerie feeling to it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I know this and I'm mad at you for bringing it up, because goddamn it's going to bug me forever until someone finds it. Please find it soon! It reminds me of the story that was adapted into a Twilight Zone episode, with the monstrous boy Anthony and everyone has to be happy all the time or he does things to them. I think I read them at the same time, probably in the thread you mentioned. I can never remember what the story's called...

e: It's a Good Life.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I love the Twilight Zone but prefer to read. Is there anywhere I can read any other short stories that were adapted into Twilight Zone episodes, or does anyone have any recommendations?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2011

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
^^^ John Collier's pretty much my favorite short story author and he wrote for Twilight Zone, check him out.

Robert McCammon, Something Passed By is the name of the story I think, it's from his collection Blue World.

titus androgynous
Jul 14, 2008

Ballsworthy posted:

Robert McCammon, Something Passed By is the name of the story I think, it's from his collection Blue World.

YESSS, thank you! Here it is if anyone else wants to read. It's even more messed up than I remembered.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

eating only apples posted:

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I love the Twilight Zone but prefer to read. Is there anywhere I can read any other short stories that were adapted into Twilight Zone episodes, or does anyone have any recommendations?

You can find a pretty big selection of old paperbacks on Amazon for dirt cheap. An uncle gave me one of these anthologies as a kid, I distinctly remember it having "It's a Good Life."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I know this has already been answered, but it also happens in a book called Deadworld by Bryan Smith. The random portals and loving up people bit I mean.

The book is pretty good. Not terrific, but it kinda hammers home the "OH WE ARE SO hosed" aspect of having random wormhole things pop open all over the place.

Worth a read at least.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My turn! I am looking for:

http://www.robertmccammon.com/fiction/something.html Something Passed By....

Opens with:

quote:

Johnny James was sitting on the front porch, sipping from a glass of gasoline in the December heat, when the doomscreamer came. Of course, doomscreamers were nothing new; these days they were as common as blue moons. This one was of the usual variety: skinny-framed, with haunted dark eyes and a long black beard full of dust and filth. He wore dirty khaki trousers and a faded green Izod shirt, and on his feet were sandals made from tires with the emblem still showing: Michelin. Johnny sipped his Exxon Super Unleaded and pondered that the doomscreamer's outfit must be the yuppie version of sackcloth and ashes.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I read this sci-fi anthology when I was a kid, and I've been trying to track it down because it's one of my favorite childhood memories. I thought maybe if someone recognizes one of the stories within I could find it that way.

The stories I remember:
-Follows a group of kids
-I think mankind is living underground?
-Someone's family wants to install a window in their house, people think they're crazy.
-One of the kids has a robot that looks like a big mean soldier, but it's got the wrong AI-chip installed and has the personlity of an old grandma.
-They were all really psyched about some King Arthur show on tv.

-Takes place on some other planet, the family are one of the first to settle there
-There are these non-intelligent creatures there that are used for labour? They are bred by the humans.
-The creatures only live a certain amount of years.
-A young girl gets one of these creatures for a playmate, they eventually become friends.
-The creature dies, the girl is sad.
-Not too sure about the ending, but the twist was that the creatures did not die when their bodies died. Instead, they turn into light/a more advanced being.

-Takes place in a school.
-Main character, a boy, is bullied both by his friends and by his genious dad.
-Genious dad invents some sort of machine that eliminates all the dirt from an environment, this invention is installed everywhere.
-Gradually, people begin to lose hair, turns out it's a side-effect of the cleaning-machine
-No idea how it ends

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Ok, so I've been trying to google this for a while with no luck.

It was a series of books that I read back in middle school, so think mid-late 90s. It was some sort of kids-in-school-with-superpowers story, probably some Scholastic schlock. The only thing I really remember about it was that one of the villains/antagonists was a dark haired girl with some sort of green lightning/electricity power. I think she may have been featured on one of the covers.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Admiral Goodenough posted:

-Takes place on some other planet, the family are one of the first to settle there
-There are these non-intelligent creatures there that are used for labour? They are bred by the humans.
-The creatures only live a certain amount of years.
-A young girl gets one of these creatures for a playmate, they eventually become friends.
-The creature dies, the girl is sad.
-Not too sure about the ending, but the twist was that the creatures did not die when their bodies died. Instead, they turn into light/a more advanced being.

I remember reading this one too--would really appreciate it if someone could remember the title. I do recall that the girl in the story named the alien "Kirk".

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Also can't remember the name of the 3rd story Admiral Goodenough mentions, which is annoying as I've read it several times. It ends with the inventor finding a way to grow grass on people's heads, but then they start worrying about the roots... I was thinking Roald Dahl, but wikipedia seems to suggest not.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Once I was in the hospital for about a month and I couldn't leave the room, and since I had pretty much nothing to do I read books, and I ended up reading a book a day or so (from the hospital library). Recently I've been trying to go back and buy some of the books I read on Amazon and re-read them, and there is one book I remember but can't recall the title or author.

There's this guy who has some sort of major health issue. These scientists think that they can cure him using something controversial, like stem cells or something, and putting them into his brain. Anyway, somebody is trying to stop them for some reason (the guy was the head of a company, maybe, and his competitors wanted him dead, something like that) and they sent hit men after the scientists to kill them.

The end is the part I really remember. They are all ready to go with the procedure to cure him and he's unconscious and has this cage thing on his head that they used to line up the brain surgery or the needle or whatever and when they are wheeling him in they accidentally hit the bed on the doorframe, but don't mention it to the doctor. It turns out that the cage thing on his head moved a bit when it hit the door, and since the doctor didn't know he performed the procedure anyway. What happens is the wrong part of the brain was affected by the cure and then the guy wakes up and is basically insane and believes that he is Jesus.

It's probably not a very good book but I want to read it again anyway. Any ideas?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Once I was in the hospital for about a month and I couldn't leave the room, and since I had pretty much nothing to do I read books, and I ended up reading a book a day or so (from the hospital library). Recently I've been trying to go back and buy some of the books I read on Amazon and re-read them, and there is one book I remember but can't recall the title or author.

There's this guy who has some sort of major health issue. These scientists think that they can cure him using something controversial, like stem cells or something, and putting them into his brain. Anyway, somebody is trying to stop them for some reason (the guy was the head of a company, maybe, and his competitors wanted him dead, something like that) and they sent hit men after the scientists to kill them.

The end is the part I really remember. They are all ready to go with the procedure to cure him and he's unconscious and has this cage thing on his head that they used to line up the brain surgery or the needle or whatever and when they are wheeling him in they accidentally hit the bed on the doorframe, but don't mention it to the doctor. It turns out that the cage thing on his head moved a bit when it hit the door, and since the doctor didn't know he performed the procedure anyway. What happens is the wrong part of the brain was affected by the cure and then the guy wakes up and is basically insane and believes that he is Jesus.

It's probably not a very good book but I want to read it again anyway. Any ideas?

No idea, but this seems like a lovely book to leave lying around in a hospital library.

AShameFultroll
Feb 1, 2009
Anyone know of a short story about Earth building a starship for the first time and sending it on an expedition. When the starship finally returns they find Earth to be devastated by a nuclear war with no survivors. What seemed like a few years for them was actually 30,000 years or something for Earth.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Do they get the stem cells from the Turin Shroud? If so, it's Seizure by Robin Cook.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."

eating only apples posted:

Here's a html version of "It's A Good Life". Slightly different from the book, it is, yet equally disturbing.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Do they get the stem cells from the Turin Shroud? If so, it's Seizure by Robin Cook.

Yes! That looks like it. Thanks a ton!

morestuff posted:

No idea, but this seems like a lovely book to leave lying around in a hospital library.

For some reason most of the books I read from the hospital library were medical thrillers like that. Maybe donated by a nurse or doctor after they were done with them, or something, I don't know.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I don't know why doctors and nurses would want to read about work. I've been in the army for 7 years now and I won't even pick up a military fiction book.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Yes! That looks like it. Thanks a ton!

No problem, but I wouldn't thank me too soon, it's got some loving terrible reviews.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I don't know why doctors and nurses would want to read about work. I've been in the army for 7 years now and I won't even pick up a military fiction book.

I'm training in internal medicine and hematology as a doctor and I have watched each and every episode of House including the first four seasons twice. I find him a great parody of a real doctor and the character constantly offends my ethics while wishing I could be that superhero.

I have also read several accounts on how other doctors e.g. coroners work and try to maintain a wide focus.
I tend to regard my pre-grad training as if it's general training in all the medical fields (in Denmark it is so more than in the US). To give a lame comparison try to imagine training for most fields within your service. Grunt, logistics, communications, engineering, intelligence etc. That's the way I feel - I was trained to start everywhere during 6,5 years pregrad and 1,5 years postgrad before I could specialize and I have imagined myself becoming a specialist in many different fields. I try to keep at least conversational (between doctors) knowledge in several fields after these years.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Unkempt posted:

No problem, but I wouldn't thank me too soon, it's got some loving terrible reviews.

I seem to remember liking it when I read it, but also at the time I was on morphine and other stuff and would also occasionally watch television for ten or fifteen minutes before I slowly realized the tv wasn't actually on.

I've ordered it, so I guess I'll find out soon.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This is really bothering me.

The book whose character goes into a ton of detail about the varied tactile sensations and correct ways to eat cap'n crunch. He has a certain method to eating his cereal and it's pretty important to him.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is really bothering me.

The book whose character goes into a ton of detail about the varied tactile sensations and correct ways to eat cap'n crunch. He has a certain method to eating his cereal and it's pretty important to him.

Cryptonomicon.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

rasser posted:

I'm training in internal medicine and hematology as a doctor and I have watched each and every episode of House including the first four seasons twice. I find him a great parody of a real doctor and the character constantly offends my ethics while wishing I could be that superhero.

I have also read several accounts on how other doctors e.g. coroners work and try to maintain a wide focus.
I tend to regard my pre-grad training as if it's general training in all the medical fields (in Denmark it is so more than in the US). To give a lame comparison try to imagine training for most fields within your service. Grunt, logistics, communications, engineering, intelligence etc. That's the way I feel - I was trained to start everywhere during 6,5 years pregrad and 1,5 years postgrad before I could specialize and I have imagined myself becoming a specialist in many different fields. I try to keep at least conversational (between doctors) knowledge in several fields after these years.

Well reading journals and stuff like that I understand and is just professional development. Reading Tom Clancy / Robin Cook type stuff is in no way going to make me a better soldier, and I sincerely hope none of my leadership in the army takes any professional cues from his drivel. /derail

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
This is a novel that I remember reading around 98-99.
What I think I remember is that it was about a girl who finds out she is psychic, and then gets sent to a place/school with a bunch of other psychic kids that's housed in a large glass dome. I think the kids then try to escape.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bodhi Tea posted:

What I think I remember is that it was about a girl who finds out she is psychic, and then gets sent to a place/school with a bunch of other psychic kids that's housed in a large glass dome. I think the kids then try to escape.

Apart from the large glass dome that sounds like Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody, but then it's kind of a generic plot so it could be something else.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bodhi Tea posted:

Without the glass dome bit, it could be Mind-Find, Mind-Hold or Mind-Call by Wilanne Belden, a trilogy of books about psychic kids being sent to a special school. Mind-Find and Mind-Hold are about girls, and Mind-Call is about a brother and sister.

edit: And now I'm second-guessing that there wasn't a glass dome. It's been long enough since I read them that there very well could have been.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 2, 2011

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
Thanks for the help, but I don't think either of those are what I'm thinking about.

I figured my description was too vague for an accurate match, but it was worth a shot.

I can barely remember what happened in it, maybe there wasn't a glass dome...

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
There was a novel I once read that I didn't finish. I can't recall what it was about. In it there was a man who could stop time, but while time was frozen, he still aged. (That, or it took that time off his life and made him age quicker.) He ended up looking very old despite being very young from all the people he's saved with his power.

I also recall the main character remarking that he acted a lot differently than he used to, and (I think) becoming more bitter.

Also, the character is introduced around the beginning of the book I think.

I've googled all around and I've turned up nothing. I don't suppose anyone knows?

Edit: PM me if you know, this was never answered.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 7, 2011

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Hey I wonder if anyone can help me find an online copy of a very popular sci-fi short story - its the one where Earth is invaded by aliens however it turns out that space flight is actually very easy and humanity just missed it by chance.

Therefore Earth is actually more technologically advanced than the invaders.

I also think that the invaders may look like teddy bears, although that may be wrong. I'm sure its quite famous but I can't remember the title or author.

Thanks!

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Way, WAY late, but I have answers for two requests made last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stevenson_%28illustrator%29#Grandpa.2C_Mary_Ann_and_Louie_series

Don't know the specific book, but it's from this series, possibly Worse Than Willy. In that one the grandfather's brother Willy comes to visit and they begin telling stories about their childhood. There might be other books that feature both of them, though, and there's definitely a book about rain flooding their house. I loved that series.
Wow, that's totally it - you have no idea how happy I am! Thanks so much for clearing this up for me! I can't wait get my hands on the whole series and read through them. I think the book I might have been thinking of is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Brrr-James-Stevenson/dp/0688092101/ref=pd_sim_b_2
Now that you mention it, I'm not really sure if the brother was also there to tell the story; it probably was just the one grandpa.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Hey I wonder if anyone can help me find an online copy of a very popular sci-fi short story - its the one where Earth is invaded by aliens however it turns out that space flight is actually very easy and humanity just missed it by chance.

Therefore Earth is actually more technologically advanced than the invaders.

I also think that the invaders may look like teddy bears, although that may be wrong. I'm sure its quite famous but I can't remember the title or author.

Thanks!

It's 'The Road Not Taken' by Harry Turtledove. I'm not sure there's a legal copy online, but I guess a Google wouldn't hurt.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks, that was fast!

You don't by any chance know if there was a follow up or expanded version of this do you?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks, that was fast!

You don't by any chance know if there was a follow up or expanded version of this do you?

I'm pretty sure there was a sequel, but it was a short story too.

(googles) it's called 'Herbig Haro'. I've never read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Okay, I've got a pretty tough one. I saw this book on Amazon ages ago but never got around to ordering it...now I'm interested again. If I remember, it was a fairly modern book (or series of books) about a traveling American folk hero who may or may not have also been a musician. I think he was sort of a Johnny Appleseed/Davy Crockett character who encountered all sorts of legendary and outrageous characters throughout the book.

I hope that rough description is enough for someone!